Candice Brathwaite #3

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
All I ever seem to see is stories of Candice moaning and complaining. Has Rochelle not just been chosen as she is more famous so to the tv channel it will gain more views? Why does it always have to be about colour of skin? Same goes for any race or colour if someone is more famous they usually gain more views. Will smith for example or other stats would promote a film better than less famous stars. Is it really because she is “blacker” genuinely? I couldn’t care less the colour of either of their skin. Seems neither are qualified to talk about the subject. They’re both black so it’s more reasonable to have them presenting it. Saw Amber Gill saying she gets a lot of crap for being not fully black so isn’t allowed to fight for BLM when she was doing the protests etc 🤷‍♀️
Unfortunately colourism is a thing. Its existed in the back community since slavery (the lighter mixed race slaves were given nice jobs in the big house). Many mixed race people are stuck in a no man's land because they are not black nor white enough to fit anywhere. If Candice was genuinely outed at the last minute for Rochelle, I would say she has a point, although Rochelle is probably considered more aesthetically pleasing to the eye and still would be if she was dark skinned and CB light skinned. Rochelle also has more of a friendly countenance if we're going to go deep into it. Fact is, she was never going to present the show. It wasn't her 'idea', Black maternity activists have been talking about this issue for YEARS, way before CB popped up on IG. Anyway as I was saying, colourism DOES influence the media but not in this case. Sadly CB insinuating so has made her look silly as she had to admit that it wasn't her show. I wonder what her excuse would be if a dark skinned presenter got the role. Would she claim they've outed her for something else?

Reactions: 22
Unfortunately colourism is a thing. Its existed in the back community since slavery (the lighter mixed race slaves were given nice jobs in the big house). Many mixed race people are stuck in a no man's land because they are not black nor white enough to fit anywhere. If Candice was genuinely outed at the last minute for Rochelle, I would say she has a point, although Rochelle is probably considered more aesthetically pleasing to the eye and still would be if she was dark skinned and CB light skinned. Rochelle also has more of a friendly countenance if we're going to go deep into it. Fact is, she was never going to present the show. It wasn't her 'idea', Black maternity activists have been talking about this issue for YEARS, way before CB popped up on IG. Anyway as I was saying, colourism DOES influence the media but not in this case. Sadly CB insinuating so has made her look silly as she had to admit that it wasn't her show. I wonder what her excuse would be if a dark skinned presenter got the role. Would she claim they've outed her for something else?
Yes I wholeheartedly agree with you. Colourism is rife in our society across all nations. More needs to be done to raise awareness and change etc. However, sometimes maybe it’s just because the more famous person got the job! Like you said what would she say if someone with the same colour skin got the job. I genuinely believe Rochelle got the job because someone like herself, who is a well known presenter, would gain more views and publicity. This is a touchy subject. I’m not denying this problem exists, I’m just saying that it feels a little unfair on Rochelle also because of the colour of HER skin too. Can it not just be because she is the better presenter ? Must upset her too that it’s suggested she is not black enough.

Also, in answer to your question yes I believe whatever the circumstances she would have found a reason to complain and try and get attention as that seems to be all she ever does on a variety of subjects.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 11
I haven't checked in on Candice in ages, but I wasn't surprised to see this, it's very reminiscent of Jack Monroe and Jamie Oliver.

The problem is social media is so reactionary now that she knew what she was doing by her cryptic post, it doesn't matter if a producer told her to straighten things out, the 'damage' is done, so to speak.

Reactions: 23
I haven't checked in on Candice in ages, but I wasn't surprised to see this, it's very reminiscent of Jack Monroe and Jamie Oliver.

The problem is social media is so reactionary now that she knew what she was doing by her cryptic post, it doesn't matter if a producer told her to straighten things out, the 'damage' is done, so to speak.
what happened with jack and jamie?

Reactions: 1
The damage was done when she was filmed in the role of "Madam/Pimp" or whatever she suggested she did. TV cash is limited and the controversy she carries with her (as an unknown in TV industry) is not going to offer contracts.

Reactions: 13
Oh my. People not getting it was two different production companies and that CB had no input into the one that is fronted by RH. I think the ‘pass the mic’ comment is insulting to all the mixed race / lighter skin toned who have also struggled to be heard

Reactions: 19
The damage was done when she was filmed in the role of "Madam/Pimp" or whatever she suggested she did. TV cash is limited and the controversy she carries with her (as an unknown in TV industry) is not going to offer contracts.
She was in Jodie Marshes sex workers tv series as a real life madam! Woman’s rights don’t matter then do the Candice when you’re making money off them? Always so surprised Lorraine Kelly, Grazia etc letting her anywhere near their brands. I’m saying this from someone who has followed Candice since the beginning & observed who she really is. She’s a nasty piece of work with money her only motivation not the cause to help other people of colour.

• Heart
Reactions: 30
do you work in pr?

I really wish people would critically look at the nuances of this. What frustrates me is that black people aren't a homogenous mesh, but are being treated as such (as long as they agree with critical social justice rhetoric, but another story for another time). Candice experienced birth trauma certainly, but her being black doesn't simply give her the pass or qualifications to present a programme on UK maternal mortality.

A lot of the outrage I'm seeing feels very performative to avoid accusations of silence/complicity. Chidera/TheSlumFlower is getting cash gifts from people feeling bad/guilty for her, I wouldn't be surprised if CB finds a way to financially benefit from this in the next few days.

