Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

cedarpeach

This thread is so fascinating - what a breath of fresh air! I’d always been a “face wash and nivea” girl and never suffered with skin problems. I was lucky to have good skin and people would compliment it.

A few years ago when I hit the big 3-0 and had more disposable income I started to read more from sali Hughes and Caroline Hirons. I feel hook line and sinker for CH’s skincare cheat sheets. I also remember her saying “spend the most money on your face. If you’re willing to spend big money on your handbag you should be willing to spend as much on your skin”

I didn’t spend heaps, but I did have a multi-step routine as recommended by CH. Then, I started to get terrible cystic acne. I’ve no doubt much of it has been hormone related but it’s been awful. Nothing seemed to help so at the beginning of 2020 I stripped my “routine” to cleansing (no more abrasive hot flannels either), a cerave eye cream, and Effaclar Duo to treat my spots. I use moisturiser as and when my skin needs it. My skin isn’t completely recovered but it seems to be getting there. I heartily regret falling for it all.

Skin care is a bit like diet and nutrition in that one regime doesn’t fit all. You know your skin better than anyone else.

• Heart
Reactions: 16

bottlewrapper

Chatty Member
Dear me...someone has had her buttons pushed.

Keeping clean is important, but to assert skincare is essential? Sorry love, but you can't eat skincare, nor can you use it to treat any medical condition (including acne). Right now, that makes it non-essential.

And giving out codes to buy another bloody moisturiser through Boots at a time when it takes 5+ hours to get on the site is totally irresponsible. People need incontinence supplies, sanitary supplies, baby equipment, first aid items (all things that really are essential even if not prescription) and are stuck if they can't get them because you've exhorted your followers to buy another moisturiser they don't need and have it delivered.

She can now pretend it is a public service for stressed people but it was she who was flogging her own 'kits' costing nearly £300 and telling people who voiced concerns - 'fuck off this is MY group'.
And there is no way anyone in her group doesn't have a huge stash of stuff that can be used up now.

• Heart

GossipMongoose

VIP Member
Just read the DM piece. The bit that jumped out was this,

‘I came back from doing this massive event with Clinique where people had turned up from all over; we were meant to finish at 8pm and ended up finishing at 10pm. I got home and my husband said, “I’ll put the kettle on and can you go and clean the toilet? Max has peed everywhere.” I just laughed. It was, like, “Absolutely, back to being Mum.”’

Why couldn’t her ‘oh so cool’, laid back, muso husband clean the loo himself?

• Wow
  • Sick
other people in the industry are probably waiting to see if the FTC do something. Which is probably a smarter move than jumping on insta to rant and rave and whip up a mob. Would you feel happy if all those followers go and send hate to Susan Yara because CH has emboldened them to do so, by her raging on insta? Like I said previously, people have taken their life over drag culture. I have no issue with people saying the situation is wrong and reporting it through the right channels. but why the need to go further? Customers (if they care enough) can judge the situation, the ethics and products for themselves.

I don’t get it why influencers are suddenly expected to comment on social justice and non compliance with advertising rules. Do you expect other brands to call out Susan Yara too? If so, where does it end. CH giving us a round up of reported crimes each week with her opinion on the accused? If SY has broken the law, then let the law deal with her not be subject to CH rage online.

I’m really concerned that too many people love this mob culture. You see it on twitter, people attacking others egged on by followers because it’s all good drama. Like I say. Comment or give an opinion but that can be dome calmly and respectfully. CH purposefully decided to leave a 4 hour build up to her insta rant and it was deliberate done to build up drama, and I really find that unpleasant behaviour.
THIS is what you get out of the entire situation? I'm befuddled, what that woman did was literally illegal, if Caroline hadn't said a word of this, people would still be outraged, because it's wrong. Are you really saying that Caroline somehow shouldn't voice her opinion on major misconduct committed by one of the most popular influencers in her field? I mean it's one thing to not like her, it's another to have completely unreasonable expectations of her. She's not obligated to not "drag" Susan Yara if something was seriously wrong, she's entitled to her opinion, much like you're entitled to yours in regard to Caroline. And you know what, this isn't even about Caroline, I actually find it aggravating that people in this thread keep making this a Caroline issue, it's almost as if anyone that's ever been slagged off by Caroline is automatically a victim and must be defended because y'all hate her so much... What?!

Not being part of cancel culture doesn't mean letting people get away with unethical behaviors. Plenty of companies, large or small, have committed advertisement violations in the past and were rightfully punished for it, doesn't mean their products were inferior, nor does it mean people stopped buying their products, because ethical conduct has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of products.

Last edited:
  • Sick
  • Heart

bottlewrapper

Chatty Member
I think CH, with her globally qualified knowledge of every skincare brand out there, has performed a vital scientific experiment.

By acknowledging her botox and fillers, she has shown us all that skincare doesn't work. It just doesn't do what it promises. It smells nice, it feels nice to apply. But that is all.

So the woman has performed a vital public service, and good on her for having a conscience which whispers to her in that no bullshit way: Caz, love, how can you recommend creams costing hundreds to women knowing they are wasting their money when even you have abandoned the notion that good skincare is all that's needed....

Reactions: 15

PineappleQueen19

VIP Member
Superb. Goodnight Caroline.

And it’s not an accident she’s talking about menopause. Menopause related products and haircare have been named as two big growth areas for the beauty industry going forward as general skincare and makeup slows down. You can bet your bottom dollar the influencers know this. Given her age Caroline is probably working hard to position herself as some sort of pseudo menopause expert with lived experience as her USP.

