Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Bumblebee

Chatty Member
haydot. Completely agree. I can’t beleive how far removed some people are from being able to see that if you have no money even finding £5 to buy a bag/tin of lentils and some tomatoes and pasta to make a healthy nutritious dish. Let alone have the cash to pay the electric/gas bill.

I’m grateful every day that we can feed our own children and clothe them and have choice.

Reactions: 5

Bumblebee

Chatty Member
I work in a school with lots of low income families and also families where frankly there is neglect going on. (Alcoholic parents, parents who don’t give a F***) and it makes me so cross that they send the children (5-16) out to school without food or any money for food.
15yr old girl lying about her age to get a job and get money for food for her and her siblings!! Desperately sad times.
Being at school, schools can pick up on children that aren’t being fed and being the type of school we are we can order extra lunches or have snacks provided and food tech is quite often eaten there and then. But other schools with cashless systems aren’t quite so forgiving. I forgot to top up my daughters ‘thumb’ and she had to go without food that day as no credit and the staff won’t give credit. It if that was my daughter everyday, how many children are hiding and not going to lunch because even though mum and dad work they have barely enough money to cover the bills and can’t afford school meals?
We live in a so called nice area but yet my daughter tells me about friends who regularly don’t have packed lunch or just have a banana or something small. It’s not because they don’t bring it with them it’s because they don’t have the food at home. She has given parts of her own lunch and brought friends lunch before.

• Sad
Reactions: 5

TinaTree

Chatty Member
Ive not read the entire thread but saying go to lidl, home bargains etc and shop around many people dont have transport means to get to those places, particularly if they have young children in tow, walking 6 miles to the nearest lidl just to get cheap tin of beans is not ideal. Equally they may have minimal equipment or not have money for gas/electric so in that sense when they have just £5 left to last a week finding anything remotely edible from the corner shop may be the only alternative.

Reactions: 4

F the dust.

VIP Member
Circumstances change. Some parents may have lost their jobs? Or, the high costs of childcare in school holidays affects shopping budgets? I find your comment quite narrow minded.
Or in my case, I'm struggling to feed my kids because they've eaten £80 of shopping in about 3 days. They have 2 breakfasts, 7 snacks, lunch, dinner, and god knows how many Ice poles 🤦‍♀️🤣
Mine too! But when I think of hunger, I think of nothing or little in the day. So sad if kids are actually hungry whatever the reason😔 My lot are like locusts.

chocolate choux

VIP Member
What's the answer? What needs done to improve things? I'm on a low budget and can agree with you. Kids do need nutrients and possibly I was thinking in the moment of a child needing their tummy full. That something is better than nothing. Changes need go happen for sure! It's awful that kids aren't getting what they need and in an ideal world they should be. But it's not and a full tummy is better than hunger was my point. It shouldn't be happening but clearly is.
Yes, of course a fed child is better than a hungry child. I think what needs to be done is beyond you or me or anyone here - I’m not going to pretend to be an expert on anything, but a good place to start would be to look at what other countries are doing that makes them better than us. It’s definitely possible for the situation to be improved and I hope for the sake of everyone that this happens sooner rather than later

Anita

It’s just amazes me that people would think that parents that are struggling to feed their children need reminders of how much of a failure they should be made to feel. People have different struggles in life, but the one that it’s no doubt the hardest is to not be able to provide for your own. The fact that I shouldn’t have any children because I might not be able to feed them one day, that’s not the thought that crosses your mind when thinking about having children, a lot crosses your mind but to not be able to provide for them it’s not one of them. Unfortunately there’s a lot of children in a country like this that seem to go to bed and the only hot meal they seem to have it’s a school, so when they on school holidays it’s worrying. This government seem to have money to pay to those you do nothing and not help enough those you do! They don’t seem to look after their own first before thinking about anyone’s else. There’s the elderly that don’t seem to have enough money for heating and there’s children that go hungry. It’s the 21st century, and unfortunately it’s a reality! Life throws us into some unfortunate situations. If you can feed your children, have a roof over your head, and can afford many other things, then you should feel blessed.

chocolate choux

VIP Member
Personally I think that no matter what, children deserve to have access to adequate, nutritious food. Surely that should be considered a priority not far above safe drinking water?

