Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Horatio

VIP Member
Corbyn is definitely Eurosceptic at the least and has never done a good job hiding it. Then Theresa May, in charge of overseeing Brexit, campaigned for Remain at the time. One of the many political paradoxes that have contributed to this chaos. The traditional party system does not represent where we are now at all.

You blame Blair and Brown, I’m sure there’s some strong links that will only become clearer over time. But I can’t help but be furious with David Cameron. I genuinely think a lot of it was his arrogance after previous wins - Scottish referendum, getting a majority in 2015 election - and to settle a factional dispute in his own party. Most people didn’t care - yes maybe they had some strong feelings about the state of the country but this was not the way. People didn’t know enough about the EU to make a decision like that - and I’m talking about voters on both sides here.

Imagine all the things the government could be working on without this?!

Reactions: 11

Tulips

It's a shame all this has split the country so much, I've never seen anything like it. Couples have even divorced because of it, it's ridiculous. I'm from a European background so I guess I'm 'biased' in wanting a second vote. I understand where people are coming from about unelected bureaucrats but I don't think it greatly affects our lives, each country in the EU still decides their own laws for the most part. I favour the employee rights, food standards, etc. I think the positives outweigh any negatives but that's just my opinion.

Reactions: 9

Daisy dukes

I voted to remain,as did most of Scotland where I live, a no deal Brexit would be a disaster for the country and I cant understand why people would want this, the leave campaign was full of inaccuracies and lies and this has been proven, people voted to leave for the wrong reasons as they believed the lies they were sold, all those politicians should hang there heads in shame.

Reactions: 7

emmer_moans

VIP Member
I'm so torn. On the one hand, I really don't want us to leave. But.... having a second vote ruins the integrity of democracy. What SHOULD have happened is better preparation for the referendum in the first place. A lot of people voted leave on a whim, and then expressed remorse when it actually happened.

Surely we haven't got time for a general election now. I think they should form a coalition government, pool ideas, get the job done correctly, doing the best they can to minimize the impact on us all. I am sick of all the back and forth between the parties at the moment. They need to FOCUS ON THE TASK!

My main immediate worries if we do leave:-

-Brexit being used as excuse for prices going up and taxes going up, and wages going down, meaning we are all hit directly in the pocket, meaning we will find it even harder to save for future, houses etc.
-Employment rights going down hill (i.e. everyone forced onto 0 hour contracts, no sick pay etc)
-No NHS. I am terrified that we will go down the insurance route. We already pay up to the eyeballs for many other things, it is terrifying.

All the above are my own fears, not saying they will happen but let's be real, this is going to cost each and every one of us, and IT IS GOING TO HURT, whether we wanted to leave or not.

Reactions: 7

MunkyMagic

I saw someone else say this. Can I ask why?
Hi, yes of course. My main issue is political control. When the EU was created is was primarily focussed on economic trade and I think that the net benefit of gloabisation has been achieved to the member states. I am under no illusion that leaving the EU will cause short term economic problems. But economic booms and slumps are easier to rectify than cultural and political shifts.

The political influence in the EU - particularly globalISM (not globalisation) and free movement of people is allowing far right populists to gain traction as evidenced throughout Europe. It is dangerous, particularly as the EU is becoming fractured. It will result in far right political parties gaining more than a toe hold in power through democratic representation. The biggest threat of that is of course that so much power is held in the hands of so few. My opinion - and of course your mileage may vary - is that the political clout of the EU needs to be lessened. I cannot see an extreme political party gaining power in the UK as a sovereign nation before I can see it getting significant representation in The EU.

i just want to add that I appreciate that Brexit brings out a passionate response in people; we all get frustrated at those on the other side of the argument that cannot see or agree with our POV. However a condescending tone of implying stupidity and buying propaganda is rarely helpful to your cause, just causes barriers to dialogue and debate, hence gridlock ?‍♀

Last edited:
Reactions: 6

WiKi

I think,in an ideal world, some form of a possible deal should have been on the table before we were given the choice to vote on it. In or Out was a ridiculous choice, how were we supposed to know what Out even meant? I think that’s why there’s the call for a second vote. We have more information now (still not enough as far as I’m concerned) so should be given the choice.
We were asked to choose between black and white but are now going to get some random shade of grey so what was the point in even asking us?

SunshineDreamer

Chatty Member
In my opinion we voted to leave, so we leave. I think, if there is a second vote is should be between the PMs deal and no deal. It shouldn’t be a stay or no deal vote.

Inkling95

As electoral fraud was committed, all of Leaves “points” were based on lies, as well as it being a opinion referendum (not law), we should either get a second vote or scrap the whole thing. If you’re really that uneducated to think that a no deal Brexit is a good thing, please educate yourselves. The only people who will survive a no deal Brexit are the ultra rich. We have a poverty crisis, a homelessness crisis, a food bank crisis, and we now want to go no deal? Quite honestly, if you think people should suffer because “we voted leave, and leave means leave” you’re disgraceful and disgusting.

