Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.
Thanks a lot! Yeah, I believe bad weather will be something very hard to cope with. But in general I think I'll like it more than Spain.

Reactions: 1

Delia Smith

VIP Member
You don't need to drive if you live in London. The transport links are fantastic (though very busy) across the city. Many city centres are not particularly car-friendly anyway and rightly so.
If you live in a rural area then yes, driving is pretty essential IMO.

Reactions: 1

Mustard

VIP Member
Calls to mind the Barry Humphries quote,

"Growing up in Australia was akin to going to the school disco with your Grandmother "
Defines Courtney Adamo’s account now. They even have a beige dog to go with their beige lifestyle.

I like the vast choice of tea available. I have to take various teabags with me when I travel, especially to North America, just so I can have a decent cup of tea.

Last edited:

Riggs

Being able to go for a breakfast and have a beer with it in a local bar/pub and not be judged for drinking at breakfast time is great. As an American the weather is a bit of a downer though I have to say... like Atlantis with all this rain lately. ⛈🚣‍♂️

Hi! I'm a Spanish girl who dreams about moving to England. To be honest, I've never been there, and I don't know many people from England either. What things do you like the most about it? What would you change if you could?

Ha! Your worst thing is my favourite thing! I LOVE the dark nights - in fact I can’t wait for our clocks to change at the end of the month! I live for grey days and I can’t stand the light days or when it gets warm!
I love the dark nights.Makes me feel cosy indoors

In general I'm fine with everything, except the weather. I'm also an in door girl, and, believe it or not, I've never tried alcohol, so I don't care if it's expensive. About the freedom of speech... I reckon that is happening everywhere. Darker times will come, I'm afraid. For those who live in London, I've heard renting a flat is really expensive. I guess living in a town near the city would be easier.

Right, well I was born in London, an haae lived in Somerset and now in Cornwall.

Best bits - I do like the British weather. We do get some lovely sunny days, not as much as you would do in Spain etc but nice for us, we can't cope with as much heat over here. I live our Autumn, crisp cool days, leaves on the floor and the leadup to Christmas. Jan/Feb are abit shitty but spring comes and it's lovely. We get a lovely mix of seasons over here.
We have a big history over here, plenty of places to see and visit, and if you are looking London way you have a crazy amount of attractions and things to do. London is very expensive to live in however.
If you move more west country, there are lovely beaches, country parks and National Trust properties etc.
We make a huge deal about Christmas over here, well we make a huge deal over everything.

Cons
I think (at the time of typing) you can do a food shop cheap, but having relatives in Spain, it would still be more expensive over here. Alcohol is so cheap in Spain, expect to pay ALOT more.
We have our NHS but that's at brink point so I definitely wouldn't rely on coming over here just for that, in Cornwall you cannot get a NHS dentist without being on a waiting list for 2 years etc. But it's still amazing so I'm not slagging it down.
And I do believe you will maybe find it harder getting accepted. I'm from London, a typical English girl and they rejected me down Cornwall for a good few years from being out of county. Even in London, yes there is a wide spread of multicultural beliefs, you will probably (definitely) still get some people reject you unfortunately.
Finally we are inside people. My relatives in Spain are always outdoors, out and about. Over here we spend alot of time indoors so that could be a culture shock to you.

Hope this helps, I love it here, I would never move out! ❤

Mercedes12

VIP Member
I lived abroad for 2 years so had a long time to think about what I love about England 😂

- Primark
- B&M/Home Bargains
- TV dramas and series
- TV in general (reality tv etc)
- Aldi
- sense of humour
- manners!! I live in the North and bloody love how polite and friendly everyone is. letting you go in front of them on escalators, saying good morning, helping people with bags or prams, giving up seats for elderly or pregnant women - this was the 1 thing I missed more than anything and what I love most about Britain

For those of you who live in London, do you have a car? Do you think you can live there without driving? I'm getting my licence now, I don't know if I'll ever be bothered to learn how to drive but the other way around 😅

Horatio

VIP Member
Yes driving in London is expensive and largely uneccesary if you don’t have kids or something. Most boroughs make you pay for residents parking now and there’s also a central London congestion charge anytime you drive through zone 1. But the tube and bus links are so good I guarantee you’d rarely miss having a car.

Talking of prices if you’re under 30 you can get a railcard that gives you a 1/3 off the notoriously expensive train tickets all around the UK. It costs about 30 quid I think ? And lasts a year so usually pays its self off after a few long distance journeys if you’re planning any. ALSO I don’t think its so well known that it can be linked to your Oyster card (London transport pass). I think only at off peak hours but you get 1/3 off the tube (bus is always 1.50).

eSsExBiRd

VIP Member
Litter!

I was in Gdansk last recently and didn’t spot one piece of litter on the roadside when going to the City from the Airport. Compare it to a British roadside where it looks like people just dump their bins as they drive along. Even the city centre was spotless.
Today in town I witnessed grown adults just throwing litter on the street as they walked along. Scumbag 😡