Being made redundant.

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hey all,

I’m just wondering if anyone else is going through the process right now? I’m feeling totally overwhelmed and sad about the whole thing!

I’m the third highest sales person in my company, I haven’t taken a normal day off since January as they kept increasing our targets throughout COVID to make up for people being poorly, I’ve been working 12 hr days and I feel completely drained. I was super excited as I had the next 2 weeks off as annual leave and last Monday we had a global call to say that the companies recognises that they’ve treat us really bad during COVID and they’re going to look at ways to be better, then on Friday they called a team meeting and said that half the UK team would be being made redundant. I was super shocked but assumed I would be okay. Then today I’ve had an email saying my job is gone and I have to go to a meeting on Wednesday to discuss giving back my laptop.

I‘m beyond devastated. Is this really how quick the process takes place?

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 9
Hey all,

I’m just wondering if anyone else is going through the process right now? I’m feeling totally overwhelmed and sad about the whole thing!

I’m the third highest sales person in my company, I haven’t taken a normal day off since January as they kept increasing our targets throughout COVID to make up for people being poorly, I’ve been working 12 hr days and I feel completely drained. I was super excited as I had the next 2 weeks off as annual leave and last Monday we had a global call to say that the companies recognises that they’ve treat us really bad during COVID and they’re going to look at ways to be better, then on Friday they called a team meeting and said that half the UK team would be being made redundant. I was super shocked but assumed I would be okay. Then today I’ve had an email saying my job is gone and I have to go to a meeting on Wednesday to discuss giving back my laptop.

No it definitely doesn’t. You should be in a consultation process. Have a look at ACAS if you can.

Reactions: 1
You should have a consultation process. I am going through it now! It's really hard and I know how you feel xx

• Sad
Reactions: 2
Hey all,

This has happened to me too. I feel bereft. I feel sick. I’m so sorry you going through this too.

• Sad
Sorry to hear you’re going through this.
How many people are in your UK company? Are they making more than 20 people redundant? Sounds as if they have not followed proper consultation exercises.

I was made redundant a year ago. And that's how fast it went. I had no warnings, when I asked about it I was told my job is safe. And one morning I was called to a meeting and told I was made redundant. I was told there's no reason for me to be in the office anymore.

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 3
Thank you everyone! There’s only 4 of us in the UK so I don’t think there’s any rules about how they should manage the consultation phase. It feels like I’ve been working in the Wild West 🤦🏼‍♀️

• Sad
I was made redundant a year ago. And that's how fast it went. I had no warnings, when I asked about it I was told my job is safe. And one morning I was called to a meeting and told I was made redundant. I was told there's no reason for me to be in the office anymore.
What a cruel thing to say. How has your year been?

My consultation has just ended and have been made redundant, The consultation process was an absolute shambles and the way they handled things made me not as upset about leaving.

its unfortunate you are in this position and unfortunately you are just a number sometimes. Wishing you the best of luck in your future jobs, hopefully you can go onto better things.

• Heart
I was made redundant back in April. It was awful at the time.

But I’ve now obtained a better job - higher salary and more benefits.

Try and stay positive, things will get better!

• Heart
Reactions: 9
There doesn’t have to be a consultation period. They do however have to be able to show why you were chosen and not a colleague.
Just make sure your redundancy is paid out correctly. Here is a link https://www.gov.uk/calculate-your-redundancy-pay

Here is also a link to say what procedures they should be following. https://www.gov.uk/redundancy-your-rights

I think you should just take some time to wrap your head round it. It must be upsetting but I’m sure if you have a good track record you’ll find a job soon.
Make sure when you go into meetings that you are super polite. Don’t loose your temper. And record the conversations. Just in case you need to go to a tribunal

Reactions: 4
My consultation has just ended and have been made redundant, The consultation process was an absolute shambles and the way they handled things made me not as upset about leaving.

its unfortunate you are in this position and unfortunately you are just a number sometimes. Wishing you the best of luck in your future jobs, hopefully you can go onto better things.
If you don’t mind me asking, how long did the process take?

What a cruel thing to say. How has your year been?
Yeah, my boss was a complete d*ck! I was made redundant end of July and I managed to find a new job and started there mid September. But I had to go from part time to full time and so couldn't spend as much time with my daughter anymore. But I'm good now, never want to see or deal with my ex boss ever again. :)

• Heart
There doesn’t have to be a consultation period. They do however have to be able to show why you were chosen and not a colleague.
Just make sure your redundancy is paid out correctly. Here is a link https://www.gov.uk/calculate-your-redundancy-pay

Here is also a link to say what procedures they should be following. https://www.gov.uk/redundancy-your-rights

I think you should just take some time to wrap your head round it. It must be upsetting but I’m sure if you have a good track record you’ll find a job soon.
Make sure when you go into meetings that you are super polite. Don’t loose your temper. And record the conversations. Just in case you need to go to a tribunal
Thanks for this. Really helpful x

Sorry if I'm being thick. But that link says that there should be a consultation period. It also says that there should be a notice period - one week’s notice for each year if employed between 2 and 12 years.

It's all a bit confusing isn't it

Last edited:
Well, we found out on Friday that we were at risk, got an outcome letter on Monday but my ‘consultation’ meeting is tomorrow so I’m super confused 🤦🏼‍♀️ What are we going to talk about when I already have my outcome? 🤔

Sorry if I'm being thick. But that link says that there should be a consultation period. It also says that there should be a notice period - one week’s notice for each year if employed between 2 and 12 years.

It's all a bit confusing isn't it
The meeting will probably be the consultation but with Cov19 things are not as strict due to what is happening in terms of the economy and how businesses are affected.
The notice are sometimes just paid out. So if they are not making you work it express that you know it needs to be paid ontop of the redundancy package. However if they make you an offer consider it as you might not want to be stuck there for another few months trying to hit targets. You will probably want to go out and get a job straight away

I can't help with the legalities (but there seem to be others on here that can) but just wanted to say that I was made redundant years ago and whilst I was shocked and upset at the time, honestly it was the best thing! I sent my CV to a local recruitment company and walked into a similar role but with a much better company ethos and better pay.

With hindsight it was a great outcome but it felt stressful at the time. Hang in there. If you're good at your job things will come right I'm sure. Let us know how you get on!

Even with under 20 roles going at a single site, they should still put you at risk and meet with you at least once for a consultation before delivering an outcome. There is no legal timeframe for how long it should take in that circumstance but the business should act reasonably, i.e. giving you enough notice of meetings to allow you to arrange to be accompanied, which you are allowed to be.

I would advise asking them to talk you through the selection process for which roles would be kept and which would be eliminated. Redundancy should always be about the role first and foremost, so if others are being kept on in a job that either you or they could do then really you should be pooled and the roles advertised for application. If they have selected people for the roles already, definitely ask to see the criteria.

You are entitled to receive your notice pay and any accrued holiday (they may enforce taking this during your notice period) and a statutory redundancy payment if you’ve worked there for over 2 years. Ask to see the redundancy policy as your company may enhance these payments. They may start discussion about a settlement agreement, which should always come with additional payment as the agreement involves waiving some rights to claims against the company, which it sounds like you may have given the way things have gone for you this year.