Also while it’s an good point that you can buy oats/beans/bread/other staples for a very cheap price, having adequate calories is only part of the issue. The UK is ranked amongst the worst of the worlds richest countries for food security, meaning that a lot of children don’t have access to sufficient, safe and nutritious food. A child (or anyone) who lives off that sort of food alone is not going to be healthy. Deficiencies are more than feeling a bit rough - long term they can damage your organs and even lead to premature death. Nutritious foods like meat/meat substitutes, fruit, vegetables, nuts and seeds are so expensive especially when you consider the amount you pay for the calories you’ll get - but they’re needed in order to maintain a healthy diet

Also I just found out that more than a million people in the UK live in a food desert. Wow

• Heart

F the dust.

VIP Member
Personally I think that no matter what, children deserve to have access to adequate, nutritious food. Surely that should be considered a priority not far above safe drinking water?

Also while it’s an good point that you can buy oats/beans/bread/other staples for a very cheap price, having adequate calories is only part of the issue. The UK is ranked amongst the worst of the worlds richest countries for food security, meaning that a lot of children don’t have access to sufficient, safe and nutritious food. A child (or anyone) who lives off that sort of food alone is not going to be healthy. Deficiencies are more than feeling a bit rough - long term they can damage your organs and even lead to premature death. Nutritious foods like meat/meat substitutes, fruit, vegetables, nuts and seeds are so expensive especially when you consider the amount you pay for the calories you’ll get - but they’re needed in order to maintain a healthy diet

Also I just found out that more than a million people in the UK live in a food desert. Wow
What's the answer? What needs done to improve things? I'm on a low budget and can agree with you. Kids do need nutrients and possibly I was thinking in the moment of a child needing their tummy full. That something is better than nothing. Changes need go happen for sure! It's awful that kids aren't getting what they need and in an ideal world they should be. But it's not and a full tummy is better than hunger was my point. It shouldn't be happening but clearly is.

Anita

AA25D338-7A4E-4C63-ACA9-EB345F46B6A8.jpeg

The government is the problem! When news like this make the national papers......

• Angry
  • Wow
  • Haha

Bumblebee

Chatty Member
Secondary school uniform is extortionate. My daughters blazer is over £50 and the jumpers £30.
My son went to a grammar school and the three pe kits plus lab wear and summer and winter blazers and no bursary or funding. There is a reason that only certain demographics access this kind of education.
We do ok but I know we are only a few pay packets away from a crisis. So I don't judge people for struggling.

School holidays are an expensive time. You think about not only the extra food but also that’s traditionally a time for new uniform and schools shoes. I think uniform should be got rid of. If you have a tiny budget for everything and have to pay for school uniform then that budget for day to day clothing is greatly decreased. Kids can still tell who’s in the finest John Lewis/M&S uniform or the Aldi budget range. So if the clothing was from Gucci or Primark the ones who will say something will say it whether it’s about uniform or clothing.

Reactions: 3

fireflies

VIP Member
I have said that bills are crippling ppl I have said I didn't consider all factors too. It's why we discuss things to gain a full view of situations. It's ignorance to not accept others views and possibly change your own when you have considered new and all the information. I'm prepared to accept it's not black and white.
I think differences in opinion and discussion is important as we al learn new things we never consider.
Its not easy when mainstream media paints everyone on benefits as wreckless scroungers because they smoke or havea big t.v. ect.

