Call The Midwife #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Oosh the Irish are getting a pasting here! The mammy has the same hairstyle as my Grandma did. šŸ˜­

• Haha
Reactions: 4
I didnā€™t get that Trixie is particularly close to Colette or Nancy so the end seemed forced. That poor boy having leukaemia , anyone know what his chances of surviving were then?

Reactions: 8
I didnā€™t get that Trixie is particularly close to Colette or Nancy so the end seemed forced. That poor boy having leukaemia , anyone know what his chances of surviving were then?
I'm not sure what it was in 1968 but I'm sure I read a few years ago that in 1960 there was zero chance of survival

• Sad
Reactions: 7
Great episode. Fred knew there wasn't much hope for that little lad.

• Sad
Reactions: 11
As sweet as the ending of the young girl bringing home her baby, the shame she would have felt from neighbours and passers by would have awful back then. The Colette story is also not of its time

Reactions: 5
As sweet as the ending of the young girl bringing home her baby, the shame she would have felt from neighbours and passers by would have awful back then. The Colette story is also not of its time
Yes I thought it odd that the parents wanted to keep the baby but their daughter didnā€™t.
Iā€™d have thought the reverse would be true. The woman was Irish wasnā€™t she? I donā€™t know if that was to imply she was religious but if so, back then theyā€™d have probably disowned their daughter for bringing shame on the family.
Iā€™m sure the midwives and doctors would have been more judgemental too but no, they are so liberal and accepting.

My mum got pregnant in 1961 and she had to get married. There was simply no question of her having the child and keeping it so she got married and had to stay married even though her husband was awful.

My dad got a girl pregnant in 1968 and her family would not allow her and my dad to get married, for religious reasons. The girl was Indian, my dad's family weren't totally accepting of the mixed relationship but would have supported a marriage, which they both wanted. Her family locked her in a room until she was ready to go into an unmarried mother's home where she was forced to give the baby up. It really annoys me that they give the 60s the chocolate box treatment, no one was that accepting. It must have been an awful time to be alive, in many ways

• Sad
Reactions: 23
My mum got pregnant in 1961 and she had to get married. There was simply no question of her having the child and keeping it so she got married and had to stay married even though her husband was awful.

My dad got a girl pregnant in 1968 and her family would not allow her and my dad to get married, for religious reasons. The girl was Indian, my dad's family weren't totally accepting of the mixed relationship but would have supported a marriage, which they both wanted. Her family locked her in a room until she was ready to go into an unmarried mother's home where she was forced to give the baby up. It really annoys me that they give the 60s the chocolate box treatment, no one was that accepting. It must have been an awful time to be alive, in many ways

I love CTM but as you and others have stated it was still a very different time, sadly there was still prejudice towards unmarried mothers and it rang so untrue that the mother of the teenager would have been so keen to have her and the baby. If anything it would have likely been them pressuring for the adoption of the baby. At times they do sugar coat things to the point it becomes unrealistic. It would have been different if the parents were slightly hippy or unconventional but they appeared very conservative, professional and no doubt worried what the neighbours might say.

Reactions: 15
I think CTM has gone a bit too chocolate box in recent series.

I remember the series were Mary was pregnant with a pimp at 15 and she was forced to give up her baby and it drove her mad to the point where she took someone elseā€™s. That was much more in keeping with the times.

Same with the hairdresser who worked from home and she got pregnant with a mixed race baby and her husband kicked off, so she gave it up for adoption. Again, much more realistic.

Of course some husbands did ā€œacceptā€ babies from outside marriage and of course, some unmarried mothers did keep their babies, but not as many.

My exā€™s nan was conceived during the war as the result of an affair between his great nan and a married American solider. Despite it being the 40ā€™s and her being a single mum, she did keep her baby.

Reactions: 19
Something I keep wondering is what part is Trixie going to play in his Jontys life. He has a nanny so how hands on is she going to be?

Will she give up her job?

Reactions: 2
Something I keep wondering is what part is Trixie going to play in his Jontys life. He has a nanny so how hands on is she going to be?

Will she give up her job?
If it stays true to life then she will have to resign. Though Sheilagh still works which is highly unusual

Reactions: 8
If it stays true to life then she will have to resign. Though Sheilagh still works which is highly unusual
Shelagh gave it up when she got married but then missed it so asked sister julienne if she could come back. And so did chummy actually. But I thought back then they had to be unmarried.

Reactions: 6
I think in a private set up like the nuns were they could employ anyone they wanted. I know private schools could employ married teachers. By 1960 a lot of nurses were married with families. I think more women worked than you might expect. I know my mother and most of my friends' mums did. There were a lot of latchkey kids.

Reactions: 5
I think in a private set up like the nuns were they could employ anyone they wanted. I know private schools could employ married teachers. By 1960 a lot of nurses were married with families. I think more women worked than you might expect. I know my mother and most of my friends' mums did. There were a lot of latchkey kids.
Yeah my nan worked while raising seven kids. This was in the 50s-70s. She worked on and off, but generally she worked as they just couldnā€™t afford to live otherwise.

Reactions: 3
I think CTM has gone a bit too chocolate box in recent series.

I remember the series were Mary was pregnant with a pimp at 15 and she was forced to give up her baby and it drove her mad to the point where she took someone elseā€™s. That was much more in keeping with the times.

Same with the hairdresser who worked from home and she got pregnant with a mixed race baby and her husband kicked off, so she gave it up for adoption. Again, much more realistic.

Of course some husbands did ā€œacceptā€ babies from outside marriage and of course, some unmarried mothers did keep their babies, but not as many.

My exā€™s nan was conceived during the war as the result of an affair between his great nan and a married American solider. Despite it being the 40ā€™s and her being a single mum, she did keep her baby.
I still remember Doctor Turnerā€™s attitude to the lad who was gay that was working in a hotel. Compare that to the doctors on Itā€™s a Sin in the 80ā€™s are we supposed to believe attitudes regressed in twenty years.

Reactions: 9
I still remember Doctor Turnerā€™s attitude to the lad who was gay that was working in a hotel. Compare that to the doctors on Itā€™s a Sin in the 80ā€™s are we supposed to believe attitudes regressed in twenty years.
I agree. There is no way heā€™d have reacted like that in the 1960s. If the writers made Timothy gay, no doubt Dr Turner would throw him a coming out party and invite the nuns! šŸ˜†

• Haha
Reactions: 16
I agree. There is no way heā€™d have reacted like that in the 1960s. If the writers made Timothy gay, no doubt Dr Turner would throw him a coming out party and invite the nuns! šŸ˜†
I have my suspicions that could very well be on the cards for Timothy you know. But yes it would be a joyous celebration with balloons, tea and cake wouldnā€™t it?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.