Call The Midwife #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I feel like violet & Fred have really took over the recent episodes and I can’t stand violet to be honest.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I feel like when we get too many positive episodes in a row something majorly bad could happen in the finale. Either that or it’s all treacle now.

I know this is maybe a controversial thought but I can’t help but feel Nancy’s character is a bit bigoted towards Irish people. Oh she’s Irish so she’s not as perfectly clever or knowledgeable as the English girls. All the other young nurses had moments on screen where we’re lead to see them as beautiful or important, they get love story storylines or achievements in work. I understand they’re probably trying to show how Nancy is forced on a better future for her daughter but they seem to love to set her character up to fail. I’m likely reading way too much into it but I see the pattern with Irish repeat so often on the show, it really grinds.
I can see your point. I don't read it that way (But I'm not Irish!) I see her as a woman raised in a nun run orphanage, who got pregnant young herself and so just hasn't had the same upbringing as the Jenny Lee's and Trixie's had. TBH I often think how absurd it is that she is not only allowed to know where Collette lives, but that she is allowed to see her too. Surely, back in the 60's that child would have been adopted out even without the mother's permission?
---
Agree it was a lacklustre episode. I wonder if the actress who plays Lucille had another job and that’s why she’s not come back. It just doesn’t seem very in character that she’d leave Cyril.

Honestly, I’m not sure the show has another three series left in it. The first few that are based on the book are on another level entirely and no matter what the writers and producers do, they’re just not able to capture that same magic 😕
I think and hope she might be coming back. Her insta seems very positive about the show

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
I feel like violet & Fred have really took over the recent episodes and I can’t stand violet to be honest.
Literally 😂 That scene with Matthew, Trixie and Violet as councillor… I was shielding my eyes honestly 🫣 I get that it was negative feedback regarding the way they were doing their job, but it was like Violet didn’t even care!

Reactions: 7
Literally 😂 That scene with Matthew, Trixie and Violet as councillor… I was shielding my eyes honestly 🫣 I get that it was negative feedback regarding the way they were doing their job, but it was like Violet didn’t even care!
Yeah she’s literally so annoying!

I can see your point. I don't read it that way (But I'm not Irish!) I see her as a woman raised in a nun run orphanage, who got pregnant young herself and so just hasn't had the same upbringing as the Jenny Lee's and Trixie's had. TBH I often think how absurd it is that she is not only allowed to know where Collette lives, but that she is allowed to see her too. Surely, back in the 60's that child would have been adopted out even without the mother's permission?
---

I think and hope she might be coming back. Her insta seems very positive about the show

I've only ever seen her as Lucille so I am really confused by how different she looks in real life. She's a good actress if I can't see Lucille at all in Leonie Elliott

Reactions: 1
Neither can I. All I see is Monica off shameless 🤣

Speaking of Monica’s, I can not believe SMJ is still alive. I was sure she would die on Sunday, it would have given the episode some oomph
Tricky Dicky just cemented her in his building foundations in classic corrie.

• Haha
Reactions: 2
Yes she had a tough start to life so obviously wasn’t treated to the same advantages as the other nurses with families and money. I just take issue with the show repeatedly showing her as careless and dense, something I see them mirror in the other Irish they encounter. It makes sense some of her life skills wouldn’t be right but to get where she was she’d need to be cleverer and shrewder than the show gives her credit for.

I agree her story line is not common.
To be completely honest, it’s highly unlikely a girl like Nancy at that time in Ireland would have been sent off to get training as a nurse. She would have been sent to a woman laundry home for “unfit” women and mothers run by the church once she fell pregnant. These homes would have stolen Collette away (likely to be sold to Americans looking to adopt or other would be adopters). Nancy without family to even attempt to try to get her out would have been worked until she escapes or died. And before anyone says “not in the 60s” the last of the laundries didn’t close until the 90s.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Yes she had a tough start to life so obviously wasn’t treated to the same advantages as the other nurses with families and money. I just take issue with the show repeatedly showing her as careless and dense, something I see them mirror in the other Irish they encounter. It makes sense some of her life skills wouldn’t be right but to get where she was she’d need to be cleverer and shrewder than the show gives her credit for.

To be completely honest, it’s highly unlikely a girl like Nancy at that time in Ireland would have been sent off to get training as a nurse. She would have been sent to a woman laundry home for “unfit” women and mothers run by the church once she fell pregnant. These homes would have stolen Collette away (likely to be sold to Americans looking to adopt or other would be adopters). Nancy without family to even attempt to try to get her out would have been worked until she escapes or died. And before anyone says “not in the 60s” the last of the laundries didn’t close until the 90s.
Agree about the laundries. That would have been more common for the time that she got pregnant.

Reactions: 6

Very true! Like Philomena!

The first couple of series were based on the books and I think we're more realistic regarding people's attitudes etc.

However after the original Jenny Lee stories ran out (she moved into hospice care), I'm sure they said that they started using stories that other midwifes had sent them.

But to be honest, the pass few series have moved into Soapy territory.

No way would Nancy have contact with her daughter, Cyril and Lucille would face daily racism, Reggie wouldn't be a much loved member of the community, Trixie's alcoholism would be well hidden and Phyllis would be retired at 60 - compulsory retirement.

Also what age are Trixie and Sister Monica Joan supposed to be???

I still like the programme. But it doesn't make me cry like it used to.

• Heart
Reactions: 19
I'm pretty sure in the original books, Sister Monica Joan was meant to be pushing 90, which would mean she would be about 100 by now. But she never seems to age! I think it's also implied that she has some sort of dementia, which hasn't worsened over the last decade either.

It's good to see Cyril having more involvement in the storylines. I felt he was always in Lucille's shadow. I personally couldn't warm to Lucille and I don't miss her.

I find it out of character that Lucille didn’t come back or that he didn’t stay with her rather than come back alone.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.