Nhs adult dental care does cost its not like the rest of the nhs.
I dont know how parents manage on a zero hours contract
Foodbanks seem be spread out and open on specific days and times and you have to have a referal voucher.
If anyone has a community cafe locally ours vary cheap drink and cake for £1.
Times we gone there we seen homeless and families a real mix of people.
If you have big tesco locally and even local Morrisons started free fruit at the door ideal if you only need couple basics and have children in tow.
Most supermarkets reduced evenings but thats become harder to find.
Its BlackBerry season so we picking free blackberries.
Bus fares are extortionate £2 50 each way for an adult less than 3miles .
Only in London to children get free travel.
Councils seldom pay travel.
Getting uniform assistance is a postcode lottery .
I live on the border 2 different councils that are polar opposite.
1 gives free nit solution.
I spend small fortune on nit treatment every year its frustrating.
The car or household disaster has affected us some months and our income is variable due to commission.
I expect self employed parents have variable income too.

Why are kids snacking so much?

There’s your problem!
Is that to me? If so, because they're kids? They're constantly running around, in and out, then complaining they're hungry, asking if they can take one for their friends too.
I was exaggerating slightly to be fair, maybe not 7 snacks, maybe 5 🤣
Fortunately, we can afford to feed our children, but my heart really goes out to those who struggle

F the dust.

VIP Member
I won't lie I have really bothered about offending and annoying or worse upsetting ppl with my posts. Not my intention and it's a sad world we're even having to discuss it. Parenthood is hard and more when money is tight! I'm happy to admit I didn't initially consider transport into my equation. I don't have the answer on how to stop it either. But The powers that be need to really start tackling the issue. Food banks are a godsend to some..But if you can't access them for transportation reasons etc. What on earth do you do?😔

F the dust.

VIP Member
I know I keep saying it, but surely if we capped gas/electric it would leave more in the pot for food?! I know I struggle with mine at times. I think atleast in my area they stopped free school uniforms. Uniforms can be expensive. Our primary insists on their jumpers with emblem and child's initials at £8.00 each, if you have several kids it's a worry. Families need help so they can afford to feed themselves and kids good food.

Reactions: 2

Mayday

VIP Member
I think it could also be because some low income families might rely on free school meals for lunch during term-time. Also I think some do breakfast club cheap or free? I remember a documentary years ago where a mum said she relied on that so during the school holidays it was a struggle.

Peggy Lee

VIP Member
I don't want to blame anyone, but it seems like saving money for bad times is just not a thought for many people. So many I know even on good wages live hand to mouth and it's crazy as jobs have never been so insecure. Before I blow money on luxury's I have at least two years worth of savings in the bank to keep me going.

The government encourages not saving as if you saved and lost your job you wouldn't get any housing benefit or council tax benefit.

Not that I believe the BBC and think they only have an agenda.
Most people on benefits struggle to meet food bills and utilities saving is a luxury !

• Heart

cccccccmmmmmmmmm

Circumstances change for a lot of people. I have friends who were very well off. Probably earning more than mr meldrum but lost jobs and then poor mental health and a divorce. So it’s not always feckless unemployed lazy people having kids for benefits that need food banks.
In fact I think most users of food bank are that middle ground. Earn too much for government hell but due to high costs of housing etc find themselves in bad situations from time to time.
Completely agree that in some cases, a change of circumstances could be the culprit. Not 3 million though. (sorry, off topic, will leave it there).

Mustard

VIP Member
I think Tesco also does the free fruit for children while you are shopping. I think I saw it on a MoD story. Lots of people don’t seem to know how to cook, and I am thankful that I learned a bit from my mother and then became interested in cooking later on. Bills are crippling now, especially if there is only one
adult in the family. Council tax discount for one adult occupier is only 25% and it should be 50%. Why should a house full of adults, meaning three plus, pay the same as two adults. I don’t like spending a lot of money on food. I’d rather spend the money on culture or travel. I eat a lot of beans, and lentils. Jack Monroe has recently published a cookbook on how to make meals from tinned food and has donated copies to food banks. She also has a free website with the recipes.

I also do think it’s easier to live somewhere in a city where you can find many different shops and markets to use. I go to Rye Lane in Peckham for the multitude of different food stores, inc. a Chinese supermarket and African and Asian supermarkets, and on street fruit and vegetable vendors. I buy three packs of pita bread for a pound and freeze them. I stuff them with vegetables and cheese or eggs. I also buy a lot if frIzen vegetables and use them in casseroles.

Last edited: