BBC Radio

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I use the BBC Sounds App a lot. I can go back and listen to programmes I’ve missed or have fallen asleep to. BBC London has been broadcasting to the whole country on the local radio stations networks each morning from 1am. It’s great if you can’t sleep. They encourage people to ring in so you get accents from all over the country, the three main broadcasters are Jim David, Petrie Hosken and Dotun Adebayo. Petrie starts at 5 am Sunday to Thursday.

Does anyone else struggle with Helen Skelton on 5 live.
She seems to be used to stand in when presenters are off, I like her on SAS, Country file and generally on Tv but her voice on radio is terrible and she just seems too twee...it doesn’t work and I turn the radio off.

Ever heard her on radio but I can see how she could be twee while having a terrible voice.

I’m having withdrawal symptoms from the old BBC London schedule. They rejigged the late night and early morning presenters. Also the Sunday slots have changed. Have started listening to Paul Miller at BBC Surrey weeknights at 10 pm which broadcasts across other local several radio stations.

Looking forward to Vanessa feltz being back not keen on Nicki chapman. I actually love Steve Wright and like the fact is almost exactly the same as it was in my youth 30 years ago!

Reactions: 2
I grew up listening to Radio 2, I have it on all day everyday.

I love Ken Bruce and Steve Wright - shocked that some of you aren’t keen on them! I think they’re great fun and I love playing Popmaster on Ken’s show. And I’ve had shout outs from Steve two weeks in a row on Serious Jockin’ no g, I was buzzing

Not a fan of Jeremy Vine, he says the daftest things sometimes! And the topics and opinions sometimes wind me up so much I have to switch stations.

Sara Cox is good too, think she’s such a natural. I liked Simon Mayo but teaming him up with Jo Wiley was quite strange. Jo’s own show can be quite good, oh and I like Trevor Nelson’s show, always hear great music that I’d forgotten about!

Reactions: 4
Radio 2 has been a constant throughout lockdown for me. Pretty much on morning to night in my kitchen. Love jo whiley, Bob Harris, Alan and Mel, Rylan and pick of the pops. Also a big fan of the bbc sounds app, so many shows to choose from.

Reactions: 1
Oh, no! I have to turn over to Radio 4 when they come on. I can’t wait until Graham Norton is back. (My opinion, no offence meant!)
I agree CANNOT stand those two soo annoying.

also sometimes listen to the Archers on radio4

Reactions: 1
Sara Cox is excellent, a radio natural, as you say. I loved Simon Mayo’s drive time show but it was a disaster when he and Jo Wiley co-presented. The chemistry just didn’t happen.
OJ Borg’s midnight to 3am show is worth a listen if you’re awake in the wee small hours. I think he’ll get a daytime slot before too long.

Reactions: 3
I like Graham Norton and am looking forward to him being back, but I also like Alan and Mel (mainly for Alan, love him!). They should maybe get their own slot somewhere?! Rylan is good too, he's another radio natural. I also really like Craig Charles!

Radio 2 has been a constant throughout lockdown for me. Pretty much on morning to night in my kitchen. Love jo whiley, Bob Harris, Alan and Mel, Rylan and pick of the pops. Also a big fan of the bbc sounds app, so many shows to choose from.
Same here, the radio is switched on in our kitchen first thing in the morning, and only turned off when we're going to bed! I love pick of the pops too, I liked Tony Blackburn doing it.

I've heard a bit of OJ Borg when I've been up late but haven't listened to the whole show, I'll have to check it out properly!

Reactions: 5
It's funny I was just saying to my other half the older you get the further down the radio stations you tune into....I remember when Steve Wright was on radio 1 ...I'm not ready for the Fcken Archers yet btw

Reactions: 5
It's funny I was just saying to my other half the older you get the further down the radio stations you tune into....I remember when Steve Wright was on radio 1 ...I'm not ready for the Fcken Archers yet btw
I’ve been all over the place with the radio. I listened to Radio 1all day until I was pregnant with my second baby in 1986. I was 27 and the DJ patter and music annoyed me. I went straight to Radio 4 and started listening to FOOC, I’m Sorry, I Haven’t a Clue, Feedback and many, many more, including The Archers. I’m working at home now and listen to Radio 3 because I like how classical music soothes when I’m working but it’s Radio 2 after office hours.

Reactions: 2
I'm on smooth radio now I've given up finding the DJ's of my youth truthfully I listen to the absolute channels now, anything from 70's to dance etc I like all kinds of music..

Last edited:
I'm not sure if this thread is just for the BBC's national radio stations so please feel free to delete if this post about BBC local radio is out of place. I was going to post on Digital Spy but its contributors seem mainly hardcore radio fans with in depth knowledge of presenters, stations and schedules and I would feel a bit out of place there with my superficial observations.

As a Londoner I've listened to BBC Radio London over the years in its various incarnations. I'd usually listen on and off during the day when home from work, or out in the car when I had one, and would just listen to whoever happened to be on so I was never too bothered when presenters moved around slots. The station was also handy for London news, info about events, and traffic but I now get most of that info from other online sources. I still believe BBC Local radio is a valuable resource, the way they switched up to provide community information at the start of the pandemic was probably a lifeline for some people, and should always be on stand-by.

When I started working from home I had my radio on constantly during working hours and am now thinking it is time for a change, due to over-exposure I suppose. I still like the Robert Elms show as an interesting magazine-type format with top-notch contributors, a fantastic music mix, including introducing new music which is much needed. What I am totally sick of are the same old phone-in callers allowed on various shows. Worst is Maureen with her dreadful poems, usually on the Vanessa Feltz breakfast show.

I am also completely over Jo Good on the afternoon show, whoop-whooping and squealing in the middle of songs and mispronouncing guests' names, thinking it's all very ditzy and funny. I think she's checked out, she seems more interested in becoming a YouTube influencer as @middleagedminx. When she first started on SM I thought "good for her" and followed her, but her approach seems more cynical now. (Her latest video has her unboxing freebies from Next, she says isn't an ad as she's just showing what she was sent unsolicited, but she does mention that she has worked with them in the past).

I found Tattle after listening to JG interviewing Sali Hughes, sympathising with her about being "trolled". I wanted to see for myself how terrible these online comments really were and ended up here , which has been very enlightening. I also found out here that Jo Good is represented by Gleam, they also represent the awful SacconeJoly family who Jo has interviewed and mentions on her radio show, gushing and raving about them, as well as featuring them on her Dogs in the City podcast. I do wonder whether such associations should be disclosed on the BBC.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.