Brianna Ghey Murder Trial #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
One other thing that’s minor and irrelevant to the crime, but which I can’t quite understand.

We hear that Brianna would have felt glad she was being asked out by someone she thought was a friend, as if she was socially isolated and turned gratefully to Girl X because she didn’t have much company.

But didn’t Brianna, in contrast to Boy Y (and maybe Girl X) have loads of social media followers? On TikTok she does “get ready with me” videos, appears without make up, dances, acts out skits with other girls, poses in skimpy outfits.

This isn’t remotely to blame or problematise Brianna. All the above is probably typical of girls her age. But she does not come across as someone especially lacking confidence and friends, who needed to hang out with sinister weirdos.

Reactions: 7
One other thing that’s minor and irrelevant to the crime, but which I can’t quite understand.

We hear that Brianna would have felt glad she was being asked out by someone she thought was a friend, as if she was socially isolated and turned gratefully to Girl X because she didn’t have much company.

But didn’t Brianna, in contrast to Boy Y (and maybe Girl X) have loads of social media followers? On TikTok she does “get ready with me” videos, appears without make up, dances, acts out skits with other girls, poses in skimpy outfits.

This isn’t remotely to blame or problematise Brianna. All the above is probably typical of girls her age. But she does not come across as someone especially lacking confidence and friends, who needed to hang out with sinister weirdos.
I think that alone is the sad reality for a lot of people on social media with a large following. Loneliness and mental health issues. Honestly I can’t find much to praise for where we’re at with social media and the internet.

Reactions: 30
It is ironic too that Girl X thought Brianna wouldn’t be widely missed - she could just have gone off with a lad and the police would fumble their local investigation then let it drop.

Maybe it’s (paradoxically) because Girl X didn’t think it was especially notable that Brianna was trans that she didn’t realise the national media would react to the murder of a trans girl as a hate crime and a symptom of broader social transphobia.

In these respects Girl X, for all her planning, seems extremely naive, and Boy Y, supposed genius teaching himself A levels, didn’t work out the problem either.
---
I think that alone is the sad reality for a lot of people on social media with a large following. Loneliness and mental health issues. Honestly I can’t find much to praise for where we’re at with social media and the internet.

Good point though in this case it was useful that the killers were dependent on Snapchat rather than old fashioned phone calls or conversations in person

Reactions: 8
In this context, those two things are one and the same
You are suggesting that by saying she was vulnerable we are blaming her (in part) for her own death?

Absolutely not the case. But would I suggest that because she vulnerable, other people are partly to blame, yes, quite possibly.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
Yes - they were both excluded but I don’t know if it was related.
X was excluded from Culcheth High School in 2021 (where she met Y), she then joined Birchwood in 2022 and was not excluded as far as we know. Brianna was suspended from school a few days before she was killed according to her Tik Tok and she never said what for

Reactions: 5
I just watched some of Briannas short video clips on YouTube, she truly was beautiful, it’s so sad 😞

• Sad
Reactions: 5
Friends on SM isn’t the same as a mate IRL though. I can see why B’s poor mum was happy she had a mate to encourage her to go outside

Reactions: 12
As far as we know, that could be nonsense. It’s only from Girl X’s evidence that she says she’s lured Brianna there with the pretence of doing cocaine. And she’s nothing if not an unreliable narrator.

I don’t think any of this victim blaming is helpful or relevant.
You’re completely missing the point. Nobody on here is victim blaming. People are merely pointing out factors that made Brianna vulnerable. A vulnerable child is NEVER at fault. However, a vulnerable child is more at risk of abuse.

• Heart
Reactions: 28
Surely no one is victim blaming. My daughter is 9 and I've had to step in when tiktok was inappropriate. But I remember being 15 and 16. Brianna was beautiful and she obviously loved her genre.

Reactions: 6
It is ironic too that Girl X thought Brianna wouldn’t be widely missed - she could just have gone off with a lad and the police would fumble their local investigation then let it drop.

