BBC Radio

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’ve been decorating this week and had Radio 2 on - I’ve been utterly bored! I’ve listened to it for the past few years. I’m 27 but I prefer the music R2 plays to Radio 1 (which is aimed at my ‘demographic’). There’s a station called Greatest Hits which I switch to and Absolute 80s is my go to.

Reactions: 3
I don't listen to the radio often but when I do it's Radio 1 on a Friday night as I like house music 💃

Reactions: 2
I'm not sure if this thread is just for the BBC's national radio stations so please feel free to delete if this post about BBC local radio is out of place. I was going to post on Digital Spy but its contributors seem mainly hardcore radio fans with in depth knowledge of presenters, stations and schedules and I would feel a bit out of place there with my superficial observations.

As a Londoner I've listened to BBC Radio London over the years in its various incarnations. I'd usually listen on and off during the day when home from work, or out in the car when I had one, and would just listen to whoever happened to be on so I was never too bothered when presenters moved around slots. The station was also handy for London news, info about events, and traffic but I now get most of that info from other online sources. I still believe BBC Local radio is a valuable resource, the way they switched up to provide community information at the start of the pandemic was probably a lifeline for some people, and should always be on stand-by.

When I started working from home I had my radio on constantly during working hours and am now thinking it is time for a change, due to over-exposure I suppose. I still like the Robert Elms show as an interesting magazine-type format with top-notch contributors, a fantastic music mix, including introducing new music which is much needed. What I am totally sick of are the same old phone-in callers allowed on various shows. Worst is Maureen with her dreadful poems, usually on the Vanessa Feltz breakfast show.

I am also completely over Jo Good on the afternoon show, whoop-whooping and squealing in the middle of songs and mispronouncing guests' names, thinking it's all very ditzy and funny. I think she's checked out, she seems more interested in becoming a YouTube influencer as @middleagedminx. When she first started on SM I thought "good for her" and followed her, but her approach seems more cynical now. (Her latest video has her unboxing freebies from Next, she says isn't an ad as she's just showing what she was sent unsolicited, but she does mention that she has worked with them in the past).

I found Tattle after listening to JG interviewing Sali Hughes, sympathising with her about being "trolled". I wanted to see for myself how terrible these online comments really were and ended up here , which has been very enlightening. I also found out here that Jo Good is represented by Gleam, they also represent the awful SacconeJoly family who Jo has interviewed and mentions on her radio show, gushing and raving about them, as well as featuring them on her Dogs in the City podcast. I do wonder whether such associations should be disclosed on the BBC.
Jo good was on a local radio station in Manchester years ago, key103 I think. She was awful and really annoying

Jo good was on a local radio station in Manchester years ago, key103 I think. She was awful and really annoying
I think there is another radio Jo Good. The BBC Radio London one used to be billed as JoAnne Good, and was also on BBC radio in Brighton apparently.

I'm not sure if this thread is just for the BBC's national radio stations so please feel free to delete if this post about BBC local radio is out of place. I was going to post on Digital Spy but its contributors seem mainly hardcore radio fans with in depth knowledge of presenters, stations and schedules and I would feel a bit out of place there with my superficial observations.

As a Londoner I've listened to BBC Radio London over the years in its various incarnations. I'd usually listen on and off during the day when home from work, or out in the car when I had one, and would just listen to whoever happened to be on so I was never too bothered when presenters moved around slots. The station was also handy for London news, info about events, and traffic but I now get most of that info from other online sources. I still believe BBC Local radio is a valuable resource, the way they switched up to provide community information at the start of the pandemic was probably a lifeline for some people, and should always be on stand-by.

When I started working from home I had my radio on constantly during working hours and am now thinking it is time for a change, due to over-exposure I suppose. I still like the Robert Elms show as an interesting magazine-type format with top-notch contributors, a fantastic music mix, including introducing new music which is much needed. What I am totally sick of are the same old phone-in callers allowed on various shows. Worst is Maureen with her dreadful poems, usually on the Vanessa Feltz breakfast show.

I am also completely over Jo Good on the afternoon show, whoop-whooping and squealing in the middle of songs and mispronouncing guests' names, thinking it's all very ditzy and funny. I think she's checked out, she seems more interested in becoming a YouTube influencer as @middleagedminx. When she first started on SM I thought "good for her" and followed her, but her approach seems more cynical now. (Her latest video has her unboxing freebies from Next, she says isn't an ad as she's just showing what she was sent unsolicited, but she does mention that she has worked with them in the past).

