Car insurance advice

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hi looking at car insurance for my 17 year old daughter who is having lessons at the moment and I am so confused.

If I go on comparison websites and get quotes for her as a provisional driver with her dad also insured on the policy I get one price then when I do another comparison with her as a newly qualified driver still with her dad on the policy I get a much higher price (which is exactly what I expected).

However i have found a company (Flow) and when I do the two quotes again (one with daughter as a provisional licence and one as full licence - both with dad on also) both quotes are exactly the same. Which I thought was really odd.

I emailed the company and they said this is correct the proce would not increase until renewal and they would not up the premium mid policy when she passed her test.

This is of course great news however I am doubtful I have been given correct advice, I even emailed back and asked again and they confirmed again that price would not change until renewal.

Does anybody work in insurance that can maybe offer advice on this as I am worried we will get her a car (we are viewing one tommorow) and then get a nasty surprise when she passes her test.

Any advice would be great.

On all the quotes we have done I have put her as main driver and dad on as additional as don't want to get into trouble for front loading.

I can't ring flow they don't have a contact center and is an online only company (part of LV group).

Hi looking at car insurance for my 17 year old daughter who is having lessons at the moment and I am so confused.

If I go on comparison websites and get quotes for her as a provisional driver with her dad also insured on the policy I get one price then when I do another comparison with her as a newly qualified driver still with her dad on the policy I get a much higher price (which is exactly what I expected).

However i have found a company (Flow) and when I do the two quotes again (one with daughter as a provisional licence and one as full licence - both with dad on also) both quotes are exactly the same. Which I thought was really odd.

I emailed the company and they said this is correct the proce would not increase until renewal and they would not up the premium mid policy when she passed her test.

This is of course great news however I am doubtful I have been given correct advice, I even emailed back and asked again and they confirmed again that price would not change until renewal.

Does anybody work in insurance that can maybe offer advice on this as I am worried we will get her a car (we are viewing one tommorow) and then get a nasty surprise when she passes her test.

Any advice would be great.

On all the quotes we have done I have put her as main driver and dad on as additional as don't want to get into trouble for front loading.

I can't ring flow they don't have a contact center and is an online only company (part of LV group).
It sounds to me like they're getting confused?
With them saying it won't change until renewal.

It sounds like they're thinking that you'll take a policy out with the Dad on it and her with her provisional. And then she'll pass her test mid way through policy and that'll be the only difference.
Because in that case, Dad would still be the main driver as on the original policy, as she wouldn't have a full licence.
That's the only way I can think of.
And then they're maybe thinking that when it renews you'll want her as the main driver. As I'm not sure you can change that mid policy anyway.

I don't know if that makes any sense. But that's the only way I can see that happening 🤔

It sounds to me like they're getting confused?
With them saying it won't change until renewal.

It sounds like they're thinking that you'll take a policy out with the Dad on it and her with her provisional. And then she'll pass her test mid way through policy and that'll be the only difference.
Because in that case, Dad would still be the main driver as on the original policy, as she wouldn't have a full licence.
That's the only way I can think of.
And then they're maybe thinking that when it renews you'll want her as the main driver. As I'm not sure you can change that mid policy anyway.

I don't know if that makes any sense. But that's the only way I can see that happening 🤔
That is what would be happening so maybe it's right and I am worrying over nothing.

That is what would be happening so maybe it's right and I am worrying over nothing.
I'm not 100% sure it's possible.
Don't quote me on that, but I tried to change a policy over before as I wasn't going to be driving as much. So wanted to swap the 2nd driver and myself who was the main driver over.
And was told it wouldn't be allowed and I'd either have to wait for the policy to end or cancel it and take out a new one.
Any policy changes usually cost a fee at least anyway.
Just changing my car cost me £60 admin fee and then an extra £40 for the difference.

So like you say, even if it is possible, it seems strange the price wouldn't change.

I work in car insurance.

I know every company is different but I can’t believe there wouldn’t be any cost to changing a licence from provisional to full.

The risks are completely different and much higher once you pass

Reactions: 6
I know I thought the same but twice I queried it with them by email and they confirmed the policy amount wouldn't change until renewal. And when I do two separate quotes on their website (one of her on provisional licence and one of her on full licence - both with dad on) the prices are exactly the same.

I know I thought the same but twice I queried it with them by email and they confirmed the policy amount wouldn't change until renewal. And when I do two separate quotes on their website (one of her on provisional licence and one of her on full licence - both with dad on) the prices are exactly the same.
Are they more expensive than other companies on her provisional licence?

Maybe they are making some money thete which offsets the change later down the line?

Reactions: 1
Are they more expensive than other companies on her provisional licence?

Maybe they are making some money thete which offsets the change later down the line?
Yes they are a bit more expensive (by a few hundred pounds) so maybe your right.

Reactions: 2
Slightly off topic but once she comes to renew she might struggle with using websites to purchase her insurance because she will hopefully have 1 year no claims but won't have held her full licence for more than a year. So most websites error and won't let you proceed.

