Buffy and Angel

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I've watched enough Buffy and Angel for an entire lifetime, I had the VHS boxsets and just watched them on loop growing up. I preferred Angel overall but both will always have a place in my heart. I longed to be fighting evil alongside them šŸ˜‚

Reactions: 1
I'm one of those weird Angel is better than Buffy people although it strikes me that while I love the show that it hardly has any good full seasons. The first season is well done but it can be a little dry, the second season is excellent throughout and really feels as if it's building towards something epic and then three quarters of the way in all the story lines are just dropped or wrapped up unceremoniously. I quite liked the little Pylea arc which closed the season (and love Lorne as a character) but it's so at odds with everything else that happened in that season I just wonder what happened. I remember reading a rumour that they were looking to cross over with Buffy characters but that shows move to UPN scuppered it.

Season 3 was okay but I never much cared for the Connor stuff. I loved Season 4 at the time for all the various twists and turns but it doesn't stand up to repeat viewings once you know were all the shocks are coming from and none of it really makes sense. On balance I actually think Season 5 is the best Angel season. The only knock I can give it is the lack of Cordelia apart from the 100th episode.

Reactions: 3
There's a lot I love about Angel season 5, being inside W&H really refreshed it! Smile Time/A Whole In The World as a pair of episodes that were the absolute opposite of each other are still right up there with my favourites ever.

I'm still sad that Andy Hallett is no longer with us.

Reactions: 5
Has anyone met any of the cast?

I have met:
Andy Hallett
Julia Benz
Stephanie Romanov
Anthony Stewart-Head

Reactions: 2
I prefered Angel too. I felt it was more 'grown up' at the time. I also prefered Angel as a character, he never disappointed me like Buffy sometimes did. I remember when I started watching Angel and I was annoyed Cordelia was brought into it. But she ended up being my favourite character! And Wesley, the comedy relief in Buffy (how could he ever replace Doyle!?), had the biggest character arc of any in Angel. I also liked Connor (unpopular I know but I think I had a bit of a crush). I still put Buffy Seasons 2 and 3 above Angel, but Buffy Seasons 6 and 7 the worst of either series.

Doyles death was definitely the saddest for me out of any of the deaths on Angel, it stills makes me cry even now and I've seen that episode so many times šŸ˜‚

"I'll guess we'll never know... If this is a face you could learn to love."

I think that was the only Buffy/Angel death I was genuinely quite teary over (sorry Tara, Joyce).

• Sad
In rewatched buffy in lockdown 1, i will always love it. I cried my eyes out when she got class protector at prom šŸ˜­šŸ˜­
I never forget the scene when after they resurrect her she tells Spike she was in heaven/happy place not burning in eternal torture šŸ˜­ I forgot how emotional it was!
I tried watching angel on All4 I think the adverts get to me and I just wasnā€™t feeling it, I dipped in and out when it first aired on tv here so never really followed the storyline ... how does Doyle die??

how does Doyle die??
Nazi-like demons that were hunting Doyle's race for being impure had a light that killed anyone even partly human. Angel was going to sacrifice himself to destroy it but Doyle shockingly punched him in the face and did it himself. Not before he gave Cordelia a farewell kiss. The next episode we find out this was to pass on the visions to Cordy.

• Sad
  • Heart
Always enjoyed Angel more than Buffy, gutted me that the final season of Angel felt rushed. The transformation of Wesley in Buffy to how he ended up being in Angel is probably my most favourite character transformation of any show I've ever watched.

brilliant!

Iā€™ve literally just started my rewatch of Buffy & Iā€™m already on season 4. I forgot how much I absolutely love this show. Iā€™ve cried, Iā€™ve sobbed & ive laughed & finding it so much better watching it now Iā€™m older (28) although I have no idea why I genuinely thought SMG did all the fighting scenes when I was younger when itā€™s quite clearly a man half the time šŸ˜‚
I know everyone was hating on season 4 but I love it, Iā€™ve genuinely laughed out loud at so many episodes. Spike is my fave & ive always loved him & Buffy over Angel & Buffy.
I dislike Riley (sorry haha).
My fave episode is probably the graduation part 2, as well as the episode Willowā€™s will is done where she makes Spike & Buffy get married, OMWF obviously & I love Hush.
theres probably more in the later seasons that Iā€™ve forgotten about that I love which Iā€™m sure Iā€™ll remember as my rewatch goes on.
I sobbed so much when spike ā€œdiedā€ in the last every episode. I wish the ending was different. I miss it, I wish theyā€™d do more seasons again.

I never actually liked Angel but I think itā€™s because I loved Buffy so so much I couldnā€™t/wouldnā€™t get into it properly. I think I watched the first season & then gave up.
I think Iā€™m going to watch it after Iā€™ve finished Buffy & see if I can get into it now Iā€™ve got over the heartbreak of Buffy ending šŸ¤£

I never actually liked Angel but I think itā€™s because I loved Buffy so so much I couldnā€™t/wouldnā€™t get into it properly. I think I watched the first season & then gave up.
I think Iā€™m going to watch it after Iā€™ve finished Buffy & see if I can get into it now Iā€™ve got over the heartbreak of Buffy ending šŸ¤£
I'd actually start watching Angel now so the crossovers make more sense!