I found Tattle after listening to JG interviewing Sali Hughes, sympathising with her about being "trolled". I wanted to see for myself how terrible these online comments really were and ended up here , which has been very enlightening. I also found out here that Jo Good is represented by Gleam, they also represent the awful SacconeJoly family who Jo has interviewed and mentions on her radio show, gushing and raving about them, as well as featuring them on her Dogs in the City podcast. I do wonder whether such associations should be disclosed on the BBC.
I’ve very similar feelings to you and I posted about BBC London at the beginning of this thread. Jo Good has interviewed a lot of people who are represented by Gleam, unfortunately. Did you hear the recent interview with Anna Saccone Joly on her eating disorder? She also had Steph Michalak on a while ago. I’d never heard of him but he has a thread (along with his wife) on Tattle.

It’s terrible how Jo Good keeps saying she doesn’t have any money and no secure future, no pension etc but yet spends hundreds of pounds on clothes and shoes. It’s disingenuous. I’m aware that she has three properties including her flat in London. Her not declaring adverts is shocking. I believe Anna Webb, her co presenter on the Barking Hour, also doesn’t declare adverts on her Insta account.

Her Key Change! screeching in the middle of songs is very tiresome.

I agree with you that her links to Gleam should be known. The BBC Complaints Unit is a good place to start as I don’t think the editor of the station cares a jot as she is his pet. His wife is always leaving comments in her account. The new Director General Tim Davie, would also be a good one to contact as he appears to be cracking down on outside interests and links that the presenters have, see recent criticism of Naga Munchetti.
Our own dear @Dogmuck has complained about the recent broadcast done by Sali Hughes on trolls. 👊🏻

Last edited:
  • Heart
I use the BBC Sounds App a lot. I can go back and listen to programmes I’ve missed or have fallen asleep to. BBC London has been broadcasting to the whole country on the local radio stations networks each morning from 1am. It’s great if you can’t sleep. They encourage people to ring in so you get accents from all over the country, the three main broadcasters are Jim David, Petrie Hosken and Dotun Adebayo. Petrie starts at 5 am Sunday to Thursday.
Petrie Hosken is a fantastic journalist and broadcaster. I am happy to listen to BBC London breakfast when she fills in for Vanessa. If I get up in the middle of the night for a few minutes I usually switch the radio on, it's nice to catch the varied accents.

I’ve very similar feelings to you and I posted about BBC London at the beginning of this thread. Jo Good has interviewed a lot of people who are represented by Gleam, unfortunately. Did you hear the recent interview with Anna Saccone Joly on her eating disorder? She also had Steph Michalak on a while ago. I’d never heard of him but he has a thread (along with his wife) on Tattle.

It’s terrible how Jo Good keeps saying she doesn’t have any money and no secure future, no pension etc but yet spends hundreds of pounds on clothes and shoes. It’s disingenuous. I’m aware that she has three properties including her flat in London. Her not declaring adverts is shocking. I believe Anna Webb, her co presenter on the Barking Hour, also doesn’t declare adverts on her Insta account.

Her Key Change! screeching in the middle of songs is very tiresome.

I agree with you that her links to Gleam should be known. The BBC Complaints Unit is a good place to start as I don’t think the editor of the station cares a jot as she is his pet. The new Director General Tim Davie, would also be a good one to contact as he appears to be cracking down on outside interests and links that the presenters have, see recent criticism of Naga Munchetti.
Our own dear @Dogmuck has recently complained about the recent broadcast done by Sali Hughes on trolls.
Thanks for that information Mustard. I did hear that interview with Anna Saccone and posted about it on their thread at the time. At that stage I'd not heard of the SJs but I immediately thought something was fishy because Jo was raving so much, I couldn't imagine her being interested in some suburban family with 4 kids, so I did a search. I will familiarise myself with Gleam's charges and be on the lookout should any pop up again.

I didn't know Jo had three properties, I thought she only had the small Marylebone studio that she rents out, and in turn lives in a one-bed rented flat in the same building. I suppose I thought things would be a bit tight on BBC local pay, car payments and rent top-up, and mortgage. I wouldn't care how many properties she had but it certainly doesn't chime with her old-hippie-living-by-the-seat-of-her-pants shtick. I'm sure she'd always have the option of living with her elderly mother if she had to. It seems so insensitive to play poor when so many at the moment are really just one payday away from being on a sofa or worse.

Last edited:
Petrie Hosken is a fantastic journalist and broadcaster. I am happy to listen to BBC London breakfast when she fills in for Vanessa. If I get up in the middle of the night for a few minutes I usually switch the radio on, it's nice to catch the varied accents.

