Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Skyeball

Chatty Member
I cook it for whoever wants to come, we're low on numbers this year, there's only 5 of us. One epic year there were 10 and I had an overflow kids table. It was mad, so loud we didn't hear the crackers popping. 😄
My mum is doing the wider family get together on NYE.
I don't charge and neither does she, we want people to come free of charge because we invited them in the first place.

• Heart
Reactions: 2

nyMreb-5fattu-hedgob

I’ve not heard of that before but it’s actually a good idea, especially if you have a large group coming. I always take dessert or wines if someone is making Xmas dinner, but I don’t think I’d be offended at being asked to split the bill.

Reactions: 2

Booington

We only ever stay at home (preferred) or go,to the in laws for Christmas dinner, I wouldn't charge anyone but I would expect them to bring booze or dessert. I think it’s ok to split the cost if it’s agreed by all in a family situation, but it needs to be decided like that beforehand!

Reactions: 1

nbt

VIP Member
We do a family thing every year for Boxing Day and each family contributes a dish, so we have a selection of food. Then we tend to bring whatever we fancy drinking but all share.

There are normally about 15 of us from 4/5 households and whoever is hosting still tends to provide the most.

PinkMariner

Chatty Member
Read an article this week about a woman who is fuming because her mother in law has charged her for Christmas Dinner.

It made me smile, because we do the same - in a round about way. Whoever is hosting does the food shop, tells the rest of us how much it was and we split it between us. No profit made, no drama - just splitting the bill.

Anyone else do the same or would you be outraged at being asked to pay as a guest?

laughing

VIP Member
We would always bring food and drink to contribute to the event, so same thing I imagine.

If we are hosting, we never expect but always great to receive.

Podcat

Never been asked to pay, though I often provide dessert or starter. I wouldn't mind if a host asked for money, especially if I knew they didn't have much.

tortfeasor

And another one from 2017 - https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/would-you-charge-your-family-15465624

This whole business of the person cooking the Christmas dinner for all of the relatives and deciding to charge them, cue loads of whinging is becoming an old chestnut - excuse the pun!

I‘d say to the whingers to cook your own Christmas dinner, you lazy oiks, or go and spend money at a restaurant that’s taking Christmas Day bookings instead.

keepyourpeace

VIP Member
Never been asked to pay for a family meal! Contribute by bringing dessert or bottles but not financially. I wouldn't expect anyone to pay!

Caffeine Fiend

VIP Member
I always cook and would never dream of asking for any contribution. I wouldnt offer to host if I couldnt afford to.

I provide wine/soft drinks but anything else would need to be provided by the guests. I have a healthy spirit cabinet also if preferred

Kim Mild

VIP Member
No , I wouldn't charge or pay.

But , I can imagine it might be an idea to have a Christmas dinner kitty that everyone puts into well in advance of the food being bought so everyone knew upfront .That seems a bit more acceptable than presenting guests with a bill.

Warpaint

VIP Member
Nope never been asked to pay. I was invited for a boxing day meal at my cousins once and I think they got a bit offended when I brought something to contribute.

So now I just get stuck in

Happy35

I usually host and pay for the Christmas meal, but this year I have been told that our guests are giving a joint of beef to go with the Turkey which is a nice contribution

Very traditional

VIP Member
I live by myself and always host christmas, my brother and his girlfriend being the wine and my parents buy the Turkey, my aunt and uncle provide dessert, i cook and provide everything else. It is really expensive hosting Christmas even with everyone chipping in a bit, I don't think it's bad at all to be asked to contribute, as the host you're doing ALL the work plus paying for the majorly (or all) of the meal, often with very little thanks. The way we do it works great but I guess all families are different 🤷‍♀️