Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Zanzi202

Does anyone else have friends who are forever trying to self diagnose their kids? Honestly it boils my p*ss. Its all 'oh they had a meltdown over x,y,z'....no they had a tantrum because they didnt get their own way. Or 'they are obsessed with wearing this outfit' yes most kids go through a phase like that. I find it offensive when they try and compare their kids and 'diagnose' them. Theres so much more to autism than the stereotypical traits. I cant even discuss it with my cousin as she then repeats what I've said about my child but says her child is doing it 🤔🤔
Maybe she is doing that to try and make you feel less isolated and alone with having a child with additional needs? I understand why it frustrates you though, but it may be coming from a good place.

Sayitso

VIP Member
How did you get a diagnosis for hyper mobility? I only ask as our paediatrician mentioned it during his assessment but that's the last it was mentioned. Also, anyone whose child have dyslexia - any pointers? I dont want to sound like I'm trying to label my child with any old thing but his writing/spelling etc is poor
We were referred to OT and sensory OT for hypermobility

Sayitso

VIP Member
Agh what a stress! The need for tech and video calling would make me anxious too.
The council are so slow at the best of times but things must be even more behind now.

I'm sure you'll still smash it though. Your vision of glory can still be realised!

We've got the hypermobility too! The link between hypermobility and autism really interests me. I keep meaning to do more reading about it. Nearly every single person I know with autistic children, their children also have hypermobility to varying degrees.
For my youngest I went to the gp about sensory processing, I wasn’t even thinking of asd ( I have aspergers but hand to thought she maybe was) I knew her hands were extra bendy but again didn’t think anything. My biggest shock and I know nothing about it is the dyspraxia

JellyWobbles

VIP Member
Hello hope I can join.
Daughter is 10, PMLD. Non verbal, wheelchair user full time, doesn’t sign, needs 1:1 with everything. She has an incredibly rare genetic condition. She attends special school.

Her challenging behaviour has become more prevalent and we are now in the process of getting an autism and adhd assesment, it’s a bit trickier given the severity of her complex needs but we have a CAMHS appointment at the end of the month - what did it entail for you that have been through it? We already have an EHCP, tbh this is more just to get recognition and support, she’s always been autistic and adhd off paper, this is just getting the formal diagnosis.
Finally, she barely sleeps. A typical night will be 12.30-3.30/4am. We have tried everything non medical, other than melatonin and antihistamine, paediatrician and neurologist have a conflict of interest in prescribing her chloral hydrate, so therefore her paed is outright refusing to go that route (that’s okay for her - after 10 years no sleep were all at breaking point!) xxx