Reactions: 20
Yes I wholeheartedly agree with you. Colourism is rife in our society across all nations. More needs to be done to raise awareness and change etc. However, sometimes maybe it’s just because the more famous person got the job! Like you said what would she say if someone with the same colour skin got the job. I genuinely believe Rochelle got the job because someone like herself, who is a well known presenter, would gain more views and publicity. This is a touchy subject. I’m not denying this problem exists, I’m just saying that it feels a little unfair on Rochelle also because of the colour of HER skin too. Can it not just be because she is the better presenter ? Must upset her too that it’s suggested she is not black enough.

Also, in answer to your question yes I believe whatever the circumstances she would have found a reason to complain and try and get attention as that seems to be all she ever does on a variety of subjects.
Just to continue on from what I was saying also. I remember Fleur East also mentioning how frustrating is was for her as she is not seen as black enough and felt she didn’t fit into the black or white category and was criticised for fighting for the BLM ✊🏿 cause and protests. Doesn’t seem anyone can win on either side. Either way Candice seems to always find a way to make it about herself!

Reactions: 15
I read CB's first book and found this thread after googling her name - grateful I did! She comes across much better in her first book then she does on social media where she isn't edited/filtered. It's pretty clear she is very performative in her activism and all about monetising. Her 'beef' with this show seems to be her trying to have her Slumflower moment and I hope for Rochelle's sake, it dies down soon.

I also found her statement post on IG to be quite inflammatory. One poster has replied saying something like "yes these stories should be told by black women" .... completing undermining/negating Rochelle's blackness. Yes, colourism exists but you can call that out without throwing hatred at other black women/woc who are lighter. As a woc myself, I encounter these attitudes a lot and it's so unhelpful to the wider conversation. CB is doing great things to create more divisions tbh.

• Heart
Reactions: 22
I read CB's first book and found this thread after googling her name - grateful I did! She comes across much better in her first book then she does on social media where she isn't edited/filtered. It's pretty clear she is very performative in her activism and all about monetising. Her 'beef' with this show seems to be her trying to have her Slumflower moment and I hope for Rochelle's sake, it dies down soon.

I also found her statement post on IG to be quite inflammatory. One poster has replied saying something like "yes these stories should be told by black women" .... completing undermining/negating Rochelle's blackness. Yes, colourism exists but you can call that out without throwing hatred at other black women/woc who are lighter. As a woc myself, I encounter these attitudes a lot and it's so unhelpful to the wider conversation. CB is doing great things to create more divisions tbh.
It appears she has amassed a cult like collective on Instagram with people kissing her backside left right and centre, despite the fact that she's exploited women herself during her time as a sexworker/madam, and has now thrown Rochelle under a bus for doing nothing! I wish people would take the time to Google her as a lot of her new fans are only seeing her at face value. There are better ways to out yourself as a great woman without dragging another one down. My respect for her has nosed dived dramatically in recent times, I actually used to think she was alright. Her subtle humblebragging, moaning and pointing the finger at everyone else is exasperating.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
This whole drama is really detrimental to the cause Candice claims to be representing. White people dominate the media, and clearly non-white (and pretty much every other non-cis white middle class male), are largely shut out unless they fit the narrative or appeal. When you start judging people on being "black enough", discounting people for being "mixed race", it's really limiting. You're shutting out a large portion of people who could help bat for your team. A classic tactic is to divide and conquer- you set the other team up to fight amongst themselves, distract them. We see it with rich people who tell the working class that benefit fraud is rife and poor people are the problem to hide the fact that they're underpaying staff and exploiting loopholes to avoid taxes, or make profits. Candice has played into the narrative of the "angry black woman", she's shot herself in the foot here massively. People will put her in the "difficult to work with" box, and she won't get work. And other companies might avoid other BAME people for roles because they're worried the same thing will happen to them. And so, they'll continue to hire boring white people.

Clearly Candice was in talks with the production company in some way or another. She had the chance to tell her story, she could recommend other people, could have engaged the community that supports her. A production company will have sold the show to a channel with a budget, a projected audience, a strategy, and sometimes if a show has narrow appeal, they'll hire someone who'll increase that appeal. This is such an important issue, it's an incredible shame Candice couldn't look past her own importance to make sure that story got told as far and wide as possible.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
Rochelle has commented in her Instagram stories. It’s a very classy response.
was just coming along to post the same, she’s put her point across far more eloquently than CB could ever do, Even if talking politely candice always seems bolshy and firm to me, I’m sure she does have a softer side somewhere maybe she needs to show it more often

Reactions: 7
I have never had to unfollow Rochelle on Instagram because she threatened to rip out another woman’s throat through her vagina. In front of a child.
If Candice is wondering why she’s not getting the sort of gigs Rochelle is, she could start her reflection there.

• Heart
Reactions: 29
IMHO Candice is a thoughtless, hot-tempered, hot mess; The first rule of showbiz is to be NICE to people no matter how many rejections you get, and how hurt your feelings are. It's about making connections, and through those - other connections. The production companies, Rochelle, her husband, her family and friends, the agents involved, ALL of them will remember Candice's knee-jerk response, the co-ordinated pile-on that resulted and all the chaos that ensued. She'd better hope that they have short attention spans because Rochelle is well-liked and knows a lot of influential people.

Being a loudmouth rage-monster tends to lose people respect and jobs.

• Heart
Reactions: 29