Books #45

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
In the previous thread someone posted their GR bookmark choices and said something like "Hispanic and this one covers....." another category. I can't find that post or find a crossover book and an art the stage where my eyes are aching from longing.

Please could you tell me?!
Was it me ? I picked The Bewitching by Silvia Moreno Garcia for Hispanic heritage and it also is a selection for the Spellbound bookmark.

Edited to add - Oops I answered this before I saw other posters haha
 
  • Like
Reactions: 2
It's why I love musicmagpie and world of books and charity shops so much. They are so cheap I can indulge in the buying books hobby so much more.
We do table-tops where we sell our (mainly my) books on the stall and we sell them for 30p each, but 4 for £1 if I sell books that are part of a series i.e. say the books are part of a 4 book series then that will be £1 as they are 25p each.
 
Been in the biggest slump took me AGESS to get through Calamity club.

it started off SO strong, I would have said it would deffo be a 5 start read but MY GOD did the book drag in the middle! It was sooo unnecessarily long. Author could have cut out about 200 pages of that story

and the ending felt a bit anticlimactic.

3.5 stars from me and that’s only cause of the strong start.
 
  • Like
  • Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 7
Been in the biggest slump took me AGESS to get through Calamity club.

it started off SO strong, I would have said it would deffo be a 5 start read but MY GOD did the book drag in the middle! It was sooo unnecessarily long. Author could have cut out about 200 pages of that story

and the ending felt a bit anticlimactic.

3.5 stars from me and that’s only cause of the strong start.
I've read a few books lately where I've got part way in, realised it was 500ish pages and thought "This doesn't seem like a story that can sustain 500 pages"...and I've been completely correct.

And I love a long book! Lonesome Dove, Shogun, Cryptonomicon, Kavalier & Clay....
 
  • Like
Reactions: 7
Human Traces by Sebastian Faulks is a great novel but long and requires a lot of concentration.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1
I am buying East of Eden on today's daily deals due to the love for it on here but do I need to buy The Other Bennett Sister as well or is the tv programme better?!?
 
  • Like
Reactions: 5
I've read a few books lately where I've got part way in, realised it was 500ish pages and thought "This doesn't seem like a story that can sustain 500 pages"...and I've been completely correct.

And I love a long book! Lonesome Dove, Shogun, Cryptonomicon, Kavalier & Clay....
It’s a shame, because I genuinely love nothing more than a good chunky book to get into but it needs to be adding to the story.

would say for anyone who does want to read Calamity club, deffo do the audiobook instead. I did 50-50 and enjoyed the audio bits much more!
 
  • Like
Reactions: 5
I am buying East of Eden on today's daily deals due to the love for it on here but do I need to buy The Other Bennett Sister as well or is the tv programme better?!?
I abandoned TOBS about 10% in (but then my least favourite part of the tv show is the beginning too)
 
I abandoned TOBS about 10% in (but then my least favourite part of the tv show is the beginning too)
maybe I’ll leave it and spend my 99p on my wish list instead

I’ve started listening to the rest is history and their episode on Agatha Christie is really interesting - I know there’s lots of fans on here
 
  • Like
Reactions: 4
I am buying East of Eden on today's daily deals due to the love for it on here but do I need to buy The Other Bennett Sister as well or is the tv programme better?!?
Having read/listened to The Other Bennett Sister 3 times this year I would say the book wipes the floor with the TV production.
I thought the TV production was good until I read the book and now I hate the TV production. They should have stuck to the book.
 
@Seaside Girl2 I found the Shari Low book One Day at a Time in a charity shop this morning so I got it. I will let you know what I think of it when I read it.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1
Had a day at The British Library again yesterday and thought I’d take a pic of the Agatha Christie Display in the shop as it was very quiet.
The books have clearly been very popular as there were only about 5 left (that lovely copy of And Then There Were None was nowhere to be seen). hopefully they’ve got a lot more coming in as I was a little bit disappointed at there being virtually no selection to buy compared to two weeks ago when it was full.
1000050207.jpeg


I read The Cinnamon Bun Bookstore by Laurie Gilmore yesterday. Disappointingly summery considering the title and the picture on the front of trees with autumn Leaves. A complete sugar book, shallow as a puddle during a heatwave and could have cut at least a third if the two main characters had had a conversation but a quick read with a few redeemable parts. The part that irked me the most was the description of the town being different to the map at the front of the book. No you did not walk past the cafe and bakery on your way home from the pub because they are in the complete opposite direction, unless you were so drunk you started off by going the wrong way ffs. I will not be reading any more of that ‘series’.
 
  • Like
  • Heart
Reactions: 15
I don't understand why everyone keeps hyping 'The Count of Monte Cristo.' For a book about revenge, I found it incredibly boring and the scenarios were comically improbable. It was such a let down because I usually love long classic books.
 
  • Wow
Reactions: 5
Those of you who buy from charity shops - I volunteer for Oxfam and we were told to put our prices up to £1.99 for a paperback. Does this seem reasonable to you? I don’t buy physical books but this seems a lot to me?
If it was like almost brand new condition I would pay that but if it's yellow edges and well used and super cracked spine I wouldn't.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 3
I read The Cinnamon Bun Bookstore by Laurie Gilmore yesterday. Disappointingly summery considering the title and the picture on the front of trees with autumn Leaves. A complete sugar book, shallow as a puddle during a heatwave and could have cut at least a third if the two main characters had had a conversation but a quick read with a few redeemable parts. The part that irked me the most was the description of the town being different to the map at the front of the book. No you did not walk past the cafe and bakery on your way home from the pub because they are in the complete opposite direction, unless you were so drunk you started off by going the wrong way ffs. I will not be reading any more of that ‘series’.
I volunteer for a charity. I don't look after the book side but there's always a list posted up of the most in demand books and this was on the most recent one, but I'd never heard of it.

Is it a BookTok thing?
 
  • Like
Reactions: 2
I am buying East of Eden on today's daily deals due to the love for it on here but do I need to buy The Other Bennett Sister as well or is the tv programme better?!?
The Other Bennett Sister, I enjoyed the book overall but found the start where everyone bullies her went on for ages, whereas the show eased in some beacons of hope a little bit earlier. Definitely worth a read but I think I liked the show a lot better.
 
  • Wow
Reactions: 1
Fellow readers I’m back! I’ve just finished The Will of the Many and am BLOWN AWAY. I wasn’t sure at first as I found the start confusing as it builds but…I absolutely adored it. I get the hype.
 
  • Heart
  • Like
Reactions: 9
Fellow readers I’m back! I’ve just finished The Will of the Many and am BLOWN AWAY. I wasn’t sure at first as I found the start confusing as it builds but…I absolutely adored it. I get the hype.
Delighted that you loved it and that we didn't all over hype it so much that it couldn't live up to expectations. ❤❤❤
 
  • Heart
  • Like
Reactions: 3
I don't understand why everyone keeps hyping 'The Count of Monte Cristo.' For a book about revenge, I found it incredibly boring and the scenarios were comically improbable. It was such a let down because I usually love long classic books.
Are you new to this thread? It’s a favourite on here. You’ll be saying you hate The Will of the Many next :ROFLMAO:

All jokes aside it’s always good to have differing opinions otherwise we’re all typing in an echo chamber.

Just don’t ask about Where the Crawdads Sing.
 
  • Haha
  • Like
Reactions: 11