Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Caffeine Fiend

VIP Member
So Ive only had 6 ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ reads this year which is somewhat depressing but anyway.

1. Remarkably Bright Creatures - Shelby Van Pelt
2. Ordinary Human Failings - Megan Nolan
3 . Cleopatra and Frankenstein - Coco Mellers
4. And Every Morning The Way Home Gets Longer and Longer - Fredrick Backman
5. Happy Place - Emily Henry

Reactions: 14

slugella

VIP Member
I have been hiding from the thread as I'm having a failure of a reading time 😭

It's been a bad reading year for me. A mix of mental health exhaustion and choosing average books! It's been soooo long since I read one that I loved couldn't put down, and meh books always slows me down.

I have Fourth Wing on reserve from the library though after all the love for it here! 🤞

• Heart
Reactions: 14

Carapop

VIP Member
i’m so so so glad to see you back cara, have been thinking of you 💙💙
Ah thank you darling. This is the only thread here I have been following this month, but in total lurker mode. 🕵🏻‍♀️
---
So glad you’re back Cara! I noticed you hadn’t posted in a while so was wondering if you were ok. Hope you’re feeling better and the reading mojo is back with you soon. Fingers crossed for some good deals tomorrow!
I can only assume that it’s the fault of my hundreds of unreads in my kindle failing to grab me. I just need to find the right book!!! Thanks for such a lovely message. Nice and unexpected to be missed!

• Heart
Reactions: 13

lokp0009

VIP Member
I just finished Fourth Wing and oh my god was it worth the hype!! I never buy books as I always get them from the library or wait until they’re 99p but I’ve had to pre-order the sequel!

• Heart

SaintLeo

VIP Member
I think for next year I might try to track pages read instead of books, seems like a better measure of whether I'm actually reading more or not...and it might encourage me to pick up long books.
That’s what I decided to do this year for the same reason. I had loads of books on my Kindle that I just kept ignoring because they felt too long. So far this year I’ve read 10 books of 500 pages or more (and some way more than 500!) which I would never have done previously.

Agree that StoryGraph has been great for this. Really encouraging to see that the number of pages read doesn’t always correlate to the number of books.

Chocolategoggler

VIP Member
I know we don't usually have titles but I loved it and there are no rules here. Thread title suggested by @LaBlonde and @StephenTJackson.

Happy Reading ☺ we are into the final 3 months of the year. Thought we could maybe discuss where we are with our targets (if you set one)
Jayzus!!!!! I've just checked my library account and I'm up to 152!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!😲😲😲
Must be about 160 with others I've read.....
#bookaholic

• Wow
  • Heart

AlwaysSummer

A lurker here- I’ve made a conscious effort to read more this year and my top 5 books are:

The Paper Palace
Talking at Night
Send Nudes
Girl, Woman, Other
The Marriage Portait.

Caffeine Fiend

VIP Member
After reading his book I am not shocked in the slightest.

May he find the peace in death, he could never find in life :(

• Heart
  • Sad

PiesAndLattes

VIP Member
My fave time of the month! I love seeing what everyone read and adding to the never ending TBR.

Here are my reads. I had a good month with 8 books! My favourite was The Leftover Woman

IMG_2202.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 12

ordinaryjelly

VIP Member
Interesting to read the hated books. I couldn't agree more with The Midnight Library. Matt Haig does not deserve to be called an author. That is probably up there in my most hated books too.

I'll throw into the mix Dan Brown and the blasted Da Vinci Code and Sophie Kinsella and her eleventy bazillion Shopaholic books.

• Heart

LaBlonde

VIP Member
Has Pretending been talked about? Anyone read it? It was a contender for one of my bookclubs, but didn't win. I read it last week though as it's on the Kindle Nov deals.

I can't stop thinking about it and finding it difficult to get into my current book. It's been a while since a book has done this to me as the majority of my recent reads have been so meh.
*kicks door open*

*SCREAMS*

yes april i have read it. the shortened version is that i thought it was a great idea but there were so many ways i thought she could have improved it or just really stuck the landing. some of her plot choices were incredible, some not so much. and i thought her final plot decision betrayed the point. but it is a book that generates so much worthy discussion.

(i’m being called out here because i was banned from a FB lockdown bookclub because of my strength of feeling about it 🤣)

• Haha

Big_Summer_Blowout

Chatty Member
My Top 5 for the year (so far... approx 30 more books TBR before now and Dec 31st)

1. The Leftover Woman
2. Pachinko
3. None of This is True
4. Ready Player One
5. A Woman Is No Man

Tofino

VIP Member
Isn’t it? I’ve been waiting to show it off all month 🥰👻

I use insta stories to upload the images into the spaces, then just save them. If you search my posts on here and “insta template” I’ve explained in more detail before so hopefully that’ll help 🧡
Oh brill thank you, I’ll have a look for your post. They are very cute!
---
I did it, woo! I’m really proud of myself for finishing six books in one month. My most successful year since using Goodreads was 8 books in 2015 so this is already my best year yet (as I’ve got two in September). Just hope I can keep it up.

My favourite October read was The Simple Wild followed by The Hike. My least favourite was probably Marshmallows for Breakfast

2CC92147-96ED-4C58-A8FE-A22C9BF23FFC.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Heart

ToxicPony

Chatty Member
My target for the year is 253 and I'm currently on 221.

Top 10 so far (I theme the period between Christmas and New Year as 'books I think I'll love' so this often changes last minute):

A Man Called Ove
A Fate of Wrath and Flame
Lonely Castle in the Mirror
Project Hail Mary
The Nickel Boys
His Bloody Project
To Be Taught, If Fortunate
This One Sky Day
Crown of Midnight
The Ex Talk

This was difficult, ha.

• Wow

chickhicks86

VIP Member
My top 5 so far of 2023

Project Hail Mary - just :love:
The Winners - loved more than Beartown, soz
The People on Platform 5 - just cosy and cute, not too heavy
Demon Copperhead - a slow starter, but couldn't put it down towards the end
Remarkably Bright Creatures - such a random concept that just worked so well

After seeing it on someone's top 5 upthread, I've just borrowed The Lovely Bones for my next read - it's been on my TBR for ages.

CoffeeMamma

VIP Member
We love all genres here! Someone's favourite is another's hell (cough Where the Crawdads sing)

What sort of thing have you been enjoying?
I just finished The Christmas Escape by Sarah Morgan- which was a lovely fluffy romance, then The Couple at Number 9, which was an incredible page turner by Clare Douglas- first book in ages where I didn't see the twists!
I do not like Where the Crawdads Sing 🙈 I tend to not like the stuff that is "Booktok" famous, but that's probably my Literature degree talking!

• Heart