BBC Radio #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Big changes just announced to the Radio 1 schedule. They are still trying to make Dean a star, but thankfully now going to be hidden away on early breakfast.

I’d like to see a woman do Sunday love songs. Not Nicky Chapman though she’s too bland.
Nicki Chapman comes across as a genuinely lovely person but I agree that she's not exactly the most dynamic personality. Sunday morning MOR radio lends itself quite well to the more 'gentle' presenter though, especially the Love Songs style of show. A show based so heavily around listener's personal dedications ideally needs someone who seems warm, kind-natured and sincere.

Although a bit boring, Nicki wouldn't be the worst choice. I'd much rather her than other R2 stand-ins and occasional presenters like Anneka Rice, Anita Rani, Gaby Roslin or Tina Daheley (😱).

What about lovely Bobbie Pryor or perhaps even Emma Willis? (Emma really wasn't great on Claudia's slot the other day but may do better on a pre-recorded show?)

The fantastic Liza T is obviously a league above all of the above (and would be my No.1 choice) but I couldn't really see her going for it, if left in its current format. Her eclectic musical tastes wouldn't really suit the style of the show, so although she ticks all the boxes (personality-wise, competent broadcaster, safe pair of hands etc), she'd probably feel pretty stunted, creatively.

In terms of male presenters, Michael Ball is the obvious choice but I could also see Owain doing it. What about Ritchie Anderson? Brace yourselves! 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 5
Dean and Vicky just didn’t work together though. I wonder why they’ve now announced Katie is joining Vick and Jamie. That whole situation seems to have been rushed in to and I can’t see it lasting long term

Nicki Chapman comes across as a genuinely lovely person but I agree that she's not exactly the most dynamic personality. Sunday morning MOR radio lends itself quite well to the more 'gentle' presenter though, especially the Love Songs style of show. A show based so heavily around listener's personal dedications ideally needs someone who seems warm, kind-natured and sincere.

Although a bit boring, Nicki wouldn't be the worst choice. I'd much rather her than other R2 stand-ins and occasional presenters like Anneka Rice, Anita Rani, Gaby Roslin or Tina Daheley (😱).

What about lovely Bobbie Pryor or perhaps even Emma Willis? (Emma really wasn't great on Claudia's slot the other day but may do better on a pre-recorded show?)

The fantastic Liza T is obviously a league above all of the above (and would be my No.1 choice) but I couldn't really see her going for it, if left in its current format. Her eclectic musical tastes wouldn't really suit the style of the show, so although she ticks all the boxes (personality-wise, competent broadcaster, safe pair of hands etc), she'd probably feel pretty stunted, creatively.

In terms of male presenters, Michael Ball is the obvious choice but I could also see Owain doing it. What about Ritchie Anderson? Brace yourselves! 😂
Oh god not Richie!!!! Liza is my top choice. Michael and Bobbie would both be great.

• Haha
Reactions: 6
Dean and Vicky just didn’t work together though. I wonder why they’ve now announced Katie is joining Vick and Jamie. That whole situation seems to have been rushed in to and I can’t see it lasting long term
Dean came across as someone who didn't like sharing the mic with anyone and seemed to think Vicky was below him.
I think Radio 1 underestimated how much people dislike Jamie, but a threesome is too much and fingers crossed he'll be gone by Summer!

Reactions: 2
It should have been Vick and Katie from the start.

Matt and Mollie are the only radio 1 presenters I ever listen to nowadays.
I enjoy listening to them too but will sadly miss most of their show as I finish work at 3pm.

Good to hear Danny Beard is joining temporarily on R1. Now that Graham has left Virgin and with Ramesh taking over from Claudia (never listened to her either) it will give me something to listen to. Of course I could always listen to Matt & Mollie on Sounds!

In terms of Pick of the Pops I reckon Gary could take it over and can always do a pre-record. For Sunday Love Songs it won't be Michael Ball as he is on straight after at 11am. Owain is a good call or maybe they will go with a female presenter. As much as Nikki Chapman is bland I think she would work well in that slot.

Reactions: 1
I’d love Nikki in that slot to be honest. She’s so nice! And the whole point of the show is to have someone nice celebrating with you. I think she’d be great for it. Agree about Gary for Pops too.

