Call The Midwife #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I said to my husband, he just always happens to be somewhere when there's an accident.
Yet utterly useless, too. CPR was a thing then, thought he would be all over any life saving skills. Instead he took an hour to decide to declare her dead and whip a scalpel out. šŸ«£

Reactions: 1
It doesnā€™t make sense for mature Jenny to narrate anymore as they ran out of memoirs to base the episodes on! So itā€™s not even about her life anymore anywayā€¦

• Wow
Reactions: 16
The writing is just shocking at this point. Going from the sickly sweet, bad comedy routine for the first 50 minutes to Lizzie dying in a car crash was so jarring and unnecessary. Was it just so Dr Turner could play the hero? It made absolutely no sense. Only Trixieā€™s brother, Phylis and Ms Higgins made it watchable.

Agree with others about storylines being rushed. They have zero depth and it really makes for a much poorer show.

The writing is just shocking at this point. Going from the sickly sweet, bad comedy routine for the first 50 minutes to Lizzie dying in a car crash was so jarring and unnecessary. Was it just so Dr Turner could play the hero? It made absolutely no sense. Only Trixieā€™s brother, Phylis and Ms Higgins made it watchable.

Agree with others about storylines being rushed. They have zero depth and it really makes for a much poorer show.
They feel rushed because these days thereā€™s almost too much content. Now that we have at least two more series I see no reason why storylines cannot straddle series: for instance Iā€™d like to know if the young boy diagnosed with leukaemia a couple of episodes ago survived, in the late 1960s that wasnā€™t likely but it would be interesting to see how it was treated back then.

Reactions: 14
I canā€™t get over them just standing up and shelagh saying letā€™s get changed and go the wedding after witnessing a woman die and hero turner performing a c section in the bleeping street like please

• Haha
Reactions: 18
I canā€™t believe the car crash storyline! I was looking at the time and there was only 9 minutes left and the wedding hadnā€™t even started yet.
and omg as if you would just get changed and go to the wedding after that l! Surely not!
I did like the wedding though

Reactions: 6
I canā€™t get over them just standing up and shelagh saying letā€™s get changed and go the wedding after witnessing a woman die and hero turner performing a c section in the bleeping street like please
Loved it that they had a spare set of wedding finery to hand too ..
Thereā€™s a real pile-on to the Turners on here, just to say Iā€™m quite ancient and originally from an inner London community and there were plenty Shelaghā€™s around then. And yes the street caesarean was ridiculous .. maybe next series the good doctor will physically walk across the Thames šŸ˜‰

• Haha
I canā€™t believe the car crash storyline! I was looking at the time and there was only 9 minutes left and the wedding hadnā€™t even started yet.
and omg as if you would just get changed and go to the wedding after that l! Surely not!
I did like the wedding though
It was like they just had to add a death in somewhere as it was the series final, like last year with the train crash and they killed off some tea lady just to kill someone!!!

Reactions: 8
Loved it that they had a spare set of wedding finery to hand too ..
Thereā€™s a real pile-on to the Turners on here, just to say Iā€™m quite ancient and originally from an inner London community and there were plenty Shelaghā€™s around then. And yes the street caesarean was ridiculous .. maybe next series the good doctor will physically walk across the Thames šŸ˜‰
OMG, I sped read that as physically wank across the Thames! šŸ˜®šŸ˜†

• Haha
Reactions: 10
Itā€™s Dr Turner, thereā€™s literally nothing he canā€™t do, so thatā€™s possible too!
True. Sheila would be on the other side of the river shouting ā€œOh Patrick!ā€

• Haha
Reactions: 20
No poor Cyril. I hope this means he wonā€™t leave. Still need to watch the last episode.
I liked Lucille and feel they could have ended her run far better than they have. Lazy writing.

I'm really bored of the dreary SMJ thread. 12 years of the same thing is just yawnsome. They use her as uninteresting filler material. I didn't like the Nurse Crane storyline either, I just don't think it was realistic at all.

The whole episode for me was 'meh' - the turners are another boring story thread to nothing. Sheila is just too good, too bland, too dull as is Timothy and the turner kids. ...Like the whole show these days really.

There was no sparkle to Trixie's wedding either. I remember back to when Tom and Barbara got married, it had a really magical feel, poor ole Trixie's wedding was a naff disaster.

I'm not sure it has another two seasons in it?

• Wow
Reactions: 15
I think they are losing their core audience with "done and dusted" storylines. I recently rewatched the older series and felt they were better done as the went over a few episodes as in like a soap style. Smj dementia seems to only play a part when it is comical to do so, as much as she makes the show and I'd be sad to see her go its just not realistic after so many years, atleast more decline not a pick up as it seems.

Reactions: 9
It doesnā€™t make sense for mature Jenny to narrate anymore as they ran out of memoirs to base the episodes on! So itā€™s not even about her life anymore anywayā€¦
I totally agree - time it was stopped. Iā€™ve never been a fan of Vanessa Redgrave anyway and hearing her voice at the start of every episode makes me irrationally annoyed!! šŸ˜‚

• Haha
Reactions: 7
My grandad had dementia. I feel bad saying it, but I find SMJ very irritating šŸ˜¬ I donā€™t think she adds anything to the show at all.

• Sad
Reactions: 6
As others have said, I enjoyed the history side of it, in the earlier series.
Youā€™d think as poplar is ā€œvillageā€ like youā€™ll see more of past characters and updates.

Reactions: 4
When they use SMJ more as a wise old lady who has been over looked due to her age but says something really comforting and profound then sheā€™s great but the is she loosing it or going to die storylines are just repetitive and dull

Reactions: 9
When they use SMJ more as a wise old lady who has been over looked due to her age but says something really comforting and profound then sheā€™s great but the is she loosing it or going to die storylines are just repetitive and dull
It was good when she saw the older mum whoā€™d given away her eldest and commented on her first baby been a boy. It was played well as of she was confused etc but turned out she was telling the truth.

Reactions: 11
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.