Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

eucalyptus

I don't know how many people follow the Niomi Smart thread but I was imagining Quinn as Joe Woodward for most of the book and then the chapter where he's in India with a vapid girlfriend obsessed with taking photos of herself was just *chefs kiss*

• Haha
Reactions: 9

Raker

VIP Member
Glad I’ve read something out of my preferred genre (waves to the other crime/police/gore fans), but I found it a bit of a chore to get into although it was definitely an easy book to read. It had a light tone, but totally agree
with the plot holes re the failing business and the character transformations. Couldn’t bear Mr “Puns R Us” Greg, and wasn’t keen on the wacky best friend either. At the beginning I was sure Minnie was going to spend NYE locked in Quinn’s BDSM room of pain, there was a definite 50 Shades mysterious, brooding but wounded, handsome man cookie cutter vibe about him for large chunks of the book...

I also think you could definitely tell the author has a TV background as it was very “visual” at the expense of character development/ plotting. Mind you if this was on Netflix I would totally watch it — can just picture all the locations being used to their full advantage!

I think i gave it 3* on good reads.
Really looking forward to the next choice!

• Haha
Reactions: 8
I didn't love it. I read a lot of cheesy chick flick books and this one didn't really seems to have the same vibe as others I have read, it has been mentioned before but I feel like it was written by an older person trying to get into the mindset of a younger woman.
There were a lot of lost opportunities in my opinion, I guess it was down to us as a reader to make the connections that Minnie and Quinn had many crossed paths moments in their life but as neither of them knew about them (apart from the kiss) I didn't feel like there was as much significant at the end when they got together. Also a bus driver changing his whole route on New Years Eve to help her get to the docks? I highly doubt a London bus driver would even entertain the idea.
For me there was not enough warmth, I didn't really like any of the characters and it felt rushed. BUT I did enjoy an escape from life as we know it to think back to a time of being in London without a mask or any social distancing.

6/10

It's a light easy going read and a nice distraction from real life!

Minnie is described as this quirky clumsy unlucky girl who gets herself into bizarre situations, so I thought we would get some laugh out loud moments, a bit like nick spalding books as I enjoy those, but I didn't get much emotion from this book.

I wasn't invested in the main characters at all really, it was nice that everyone had a positive character arc, but my god aren't Minnie and Quinn the most bland people ever?! Their whole relationship was just will they won't they, and oh Quinn thinks he's a troubled soul who keeps blowing hot and cold. There was no interesting twist at the end, I hadn't realised that the big reveal was that they has previously kissed as teenagers when Minnie was blonde!

I really liked Tara and Connie becoming friends, even if it seemed a bit far fetched how all of a sudden Connie had a personality transplant from a bit of gardening, no therapy needed.

It was interesting to read about how someone's severe anxiety/agoraphobia affects those around you, I thought it was dealt with in a sensitive way and it made me think and reflect about how my own anxiety impacts my partner on its worst days.

Also, why did her dad let her business fold before giving her money from selling the clocks??

Overall it was nice, but nice is a bit of an empty way to describe something, but I literally can't think of anytbing else to describe it 😂 it's nice. Sweet? And a bit cringey. A good holiday read.

Fenella

Chatty Member
I’m so far behind that I’m sure all my comments will have been already said but anyway...

I did enjoy this book, I read it all today so it obviously kept my interest somewhat but I wasn’t sure about main characters. I know that you don’t have to like everyone in a book and people are flawed.

I found Minnie quite self centred- at the fashion show when Leila was trying to watch and she spent the whole time just chatting about Quinn, I know a best friend would listen and be interested but that bit just annoyed me!

And I know that books don’t have to be realistic but the bus driver bit was just to much of a ‘jump the shark’ moment for me.

But on the whole I did like it and the way they’d met each other throughout life (see, I do like some unbelievableness!).

Itsalwayssunny

Reminds me of the Christmas themed books I normally stock up on in late December. If it was a film it would be a Netflix/Hallmark cheesy film. Not something I would choose all the time but good for when I am reading it.
Very easy read, very predictable, a bit like a mug of hot chocolate in front of a roaring fire.

I didnt actually mind the jumping around, I think I actually prefer that than a book that just runs chronologically.

The Greg character was atrocious, no sane woman would have remained friends with him once they had kicked him to the kerb

I wonder if the mental health aspects could have been covered more without it taking away from the essence of the story more

Yel

Chatty Member
40 pies a day
That was probably more far fetched than all the times they crossed paths. 5 employees, a van and east London 2020 rent prices + business rates and even with funding that business isn't going to ever get a loan to get off the ground. They were driving and dropping off a couple of pies at each place 😆

Casting Quin would be easy - handsome and vacant

• Haha

50sGirl

VIP Member
As you’ve all said, it was a nice easy read to get us started.
Like Minnie, I hate New Year’s Eve/Day so I totally empathised with that!
It did have the predictable ending but I wish they’d revealed all their previous new year coincidences rather than just the youth club kiss.
At one point I thought one coincidence was going to be revealed when Minnie was doing her presentation to Lucy and a photo of Leila and the mangy mutt in India mistakenly was shown on the screen. I thought Lucy would remember it was the same dog that Quinn befriended but no, nothing was said so that scene was kind of pointless.