I’d love Nikki in that slot to be honest. She’s so nice! And the whole point of the show is to have someone nice celebrating with you. I think she’d be great for it.
She really is very nice and you can hear the smiles in her voice - she's one of those! I agree though, sincerity and warmth is so important on that show. It's about showcasing the listeners rather than projecting your own personality and putting the spotlight on yourself. You definitely wouldn't get that from the likes of Graham Norton!

They might go with a women as the weekend schedule is very man heavy at the moment. When Claudia has gone there won't be women hosted show on Saturday until the evening.

I would love Lisa to do it, but I wouldn't want to stop her Saturday night show. It has a refreshing playfulness to it.

I am a big fan of Saturday Radio 2. It feels very different to the weekday for some reason. The shows are either chill or fun, and you get lots of music you wouldn't normally hear during the week.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
They might go with a women as the weekend schedule is very man heavy at the moment. When Claudia has gone there won't be women hosted show on Saturday until the evening.

I would love Lisa to do it, but I wouldn't want to stop her Saturday night show. It has a refreshing playfulness to it.

I am a big fan of Saturday Radio 2. It feels very different to the weekday for some reason. The shows are either chill or fun, and you get lots of music you wouldn't normally hear during the week.
I like Saturday Radio 2, too. It’s what pulled me in from Radio 1 a few years ago. I’m so sad Claudia is leaving because I love her!

Reactions: 3

Very well said. Liza is about the only person worth listening to on the station these days, and one of the great things about her show is the way she runs with the mad messages people send in about the nominated topic of discussion, especially when it's a particularly funny contribution and she busts a gut laughing at it. Also when people mention their dogs and she greets them on air and presses the squeaky toy 🤣 I can't imagine her style of broadcasting being quite the same in a pre recorded show.

Reactions: 7
Thank goodness they seem to be getting rid of Dean and Vicky on radio 1. Although he also recently covered the breakfast show when Greg James was off with covid so maybe they aren’t going far.
Matt and Mollie will be doing lunchtime Mon-Thursday now apparently. I don’t mind them together although she is completely bland when on her own
matt and mollie are honestly so charming together even though she is, like you say, a bit bland on her own. radio 1 is absolutely dire right now though, they must be paying greg james so much to try and get him to stay, he’s a cut above all of them.

the two they have doing the drive home show this week (sam and danny?) are so bad that i’ve literally driven from work in silence 🤣

• Haha
matt and mollie are honestly so charming together even though she is, like you say, a bit bland on her own. radio 1 is absolutely dire right now though, they must be paying greg james so much to try and get him to stay, he’s a cut above all of them.

the two they have doing the drive home show this week (sam and danny?) are so bad that i’ve literally driven from work in silence 🤣
I don't get the obsession Aled has with not allowing people to present shows alone. Greg James will be getting someone next....

I quite like a few on Radio 1. I like Nat O Leary, Katie Thistleton and Matt Edmondson. I guess it's my age showing but I prefer Radio 2 and at least on there it's one host at a time, which is all it ever should be.

I don't get the obsession Aled has with not allowing people to present shows alone. Greg James will be getting someone next....

I quite like a few on Radio 1. I like Nat O Leary, Katie Thistleton and Matt Edmondson. I guess it's my age showing but I prefer Radio 2 and at least on there it's one host at a time, which is all it ever should be.
Isn’t Aled the one who was on with Chris Moyles when he hosted the breakfast show? I remember him from my childhood!!

I think Aled is a terrible controller of Radio 1 and the station has massively gone downhill.

One of the issues that they have is that a lot of their “seasoned” presenters left around the same time and the newer DJs coming up the ranks are just not as good and it really shows. Gone are the days of Greg James, Clara Amfo, Scott Mills and Grimmy filling up the daily programming. Whether you liked them or not, they had experience and it showed. Their replacements are not of the same calibre and a lot of the time it’s like they’ve got the work experience kid on.
---
Isn’t Aled the one who was on with Chris Moyles when he hosted the breakfast show? I remember him from my childhood!!
Yes he was Chris’ producer back in the day!

The newer radio 1 cohort mainly just don’t have anything to say. They fill air talking but it’s just nothing. One of the female presenters (I think it was noughties show) last summer in the car I heard promoting a competition to win board masters tickets. She was going on and on about how great it is then went “oh someone said there’s surfing. Is there? There can’t be surfing at a music festival”

Yeah I was going to say this. I always got fake vibes from him & that he would happily sell his granny to succeed

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.