Maybe it’s (paradoxically) because Girl X didn’t think it was especially notable that Brianna was trans that she didn’t realise the national media would react to the murder of a trans girl as a hate crime and a symptom of broader social transphobia.

In these respects Girl X, for all her planning, seems extremely naive, and Boy Y, supposed genius teaching himself A levels, didn’t work out the problem either.
---

Good point though in this case it was useful that the killers were dependent on Snapchat rather than old fashioned phone calls or conversations in person
I would like to think that regardless of someone’s gender identity that this case would have got the national recognition and outrage it deserves. A 16 year old being killed in this way by two 15 years is beyond disturbing no matter what. Brianna’s trans identity is only one element of it.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 18
I would like to think that regardless of someone’s gender identity that this case would have got national recognition and outrage it deserves. A 16 year old being killed in this way by two 15 years is beyond disturbing no matter what. Brianna’s trans identity is only one element of it.
It's all they focus on. They will look at social media and the videos and the tiny skirts.. And that's all they're going to remember. When it's the 1%.

Reactions: 11
I would like to think that regardless of someone’s gender identity that this case would have got the national recognition and outrage it deserves. A 16 year old being killed in this way by two 15 years is beyond disturbing no matter what. Brianna’s trans identity is only one element of it.

Good point. I remember the story being amplified right from the start though with an association of “gender critical attitudes contributed to this”, “we are all vulnerable to this trans genocide”

I don’t think it would unfortunately. I think a lot of people and media outlets are using this case for political gain. But it’s evident she wasn’t murdered because she was trans. She was murdered and she was trans. I really feel for the children that were on that list, how they must feel now knowing that it could and would have been them. Especially Boy E(?), I can’t imagine how that would feel? Relief that it wasn’t me but guilty because someone else was murdered instead because I didn’t meet them prior. Just can’t get my head around it.

• Sad
Reactions: 24
I agree and I think it would have done. But the fact that she was transgender did make it a bigger story as initially people were not sure if it was a hate crime or not.

I actually think like a PP up thread, that X didn't really think about Brianna's trans status (sorry if that's not the right word!) and failed to see the impact it would have on the investigation or whatever.

Reactions: 11
I don’t think it would unfortunately. I think a lot of people and media outlets are using this case for political gain. But it’s evident she wasn’t murdered because she was trans. She was murdered and she was trans. I really feel for the children that were on that list, how they must feel now knowing that it could and would have been them. Especially Boy E(?), I can’t imagine how that would feel? Relief that it wasn’t me but guilty because someone else was murdered instead because I didn’t meet them prior. Just can’t get my head around it.
“Survivors guilt” very true

Reactions: 7
I don't want links, but if someone can point me in a direction to see photos of the supposedly-named accused?
I've only seen the one image of them both (school photos) but everyone says there are more?

What gets me about this case is Brianna's mum messaging how proud she was that she'd got the bus on her own, seeing how nervous and anxious she could be... and that she was on the way to her death.
It's all just heartbreaking.

I don't want links, but if someone can point me in a direction to see photos of the supposedly-named accused?
I've only seen the one image of them both (school photos) but everyone says there are more?

What gets me about this case is Brianna's mum messaging how proud she was that she'd got the bus on her own, seeing how nervous and anxious she could be... and that she was on the way to her death.
It's all just heartbreaking.
If you know their names from the school photos posts their social media accounts are easy to find.

Reactions: 4
I still can't believe the depravity these kids have displayed. I can't comprehend it. Seems like a folie au deux, because I think they both egged each other on.
Poor Brianna, she must have been so terriblfied in those final moments

• Sad
Reactions: 14
I still can't believe the depravity these kids have displayed. I can't comprehend it. Seems like a folie au deux, because I think they both egged each other on.
Poor Brianna, she must have been so terriblfied in those final moments
I agree. I don’t think this would have happened had they never met.

Reactions: 10
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.