HoGi

VIP Member
One thing which makes me go "meh" about the book is simply the fact that it was obviously written In advance of last year happening, and so it felt odd to read about all the things they were doing when we know it simply couldn’t have happened. I wondered more than once why the author didn’t write it ENDING at new year 2019/20 instead of starting thee and writing in to the future
I totally agree. This was my biggest bug bear with this book. Every 2020 chapter just reminded me that it was made up because of everything that's going on. It meant I couldn't get lost in the book like I normally would. I appreciate the author did a note to say its an alternate world because of covid but it pissed me off.

I think it was as strange thing to set a book in the near future in the real world anyway. I don't mind sci-fi books set in 2040 or whatever as they are sci-fi and unrealistic anyway. But I just think it always had the risk of being out of touch with reality as covid has shown. But had covid not happened any number of things might have happened in 2020 that would have made a book set in London in 2020 look out of touch

Overall the book reaffirmed why I hate modern romantic fiction, the format is generally the same and always a happy ending.

Reactions: 7

Dexy

VIP Member
I did enjoy the book, a very easy read. All the way through I kept being reminded of films I'd watched in the past so I think it would stand on its feet better as a film rather than a book. I felt as if the author is a big fan of Bridget Jones/Notting Hill/Hampstead/Friends for instance and had once been told the slip of a story which she'd fleshed out into a full book. Someone mentioned how they didn't understand why it was mentioned that Lelia didn't remember the conversation when they were 15 years old about her perfect proposal. I think this was due to the fact that Leila as a character was light and fluffy, and words just brushed off her. However, Minnie took everything that was said to heart and analysed everything (I saw a lot of myself in her which was a bit annoying) so it was likely Minnie would remember that conversation verbatim and Leila would not.

Their business approach annoyed the heck out of me, I couldn't figure out how they were affording rent, overheads, staff, etc on such a small turnover of pies, plus they were selling them to the needy, at what price for goodness sakes? The name of the business! Just kept picturing tooth fillings being removed from pies (I'm an artist, so a weird imagination comes with the territory).
Characters - Connie (reminded me of a friendlier version of my Mum)
Dad - blimey, nice but, why the hell didn't you step up earlier, why wait until it conveniently fit the plot?
Greg - Argh, I was convinced he was going to end up in a relationship with Clive
Leila - Have had friends like Leila in the past, they always seem to do well whatever life throws at them, even when their wedding was flooded out someone (Minnie and Fleur) stepped up and sorted it for her. (God, I sound bitter here! LOL, very Connie!)
Fleur - I loved this character most of all I think, I would cast Lisa Kudrow as her, she fits that Phoebe character.
Bev - felt she was the one everyone kind of felt sad for, her sadness kind of crept out of the book for me, I kept wanting to give her a metaphorical kick up the arse.
Alan - more could have been made of him maybe, there were hints of his past life, but nothing more.
Minnie - Nice but too much like Bridget Jones in my mind. There were so many coincidences in this book, more than seemed normal to be honest. Some of the clothing issues were too like scenes in Bridget Jones.
Quinn, I swung between liking him, feeling sorry for him, wanting to punch him. I could totally see a young Hugh Grant playing that role. It's been done to death already I know, but I feel this storyline has been done to death too.
Tara, a believable character, I could see this being true. Who to play her, Megan Markle maybe, just for fun LOL

I have a feeling that there might be a sequel to this! What would it be called I wonder?

PS, I can't help wondering about the amount of mileage she got out of a simple name, Minnie Cooper, who in their right mind as a parent doesn't consider how a first name might sit with a surname when naming their child? I don't believe it didn't occur to them at all, that was almost more unbelievable than their first business model.
I went to school with an Emma Dale so it was believable to me. 😂

• Haha

Definitelyme

VIP Member
I agree with what others have mentioned about the first half of the book being slow, and second part seeming to whizz in. It definitely took a while to warm up, then it all seemed to happen at once - it could have been more gradually done IMO.

I likes how the whole of Minnie's family evolved during the book. I think that while the mum's transformation seemed sudden, if her friendship with Tara had been ongoing for a while before Minnie knew, then perhaps it was a longer process than it seemed? And the dad selling his clocks for his family was very sweet - a lovely family man.

Quinn was the absolute typical romance novel male lead. Wounded and scared to commit, until the female protagonist makes him see love clearly. All very cliche BUT absolutely the type of book I read, so I can’t complain!

meanwhile the character of Greg was so much made out to be a selfish, horrible guy. I thought it went a bit far with that, he could have been a regular guy she just realised wasn’t for her. And the whole book filled with ridiculous puns was a bit OTT I thought.

One thing which makes me go "meh" about the book is simply the fact that it was obviously written In advance of last year happening, and so it felt odd to read about all the things they were doing when we know it simply couldn’t have happened. I wondered more than once why the author didn’t write it ENDING at new year 2019/20 instead of starting thee and writing in to the future.