• Heart
Love Buffy!

Donā€™t hate but I do love Riley! Always have and always will!

Hated season 4 though - the whole vibe was just bit naff in my opinion. Season 3 and 5 were strong.

Hate Dawn, Kennedy, Anya and Principal Wood.
Hate Dawn!! Haha but I think mainly for the fact I was so obsessed with the show that I thought if Buffy had a sister it should be me :LOL::ROFLMAO: I was a weird, highly imaginative kid

• Haha
Reactions: 6
I actually put off revisiting Buffy, I used to remember clamouring for the remote to watch it at teatime on BBC2 too. I can remember my mind getting blown at the effects in Primeval. And it was the first TV show I followed from start to finish. But I worried that rewatching it now might ruin that for me, because now I canā€™t rewatch Gilmore Girls without wanting to backhand any of those Gilmore Girls šŸ¤­.

Good news is, I started watching it and I still love it šŸ˜Š

I was super late to the Buffy bandwagon: only started watching it last January after I got Prime and realised it was all on there. But I had at least two Media lecturers at uni and an ex-friend on my course pure gush about Buffy for ages (which actually put me off for a bit because the ex-friend had some terrible taste in TV too šŸ˜‚) and I knew it was one of those Shows That Matteredā„¢ in media. Plus I used to see ads for it on Sky One as a kid and it always looked/sounded cool - and was totally unrelated to me having a slight crush on Sarah Michelle Gellar as a kid thanks to the Scooby Doo films šŸ˜‚

But I thought it held up pretty well, considering its about as old as I am (which feels as horrific to say as it will to read). Some of it definitely still feels very 90s/00s (the technology, the clothes) but you can definitely still feel the impact of it has. 'Walk Through The Fire' just missed out on being in my 2020 Spotify Wrapped - and I wouldn't have even felt ashamed šŸ˜‚ 10/10 would throw fists for Buffy Summers and all her lesbian witch friends šŸ„° (Xander can stay but he's on thin bleeping ice)

Reactions: 4
I always adored buffy with spike, heā€™s the only one of her boyfriends that seemed an equal match. Riley was incredibly mansplainy and overbearing despite being less capable than the literal chosen one. And Angel was a douche, he was a human douche then he was a horrific vampire douche , when he first got his soul back he still was awful, he only improved because of the combination of a soul and ostracism from the other vamps.

Spike was just like Buffy, a fundamentally good and kind person , just wanting to be loved who got warped by familial issues (her divorced parents, his abusive mother) and the supernatural world (and Angel) into someone violent, angry, self righteous, with a need to matter and have purpose and who, when it counts, will do the right thing even if it sucks for them.

Also spike is the only boyfriend who ever put in any effort to deserve her, he literally fought for a soul for her- Angel and Riley could never

I always adored buffy with spike, heā€™s the only one of her boyfriends that seemed an equal match. Riley was incredibly mansplainy and overbearing despite being less capable than the literal chosen one. And Angel was a douche, he was a human douche then he was a horrific vampire douche , when he first got his soul back he still was awful, he only improved because of the combination of a soul and ostracism from the other vamps.

Spike was just like Buffy, a fundamentally good and kind person , just wanting to be loved who got warped by familial issues (her divorced parents, his abusive mother) and the supernatural world (and Angel) into someone violent, angry, self righteous, with a need to matter and have purpose and who, when it counts, will do the right thing even if it sucks for them.

Also spike is the only boyfriend who ever put in any effort to deserve her, he literally fought for a soul for her- Angel and Riley could never
He was never a boyfriend! Think they were just buddies ;)

I was super late to the Buffy bandwagon: only started watching it last January after I got Prime and realised it was all on there. But I had at least two Media lecturers at uni and an ex-friend on my course pure gush about Buffy for ages (which actually put me off for a bit because the ex-friend had some terrible taste in TV too šŸ˜‚) and I knew it was one of those Shows That Matteredā„¢ in media. Plus I used to see ads for it on Sky One as a kid and it always looked/sounded cool - and was totally unrelated to me having a slight crush on Sarah Michelle Gellar as a kid thanks to the Scooby Doo films šŸ˜‚

But I thought it held up pretty well, considering its about as old as I am (which feels as horrific to say as it will to read). Some of it definitely still feels very 90s/00s (the technology, the clothes) but you can definitely still feel the impact of it has. 'Walk Through The Fire' just missed out on being in my 2020 Spotify Wrapped - and I wouldn't have even felt ashamed šŸ˜‚ 10/10 would throw fists for Buffy Summers and all her lesbian witch friends šŸ„° (Xander can stay but he's on thin bleeping ice)
The clothes and the hair is seasons 1&2 in particular havenā€™t aged well!

He was never a boyfriend! Think they were just buddies ;)
I knowwww
although they kinda were engaged (for a day, under a spell I know šŸ˜‚) but they loved each other in the end. Still mildly upset that she still chose to date Riley after having the privilege of making out with Spike. God heā€™s fit