Call The Midwife #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I still miss Barbara. Ive been watching ‘You’ Season 4 and she’s one of the main characters. It brought back memories of Barbara.

Reactions: 9
I don’t know my thoughts on this if I’m honest on one hand it wouldn’t feel a Sunday without CTM on the other hand I do feel it’s kind of run it’s course.
Me too. I feel like the show is limping along through lack of stories. What everyone liked about CTM was they were real stories of women's actual lives at the time. The idea that Trixie and whatshisface would really have Nancy and Collette as her bridesmaids at her society wedding is absurd. The show has lost it's personal touch and intimacy with the stories of women at those times.

Reactions: 21
None of the midwife’s have even commented/noticed that Lucille has left!

Reactions: 20
Re the advertising, photo competition.
In the 60s would the company really have chosen the Shah’s to advertise their products?
Surely back then it would have definitely been a ”typical” white family chosen?

Also, as a previous poster said, would the geriatric mum‘s husband have been so accepting immediately?

I sometimes think the writers are writing this as if it is set in the present day not over 50 years ago.

Reactions: 26
Iv just got the books to start, I love the show but it’s lacking now on the storyline side they turn everything into a happy ending !

Enjoy they are really good. I enjoyed them more than the show. I read them before it was on TV and was really excited when it came on TV. The first couple of series was not a complete let down if I'm honest which can be the case when books are made into shows/films.

Reactions: 4
Re the advertising, photo competition.
In the 60s would the company really have chosen the Shah’s to advertise their products?
Surely back then it would have definitely been a ”typical” white family chosen?

Also, as a previous poster said, would the geriatric mum‘s husband have been so accepting immediately?

I sometimes think the writers are writing this as if it is set in the present day not over 50 years ago.
They probably weren't even born at that time and yes a white family would have been picked. In the 70's there was a series about The Family which was meant to be about a "typical working class" family in Britain. People were a bit miffed as the eldest daughter was living "in sin" with the lodger upstairs and the youngest kid was a product of his Mum's affair which to be fair wasn't that typical. The younger daughter had a black boyfriend and her parents didn't hide their racism about him at all, they made their disapproval perfectly clear.

• Wow
Reactions: 8
I feel like when we get too many positive episodes in a row something majorly bad could happen in the finale. Either that or it’s all treacle now.

I know this is maybe a controversial thought but I can’t help but feel Nancy’s character is a bit bigoted towards Irish people. Oh she’s Irish so she’s not as perfectly clever or knowledgeable as the English girls. All the other young nurses had moments on screen where we’re lead to see them as beautiful or important, they get love story storylines or achievements in work. I understand they’re probably trying to show how Nancy is forced on a better future for her daughter but they seem to love to set her character up to fail. I’m likely reading way too much into it but I see the pattern with Irish repeat so often on the show, it really grinds.

Reactions: 6
None of the midwife’s have even commented/noticed that Lucille has left!
Weird isn't it you'd think they would say SOMETHING!
---
Me too. I feel like the show is limping along through lack of stories. What everyone liked about CTM was they were real stories of women's actual lives at the time. The idea that Trixie and whatshisface would really have Nancy and Collette as her bridesmaids at her society wedding is absurd. The show has lost it's personal touch and intimacy with the stories of women at those times.
I doubt if Nancy and Collette would be bridesmaids at that kind of wedding at best her colleagues would get an invitation to the evening party not the actual wedding.

Reactions: 11
Agree it was a lacklustre episode. I wonder if the actress who plays Lucille had another job and that’s why she’s not come back. It just doesn’t seem very in character that she’d leave Cyril.

Honestly, I’m not sure the show has another three series left in it. The first few that are based on the book are on another level entirely and no matter what the writers and producers do, they’re just not able to capture that same magic 😕

Reactions: 13
I would like to see the introduction of some younger characters - particularly ones like young Jenny and Trixie who were brilliant at their jobs. I like Nancy but I feel how she was introduced (a little bit inept, socially awkward, etc) is difficult to shake and that's how her character is mostly known. Albeit, there is some clear character development.

Anyhow, I miss the days when Jenny, Trixie and Cynthia would be getting ready and going dancing, dating, etc. A lot of the focus now is primarily the families and although its sweet, I'd like the see the fun - not the forced fun of harvest festivals, or another community ball thingy that you just know never happened.
I miss the friendships from earlier series so much! It's all so surface level. Once Trixie gets married, the only midwives living there will be Nancy and Phyllis. They have to start bringing in some more midwives and nuns and bringing the social side back into it!

Reactions: 11
Maybe they are winding things down? I think in the books, JW mentions that Nonnatus closed down, but I can’t remember when.

Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.