Overall, a good little read, probably a 6/10.

50sGirl

VIP Member
Also, there is no way the first baby born in 1990 would win £50k.
The first baby of 2000, perhaps but not 1990. (But obviously that wouldn’t fit the ages of the characters)

Dexy

VIP Member
took me longer than I care to admit to figure out that it was them two kissing cause it's not mentioned in Minnie's flashback at all. We only know she was there cause she mentions throwing up there once
Yes. That and them both petting the same dog in India. Assuming it was just meant to be romantic their paths had crossed before ? Didn’t really see the significance of it myself.

prinnygrace

VIP Member
I found it a fun easy read. I was hoping Minnie would stay single. Quinn had way too many issues for my liking! I liked this little note at the end! "Books free us from isolation"
I don’t know why the one player stuff gets me so emotional 😭 I think lockdown is getting to me😅

at-the-disco

Chatty Member
i found this book extremely cringey 😅 but the writer is amazing! i vividly could picture every scene, and it made me feel so much comfort. in fact it makes me want to live in london! definite me beforeyou vibes. overall i enjoyed it but i am an avid thriller/mystery reader so it was very different for me.

greg is my worst nightmare in a man. why did she even begin to date him. the puns, urgh

50sGirl

VIP Member
took me longer than I care to admit to figure out that it was them two kissing cause it's not mentioned in Minnie's flashback at all. We only know she was there cause she mentions throwing up there once
I thought there was a bit about her dying her hair blonde before going off to youth club?

Busterboo

Chatty Member
Ok, so not my usual genre but a nice easy read with some sentimental and heart warming touches.
I agree it was choppy... all the jumps in 2020, were they needed and so sporadically too?!?! May have been better to jump to major days/dates etc.
I can see what the author was getting at with all the flashbacks - this idea of they are ‘star crossed lovers’ and if you’re meant to be with someone fate will find a way (the birth, chatroom, kiss, India etc) their paths kept crossing until fate put them together - heartwarming and a nice idea.
I too think the whole ‘proposal’ but went on for too long - same with the whole ‘business is failing/no it’s not/yes it is’ thing - I get it is meant to showcase the resilience of Minnie’s character, how she’s a loyal person and depict the way she grows and changes throughout the novel... but still plumps for the guy who was stringing her along all year and has a ridiculous amount of emotional baggage!
I think the essence of the novel is more than just ‘Quinn and Minnie’ but about ALL of the relationships (mother, father, son, daughter, friends, co-workers etc) develop over time.

I too was waiting for the ‘twist’... for me, even though they are heartwarming and nice, I just find these types of books so predictable. I was waiting for the ‘swapped at birth - finding a birth certificate at Tara’s house or something - or at least for the ending to be Minnie on the hill by herself not needing a man but that’s just not what this genre is about! ❤

Definitely agree with the point made about it being written like a screen play - can this this as a tv series or film.

At parts I was getting MAJOR Bridget Jones moments - Bridget as a Bunnie ‘tart’ Minnie as a mermaid and the awkward moment with the man they fancy etc.

Above all, did it take my mind off 2020/2021? (despite the book being ‘set’ in 2020!) YES.
Has it boosted me to get on reading again? YES
Was it easy to read? YES
Would I ‘recommend’ it? Maybe to someone who likes chick lit/romance but otherwise NO.
Did I hate Gregg as a character YES!

Roll on the next book Tattlers!! 🙌🏻

• Heart

twilightgarden

VIP Member
I also COULDN’T STAND the constant reference to the owls in her stomach. Every time it was mentioned I just cringed.
This really annoyed me too! It's like she was trying to be extra and didn't want to just say butterflies like any normal person. I have nothing against owls and do like them btw.

• Haha
Reactions: 6

jharpz

Really enjoyed it and was a nice easy read. Anyone else get a major Me Before You vibe? I wonder was Jojo Moyes an inspiration for Sophie Cousens?
Enjoyed Minnie’s eclectic group of friends and as someone else posted, would like to have read more about Laila. I am a sucker for flashback chapters so they appealed to me greatly.
Hated Greg. Who doesn’t bother to go looking for their girlfriend in a club or send someone to the loos to find them?
Hated Quinn at the beginning but when Tara was introduced post birth story, I knew instantly where his story was going and warmed to him.
First half the story seemed to drag and not flow or something? But the second half felt like a whirlwind.
Overall an enjoyable read and I’ve recommended it to a few friends as a nice easy read.

Ticktickmeh

I really enjoyed it. But I also do like easy reads where i can escape reality for a bit.

Minnie annoyed me a little in the beginning but came good in the end.

Like some of the others have said I too would have liked to seen a bit more development of some of the other characters especially Quinn. While you can read between the lines and come to a conclusion it would have been nice to have been addressed.. I would have also liked to have seen the relationship develop further not just getting together.. like realising they were in India at the same time, the posh restaurant at NYE several years earlier etc.

I know another author (Sophie Ranald) did other books on other characters and they intertwined in a few of her books. This answered alot of questions there and nice to see another side and development of a character. It be nice to see something similar of these characters..