Thanks for that information Mustard. I did hear that interview with Anna Saccone and posted about it on their thread at the time. At that stage I'd not heard of the SJs but I immediately thought something was fishy because Jo was raving so much, I couldn't imagine her being interested in some suburban family with 4 kids, so I did a search. I will familiarise myself with Gleam's charges and be on the lookout should any pop up again.

I didn't know Jo had three properties, I thought she only had the small Marylebone studio that she rents out, and in turn lives in a one-bed rented flat in the same building. I suppose I thought things would be a bit tight on BBC local pay, car payments and rent top-up, and mortgage. I wouldn't care how many properties she had but it certainly doesn't chime with her old-hippie-living-by-the-seat-of-her-pants shtick. I'm sure she'd always have the option of living with her elderly mother if she had to. It seems so insensitive to play poor when so many at the moment are really just one payday away from being on a sofa or worse.
Apparently she still has her flat in Brighton and also a house in somewhere near Steyning. I’ve heard her admitting to still having the Brighton property.

Apparently she still has her flat in Brighton and also a house in somewhere near Steyning. I’ve heard her admitting to still having the Brighton property.

I miss Petrie’s early morning programme. I even miss Duncan Barkes’ 10 pm slot even though I wasn’t keen when he first started. I know he’s on early mornings on Saturday and Sunday but I’d rather be sleeping. I find now quite often I will listen back to many programmes on the Sounds App. Then I can skip over the music if I don’t feel in the mood for it.

Last edited:
She is often in Sussex visiting her mum.

And excuse me Mustard, I really should've read all of this short thread before posting, I just echoed you!

• Haha
Reactions: 1
Have started listening to R2 a lot more on my drives home as find Grimmy quite grating a fair bit of the time (like ..99% of the time), love Greg James in the morning though although slowly finding him a tad irritating from time to time but still find Scott and Chris hilarious in the afternoons. Rylan on r2 is deffo a guilty pleasure!

And excuse me Mustard, I really should've read all of this short thread before posting, I just echoed you!

Yes, it seems she goes there every weekend. Her mum definitely enhances the content for her YouTube videos which I have watched but not subscribed to.

During the week, I love a bit of Pop Master on Ken Bruce and I don't mind Steve Wright but can live without it.

Faves on a weekend are Rylan followed by Liza Tarbuck on a Saturday, then Michael Ball on a Sunday!

I'm mostly a R1 listener, despite being well out of their demographic at 42. I adore Nick Grimshaw, really like Greg James and Clara Amfo but not so fussed on Scott Mills. I really like Jordan North too. Annie Mac is ok but often I'm not fussed on the music she plays. Quite a few others I can't stand though.

In the evenings I prefer talking to music if I listen to radio at all so likely to be R4 or something from the Sounds app.

Many many managing editors of the BBC Local Radio stations have now left/taken voluntary redundancy in order to avoid compulsory redundancy, including David Robey, managing editor of BBC London. Jo Good mentioned it on her YouTube Channel so I googled to see the extent of the cuts. Most of them will get final salary pensions so I’m not feeling sorry for them. If Robey us gone there could be a major shakeup at BBC London. Getting rid of double presenter programmes could be a start.

Many many managing editors of the BBC Local Radio stations have now left/taken voluntary redundancy in order to avoid compulsory redundancy, including David Robey, managing editor of BBC London. Jo Good mentioned it on her YouTube Channel so I googled to see the extent of the cuts. Most of them will get final salary pensions so I’m not feeling sorry for them. If Robey us gone there could be a major shakeup at BBC London. Getting rid of double presenter programmes could be a start.
David Robey was on at the start of Robert Elms' BBR Radio London show this morning, being given a send-off. He said when he was given the job by Mark Thompson in 1999 he felt it was a poison chalice. I can imagine that might be the case - a bit like M&S, people do expect the BBC, especially local radio, to be all things to all people all the time. I've been listening quite a long while so it's served its purpose for me I suppose, I think my main gripe now with David Robey was his indulgence of the increasingly irritating Jo Good. I first heard Amy Lame when she was on with Danny Baker and I now enjoy her Lazy Sunday show on BBC 6 Music.

