Brit Pop

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I've just had to explain the Blur 'Song 2' "is there any jam" (pleased to meet you) joke to my son. He looked at me like I was insane. I've tried to explain that we could not Google lyrics in the 90's. Please tell me someone else remembers the jam thing?!
I don’t remember it, but I really want to know it!

That’s why Smash Hits was so great though, it had a whole lyrics section.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I don’t remember it, but I really want to know it!

That’s why Smash Hits was so great though, it had a whole lyrics section.
It was just the line 'pleased to meet you'. People didn't know what it said so used to sing it as 'is there any jam'. It was definitely a country wide thing (not just me in my bedroom singing 😆) as I've seen bits posted about it over the years.

• Haha
Reactions: 5
It was just the line 'pleased to meet you'. People didn't know what it said so used to sing it as 'is there any jam'. It was definitely a country wide thing (not just me in my bedroom singing 😆) as I've seen bits posted about it over the years.
That’s brilliant! I can’t believe it passed me by, but I can totally believe it was one of these funny things that took off!

Reactions: 3
Ah this is amazing. Loved that magazine so much and I think I bought every edition from 1992 onwards. I randomly clicked on one cover and a PWEI article came up. Not a Britpop musician as such but Clint Mansell's career path must surely be one of the most unexpected of all British indie musicians from that time. From Brummie grebo to esteemed Hollywood composer. Stills blows my mind.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
I was just telling my son about Divine Comedy. He's really into Brit pop stuff (he's 14) and particularly likes Blur so is watching them on TV tonight with me.

I was meant to see Divine Comedy last year. I'd got tickets but my ex refused to look after the children for the evening so I didn't get to go in the end. I was gutted.

I'd love to take him to some of these revival gigs but his dad won't look after his siblings to enable me to do it. It makes me quite sad because we could share some really special moments. I've promised to bombard him with 90's Indie on our way to Devon in a couple of weeks (something I've always done anyway so he'll realise he knows more songs than he thinks) #stealthIndie 😁.
If I lived near you and wasn't an internet rando I'd volunteer myself or my three toothed halitosis dog to watch your kids while you and your lad lived your best Britpop life ♥

I saw Pulp this evening. It was so, so special but also so sweaty 🤣
---
I'm also mentally banking the mention of Blur stuff for when my OH is out on Weds next week. It sounds immense 💃

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I love Sandstorm by Cast.

Did anyone listen to The Evening Sessions (Jo Wiley and Steve Lamaq) in the 90s? I loved it. There were so many great bands and singers that I heard for the first time on that show.

I also loved the White Room, when I was looking it up I saw this tape, it was a classic!

View attachment 2339956
I have this cassette! Another one as well that's songs to drive to, wonderful keepsakes now. The quality of this stuff not to mention the magazines themselves was second to none. I had hundreds of issues of Q, Select, Mojo (and earlier on Smash Hits) as well as the music papers. I could only keep a choice few over several moves. 🫤
---
I really need to check out these books! I have Miki Berenyi’s but not read it yet.
I'm just over 100 pages in on Miki's book and it's a very interesting read so far, although heartbreaking, her childhood was absolutely bonkers. 😕💔 I'm looking forward to reading about the start of Lush and meeting Emma in the band. I also have Viv Albertine's book to read next.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 7
I've just had to explain the Blur 'Song 2' "is there any jam" (pleased to meet you) joke to my son. He looked at me like I was insane. I've tried to explain that we could not Google lyrics in the 90's. Please tell me someone else remembers the jam thing?!
I remember it - I’m pretty sure it was on ‘Never Mind the Buzzcocks’. I always hear it as ‘is there any jam’ whenever I hear that song.
---
Dog man star holds up to the test of time. Jarvis I adore. I also love Divine Comedy. Music was so diverse I the 90s. I love it all
Pulp & The Divine Comedy are possibly my two favourite bands of all time. I’ve seen TDC live more times than I can count!

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
I was a bit too young for gigs when everyone was touring in the 90s but was so in love with Damon Albarn. He still makes me swoon in person, despite being absolutely teeny tiny. Finally saw Blur at Hyde Park and my inner teen was delighted.

