Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

secretalphabets

I just caught up with this thread and saw Cinzia mentioned a few pages ago. There was something really weird a few years ago and I always wondered whether anyone else picked up on it. She was friends with the "UK clique" for a while, Jen Campbell, Jean, Mercedes, maybe the Laurens? And then she suddenly wasn't. And then at some point she wrote in a blog post that someone had used personal details about her eating disorder in a short story and published it (and then also ghosted her I think?) It could have been anyone but for some reason I immediately thought of Jen, because they were friends, then they weren't, and Jen is a writer. I actually read Jen's short story collection and EDs are mentioned, but of course there's no way of knowing for sure. Obviously it's gross no matter who did it.

• Wow
Reactions: 9

gingerteacup

Chatty Member
I didn’t know this thread existed, but I’m here for it.

I find bethsbookclub very problematic, charging £70 just be a part of it and not even supply the book is a bit criminal in my opinion… I think it’s representative of booktube/bookstagram/booktok more broadly, it’s not very inclusive to all, especially to people on low incomes. The excessive consumption of books and members fees are very exclusionary. I also feel as if just using the library is looked down upon.

• Wow

Abc802

I just checked because I literally don't follow any authors, I have no idea what they're up to. She liked a lot of transphobic tweets. Can't fault Simon for not supporting that.
I just looked this up and it seems the tweets she liked basically are just saying "biological sex is real" and don't contain anything hateful to trans people at all. You can disagree with her but I'd rather people just acknowledge it and then move on, you don't have to throw a fit.

• Heart

Larancia

Out of nowhere but i really miss zoe's content from read by zoe. Her 24h readathon vlogs were very high quality and although the books we read didnt quite match, i liked her vibe. Still inspired me to read more. Also her dad seemed very kind, caring and fun. I hope she comes back.
I tried watching other channels but most booktubers (male/female) speak with very pitched voice or unrealistically high energy as it is a kids tv program and i feel like the high energy drains my energy

DietGossip

VIP Member
I can't get over when BeccaAndTheBooks complains about having such busy/hectic days when she rolls out of bed at 10am and goes to a hair/nail appointment and doesn't actually start "work" (see: reading for youtube or making her candles- which she isn't even doing this month) till the afternoon

• Haha

Abc802

If anyone else is looking for non-YA booktubers I've found the following recently and been enjoying hearing about more contemporary lit, classics, some nonfiction, translated lit, etc:

GK Reads
Rebecca Eats Books
CJ reads
So I read this book
Literary Iggy
Carolyn H Hampsey

It's just another side of booktube that I didn't know existed until recently and matches my reading tastes well so I thought I'd share! (Also would love to discuss any of them if anyone already watches)

• Heart

threeSMEGfridges

VIP Member
There's a calculated side to Jen. I noticed yesterday she was posting about her Patreon "on the first of the month like I always do" (sure it's not to align with people's paydays when they have the most disposable income, Jen?). She likes to remind everyone that her content is free, but not that she earns advertising revenue from it all. We're not idiots - we know she's not making this content out of the goodness of her heart! She loves to get digs in about shielding, sort of shaming people for going back out and living their lives when they don't have an alternative like her.

And I totally understand her wanting to remain isolated as much as possible. But those of us who would prefer to due to medical vulnerablities and can’t either due to work or also because we know we need to live our lives a little - I feel like it’s becoming a point of superiority or holiness almost that she still is inside not doing anything except essential medical appointments.

I went to the cinema for the first time in over 2 years. It was a milestone and I’m not going tofeel ashamed that it wasn’t “essential”. I weighed up the risks and pros and cons- and we went on a usually quieter day/time.

I’ve had Covid-19 after being fully vaxxed+ Boosted and was super unwell for 3-4 weeks and still not right and have picked up a secondary, related illness (not contagious). I wish I could be off sick again but I can’t otherwise I’ll loose my job. It sucks but she now has more privileges than most disabled/CEV folks….

I really feel for her clearly her illness is rare and is becoming worse. Her IVF has been delayed and I think they’re restarting that which may explain the extra caution. I get it but stop acting like you’re better than everyone?

I hope her IVF works out for her. However I do wonder how she’ll manage with a kid if her Covid solution is tonever leave the house again; and the house move seems to be entrenching that ( to have extra space for her and her husband to WFH, a garden etc)

ETA- typos, clarity

Last edited:

Sprezza

VIP Member
I hate how all the british booktubers gush about Jen's books and say they give them 5 stars. Because of course dozens of people with different reading tastes are all going to love and have the same bland opinion, with no critique whatsoever, about the work of someone they just so happen to be friends with 🙄

Chani10

VIP Member
For me, the biggest issue is when it's a channel that clearly has a very young fanbase. If it's adults who want to gift random people stuff...well, up to them.
Also, it really annoys me when they show the wishlists and start talking about how they don't have money to buy those books themselves but then proceed to post a haul with 40 books while showing all the other things they buy. They can spend the money whichever way they want but stop it with the "guys, your girl is broke" :rolleyes: sure, hon. It's not that you want even more free stuff.

