Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Platypusfattypus

VIP Member
Nope. I went back to uni aged 33 to do midwifery. Qualified at 36

In my cohort the eldest was in her 50s

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 29

Curlywurly85

Do you feel like 30 is too late to start or change career? I’ve never really known what I’ve wanted to do, and worked in retail/admin roles mostly but I recently started a new job in a hospital and I can really see myself moving up in this role, and there is training opportunities which might be available to me in a couple of years time. Is it too late to be starting a career do you think? I know I have 35+ years of employment left so want to do something I enjoy! Has anyone else changed careers in their 30s/40s and how did you find it? For reference I have no kids so that might make it slightly different for me.
It’s never to late! Life is short, go for it. Having no children yet also goes in your favour. So happy for you that you’ve found your calling x

Reactions: 15

TheMotherHen-Kathryn

Aww amazing!! It’s never too late! I’ve been at home raising my boys now for 5 years. The youngest two are not starting school. I’m taking this as my opportunity to make a career for myself.

I have very little academic qualifications do I’m literally starting from scratch. Before my youngest two boys I worked in childcare. It’s a little daunting the thought Of starting from scratch at 31 but I’m excited.
Seen this and thought I’d share

Attachments

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Do you feel like 30 is too late to start or change career? I’ve never really known what I’ve wanted to do, and worked in retail/admin roles mostly but I recently started a new job in a hospital and I can really see myself moving up in this role, and there is training opportunities which might be available to me in a couple of years time. Is it too late to be starting a career do you think? I know I have 35+ years of employment left so want to do something I enjoy! Has anyone else changed careers in their 30s/40s and how did you find it? For reference I have no kids so that might make it slightly different for me.

• Heart
Reactions: 9

JoeBloggs

VIP Member
Never to late! My dad started his own business at 45 doing something he’d never done before. He’s done really well!

Reactions: 8

cedarpeach

It sounds like you’ve already started a new career and good on you! This new job sounds full of prospects and you should absolutely go for it. The days of have a single job all your life are over, it’s definitely never too late to try something new. Good luck!

Reactions: 6

Lola UK

VIP Member
I’m hoping to go to University next September and I’ll be 31. I’ve been worried for ages about doing it, thinking I was too old, I haven’t got children yet so was worried about that etc etc but then I just thought, what if I was 34 and still in the same position I’m in now! I could be happily qualified by the time I’m 33 and then could think about children then.

Hopefully it all works out! I think you should go for it!!

slugella

VIP Member
Love all of these responses ❤

Totally agree. Life is short, and definitely not over at 30! Go for it! :) The year I graduated someone who was around 70 graduated at the same time. That's the kinda attitude to life that I hope I have.

MoT

I’m 35 & I started my first full time job in March. I’ve been a stay at home mum since I was 18.
i love my job & I hope to make a career out of it.
it’s never to late!! X

• Heart
Reactions: 5
You're still young! :) Never too late really, for me the hard part is if I'd have to take a drop in salary to accommodate the change as that affects my life more.
Can I be super nosy and ask what the career change is? I work in a hospital and have predominantly worked in admin so I'd be interested to know what opportunities may be out there 🙂
It’s pharmacy! There is opportunities to do student tech course in the future (if you pass the interview when it comes up) which would be exciting, there would be a drop in salary when training but worth it in the long run as theres lots of avenues you can take once qualified. I work in a teaching hospital so may be more training opportunities compared to other hospitals.

Reactions: 3

Kthxbye

Chatty Member
Definitely not too old! I only realised what I actually wanted to do for a career when I was 32, and managed to make it happen a couple of years later. I'm 36 now and im so happy I'm now in a job I love and has some excellent prospects to move up. I have industry recognised qualifications now too

BellaRose.X89

Chatty Member
Not at all! I was in the military from the age of 18 to 30. Was all I had ever known, was on very good money but I had just outgrown the lifestyle and didn’t enjoy the job role anymore so I left and joined the emergency services. Was the oldest one on my course by a good few years but I absolutely love the job, been able to progress into the job I really wanted far more quickly than I would have in the military. The big pay cut stung a bit but I’m far happier now than I was 2 years ago. I have a little fridge magnet that says ‘ take the risk or lose the chance’ and I’m a big believer in that. Good Luck!!

Hope77

You're still young! :) Never too late really, for me the hard part is if I'd have to take a drop in salary to accommodate the change as that affects my life more.
Can I be super nosy and ask what the career change is? I work in a hospital and have predominantly worked in admin so I'd be interested to know what opportunities may be out there 🙂

Platypusfattypus

VIP Member
I would love to do this. I am 32. Can I ask what the training and studying was like, was it full time? Did you have to fund it?

I say follow your dreams OP. I like my job, but I don't love it. I often think what it would be like to love a job!
Im not going to lie, if was hard work. I have done degrees before but I had to complete a degree and placement which was 36 hours a week. So I'd usually do 3x12 hour shifts, uni work and family stuff. Placements would be both days and nights. I could only take holiday at certain times of the year which rarely coincided with school holidays and any time I had off had to be made up. I was lucky to train when we had bursaries even though they weren't much at all (£120 a month towards full time childcare) but I had student loans which I'm repaying back.

It's quite a challenging career. People think all I do is catch babies but I'm responsible for two lives, things changing quickly, dealing with emergencies and not everyone gets a happy ending. But I get shifts where I absolutely love my job and can't think of any other job like it on earth.

mcfeez

VIP Member
30 is young! I did a postgrad degree designed for people looking to convert into a totally different career path. There were all sorts of ages, youngest being around 23 ish I'd say up to people in their 50s and 60s.

AutumnSpring

Just here to reignite this thread if possible?

I am feeling similar at the moment like I’m just not doing “enough” with my life and like I could do so much more. I have no idea where to start with changing my career. I want to be on a decent salary and have progressed before I have children later in life.

If anyone has any insight in to these careers it would be helpful?
- Accounting
- Personnel/HR
- Project management
- Banking
- Anything interiors related (what sort of jobs are there in this field??? I absolutely LOVE it)
- Car sales
- Hairdressing/Beauty (self employed)

Fully aware this is the most random list of careers. Any others anyone can think of would be greatly welcome!!

TJ90

VIP Member
Never too late. Go for it. Life if too short to be unhappy - we spend so much time at work, let it be something you love

Reactions: 2

HitchhikingGhost

VIP Member
I'm 30 and halfway through a masters in a profession I have been in since 2017. It's totally unrelated to my original degree and my pgce which I also did but then decided teaching wasn't for me. Never too late 😊

KateToTheParty

I went to uni as a single mum at 30, we won’t be retiring til 65 most likely so a change of career In Your 30s is still 30 years of your new job x

User_name_100

Not old at all!

I'm mid 30s and recently went back to uni to study engineering. I did a degree in my 20s in languages and loved it but didn't realise I wanted to really get into engineering until I hit my early 30s.

I've seen many, many people change career paths.