Saw Pulp in Dublin recently and whilst not quite Britpop, just by virtue of their long career, I can't believe how good they are. It's also one of the most chill gigs I've been to and everyone who were wearing band shirts had on ones I love.

Fancied Liam, for about an hour, and didn't like Oasis past the second album.

I was going through a lot of horrible stuff in the 90s so my memories are scarce but they all definitely turned me onto music in a way nothing else did.
Well he's just split with his partner of 25 years so you might be in with a chance!

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 7
The split rumours turned out to be true then. I first saw speculations a month or two back on the blur forum. Wonder what he did to get kicked out 😆

Reactions: 6
Well he's just split with his partner of 25 years so you might be in with a chance!
He does live locally to me too... But the whole pocket rocket, possible junkie and neck tattoo makes it a no from me. (I know, he'll be devastated).

I once saw Divine Comedy at V Festival, in Chelmsford, and Neil covered Maneater by Nelly Futardo. He dedicated it to the crowd, with some chat about it being appropriate for an Essex crowd, and you could have heard a pin drop. I was almost wetting myself with laughter, mind 🤭

• Haha
Reactions: 15
That’s really sad, I didn’t realise they’d been together for so long.

I don’t mean this in a flippant way, but I find it interesting that the songs he’s written during what must be a really emotional, hard time, found their way to a Blur album, as opposed to a solo record. Maybe the familiarly and long term friendship within the band was a source of comfort?

My other half will fight you for Damon 😅 He absolutely idolises him! He keeps buying all the same clobber he is wearing, all the old vintage fila stuff 😂

We were at the Colchester come back gig in May, it was mental, and can you belive only £25 a ticket! A tiny venue, so to literally see the whites of Damons eyes was quite something. My 12 year old self couldn't quite believe it 😍 I did feel like a bit of an imposter I must admit, it was full of proper hardcore blur fans, like my other half, who I think had the best night of his life! Whereas I only really knew the 90s bangers.

I'm hoping to go to Liams definitely maybe tour next year that he keeps promising. I've got a major soft spot for Liam and his twitter posts are my guilty pleasure 😂

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 13
Saw Blur about 13 years ago in Hyde Park in the first kind of "reunion" shows. Would have loved to have seen Pulp the other week. Love the Divine Comedy too, always makes me smile when I hear the National Express! Didn't they do the Father Ted music too? Or I might have made that up!

When I stayed in Iceland we were staying next door to Damon Alburns bar and it was always packed out! We didn't go in though as I was pregnant and knackered 😅

Reactions: 11
He does live locally to me too... But the whole pocket rocket, possible junkie and neck tattoo makes it a no from me. (I know, he'll be devastated).
That neck tattoo screams "middle aged divorcee"

• Haha
Reactions: 12
I find Liam Gallagher hilarious with his absolute no nonsense one liners on Twitter.
He is also so nice to people back in the provinces of Ireland, aka Mayo. ‘Are you Liam Gallagher, I am yeah, alright how are you?’ Etc etc.
He is there about five times a year, and the local pub owner treats him the same as everyone else.

• Heart
Oh and by the way re Graham Coxon- he’s a total tit bag. Shagged young fans in his house while his wife and small child were out. Left his wife in America during covid and fucked off back to England alone. Left her with duck all money and PTSD. She has photos on her insta of her with bruises which seem to be due to him.
This video is grim when you know what he did days after.

• Sick
  • Angry
Reactions: 2
I have this cassette! Another one as well that's songs to drive to, wonderful keepsakes now. The quality of this stuff not to mention the magazines themselves was second to none. I had hundreds of issues of Q, Select, Mojo (and earlier on Smash Hits) as well as the music papers. I could only keep a choice few over several moves. 🫤
---

I'm just over 100 pages in on Miki's book and it's a very interesting read so far, although heartbreaking, her childhood was absolutely bonkers. 😕💔 I'm looking forward to reading about the start of Lush and meeting Emma in the band. I also have Viv Albertine's book to read next.
I loved Lush. I was devastated when Chris took his own life. Poor guy 😞

• Sad
  • Heart