DietGossip

VIP Member
I was subscribed to Mercedes' Patreon too and ended up cancelling. I was really looking forward to her book clubs and she ended up cancelling the first one because she was unwell with her arm pain (can't remember the name of the actual condition) which is totally fair enough, but maybe not the time to start a book club then? I just wish they'd respect us a bit more when we're paying for a monthly service!
I find it so weird when Booktubers hide things like a book club behind a paywall- I could probably go find a free one that's local to me and not have to pay or set one up myself with friends, so why should I be paying them for essentially just saying "we're going to all read this together". I feel the same about youtubers who have discords only for those who pay them. I feel weird about it, like they're monetising access to themselves.

bunnyblue

Simon’s posted on Twitter that he had a dream that he was judging a certain book prize and that “maybe it’s a sign”
:rolleyes::mad:🤬 (There aren’t enough pissed off emojis :LOL: )
I really don’t understand how Simon in particular has had so many job opportunities out of being a booktuber, it’s not as though he has a massive following or impressive views (not that UK booktubers in general get tons of views)?
And the time when I was subscribed I don’t remember thinking of him as really charismatic or engaging, more that he would rush through his thoughts and ramble and go on tangents. But maybe he’s gotten better in the time I’ve not watched?

Reactions: 8

secretalphabets

Dude like 80% of historical fiction is heartwarming exploitation of the Holocaust so when are we cancelling that whole genre?

I bet some of those people literally found out about residential schools last week when it was all over the news.

Hobbitsies

I have been on a bit of a book tube binge today and Jesus the amount these people mention their wishlist but in the same breath say no need to get me anything or your views are enough etc. THEN DON’T POST THE LIST.

Your viewers are mostly young stop scrounging off of them. Honestly they can play it anyway they want to me it is just plain greedy.

LittlePaw

I always thought the problem booktubers had with PewDiePie was more about his association with Nazi and alt-right tendencies and usage of a racial slur and how they didn’t want booktube associated with that, rather than “jealousy”. A lot of people acknowledged that it was good if people wanted to read more, but they’d wished it had come from a better source and worried that his audience would turn to other booktubers, “mainstream” or otherwise, and perhaps start some “drama” there as well.

silkytoes

I do feel for Jen because her health is clearly deteriorating. I can see why she feels the need to talk about her disabilities a lot because she's having to deal with a lot of changes and come to terms with what they mean plus her disabilities are a bit more visible so she gets lots of messages or questions about them. I'm glad she does talk about the issues she faces publicly and brings awareness to what it's like to live with her disabilities.

It's hard to comment on the messages she sent above without knowing exactly what was said to her and how she replied, perhaps the messages you sent crossed a line and made her feel like she needed to defend herself, however this isn't the first time I've heard of her being rude to people. I've heard the stories of her blocking people for the reviews they left as well which is a shame and does make me nervous of reviewing her content on Goodreads as someone who's a fan of her channel.

LydiaDeetzHat

VIP Member
I'm very against people who are making money and getting free stuff gifted to them by publishers basically asking their viewers to send them more free things.
and the ones who have Patreon accounts who have many many paid gigs and other forms of income.. I'm looking at you Jen Campbell and Simon Savidge . Please don't be asking us to pay your bills when you are way better off than most people. I do support an artist on Patreon who does do YT but until recently she lived with her parents who had a VERY low level of income and uses her art to assist them and support herself through daily life including a serious bout of family Covid. You know to actually put food on the table and pay rent etc..

Abc802

I was sort of baffled by her choices around the move. They couldn't find movers who would agree to mask, so they did it themselves and she's in lots of pain etc from the physical labor. Seems like she put herself through more harm than necessary? She couldn't have just stayed somewhere else while the movers were there and then left the windows open for a few hours before she went back in? At this point in the pandemic it just seemed either irrational or ideological rather than like reasonable precaution.

Nelliephant

It's a situation where I feel sorry for the animal more so than the person. When situations occur I can only hope that they get the money to save their animal, obviously we're all human and we want them to be ok.

However is frustrating that people allow it to get to this point where they expect other to foot the bill for their emergencies. If you can't afford decent pet insurance you cannot afford a pet. Having a pet is a luxury, not a necessity.

As a general point with anything, if you couldn't afford and deal with anything happening, get it insured. Especially when the amount doesn't have a cap to it.
So here pets can cost A LOT of things go wrong, the amount is almost unlimited, so for the vast majority of people they can't afford to self insure. However say for a top of the range laptop breaking there is a cap to the cost, the price of a replacement, so if you think you can afford to take that risk, then don't get it insured. Just don't ask other people to pay if something happens.
(I changed my example to top of the range laptop, as a basic laptop is an essential these days and not all low income people can afford insurance or a replacement, but as I said before a pet is not a necessity)