Company withholding pay

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hi
I’ll preface this by saying I genuinely don’t know if anyone can help but I’m completely desperate.
I’ve worked for a company since November last year and they’ve paid me once. Around June they emailed to say I hadn’t returned some paperwork which is why I hadn’t been paid, so I returned all of that ASAP. In October they claimed they never got it. It is in my contract that this stuff had to be submitted- I accept that. They sent me some more paperwork which I completed and returned at the end of October. It’s now the end of November and there’s no payslip in sight. We’ve used all our savings, and I just don’t know what to do. I’ve read my contract and they said they have the right to withhold pay for certain reasons, but I’m sure I’ve fulfilled them. I don’t have any money. We got married last week on the bank of my parents so it’s not as though I can go to them and ask for anything either. I just want the money I’m owed! Has anyone had a similar experience? People keep saying to do to CAB but the one in our town is closed. I hope this made sense to someone!

Hi
I’ll preface this by saying I genuinely don’t know if anyone can help but I’m completely desperate.
I’ve worked for a company since November last year and they’ve paid me once. Around June they emailed to say I hadn’t returned some paperwork which is why I hadn’t been paid, so I returned all of that ASAP. In October they claimed they never got it. It is in my contract that this stuff had to be submitted- I accept that. They sent me some more paperwork which I completed and returned at the end of October. It’s now the end of November and there’s no payslip in sight. We’ve used all our savings, and I just don’t know what to do. I’ve read my contract and they said they have the right to withhold pay for certain reasons, but I’m sure I’ve fulfilled them. I don’t have any money. We got married last week on the bank of my parents so it’s not as though I can go to them and ask for anything either. I just want the money I’m owed! Has anyone had a similar experience? People keep saying to do to CAB but the one in our town is closed. I hope this made sense to someone!
You need to contact someone about this ASAP. Is there not an HR or payroll department you can call? Citizens Advice do online appointments as well as face to face, so you shouldn't need to leave home to connect with them. Good luck!

Reactions: 1
You need to contact someone about this ASAP. Is there not an HR or payroll department you can call? Citizens Advice do online appointments as well as face to face, so you shouldn't need to leave home to connect with them. Good luck!
I’ve been emailing HR consistently. I feel really upset that they just don’t seem bothered

Do you have all the proof that the work has been completed an sent? Like emails or something, if so then get it all printed an see about taking legal action

I feel like there’s info missing here because this situation is completely and utterly bizarre and I have so many questions. Firstly is this company legit? Secondly how have you gone for a year only being paid once and not made more of a fuss? Most people would be rioting after say one missed payday? Thirdly, most places hassle you to return the payroll forms as part of your onboarding - did they let you start your role with all of this missing?

I would honestly be sending the paperwork back by email and copying it to the Head of/Director of HR and asking for a CHAPS payment to be made for all the monies you’re owned otherwise they’ll be hearing from your solicitor with a letter before action.

Reactions: 13
Time to up your game. Is this an online/remote job by any chance?
Remote - they hired me during COVID online, they didn’t meet me in person and they have a number of campuses
Do you have all the proof that the work has been completed an sent? Like emails or something, if so then get it all printed an see about taking legal action
Yes I’ve kept a paper trail the whole time, I’m composing an email to ACAS

I feel like there’s info missing here because this situation is completely and utterly bizarre and I have so many questions. Firstly is this company legit? Secondly how have you gone for a year only being paid once and not made more of a fuss? Most people would be rioting after say one missed payday? Thirdly, most places hassle you to return the payroll forms as part of your onboarding - did they let you start your role with all of this missing?

I would honestly be sending the paperwork back by email and copying it to the Head of/Director of HR and asking for a CHAPS payment to be made for all the monies you’re owned otherwise they’ll be hearing from your solicitor with a letter before action.
Thank you. I think what I probably missed is that this is a secondary source of income. It’s based in education so I was told I’d only be paid once a term, and I was fine with that until no payments came. I’ve emailed the head of
HR today and the head of the department I’ve been working for.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I'm not sure what the UK equivalent is but can you go to your social welfare office and apply for some sort of emergency payment? In Ireland it's called Supplementary Welfare Allowance. Over here the office can grant you the payment while you're waiting to be paid. Maybe they have something like that in the UK?

@CoffeeMamma ok that makes more sense if it’s a uni. When I was an academic and did some ad hoc teaching it used to take years to get paid sometimes. Keep on at the HR department and also make sure whoever ‘line manages’ your work is aware, I would tell them you can’t keep working for free so if they aren’t going to pay you you won’t be able to continue, if they’re relying on you for numbers (seminars/tutorials etc) that will usually get them to buck their ideas up. Good luck

Hi
They categorically cannot withold pay even if it states that in their “contract” completely illegal.
You need to demand payment and make them aware that you will have to involve the regulator bodies for universities in the UK

Also make them aware that you will contact ACAS and/or CAB.

Btw I would phone their payroll deparment to find out why you are not being paid or even the person who you are working for directly

Reactions: 2
Thank you everyone. I was in a very dark place yesterday so contacted CAB and then sent an email to ACAS, who have asked for some extra information ☺ As soon as I told HR they’ve massively changed their tune, and said they’re going to “see what they can do”

• Heart
Reactions: 4