Children with allergies / gastro problems / asthma

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
A happy update.
After being totally defeated and lots of tears from all of us, we've had a break through that has been going on over a week now.
The softening from the (8!) Movicol plus the Senna making it come and it's just seemed to click that it doesn't hurt, or if it does hurt, its better to hurt for a moment than hurt constantly. They just woke up one day with the tummy ache and I said 'you know what will make it better' and they said 'ok' and went. They've gone since. At Nanny's house, at playgroup, at Mummy's work - miraculous! They said after a few days, 'Thank you for teaching me how to Poo Mummy' 💔
They are trying to go every time they wee which actually may be a little too much but I'll not complain because it often comes. Next step is to figure out the maintenance Movicol dose, we're currently on 2 child sachets which seems to keep it pain free and will continue this until it just becomes second nature but I think we can drop to one. It's still quite a novelty that warrants everyone having to have a look, big cuddles and praise, even phoning Nanny or Auntie's and Uncles to tell them, I'm hoping it just gradually becomes part of life but as long as they're going, I don't care.
I feel like I've got my happy child back and realising only more how miserable and lethargic they'd been.

I hope everyone else is moving toward a solution x

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Finally got an appointment with the health play therapy team for Monday! Not really sure what to expect, but apparently they can help find ways to get medication in children and improve their relationship with toileting/witholding etc so we shall see 😬

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Finally got an appointment with the health play therapy team for Monday! Not really sure what to expect, but apparently they can help find ways to get medication in children and improve their relationship with toileting/witholding etc so we shall see 😬
Thank goodness!

Play Therapists are amazing. Hope it goes well ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Has anyone’s child ever been on a medication in tablet form and managed to get them to take it successfully? (4 in July)

Has anyone’s child ever been on a medication in tablet form and managed to get them to take it successfully? (4 in July)
Thankfully haven’t had to try, but a suggestion I’ve seen is to use tic tacs to practice with.

Is there no other option, or is it that the GP doesn’t want to prescribe and/or pharmacist doesn’t want to provide possibly due to cost?

Thankfully haven’t had to try, but a suggestion I’ve seen is to use tic tacs to practice with.

Is there no other option, or is it that the GP doesn’t want to prescribe and/or pharmacist doesn’t want to provide possibly due to cost?
It’s actually upon speaking to play therapy and saying how I was concerned that we cant get enough Picosulfate in them and I’m really not sure what the soloution is 😬 managing more than 2.5mls is near impossible. Movicol has been flat out refused for a long time and any sort of liquid medicine is a huge huge battle.

I said I’d be willing to try anything really and they suggested Bisacodyl (I’ve seen the tablet and it’s actually probably half the size of a tic tac!) so we’ve been given a leaflet with info on how to practice taking tablets and work up to the right size but I’m really not sure how easy it’s going to be with such a young child!

• Heart
Reactions: 1
It’s actually upon speaking to play therapy and saying how I was concerned that we cant get enough Picosulfate in them and I’m really not sure what the soloution is 😬 managing more than 2.5mls is near impossible. Movicol has been flat out refused for a long time and any sort of liquid medicine is a huge huge battle.

I said I’d be willing to try anything really and they suggested Bisacodyl (I’ve seen the tablet and it’s actually probably half the size of a tic tac!) so we’ve been given a leaflet with info on how to practice taking tablets and work up to the right size but I’m really not sure how easy it’s going to be with such a young child!
In situations like this, I am not above bribery.

To get used to an inhaler here I bribed with Haribo which I never ever allow so it was a massive treat (5 year old). Other things I have bribed with a comic and we know how desperate I must have been as they are £££ now 😂

I think it’s worth a try, and it’s just about finding what makes it seem worthwhile to them to try.

With tic tacs you could make it a game. Look mummy will go first, bet you can’t do it too! Oh you can? WOW! That’s amazing, better than mummy!

Also to swallow it with could you offer a ‘special’ drink like smoothie or v weak squash? Chocolate milk? Something exciting.

Also, sometimes we just have to do it. But I know in this situation there’s a need to avoid any trauma or negative associations, or you lose your only real option. It’s so hard. I would trust play therapists info to guide you ❤
---
Also, if possible, pick a strategy and stick to it as eventually it will be okay, with consistency and expected boundaries.

I’ve made the mistake before of trying one way, then a few days in getting so stressed that I’ve tried something else and it caused more problems.

We had Senna in tablet form. I had some luck crushing it in chocolate pudding (Cadbury pots of joy) and porridge but it dissolved so quickly it was a sprinkle in and get it down in one go otherwise it went into a rank paste. In the end I just dissolved in hot water and syringed it (it was disgusting) but appreciate that’s probably not an option for you.

Reactions: 1