I bought a car a few months before I passed so had issues with this. It normally means a phone call for quotes. This is no longer an issue for me after I hit a deer last year and had to claim 🤦🏼‍♀️

Reactions: 2
Thanks everyone for the advice, we have been to view a car today which she loves so going to go ahead with the insurance and hope that they havnt fobbed me off when we update her details to say she has passed her test!

The other issue is my hubby's no claims discount as he hasn't owned his own car now for 4 years and has a salary sacrifice car which he can build up no claims on so hoping they will acknowledge it!

Hi guys,
Just some advice, I don’t know anything about insurance but I was in a crash on the weekend completely not my fault my insurance is saying the same. However, they are pushing me to make a claim over being hurt with whiplash and having to pay a small fee on a hire car. Just wondering is this normal? I feel bad because the girl driving seem around my age if not a little bit younger and I’m feeling guilty if I get a big sum out of it. Families telling me not to be as it’ll be the insurance paying for it all 😐

Hi guys,
Just some advice, I don’t know anything about insurance but I was in a crash on the weekend completely not my fault my insurance is saying the same. However, they are pushing me to make a claim over being hurt with whiplash and having to pay a small fee on a hire car. Just wondering is this normal? I feel bad because the girl driving seem around my age if not a little bit younger and I’m feeling guilty if I get a big sum out of it. Families telling me not to be as it’ll be the insurance paying for it all 😐
Your insurance should contact her insurance and sort it all.
You shouldn't have to make a claim yourself unless you don't have her details

Hi guys,
The insurance will pay for it all and it won't be a big payout. They have really stripped back what they will pay these days because of crash for cash cases.

A friend was rear ended really badly and needed weeks of physio. They offered her about 3k and her insurer urged her to take it as otherwise they will order a full medical and if it comes out she had previous back/neck issues (which she did) they would likely take the 3k off the table.

If your car needs a repair and there is option for courtesy car definitely take it but only of you are sure the other side has accepted liability. Otherwise you will be liable for the cost.

The insurance will pay for it all and it won't be a big payout. They have really stripped back what they will pay these days because of crash for cash cases.

A friend was rear ended really badly and needed weeks of physio. They offered her about 3k and her insurer urged her to take it as otherwise they will order a full medical and if it comes out she had previous back/neck issues (which she did) they would likely take the 3k off the table.

If your car needs a repair and there is option for courtesy car definitely take it but only of you are sure the other side has accepted liability. Otherwise you will be liable for the cost.
I already took a curtesy car as mine need repair. The picture of the damage to my car looks obvious that it was the other drivers fault on the round about. Just at the scene no one took full liability and I really need a car for work. It’s not really the pay out of my injury I’m bothered about I’m more bothered over getting my car fixed to be honest and the fact I have to pay money for this hire car.
I’ve never had this happen or be involved in this before but it’s all giving me anxiety over getting it sorted.

Your insurance should contact her insurance and sort it all.
You shouldn't have to make a claim yourself unless you don't have her details
She gave me all the details my insurance is sorting it all out I just didn’t realise they would be so pushy over getting claims over me getting whiplash and that anxious at the moment over all this

Last edited:
I already took a curtesy car as mine need repair. The picture of the damage to my car looks obvious that it was the other drivers fault on the round about. Just at the scene no one took full liability and I really need a car for work. It’s not really the pay out of my injury I’m bothered about I’m more bothered over getting my car fixed to be honest and the fact I have to pay money for this hire car.
I’ve never had this happen or be involved in this before but it’s all giving me anxiety over getting it sorted.

She gave me all the details my insurance is sorting it all out I just didn’t realise they would be so pushy over getting claims over me getting whiplash and that anxious at the moment over all this
Does your insurer not include courtesy car?
I know most do but I guess there's some that don't

Does your insurer not include courtesy car?
I know most do but I guess there's some that don't
Yeah they do. They said I can have one while my car gets repaired however I had to pay £60 as part of insurance for it but they will try and give me it back through my claim as money lost due to the crash

Hi tattlers, unsure where to post this as when I’ve posted in fb groups I get accused of fraud etc 😂 I had a car crash last year, car was sorted by a family friend as the excess was too high. However i sustained a bad back and neck, the driver was found at fault but they can’t get his details from insurance, my insurance have gone down the MIB route. I don’t want a ‘big payout’ nor am i doing fraud however I have been taking regular pain as I work in a manual job and my back is still sore to this day. I just wondered what’s the likelihood of this ever being resolved as it’s been going on for nearly a year now

Hi tattlers, unsure where to post this as when I’ve posted in fb groups I get accused of fraud etc 😂 I had a car crash last year, car was sorted by a family friend as the excess was too high. However i sustained a bad back and neck, the driver was found at fault but they can’t get his details from insurance, my insurance have gone down the MIB route. I don’t want a ‘big payout’ nor am i doing fraud however I have been taking regular pain as I work in a manual job and my back is still sore to this day. I just wondered what’s the likelihood of this ever being resolved as it’s been going on for nearly a year now
If they can't get his details, does that mean he didn't have insurance?