Christmas in this climate..

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
So sorry to spring the C bomb on you all in August but given the absolute dire situation we are all finding ourselves in with the cost of living crisis I thought we could maybe discuss ideas on how to crunch the cost down to still have a Christmas within all of our means.

I am not usually very frivolous in prior years, I spend £150-£200max on my 2 children. I spend roughly £25 on each of my nieces and nephews, my other family I generally budget £20ish each or as a couple, wider folk such as Colleagues and teachers usually get chocolates or biscuits. There is no way I will be able to afford this year, I also want to compose a nice message to my family and friends to not bother if it’s a stress on their finances, but in a nice and not ungrateful witch way 🤣.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I cut right back on Christmas a few years ago, I now only buy for 6 people, but I spend £500 between them. I have thankfully got the money saved, but will be cutting back on the amount of good and drinks etc that I buy.

I’ve been collecting Asda points every week so I’ll use that for Christmas already got a fiver in there just from doing my weekly shops so by Christmas should have a fair bit.
As for presents everyone is getting 1 thing and a card(no kids)

Reactions: 1
I’ve started a secret Santa in my family, everyone buys one larger present instead of smaller gifts for lots of people. Should cut down on costs and also the stress of buying for lots of people!

ETA we are all adults with no children my side of the family! I’ve still got my partner and his family to buy for.

I think one of the best solutions would be to get all adults on board and agree not to buy for each other (or to set a very low budget). I’d personally rather not get presents off random adult family members, I feel that Christmas is a holiday mostly for kids and I’d be more than happy with a few presents from my partner, all the food and time spent with the family!
Another alternative for adults would be to do a secret Santa - so then you only buy for 1 other adult in the wider family but are more likely to be able to spend a little more and then get better gifts.

We will be doing what we can to keep Christmas exactly the same, the only thing I’ll do is start shopping earlier.

I’m not having the cost of living crisis spoil anything for my daughter.

• Heart
We do a secret Santa for the adults in the family. That means instead of buying 7 small gifts, I only have to buy one nice thing for my santee. Or you could agree no presents. Send out a message along the lines of - instead of buying gifts why don’t we spend the money on nice food and drink?

Sounds like the big expense is the kids gifts. Any way you can cut back on them? I have actually bought second hand things for Xmas for the kids when we’ve been broke. For example, bikes, toys, and a tablet. Lots of people sell stuff in almost new condition and it’s much cheaper. Sites like Bargain Max are good for toys for younger kids.

I think one of the best solutions would be to get all adults on board and agree not to buy for each other (or to set a very low budget). I’d personally rather not get presents off random adult family members, I feel that Christmas is a holiday mostly for kids and I’d be more than happy with a few presents from my partner, all the food and time spent with the family!
Another alternative for adults would be to do a secret Santa - so then you only buy for 1 other adult in the wider family but are more likely to be able to spend a little more and then get better gifts.
My family have done this for a good few years now. We all made an agreement not to buy each other presents. You only end up with a load of rubbish you don’t really want and it gets so expensive and stressful. Christmas is for kids really.

I do usually buy my parents gifts because they help me massively with my son and they buy for me too. However, I’ve already mentioned to my Mum that we should give that a miss this year due to the current climate and she was absolutely fine with that.

I would recommend being honest with people about not doing it. I bet most of them would be relieved as they are probably worrying about it too.

My family have done this for a good few years now. We all made an agreement not to buy each other presents. You only end up with a load of rubbish you don’t really want and it gets so expensive and stressful. Christmas is for kids really.

I do usually buy my parents gifts because they help me massively with my son and they buy for me too. However, I’ve already mentioned to my Mum that we should give that a miss this year due to the current climate and she was absolutely fine with that.

I would recommend being honest with people about not doing it. I bet most of them would be relieved as they are probably worrying about it too.
I think that concentrating your budget on the few people who you really want to buy for is exactly the way it should be done to minimise stress. For me that’s also my Mum this year as she has a big birthday close to Xmas so I’ll likely combine the budget for two. It’s all the random other adult family members that I don’t want anything from. I come from a separated family so I have step siblings as well as in laws and it’s those added extras that I dont want to buy for nor do I want anything from them!

Iceland have launched their saving scheme early this year. You can get an extra £15 if you top up the card by £100. It doesn't have to be in one go and it works with their usual bonus so you can get £20 in total for a £100 top up.

---

I have been into minimalism for the past 4/5 years now. I initially stopped buying for my brother and my parents a while ago but continued for my younger sisters. I would always just give food items. For a family friend it was a tin of M&S's shortbread biscuits. For my sister's a box of their favourite chocolate each like Ferrero rocher + a £20 gift card for Starbucks.

Last year my cousins organized a party. We gave the cousins each pop vinyls and manga books we already had. They like the same anime like Attack on Titan. They were unopened and the books looked brand new so we got away with that.

I did feel like we had to buy for our aunt. We got her bought practical things she would need. Sounds naff but it was things like socks, deodorant, a money box, her fav cereal brand.

It might sound stingy but I honestly I won't be buying anything this year including for my sisters or cousins.

Everyone has everything they already need including me. I don't expect gifts.

Reactions: 4
I used to love present shopping but I found it really tedious last year trying to find something different I haven't bought before! And to be honest, I'm not that fussed on receiving them anymore, I usually get smellies, clothes and nick nacks that I don't particularly need or want and I think most people are in the same boat. I definitely think Christmas should be more about spending time with family and friends without the pressure of getting them something, it doesn't really matter about the gifts and food when you're an adult. I'd much rather people saved their money and spent it on kids as they really love to get new toys at Christmas, if you don't know any kids spend it on a toy donation for charity 😘

Last edited:
  • Heart
This year is an ideal year to suggest reducing the madness of gifting. I know people who are buying 20+ gifts for family, friends. For what purpose, it's insane.
I only buy for;
5 of my nephews and nieces (the others are over 18 so it stops), a friend who lives away, my in laws, and a work secret santa-type scheme.

I don't buy my parents anything, I take them out for a meal usually after Christmas.

My husband and I sometimes get gifts for each other, but most of the time we just put the money towards something we need/want for the house. I don't buy for the sake of wrapping something up cos it's pointless and more often than not a bit of a waste.

(I sound like a Scrooge, I'm really not. I Iove Christmas, but I hate that it seems to have become an insta-brag affair.)

I save all my Asda and Tesco vouchers/boots points for Christmas shopping

i save £30 a month into a sinking fund so by the time November rolls around I have about £300 to spend on presents

I try to limit the people I buy for and ask for Christmas lists off people so im only buying them things they want/need to cut down waste

buy brown paper and ribbon to wrap gifts in to cut down on plasticky and unrecyclable wrapping paper

I'm really lucky that I'm in a good financial position that I can afford to do Christmas as normal but I'm VERY aware that my wider family aren't so I brought up the Christmas budget subject as I didn't want them feeling they had to splash the cash. We have set a strict budget (half of what we all normally spend) and doing stockings rather than big gifts.

I don't need a load of stuff as I'm actively trying to gut my house and this means I can help out a bit too.

Im going to be following the formula of sweet treats / a book / something silly (I've got my mum a mini jigsaw of Pringles that was £2 in The Entertainer as she is a total crisp fiend!) / A nice Christmas decoration. It's got a load of thought into things without breaking the bank.

Christmas has always been a big thing in my family so I save £50 a month for any gifts (birthday, Christmas, weddings etc) and buy from September onward to spread costs which helps a lot and eases stress nearer the time.