Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.
The best thing has to be a proper Sunday dinner in a proper pub!

Also, winter walks on a beach are one of my favourite things.

The NHS is something that I am eternally grateful for.

The single worst thing in my eyes is our government and politicians.

The weather can be crap but we are British and love to complain about it!
Politicians are the worst everywhere!!

Reactions: 3

PineappleQueen19

VIP Member
@Blueskittle if you do decide to make the move I recommend the book Watching The English by Kate Fox. It is an social anthropological study of English people and their curious, wonderful, unspoken ways. Really helped me when I first moved here.

GossipBug

VIP Member
Worst - the weather and the darkness of winter! I could deal with the cold but detest that we seem to get a short spring, an even shorter summer and then a grey, rainy, dark and dreary autumn/winter for about 8 months of the year. I also think our food can be a little bit bland on the whole but back to my multicultural point above, we are able to import some of the most fantastic recipes, chefs and ingredients. I can’t stand our politicians either but I think that might be the case anywhere!
Our food may be a bit bland but is there anything better after a day in the cold than tucking into some proper English comfort food like a casserole or shepherd's pie?

• Heart

bubbletea123

VIP Member
You may not have thought about this but with Brexit happening, you will likely need a visa to live in the UK. Many friends of mine who already lived in the UK but are from other European countries had to apply for residency.

Tublet83

VIP Member
If you live in any major city you won’t need a car.

I’m from up north in Newcastle, and there are some fantastic cities across the U.K., London isn’t everything 😉 (although I do love London as well!)

I would agree with others on a negative being the rail network, it’s expensive and privatised and not as efficient as it should be.

• Heart
Reactions: 2

Horatio

VIP Member
Also we are, probably, maybe about to leave the EU. It’s looking like it might even happen on October 31st after all. Whenever it does it might be harder to get certain things. They will for sure be more expensive. It’s not clear what immigration laws for EU citizens not yet here would be. I know it seems like nothing has happened in the last 3 years but when it does a lot of things will change - probably some no one has thought of yet. That’s the real point - we are embarking into unknown territory. Definitely bear it in mind.

• Sad

annanuttall

VIP Member
Ha! Your worst thing is my favourite thing! I LOVE the dark nights - in fact I can’t wait for our clocks to change at the end of the month! I live for grey days and I can’t stand the light days or when it gets warm!
You are my soul spirit. I thought I was the only who was like that. :love:
I LIVE for a rainy day.

PineappleQueen19

VIP Member
In regards to the racism topic, I just want to say that racism to muslims, Europeans, anybody is wrong and I absolutely do not condone it. I have friends who are black (hope that's okay to say!) And from Romania, Africa, etc and they can't help what colour skin they have or where they were born. Nor does it matter. They have especially since Brexit experienced more racism and it's upsetting.

However, as a white English woman I also have experienced racism ~ albiet not as much at all, or as common as the other way around has experienced but that doesn't make it OK ~ from non English people, it works both ways but almost always gets swept under the carpet. It's unfair some of the comments that get made about Brits, that we all are on benefits or are all lazy, or we all go abroad and all are ignorant and aren't respectful abroad. The pics you see of drunken Brits causing havoc in Magaluf for example isn't an example of us all and many of us feel embarrassed by that behaviour and what other countries think of us. It's unfair to tar all us Brits with the same brush.

Racism can happen anywhere and happens in the US, Australia is quite bad... I don't understand why Brits get singled out and don't think it's fair as I certainly would defend a muslim experiencing abuse. Especially a lone muslim lady who clearly was put on the spot. Plus someone saod above that an Englishman defended them against some racism, so clearly we don't all accept that behaviour and would act on it.

I used to have a Spanish friend who themselves and their family hated muslims and apparently alot of Spanish people don't like muslims. I took it with a pinch of salt, I never go around saying all Spanish people hate muslims because you can't tar tear everyone with the same brush.

I'm sure I'll get called "racist" for posting this, I absolutely am not racist at all, and voted remain bu the way. I just think it works both ways in that alot of English people get painted into a picture and tarred with the same brush as each other which also is unfair and racism can come both ways, it is wrong whoever is racist to whoever. I hope people understand where I'm trying to come from and I won't be flamethrowed too badly.
In this thread we were talking about Britain because the OP asked about life in Britain.

Every country/city/town/village/street in the world is going to be somewhere on a scale of how welcoming they are to “others”.

And every incident matters but the bigger picture is that racism is about the power structures within our societies.

It’s good you are thinking more about it. To learn more Renni Eddo-Lodge is a great place to start: http://renieddolodge.co.uk/why-im-no-longer-talking-to-white-people-about-race/. She also has a book on the topic.

