Blood Donation

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I thought I’d start a thread to see how many blood donors there are on here and to maybe encourage people who haven’t donated to consider it.

I started donating in 2005. They stopped my grandma donating cos she was over 70 so I stepped in to take her place.
I found out I was a rare blood group B- which I didn’t know.
I had a couple of fainting episodes, mainly cos I never used to eat or drink enough so I didn’t donate for years and years until they started calling me asking me to donate again as my blood group stock is low.I started again last year and I’ve been donating ever since.

I’ve donated 15 times which I know isn’t mega high but it’s still people I’ve helped. A lots changed since 2005 but my new favourite part is you get a text message when your pint has been used and which hospital it’s gone too and I like that.

Would love to hear other people’s stories :)

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I thought I’d start a thread to see how many blood donors there are on here and to maybe encourage people who haven’t donated to consider it.

I started donating in 2005. They stopped my grandma donating cos she was over 70 so I stepped in to take her place.
I found out I was a rare blood group B- which I didn’t know.
I had a couple of fainting episodes, mainly cos I never used to eat or drink enough so I didn’t donate for years and years until they started calling me asking me to donate again as my blood group stock is low.I started again last year and I’ve been donating ever since.

I’ve donated 15 times which I know isn’t mega high but it’s still people I’ve helped. A lots changed since 2005 but my new favourite part is you get a text message when your pint has been used and which hospital it’s gone too and I like that.

Would love to hear other people’s stories :)
I'm terrified terrified of needles unless you're piercing me or tattooing me but a few years ago in 2018 I braved up and donated for the first time when it was SUPER hot. Wasn't bad until the end when I said I felt a bit faint so they made me lie on the floor but I did get extra juice and biscuits

Done it twice since then (tattoos and piercings have got in the way since!) but plan to go again in September once I'm jabbed up and its been 4 months since I had my last piercing!

My advice to anyone wanting to but afraid is don't look, take a book or something to watch on your phone or if you're me waffle on at the nurses 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I'm terrified terrified of needles unless you're piercing me or tattooing me but a few years ago in 2018 I braved up and donated for the first time when it was SUPER hot. Wasn't bad until the end when I said I felt a bit faint so they made me lie on the floor but I did get extra juice and biscuits

Done it twice since then (tattoos and piercings have got in the way since!) but plan to go again in September once I'm jabbed up and its been 4 months since I had my last piercing!

My advice to anyone wanting to but afraid is don't look, take a book or something to watch on your phone or if you're me waffle on at the nurses 😂
Haha I do exactly the same! I waffle to them about rubbish and stare at my phone all the time. I don’t look at the needle.

Yes they’re very good and caring if you feel unwell aren’t they? I’ve always been well looked after.

I donated tonight and getting my tattoo on Saturday so I’ll try donate again around Christmas time :D

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I’ve had a blood transfusion so they won’t take my blood now, but thank you to those that do, I appreciate it!

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I would absolutely love to be able to. I tried once, failed to give enough in the time limit, and then feinted after the tea and biscuits so I was told I wouldn’t be able to again….

• Heart
I have donated 11 times. The first time was when I was 17, it went very smoothly for me and I enjoyed the snacks at the end 😂 the second and third time I tried, my iron levels were a little too low so I stopped for a few years- at the time I was told that if it happens 3 times in a row you won’t be allowed to donate again, not sure if that’s still the case.
I then started again at uni a couple of years later , donated twice but then my iron levels were too low again so I stopped.
3 years ago, I started donating regularly again until the summer when, surprise surprise, my iron levels were a tiny bit too low again. I have had piercings recently so I can’t give until later this year.

The staff are friendly, attentive and when I’ve seen others become ill/faint after they always seem to be treated with great care (I remember once seeing a girl faint walking towards the snack table- they were so quick to get screens around her). I am a bit weird and like watching the needle go in and the blood bag filling up, and mine seems to go very quickly- I can’t speak from experience but the staff do appear to chat and distract those who are nervous.
( I also think blood donation is a great excuse to eat a lot on the day of donation and in the evening afterwards 😂 )

• Heart
I wish I could but I had a transfusion as a child in the 80s and apparently you cant give blood.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I’ve just done my 10th, my mum was an avid blood donor until medication stop her. I do find it extremely hard to book an appointment, I found it easier up north as they have dedicated centres, down south you have to wait for a day when they come and it get booked quickly, my next one near me is November now.

My mum always used to donate it a bus that would appear in the likes of an Asda or church carpark but can’t say I’ve seen that in years!

• Heart
I have done but not for years and years. I am registered to give blood and I check the appointments every so often but the closest one near me seems to be in November 2021

• Heart
I do it-the snack at the end is the best bit! Surprises me more people don’t do it but possibly just not something they think about. I try not to look in case it makes me feel a bit woozy. I really feel it’s something we should be entitled to time off work for 😂

• Heart
I had my 25th donation last week, only took 11 years to get there. I started giving blood as I got a letter at 17 which guilt tripped me.

It was in the style of a poison pen letter and was along the lines of 'now you're 17, you can give blood.'

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I would love to be able to give blood as I think it is so important. However my veins are practically non existent but I thought I would go and try anyway. They took one look, laughed and said "we aren't that desperate!" 🤣🤣

• Haha
I think people who donate blood are amazing. I feel a bit ashamed really as I’m very squeamish/fearful when it comes to needles and blood, literally feel faint and sick at the thought of giving blood, so have never felt like it was something I’d be able to cope with. Maybe one day.

• Heart
I donated blood from the age of 17 until 22 but after having my children I wasn't able to again. My husband donates regularly, he recently received an award for doing it but he really struggles with getting an appointment!

• Wow
I donated a few times years ago but it was taking me weeks to recover, they always had to double check my iron levels so clearly although I was just about within their parameters those levels weren't right for me. My Son is keen to donate but it's no longer walk in and whenever he has looked there are no appointments anywhere near us. Really annoying as the place they use in my village is a 5 minute walk away.

Reactions: 1
Donating blood is one of those things that i always mean to do but never actually do it.

So thank you for this thread. I'm going to go and look into it

• Heart
Same. We can't donate because of a risk of vCJD. I feel so guilty because I wouldn't be here today if it weren't for donors. I'm B- so THANK YOU SO MUCH @NorrhernGal88 ❤
I’m the same (had a blood donation as a child in the 80s) but I’ve recently found out that there are no such limitations on your stem cells. I’ve recently joined the stem cell register. Search DKMS. It’s a good alternative to ‘giving back’ when you can’t donate blood.

• Heart
I’m the same (had a blood donation as a child in the 80s) but I’ve recently found out that there are no such limitations on your stem cells. I’ve recently joined the stem cell register. Search DKMS. It’s a good alternative to ‘giving back’ when you can’t donate blood.
Oh brilliant! Thanks! I'll definitely sign up for that!

Reactions: 1
I used to donate due to having a rare blood type. One time I fainted after donating and was advised to stop. They said I was underweight 🤷‍♀️ I’d like to get back into it!