Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Blahblahahaaa77

VIP Member
Sorry I’ve been super quiet since I started this thread!

Just an update.... they kept 3 out of us 8 of us on and promised to pay us 2 months as a ‘redundancy package’ ... they then said that they couldn’t remember saying that and were giving us nothing (I was furious!), luckily I had recorded the meeting on my phone so I sent it to the CEO and today I got paid the full 2 months and got an apology from the VP of Sales .... it was just a bank transfer and we’ve had no letter or any form of documentation to say we’ve actually been made redundant but I’m just happy with a little bit of money! I’m hoping it’s then end to the chapter!

On a more positive note, the jobs market seems to be much more fruitful than I expected, so if the worst does happen there are many more opportunities out there!

• Wow
Reactions: 11

Whaaaaat

I was made redundant back in April. It was awful at the time.

But I’ve now obtained a better job - higher salary and more benefits.

Try and stay positive, things will get better!

• Heart
Reactions: 9

Blahblahahaaa77

VIP Member
Hey all,

I’m just wondering if anyone else is going through the process right now? I’m feeling totally overwhelmed and sad about the whole thing!

I’m the third highest sales person in my company, I haven’t taken a normal day off since January as they kept increasing our targets throughout COVID to make up for people being poorly, I’ve been working 12 hr days and I feel completely drained. I was super excited as I had the next 2 weeks off as annual leave and last Monday we had a global call to say that the companies recognises that they’ve treat us really bad during COVID and they’re going to look at ways to be better, then on Friday they called a team meeting and said that half the UK team would be being made redundant. I was super shocked but assumed I would be okay. Then today I’ve had an email saying my job is gone and I have to go to a meeting on Wednesday to discuss giving back my laptop.

I‘m beyond devastated. Is this really how quick the process takes place?

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 9
There doesn’t have to be a consultation period. They do however have to be able to show why you were chosen and not a colleague.
Just make sure your redundancy is paid out correctly. Here is a link https://www.gov.uk/calculate-your-redundancy-pay

Here is also a link to say what procedures they should be following. https://www.gov.uk/redundancy-your-rights

I think you should just take some time to wrap your head round it. It must be upsetting but I’m sure if you have a good track record you’ll find a job soon.
Make sure when you go into meetings that you are super polite. Don’t loose your temper. And record the conversations. Just in case you need to go to a tribunal

Reactions: 4

Annim

I was made redundant a year ago. And that's how fast it went. I had no warnings, when I asked about it I was told my job is safe. And one morning I was called to a meeting and told I was made redundant. I was told there's no reason for me to be in the office anymore.

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 3

Pinkii

VIP Member
My consultation has just ended and have been made redundant, The consultation process was an absolute shambles and the way they handled things made me not as upset about leaving.

its unfortunate you are in this position and unfortunately you are just a number sometimes. Wishing you the best of luck in your future jobs, hopefully you can go onto better things.

• Heart
I got made redundant in June. We were sent an email in the morning telling you that you would get a phone call later that day to be told if you were being made redundant or not! And an explanation why. Well, unfortunately I got the phone call and I was told it was because my job no longer exists anymore... except my colleague is now doing it since I’m no longer there!!! Didn’t bother having a consultation, just wanted to get it over and done with and within 2 weeks I’d had my final pay and redundancy package and was jobless.
I’ve not got any advice, except, don’t let the bastards get you down!!

• Wow

Annim

What a cruel thing to say. How has your year been?
Yeah, my boss was a complete d*ck! I was made redundant end of July and I managed to find a new job and started there mid September. But I had to go from part time to full time and so couldn't spend as much time with my daughter anymore. But I'm good now, never want to see or deal with my ex boss ever again. :)

• Heart

DowntoearthDawn

VIP Member
Hey all,

I’m just wondering if anyone else is going through the process right now? I’m feeling totally overwhelmed and sad about the whole thing!