Horatio

VIP Member
This is what gets me when you watch those dire programmes like "Wanted Down Under". Parents thinking the outdoor lifestyle is best for their kids. Thinking that kids only thrive in hot climates.

Maybe some kids. But this country has always thrived in producing the best most eccentric and influential rock/pop music in the world. The Beatles, Stones, Bowie, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Queen, Punk, Black Sabbath, Eric Clapton, Muse, Jam, Madness, The Specials, The Smith's, Joy Division..I could go on and on. All bands that started off on rainy, deary days in all seasons stuck in their rooms learning to play the guitar, writing lyrics.....

Our climate has produced these creative avant garde forerunners in every aspect of the Arts.
Makes me think of a famous quote from the third man: “ In Italy for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder, bloodshed. They producedd Michaelangelo, da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, five hundred years of democracy and peace, and what did they produce? The cuckoo clock.”

But in this case it’s less about oppression more the boredom of a dreary British town on a drizzly Sunday afternoon....

annanuttall

VIP Member
I cannot stand hot summers and I really really hate light nights! I spend every weekend outside in the hills of the Peak District and there is nothing better than pissed off or angry weather!!
I'm completely the same. I hate hot summer days. People think I'm mental but hot weather attracts insects, flies and worst of all - wasp.

Edit// Just to continue... I went to a talk which Christopher Bailey was hosting, he's the designer for Burberry. He said something that stuck with me, how English rain is so romantic and refreshing. It so true and that why I love a rainy day.

Horatio

VIP Member
My fav thing about England (and the UK as a whole) is our ability to laugh at ourselves and each other. We dont take ourselves seriously and embrace our failures in sports, politics etc with humour.

Despite our name 'Great Britain', we don't have a 'we're the best' mentality and are always pleasantly surprised when we do well at something.
Yeah this is a good one. You know lord buckethead who stood for election in Boris Johnson’s seat in Uxbridge and last election in Maidenhead against Theresa may? (There’s a long history going back to thatcher

My friend from New York is obsessed with it- because something like that would never happen over there.

Here he is onstage early Friday morning alongside the similar Elmo, count bin face...and the prime minister.
9B7269C8-F78A-4451-BCBF-22BC8666126D.png

• Haha
You may not have thought about this but with Brexit happening, you will likely need a visa to live in the UK. Many friends of mine who already lived in the UK but are from other European countries had to apply for residency.
Yes, I've thought about this. The thing is, I'm not planning on moving right now, so I'm allowing myself to dream a little bit before I actually have to worry 😅

Reactions: 1

CrazyCatLady101

I am not from England, but Scotland so hope you don't mind my reply. We are all very friendly and as alh1905 said, in the cities you will always be welcome and there is loads to do, I don't see finding new friends ect an issue for you.

I would also change the weather, its always cold, dark and wet...its a rare day when its sunny and hot outside. You would need to look into/consider private lets and find a nice area to rent if you did come over, there are some areas that have not so nice people in them but I guess that's the same anywhere in the world, the NHS is great on the whole as you don't have the worry of money when something is very wrong.

You can live a cheaply or as expensive as you want - in order to stay here and live cheap you just need to know where to do your food shop and shop around for what you like, there are loads of shops that sell clothes for less too and if you cant get a furnished house id suggest going to a charity shop and getting furniture there. we have loads of great comedy clubs and places to eat - on both ends of the scale.

Hope this helps x

PineappleQueen19

VIP Member
Calls to mind the Barry Humphries quote,

"Growing up in Australia was akin to going to the school disco with your Grandmother "
Yes! The population density in the UK lends itself to creativity and innovation. Jim Jefferies said a while ago, he reaches 10% of the population in Australia, that’s nothing. He reaches 10% of the population in the uk and America, that’s phenomenal.

Pajxo

The weather is the only downfall, that’s the only reason we go on holiday so much!
Although every single time we return I say to my partner ‘ how lucky we are to live here’ England is just home!

SavvyBee

VIP Member
Our food may be a bit bland but is there anything better after a day in the cold than tucking into some proper English comfort food like a casserole or shepherd's pie?
Very good point! Although I still can’t make a beef stew that tastes like my Mums even when she tells me step by step what to do!

Fatima

VIP Member
I have lived in the UK my whole life and I would never agree that ‘people respect everyone’ maybe your experience in London was nice but I don’t think it’s wise to big it up so much to this person as he/she may be disappointed when they visit.. From my experiences, London has some of the rudest people I have ever met, they can be so impolite and impatient. Again, this is just what I have experienced and I don’t mean to offend anyone
You should have quoted my entire sentence.
Not only a part of it.
I said “people respect everyone no matter their origin and their religion” as multiculturalism and open mindedness.
They accept differences and are not afraid of it unlike some countries.
And it was not based only on my visit in London.
It was generally speaking.

Last edited:
  • Heart