Attachments

Last edited:

PineappleQueen19

VIP Member
The “skincare activist” label she’s made for herself (that mainstream media is now picking up) is vile and ridiculous.

The only activism she does is ultimately to line her own pockets and boost her ego.

And it is an insult to activists around the world who forgo everything personal (income, security, relationships etc) to further the causes they believe in.

EmilyChambers

VIP Member
New this but not Caroline! I find her a bit. Scary. I was recommended to her by a friend who loves skincare and has clear, gorgeous skin, thanks to Caroline. My skin was awful. I have Roseacea, oily skin and dry skin patches.

I've seen a Dermatologist and they had started me on red light therapy for my face. I use this now once a week still but haven't been able to during lockdown.

My skin 5 years ago was terrible. I couldn't use flannels or cotton wool or muslin cloths on my face as it would make the skin burn and peel. I still can't use cotton wool now. I was given a list of ingredients by the dermatologist to avoid and that included salicylic acid. I still can't use it and I can't use oils on my face. Within 12 hours of using a face oil, my skin will erupt in pustules.

Anyway. I was then moved onto a high street skin care regime and I've followed this for the last 3 years and there is and continues to be an improvement on my skin.

Caroline dismissed every product I was using, gave me a recommended list of products and routine and guaranteed my skin would be flawless in a month. It them turns out she had issues with the brand I was using or something had happened. The products she recommended also had salicylic acid in! There was a cleanser, toner and moisturiser for the morning then evening pre cleanse, oil based cleanser, acid toner, eye cream, moisturiser them something else on top.

She told me spf on my face wasn't needed all year round despite my dermatologist telling me I needed to apply it daily. She then went on to tell me that my Vit D shortage is because I wear suncream so stop that suncream and stop the Vit d. She now posts she takes Vit D daily. My body doesn't produce or retain VitD and I get the sun exposure required before I apply suncream. I am under the hospital for this as I was severely ill and my bones were beginning to break while I was asleep (I slept on my arm and it was dead, went to push up on it and broke my wrist) because of how brittle and soft my bones had become. I used to work, get home at 6pm, in bed by 630 and sleep straight till 8am and used my dinner hour for a sleep too. I'm now on a high dose of Vit d thst prescribed by the hospital and it would be dangerous for me to stop taking it. I told her this and she just ignored it, same with the salicylic acid.

I'm so glad I didn't follow her advice, I dread to think what my skin would be like. But then I've had plenty of people who tell me my skincare is too expensive and I've been suckered in and that's why my skin is bad because I use too much and I find that hard to deal with too. Usually the people have nice, clear skin too!

It's the dermalogica range I use, Ultra Calming. The total of products comes to £301 but I get 12 months out each product, sometimes longer

• Wow

SqualorVictoria

VIP Member
Exactly. Kicking another woman, I.e telling her to get in the bin is thuggish and oafish. But who would expect any less from Caroline? Zero class whatsoever

• Heart

AmberSpyglass

VIP Member
I’ve just watched about 5 minutes of her Insta live regarding menopausal skin.

She stated that she was bringing in a Dr then said “...because the last time I had the audacity to talk about this I was lambasted by women my age who should know better” , just who does she think she is?

Firstly , she was on Jo Wiley’s radio show (at the time) and two of those women who challenged what she said , on Twitter , were both health professionals ,one of whom was a GP with an interest in HRT and the menopause ,iirc.

Secondly , she has the absolute gall to criticise people who disagree with her yet will happily be the most obnoxious skin ‘expert’ on social media, this beggars belief.

Without question she is hugely popular but with that she has become arrogant and massively big headed, she really thinks she is the oracle of skincare.

• Wow

MakkaPakka

VIP Member
So, her latest Instagram video. JFC that's not baby botox, that's T-Rex botox. Her face doesn't move.

• Haha

Apples87

I wish people would talk about what they’ve had done/not had done. I don’t have a clue with what “tweakments” would be best as everyone lies about what they have and haven’t had done, I’m not judging I want it too!

That said, Hirons needs a refund - how have they managed to make her look tight and saggy at the same time???? Her eyes look painful between the puffed up cheeks and tight forehead and I know she said she had her jaw done but everything below the chipmunk cheeks looks baggy in comparison. Some expert!

In all seriousness who can I follow to see how treatments actually look before and after?

• Haha

Ellabella

VIP Member
WTF would you pay for your cheeks to look like that? They are absolutely dreadful. Fine if that's what you've been born with, you put up with it. But to PAY someone to do that to your face?!

• Haha

rosemarina

VIP Member
It will be interesting to see which 'influencers' buy her new kit now that they're not going to get it sent to them....
What does this mean? Has she said she won’t be sending them out any more?

edit: I think it’s so irresponsible for her to talk of using Klarna. People who can’t afford this shouldn’t be encouraged to put it on the never-never.

Reactions: 14

bottlewrapper

Chatty Member
Her latest IG post - without the ring light, you can see just how red (aka irritated and sensitive) her skin is
Just had a look and I agree. Most amusing is her stories where she's talking about doing an insta live series in her apron and no make up because 'you'll just have to take me as I am'.

Well, yeah, but you've had an eye job, fillers, botox, lasers, brows and fake lashes love, so not exactly your natural look...

• Haha
Reactions: 14