David Robey was on at the start of Robert Elms' BBR Radio London show this morning, being given a send-off. He said when he was given the job by Mark Thompson in 1999 he felt it was a poison chalice. I can imagine that might be the case - a bit like M&S, people do expect the BBC, especially local radio, to be all things to all people all the time. I've been listening quite a long while so it's served its purpose for me I suppose, I think my main gripe now with David Robey was his indulgence of the increasingly irritating Jo Good. I first heard Amy Lame when she was on with Danny Baker and I now enjoy her Lazy Sunday show on BBC 6 Music.
Yes, I heard his interview this morning. If Robey wanted to keep Jo Good, he should have should have kept her on at night. She’s very narcissistic and disingenuous and it gets Old really fast. wearing very quickly. I don’t listen after 10 pm weekdays anymore, and quite often not after 10 pm weekends either.

Edit I forgot to say that JG is a profligate liar too. In the long ago past I have sent her emails. When she read them on air, she always inserted a ‘I love your programme Jo’ when I hadn’t written any such thing. I presume she does the same with other listeners’ emails. I was gobsmacked when I first heard her. She also used to say that her producer used to tell her off for reading out complimentary emails, but it never stopped her doing it.

Last edited:
Yes, I heard his interview this morning. If Robey wanted to keep Jo Good, he should have should have kept her on at night. She’s very narcissistic and disingenuous and it gets Old really fast. wearing very quickly. I don’t listen after 10 pm weekdays anymore, and quite often not after 10 pm weekends either.
Me neither, I never listen in the evenings, if Cristo Foufas is on an upbeat topic over on TalkRadio I will tune in there, a hangover from when I used to listen to Iain Lee at that time.

For me the most irritating thing about Jo Good is the constant me-me-me, I do wonder how she will attract followers to her SM if she loses her show, which she seems to use as a personal showcase. Also tedious are her many affectations, for example pronouncing "suits" in that very RP way, but then forgetting to be la-di-da and dropping a g, you'll often hear listenin', talkin', doin' etc. Neither should she bother with words she doesn't understand, her muddling of prodigy/protege is particularly grating.

A new broom won't go amiss at BBC Radio London. This morning Vanessa aired overexposed caller Maureen from Plaistow who, shortly after, reappeared during Robert's show - at least for her encore she was talking about music and not reciting one of her poems or rabbiting on about dreary old-time recipes.

Last edited:
Me neither, I never listen in the evenings, if Cristo Foufas is on an upbeat topic over on TalkRadio I will tune in there, a hangover from when I used to listen to Iain Lee at that time.

For me the most irritating thing about Jo Good is the constant me-me-me, I do wonder how she will attract followers to her SM if she loses her show, which she seems to use as a personal showcase. Also tedious are her many affectations, for example pronouncing "suits" in that very RP way, but then forgetting to be la-di-da and dropping a g, you'll often hear listenin', talkin', doin' etc. Neither should she bother with words she doesn't understand, her muddling of prodigy/protege is particularly grating.

A new broom won't go amiss at BBC Radio London. This morning Vanessa aired overexposed caller Maureen from Plaistow who, shortly after, reappeared during Robert's show - at least for her encore she was talking about music and not reciting one of her poems or rabbiting on about dreary old-time recipes.
I have to say that Maureen from Plaistow is one of the least bothersome callers to me. She’s like a grandmotherly figure, but yes she is on a lot. The one I have to switch off is the woman from Sutton with a Yorkshire accent who is usually calling Jim Davis and Duncan Barkes. She yaps away in a monologue and they can’t get a word in.

I love Ken Bruce and Popmaster, Pick of the Pops on a Saturday apart from Paul Gambacini who ruins it every time by announcing the year (why can’t they keep it till the end so you have to guess and it’s a surprise?), Jeremy Vine, Sounds of the Seventies, Graham Norton and Liza Tarbuck. Don’t really like Zoe Ball but not bothered about morning radio. I miss Simon Mayo’s Drive Time, can’t stand Jo Whiley, Sara Cox is okay. That‘s quite a lot of Radio 2! Oh and I really don’t like Steve Wright, too predictable and unfunny.

I love Ken Bruce and Popmaster, Pick of the Pops on a Saturday apart from Paul Gambacini who ruins it every time by announcing the year (why can’t they keep it till the end so you have to guess and it’s a surprise?), Jeremy Vine, Sounds of the Seventies, Graham Norton and Liza Tarbuck. Don’t really like Zoe Ball but not bothered about morning radio. I miss Simon Mayo’s Drive Time, can’t stand Jo Whiley, Sara Cox is okay. That‘s quite a lot of Radio 2! Oh and I really don’t like Steve Wright, too predictable and unfunny.
Radio 2 has a lot of excellent music documentaries too. I catch up on the Sounds App. Am listening to Sounds of the Seventies right now with Johnny Walker.

Last edited:
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.