I’m the third highest sales person in my company, I haven’t taken a normal day off since January as they kept increasing our targets throughout COVID to make up for people being poorly, I’ve been working 12 hr days and I feel completely drained. I was super excited as I had the next 2 weeks off as annual leave and last Monday we had a global call to say that the companies recognises that they’ve treat us really bad during COVID and they’re going to look at ways to be better, then on Friday they called a team meeting and said that half the UK team would be being made redundant. I was super shocked but assumed I would be okay. Then today I’ve had an email saying my job is gone and I have to go to a meeting on Wednesday to discuss giving back my laptop.

This has happened to me too. I feel bereft. I feel sick. I’m so sorry you going through this too.

• Sad
Reactions: 2

Lobby

In one of my old retail jobs, my colleagues went into work on a normal day to find head office packing up their store and told, 'oh we're shutting you down, you can either leave unpaid or you can help pack up and get paid for the day' The store manager had no idea. I couldn't believe it and got myself a new job a month later.

Anyway, I'm sorry this is happening, it's so awful losing your job and especially with minimal notice. I agree with others, the process doesn't sound right.

Lollipop2123

Chatty Member
You should have a consultation process. I am going through it now! It's really hard and I know how you feel xx

• Sad

TheScarletgirl

VIP Member
A work colleague and I were made redundant on the basis we were most likely to leave soon .. I also found out the boss told the whole office what she was planning to do a month before she told those affected .

Employer's can be so cruel.

• Wow

TravellingPants

Chatty Member
Even with under 20 roles going at a single site, they should still put you at risk and meet with you at least once for a consultation before delivering an outcome. There is no legal timeframe for how long it should take in that circumstance but the business should act reasonably, i.e. giving you enough notice of meetings to allow you to arrange to be accompanied, which you are allowed to be.

I would advise asking them to talk you through the selection process for which roles would be kept and which would be eliminated. Redundancy should always be about the role first and foremost, so if others are being kept on in a job that either you or they could do then really you should be pooled and the roles advertised for application. If they have selected people for the roles already, definitely ask to see the criteria.

You are entitled to receive your notice pay and any accrued holiday (they may enforce taking this during your notice period) and a statutory redundancy payment if you’ve worked there for over 2 years. Ask to see the redundancy policy as your company may enhance these payments. They may start discussion about a settlement agreement, which should always come with additional payment as the agreement involves waiving some rights to claims against the company, which it sounds like you may have given the way things have gone for you this year.

Blahblahahaaa77

VIP Member
Thank you everyone! There’s only 4 of us in the UK so I don’t think there’s any rules about how they should manage the consultation phase. It feels like I’ve been working in the Wild West 🤦🏼‍♀️

• Sad
Reactions: 1

Shestheman22

The prospect of being made redundant always scares me because I get the feeling my employer doesn’t care who you are or how hard you work, they just do what is best for them. I get that’s how business works but they don’t care about us at all.

I work at head office for a retail business, a couple of years ago they got rid of about 6 managers just like that. They turned up to work on a normal day to be told their job didn’t exist any more. By the end of the day all their access and accounts had been deleted.

Team Leader A was told that a second team leader role was being created on her team. So they moved Team Leader B into this role and A&B worked together for about a month I think. At which point Team Leader A was one of the above that was suddenly made redundant after 20+ years service, most people liked her and she was a great manager. So Team Leader B was clearly sneakily brought in as a replacement, she only had a couple of years service. She’s still in the role now but god knows why, she is known to be lazy and delegates pretty much all of her work to those below her. It was shocking how they treated A.

Happyvalley

VIP Member
Hey all,

No it definitely doesn’t. You should be in a consultation process. Have a look at ACAS if you can.

Paradisefalls

Sorry that you are in this situation but I don't think it will hurt for you to look for a new role? You could just not take the new opportunity if they offered and stick with your job but if you do get made redundant then you can take up the new opportunity. I don't think you are not being loyal to your job if you are looking out for yourself. No one wants to be jobless and in debt.
Thank-you for replying and I think you are right - I do need to look out for myself. Business will do what is right for them ultimately so I need to do the same.

DowntoearthDawn

VIP Member
I was made redundant a year ago. And that's how fast it went. I had no warnings, when I asked about it I was told my job is safe. And one morning I was called to a meeting and told I was made redundant. I was told there's no reason for me to be in the office anymore.
What a cruel thing to say. How has your year been?