Reactions: 5

Tulips

Inkling95 ?? It's true the ultra wealthy will benefit from Brexit in that they would be more likely to get away with tax fraud and/or pay their workers sh*t wages and conditions. Sounds like the Dyson guy has already taken this opportunity to make more money out of it, along with loads of other big companies.
I had to laugh recently when a guy called in to LBC saying that money was being wasted on interpreters in hospitals: it turned out these were mostly people from South America and Asia, nothing to do with the EU lol.
I wonder if anyone here watched that C4 Cumberbatch film about all the lies and populist sentiment?

Inkling95

Inkling95 ?? It's true the ultra wealthy will benefit from Brexit in that they would be more likely to get away with tax fraud and/or pay their workers sh*t wages and conditions. Sounds like the Dyson guy has already taken this opportunity to make more money out of it, along with loads of other big companies.
I had to laugh recently when a guy called in to LBC saying that money was being wasted on interpreters in hospitals: it turned out these were mostly people from South America and Asia, nothing to do with the EU lol.
I wonder if anyone here watched that C4 Cumberbatch film about all the lies and populist sentiment?
The fact that Rees-Mogg has been moving his money to Irish bank accounts as soon as the vote came through was quite telling, IMO.

• Sick

daisiemae

I can’t say whether I think we should leave without a deal or for Theresa May’s deal... both have the potential to be damaging. However I do not think we should have a second referendum. It undermines our democracy completely. Would we then need a third, or a fourth, if the result isn’t as desired? The same for future general elections, people will expect second votes there, and that doesn’t work in a democratic society. In my opinion a second vote would be more catastrophic to our country than no deal/May’s deal would be. It is a mess though; that I think we can all agree on!

Reactions: 4

Yel

Chatty Member
I don't think it greatly affects our lives, each country in the EU still decides their own laws for the most part.
You're right, but for a long time politicians in the UK have blamed the EU as an easy excuse and the resentment has been building. Lots of things they are within control to fix but they don't want to / doesn't fit their agenda.

I think brexit is a result of Tony Blair and Gordon Brown more than anyone else.

Corbyn putting weight behind a 2nd vote is huge. Will probably destroy the labour support in much of the country and more ongoing problems.

MunkyMagic

So after listening to LBC pretty much constantly, I think it will play out as follows:-

• No Deal will be voted down tonight
  • There will be an extension sought (hopefully the EU will agree, if not we are hard Brexit on 29th March regardless of this shite)
  • It will rumble on until May/June
  • General election will be called
  • more pointless batting about the same points; leave will be even more costly as EU will insist on bigger settlement
  • Rinse repeat of last 3 months
  • Second referendum
  • Leave vote will be split between No Deal and whatever deal is on the table, ensuring remain wins

Polls last night indicated that voting sway has remained unchanged; leave marginally ahead of remain, momentum amongst leaders wanting no deal increasing to about half of all leave votes.

In short; great for the economy, bad for democracy. Sets a precedent for future closely matched referendums to be obfuscated and frustrated into a politically preferable option. Not sure I like MPs having that power, especially with parties becoming polarised.

Horatio

VIP Member
It’s a mess. There are no good options. A second vote would be impossibly damaging for democracy ( we are already so divided as has been said). No deal is a disaster economicallly...

Reactions: 3

Tulips

Tulips +++
I had to laugh at the 'plus plus plus', can't wait for all this silly jargon to end :)

Another silly thing is this issue with not being able to have wonky/different size fruit and veg in UK supermarkets, and this being blamed on the EU. I've lived in Germany, France, Spain and Cyprus where wonky produce is 'normal' and not gimmicky at all lol

It may not be everyone's cup of tea on a gossip site but it makes a nice change discussing politics (hoping it doesn't get too heated?).

We don't really know where Corbyn stands, isn't he more for a general election than a second referendum? I could be wrong, though. I heard he was against joining the EEC back in the 70s but his reasons were more anti-capitalist back then, it could be very different now with the emphasis on workers' rights and human rights laws.

@Yel- I agree a lot of traditionally Labour-voting people have 'switched over': I wonder if it's also due to Tony Blair and Gordon Brown creating this idea of the global elite we keep hearing about, lol?

Yel

Chatty Member
Unbelievable that a headline today is that MPs might have to forfeit their February break?! Ya think!!?

They should have canceled that 3-4 week Christmas break and just taken 25-1st off, crazy that they went away for so long

Inkling95

The Government are doing this on purpose as they didn't want us to leave. They didn't expect us to be as smart as we are. We voted leave, and that is the only vote that matters. We don't keep voting until they get the answer they want! It is ridiculous.

Btw read about David Icke, he predicted this would happen. They want us all the in the New World Order, and good luck to us if they manage it. One world, one hell. It's already started with the Euro.
No, 17.4mil voted Leave out of a total population of 65.6 mil. “We” didn’t vote for No Deal. “We” voted based on lies. We voted on an opinion referendum, nothing more nothing less. Please educate yourself, as it’s clear you’re not well educated on the legalities or the potential outcomes (all of which leave us poorer than before) of the matter. David Icke is a conspiracy theorist, where in ‘91 he said he was the “Son of Godhead” and the world will be soon consumed by tidal waves and earthquakes. 28 years later and we’re still here...

As for “we don’t keep voting”, then what’s a general election every four years?

MunkyMagic

Wow. That was close... only 4 votes between leaving No Deal on the table and not. Did not expect that.

• Wow