Christmas Dinner - Do you pay?!?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Read an article this week about a woman who is fuming because her mother in law has charged her for Christmas Dinner.

It made me smile, because we do the same - in a round about way. Whoever is hosting does the food shop, tells the rest of us how much it was and we split it between us. No profit made, no drama - just splitting the bill.

Anyone else do the same or would you be outraged at being asked to pay as a guest?

Reactions: 1
I’ve not heard of that before but it’s actually a good idea, especially if you have a large group coming. I always take dessert or wines if someone is making Xmas dinner, but I don’t think I’d be offended at being asked to split the bill.

Reactions: 2
No I would never ask anyone to pay if I invited them to my home, if they want to bring alcohol or any food then that is up to them but it’s not something I would expect them to do.
If we had arranged to go out for Christmas dinner to a restaurant/hotel then that would be different, I would assume each person was paying for their meal.

Reactions: 11
If I was being charged as a guest, I wouldn't go and I'd never dream of charging others. I've been invited to someone's home, not a restaurant. My aunt likes to host Christmas and she'd take great offence at anyone suggesting they contribute towards it.

Reactions: 12
I’d never pay, and i’d never charge. It’s family ffs not a Michelin star restaurant. I’d contribute towards it e.g. bring a drink or food or whatever but never outright pay

Reactions: 15
We would always bring food and drink to contribute to the event, so same thing I imagine.

If we are hosting, we never expect but always great to receive.

And another one from 2017 - https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/would-you-charge-your-family-15465624

This whole business of the person cooking the Christmas dinner for all of the relatives and deciding to charge them, cue loads of whinging is becoming an old chestnut - excuse the pun!

I‘d say to the whingers to cook your own Christmas dinner, you lazy oiks, or go and spend money at a restaurant that’s taking Christmas Day bookings instead.

We’ve got my in laws and husbands grandad coming for Christmas. I would never charge them but they insisted they help with costs so I wrote the shopping list and asked them to let me know what they’re bringing. We’re definitely still spending the most by the looks of it but I think it’s to be expected when you host so I’m not complaining. Plus we’ve been to them for Christmas a good few times and never paid a penny so it goes both ways.

I'd be happy to bring a bottle of wine or dessert or something, but if someone (especially family) tried to charge me I'd tell them where to stick the Christmas dinner.

Reactions: 4
No. I'd never pay to go to someone else's for dinner and I wouldn't expect anyone to pay me if I was the one hosting either. Why would you invite someone to dinner and then expect them to pay for it?
I'd bring wine/chocolates/flowers etc, but not cash.

Reactions: 8
My grandparents always hosted the big Christmas lunch when I was growing up and they would have been aghast at the thought of people charging their relatives cash to attend. They were not rich either, just average working class.

I think asking people to bring something to the table is absolutely fine and totally different, but this rising trend of people demanding cold hard cast and a set amount too is horrifying to me.

Reactions: 7
I am really surprised at the replies here! I genuinely thought what our family does is normal! lol.

We always offer to contribute to the meal either with money or by taking a dish with us. On the other hand if we're hosting, we would never expect anyone to pay us. We do ask my mum to make the dauphinoise because she makes it 1000x nicer than I ever could. We'll happily pay for and drop off the ingredients at her house beforehand though.

Never been asked to pay for a family meal! Contribute by bringing dessert or bottles but not financially. I wouldn't expect anyone to pay!

I always cook and would never dream of asking for any contribution. I wouldnt offer to host if I couldnt afford to.

I provide wine/soft drinks but anything else would need to be provided by the guests. I have a healthy spirit cabinet also if preferred

No , I wouldn't charge or pay.

But , I can imagine it might be an idea to have a Christmas dinner kitty that everyone puts into well in advance of the food being bought so everyone knew upfront .That seems a bit more acceptable than presenting guests with a bill.

When I was a uni student and did xmas dinners we each put in money to buy the food. Now though whenever I have been to big xmas dinners with lots of people we oragnise between us the menu, so someone brings the sides/someone else the turkey etc. but it has always been more about convenience rather than money.
I think if you invite someone over you have kind of offered to pay imo, that said I would never turn up at anyone's house for any kind of dinner without anything regardless of the occasion