Change of career in 30s

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Nope. I went back to uni aged 33 to do midwifery. Qualified at 36

In my cohort the eldest was in her 50s
I would love to do this. I am 32. Can I ask what the training and studying was like, was it full time? Did you have to fund it?

I say follow your dreams OP. I like my job, but I don't love it. I often think what it would be like to love a job!

I would love to do this. I am 32. Can I ask what the training and studying was like, was it full time? Did you have to fund it?

I say follow your dreams OP. I like my job, but I don't love it. I often think what it would be like to love a job!
Im not going to lie, if was hard work. I have done degrees before but I had to complete a degree and placement which was 36 hours a week. So I'd usually do 3x12 hour shifts, uni work and family stuff. Placements would be both days and nights. I could only take holiday at certain times of the year which rarely coincided with school holidays and any time I had off had to be made up. I was lucky to train when we had bursaries even though they weren't much at all (£120 a month towards full time childcare) but I had student loans which I'm repaying back.

It's quite a challenging career. People think all I do is catch babies but I'm responsible for two lives, things changing quickly, dealing with emergencies and not everyone gets a happy ending. But I get shifts where I absolutely love my job and can't think of any other job like it on earth.

Reactions: 3
Definitely not too old! I only realised what I actually wanted to do for a career when I was 32, and managed to make it happen a couple of years later. I'm 36 now and im so happy I'm now in a job I love and has some excellent prospects to move up. I have industry recognised qualifications now too

Nope. I went back to uni aged 33 to do midwifery. Qualified at 36

In my cohort the eldest was in her 50s
Im thinking to do nursing but I actually hate blood (I know lol 🙄) is it possible to overcome my phobia of blood? Did you meet anyone like that on your course who overcame their fear of blood? Sorry if it’s a stupid question x

Im thinking to do nursing but I actually hate blood (I know lol 🙄) is it possible to overcome my phobia of blood? Did you meet anyone like that on your course who overcame their fear of blood? Sorry if it’s a stupid question x
Im pretty squeamish. I can look at a torn perineum but if my husband shows me he's cut his finger I feel faint. I think it's because I view the perineum through my work eyes, so assessing grade and how I'm going to repair as opposed to looking at it as an injury if that makes sense. Same with blood, I see it as a task to do and I'm thinking about whether that's a good vein, will I need a butterfly etc as to actually thinking that I'm getting blood.

Reactions: 1
Just here to reignite this thread if possible?

I am feeling similar at the moment like I’m just not doing “enough” with my life and like I could do so much more. I have no idea where to start with changing my career. I want to be on a decent salary and have progressed before I have children later in life.

If anyone has any insight in to these careers it would be helpful?
- Accounting
- Personnel/HR
- Project management
- Banking
- Anything interiors related (what sort of jobs are there in this field??? I absolutely LOVE it)
- Car sales
- Hairdressing/Beauty (self employed)

Fully aware this is the most random list of careers. Any others anyone can think of would be greatly welcome!!

Just here to reignite this thread if possible?

I am feeling similar at the moment like I’m just not doing “enough” with my life and like I could do so much more. I have no idea where to start with changing my career. I want to be on a decent salary and have progressed before I have children later in life.

If anyone has any insight in to these careers it would be helpful?
- Accounting
- Personnel/HR
- Project management
- Banking
- Anything interiors related (what sort of jobs are there in this field??? I absolutely LOVE it)
- Car sales
- Hairdressing/Beauty (self employed)

Fully aware this is the most random list of careers. Any others anyone can think of would be greatly welcome!!
I'm a Project Manager if you want to pick my brains

I'm a Project Manager if you want to pick my brains
Oooo yes please!!!

I guess just how is the best way to get into it? Is it interesting? Fast paced? I love that sort of environment & I’m super organised (would love to be a PA but just don’t think it would pay enough)

Oooo yes please!!!

I guess just how is the best way to get into it? Is it interesting? Fast paced? I love that sort of environment & I’m super organised (would love to be a PA but just don’t think it would pay enough)
Just jumping in on this I am friends with a lot of PAs and their salaries are ranging between £40-£55k!x

Oooo yes please!!!

I dont seem to be able to dm you, but i got into it through the Project Support route and got experience that way. It has peaks and troughs of work, so some days will be quiet and others will be manic.
The main industry recognised qualification is Prince2, and there are a few others too, such as Agile.
Being a PM is more hands off than people think. You don't really do the work, you just make sure other people do it!

I dont seem to be able to dm you, but i got into it through the Project Support route and got experience that way. It has peaks and troughs of work, so some days will be quiet and others will be manic.
The main industry recognised qualification is Prince2, and there are a few others too, such as Agile.
Being a PM is more hands off than people think. You don't really do the work, you just make sure other people do it!
What industry are you in, if you don't mind me asking? Could you transfer to a different industry if you wanted to - is project management just project management, whether it's in IT or engineering or whatever?

What are the most challenging things about your job? What's the most important quality to have?

Sorry to steam in, it's something I've been looking at for a while. I have project support experience but nothing formal. Have been looking at Prince2 online foundation. Would really appreciate any input!

What industry are you in, if you don't mind me asking? Could you transfer to a different industry if you wanted to - is project management just project management, whether it's in IT or engineering or whatever?

What are the most challenging things about your job? What's the most important quality to have?

Sorry to steam in, it's something I've been looking at for a while. I have project support experience but nothing formal. Have been looking at Prince2 online foundation. Would really appreciate any input!
I'd rather not say which industry, but in general project management is project management. The basic principles are the same. IT projects tend to be more Agile based projects, which deliver incrementally in sprints, so a knowledge of Agile would be beneficial.
There will be some areas, such as Estates and Property which may need more relevant qualifications.
Essential skills I would say, would be a knowledge of Microsoft Project and Excel, strong organisational skills and experience in risk management.
Its an extremely rewarding career though, i wouldn't change!

• Heart
Just jumping in on this I am friends with a lot of PAs and their salaries are ranging between £40-£55k!x
Oooo, is this based in London? I am south west so have quite high salaries in our area anyway but always thought you had to “get lucky” to earn that sort of money being a PA!

Ah that’s so interesting thank you for replying! I’m an office manager to a small team at the moment and quite enjoy the coordination part and making sure they are working to deadlines and getting the right people on the right jobs when needed so I guess it’s a transferable skill that I sort of already have (although I imagine not on the same level as you!!). I have seen jobs for project administrator or junior roles so I guess with that and a qualification I would be in a really good place.

I’m 35 & I started my first full time job in March. I’ve been a stay at home mum since I was 18.
i love my job & I hope to make a career out of it.
it’s never to late!! X

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Not at all! I was in the military from the age of 18 to 30. Was all I had ever known, was on very good money but I had just outgrown the lifestyle and didn’t enjoy the job role anymore so I left and joined the emergency services. Was the oldest one on my course by a good few years but I absolutely love the job, been able to progress into the job I really wanted far more quickly than I would have in the military. The big pay cut stung a bit but I’m far happier now than I was 2 years ago. I have a little fridge magnet that says ‘ take the risk or lose the chance’ and I’m a big believer in that. Good Luck!!

I’ve just joined. And immediately saw this thread 😆 I want to become a software tester at age 35!

I have an IT degree but have never used it - only ever done marketing & digital marketing.
If there are any software developers around please let me know! (I definitely want to do testing or QA and not actual coding)

good luck to anyone starting college / university or new careers this September.

I would love to do teaching too but I just don’t know how I could afford to run a house and look after two kids. I can’t continue to do what I’m doing I’m miserable in my current job.