Call The Midwife #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The car scenes - I was waiting for a crash and you could clearly see Sheilagh wasn't wearing her seatbelt ... It's many years before they become compulsory but maybe that's Dr Turners new campaign and claim to fame 🙄

Reactions: 10
I thought Sheila was pregnant too? What happened to that story line?

I love Nurse Crane, such a sweet character. What will happen to her once she is deemed too old to work?

Reactions: 4
The rate the go through actors it makes me think is the set a nice place to work!?
I think the way characters are written out is bad, which kind of shows the writers don't really care for the character, the actor or the audience. Even Trixie's wedding wasn't given focus. Why have a crash and a death on the day one of the main characters is getting married?

Reactions: 15
I thought Trixie's brother was refreshing addition, I think we may see more of him and perhaps the other brother that was mentioned but we never saw? I was half expecting an appearance in that respect

Reactions: 17
I'm sad about Lucille. They started a storyline about strikes that were tinged with racism but didn't develop it anymore.
I feel like this series has been all over the place.
Looks like we will get some new blood for the next series though.

Reactions: 17
I thought Trixie's brother was refreshing addition, I think we may see more of him and perhaps the other brother that was mentioned but we never saw? I was half expecting an appearance in that respect
Trixie’s brother appeared much older than her. Also is he gay in it? He said something along the lines of marriage was never for him so I thought perhaps they were alluding to it.

Tbh it all got a bit ridiculous - everyone receiving the wrong sized suit, the cake and flowers delivered to the wrong place.
I’m afraid I didn’t enjoy this episode.

Reactions: 15
I'm sad about Lucille. They started a storyline about strikes that were tinged with racism but didn't develop it anymore.
I feel like this series has been all over the place.
Looks like we will get some new blood for the next series though.
I loved Lucille’s character and her interactions with Phyllis and Cyril specifically. Sad to see her go, she was my replacement Barbara in many ways. I find the Turners a bit sanctimonious and sickly sweet at times but obviously they are a huge part of the series so can put up with them.

Reactions: 11
The nosebleeds made me wonder about leukaemia. I hope not. It's a shame that there had to be a fatal accident shoe horned in. No need for it. A Happy day is always spoiled and I'm fed up with it, so predictable.
wasn't there a leukeamia story only a couple of episodes ago? the paper boy?

Reactions: 9
The writing has gone a bit rubbish TBF. I loved the stories about the pill, abortions etc. The thalidomide story was outstanding. But they rush through everything now... The boy with leukemia could have been stretched out, and there could have been storys about the child workers and tell us more about that. Nancy's debt could have been drawn out like Trixie's alcoholism was. There could have been a mixed race relationship storyline with Lizzie and whatever her husband was called, an adoption storyline with geriatric mum which leads to drug use and treatment for it back then and discussions around foster care and children's homes. I feel like the early days we got a real sense of history but now it's over and done with in 1 hour. There's been loads of potential but no real character arcs.

Reactions: 22
The writing has gone a bit rubbish TBF. I loved the stories about the pill, abortions etc. The thalidomide story was outstanding. But they rush through everything now... The boy with leukemia could have been stretched out, and there could have been storys about the child workers and tell us more about that. Nancy's debt could have been drawn out like Trixie's alcoholism was. There could have been a mixed race relationship storyline with Lizzie and whatever her husband was called, an adoption storyline with geriatric mum which leads to drug use and treatment for it back then and discussions around foster care and children's homes. I feel like the early days we got a real sense of history but now it's over and done with in 1 hour. There's been loads of potential but no real character arcs.
I think the writers seem to think we need everything wrapped up in one episode as though any more time on a serious storyline is too much for viewers. As such everything as you pointed out seems so rushed and social issues glanced over. The best storylines need time to develop and I appreciate they have only 8 episodes but you can string things out for longer than 60 minutes.

Reactions: 13
Trixie’s brother appeared much older than her. Also is he gay in it? He said something along the lines of marriage was never for him so I thought perhaps they were alluding to it.

Tbh it all got a bit ridiculous - everyone receiving the wrong sized suit, the cake and flowers delivered to the wrong place.
I’m afraid I didn’t enjoy this episode.
It was a bit stupid. Like a ridiculous comedy.

This series seems to be really half hearted.

Reactions: 6
I see we couldn’t leave the last episode without a Dr Turner saving the day moment. Not all heroes wear capes! 😜😆

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 13
I think the writers seem to think we need everything wrapped up in one episode as though any more time on a serious storyline is too much for viewers. As such everything as you pointed out seems so rushed and social issues glanced over. The best storylines need time to develop and I appreciate they have only 8 episodes but you can string things out for longer than 60 minutes.
Agree with this and post just above it.

I had said to a friend of mine (a fellow fan) after watching the first few episodes of this series that they tried to have too many storylines packed into one hour so nothing was allowed to develop or finish properly.

Have yet to watch last Sunday's episode, but from reading here, it seems it was similar to the previous ones with far too much going on.

Reactions: 5
Well I knew a big sad event was going to happen but, woof, I wasn’t ready for the car accident birth…. I understand they are medical professionals but really continuing on to the wedding?? That’s bone chilling stuff. These people brought dinner to their home like

I’m hoping they’ll get some new blood in with the trainee midwives and it’ll be more like the start of the series again.

Last edited:
Reactions: 14
No poor Cyril. I hope this means he won’t leave. Still need to watch the last episode.
I could see him being paired off with one of the new nurses they’re bringing in - after a respectful amount of time has passed since his divorce. He’s a lovely character in the programme, it would be a shame to lose him. Although saying that, he’s a bit too perfect? Makes him a little less dimensional

Reactions: 9
Why is mature Jenny narrating how perfect Trixie’s wedding was? She wasn’t even there, it would of been a nice touch for her to come back.

Reactions: 16
I see we couldn’t leave the last episode without a Dr Turner saving the day moment. Not all heroes wear capes! 😜😆
I said to my husband, he just always happens to be somewhere when there's an accident.

• Haha
Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.