Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

TheTinyHuman

Chloe Reads Books travalled from the US to UK knowing that she'd been around her LDR partner Cole who had Covid?? Am I the only one who finds that so incredibly irresponsible? She now has Covid

Also hints that maybe he's anti vax?
Love really is blind. He is not my kind.

LydiaDeetzHat

VIP Member
I completely get this tbh. During lockdown I subscribed to Leena Norms and Tiffany Ferguson, both on the lowest perk level (think Leena's is about £1.50/month, Tiffany's is about £3 I think?). I unsubbed from Tiffany because the perks were shit - her patreon discord server was dead and the "monthly" livestreams were more like once every two months. I felt like I was being taken the piss out of and although I enjoy her content, the videos I enjoy seeing aren't produced often enough to compensate the lack of perks. Leena I've kept up with and will do for the long term because she produces a lot for it - early access, podcasts and a Facebook group which is really active. I'm def willing to pay the price of a McFlurry per month just for the group tbh.
Not a salesman or promoter for either Patreon or Leena btw - I don't get it either when people have loads of people they sub to and get really invested in paying them money when YT is already monetised - just wanted to tell you what I get out of it as someone who largely agrees with you!
I looked at Leena tbh in order to get access to her wardrobe swop group but what I found with her was a rip off. its not £1.50 a month.. its that every time she creates a video with no flat fee per month option.. if she decided to do vlogmas you'd be up to £25 or 30 quid just for one month

YES YT is monitised but it's not coming out of my personal pocket .. so...

blossombloss

Chatty Member
All the backlash on Gavin for his worst of the year list is so awful. He’s such an advocate for children’s books and boosts books so much. He posts a few of his least fave of the year as everyone does and he’s gotten so much shit from authors who are nothing to do with it. Apparently it’s been ‘a tough year for writers’. Yeah it’s been a tough year for everyone that’s got nothing to do with it. Negative reviews are important and booktube is for readers. People really showing their asses over this.
I was astounded at that, luckily so many people rallied around saying these authors were being ridiculous.

mindlessness

VIP Member
Hiiiii I just realised this thread existed!

So I know this is super old news but Gavin is one of the few booktubers you guys mentioned that I actually watch 😂 pretty sure the drama he has/had is with Richie, I’ve never watched him but found this tweet which was right around the time Gav announced Believathon 3
I don't entirely disagree with the tweet :LOL: Obviously I also get wanting to make some money too. Has Gavin been subtweeting about it?

Oh also! Do you have any booktubers you'd recommend?

Kitt

VIP Member
I’ve just caught up on the Rachael Marie stuff on twitter from a couple of days ago. Never liked her but wow she’s fucked up.

Kitt

VIP Member
Hello!! I want to talk to other ppl about book tube. There is new drama with Rory Power who participated in a group chat with other writers that made fun of poc writers. I'm waiting for booksandlala to see if she will say something. She is very 'woke' and a huge fan of Rory
oh man, do you have any screenshots of this?

queequeg19

I thought that as well. She said a lot of them have been sent by publishers- do they not think to say no to some of them? I'd be so annoyed if a publisher was sending me a bunch of middle grade books
Some publishers just send books out in the hope they are mentioned. They don't care as they don't cost a lot to produce a proof. I've been sent unsolicited books before and just thanked them on social media for it. Not much can be done after it arrives

littlemissgem

Have you looked at RGsDevilship's videos? I watched her way back but her most recent upload is from two months ago, so she seema to be semi-active still. When I watched her, she stood put as one of the youtubers actually reading no-YA, and her choices tended to include darker themes.
I haven't. Thanks.

I was about to mention her she does read a lot of crime fiction but not horror as far as I know
I think that might have been an account I'd seen and then couldn't remember the name of so never found again. Thanks.

audiobooks

Welp I guess time to migrate here while GG tries to fix itself yet again.

Self pub author and booktuber Faith Lane exposed herself as homophobe in now-deleted tweets. She has then retweeted "I feel like much of the world has lost the ability to engage in civil discourse. Which is sad because I really do want to talk to people with different views than my own." Which is a tweet by another homophobic person.

faithlane.png

cassidyreads exposed for refusing to post about BLM, blocking & subtweeting the person who asked, and then posting a blackout pic today in an obvious performative gesture.

Apparently cassidyreads was also crying on instagram live about it lol.

Pinkii

VIP Member
Who are some good booktubers to follow and aren’t about 12.

I find most booktubers I come across read the same boring books as each other

littlemissgem

Noelle reads a fair bit of horror - https://www.youtube.com/c/NoelleGallagher
Paperback dreams does too - https://www.youtube.com/c/paperbackdreams
Emmie recently made a fun video where she tried to solve an Agatha Christie as she read it, a few others have also done similar videos since - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMFSTAyvpl_yBXmq6JPfhBQ

Overall I I have definitely found that Instagram is a more reliable place than YT to find people who read crime/horror or adult fiction in general though.
I absolutely love Noelle.

DietGossip

VIP Member
It's honestly shocking to me how many adults including authors refuse to read adult fiction and overly brag about only reading YA and MG. Like the only adult books they'll read are ones that have crossover appeal like The Year of the Witching or Ninth House. Booktubers have a bad habit of either calling the adult books like they new adult(which is a category that traditional publishing doesn't even recognize) or YA. And women authors already have a problem with people not taking their fantasy work serious and dubbing it YA even when the characters are mid to late 20s.
Then you go on Goodreads and it's been shelved as both YA and Adult and you get confused as to what category it actually is!!

DietGossip

VIP Member
Did anyone see this video?

I really like Caz from cats and cameras and she has a whole spreadsheet of queer books. I think books and bargains reads queer books aswell, although I think mostly YA but theres been a few Ive not heard of before
Thank you this is really helpful!