Anyone still living with parents?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’m 24 living at home as well which I don’t mind it lets me save up quickly. My friend asked me to rent with her soon but I’d rather stay home where I can save for a house deposit as since I am saving for one my parents stopped my rent. But I’m so torn between buying a house or travelling for a year.
I’ve always wanted to travel and was going to go last year which was obviously cancelled. But just before Christmas I got my perfect job so now I’m even more torn. By June next year I’ll have enough saved to travel for a year and have enough for a house deposit for when I get back. But now I can’t decide whether I want to leave my job to travel. There is plenty of jobs in my industry so I shouldn’t struggle to get another but I love the place where I work now and I have a better salary than other places.
Any chance you can take a sabbatical?

hi hun 😊 I thought I would drop a line from a mums point of view. My daughter is 23 and still living at home (after uni and now doing masters ) and I can say I am truly delighted she still lives at home, however I really feel for her because I know she wants to move out. However we have agreed it’s better to be able to afford to buy house rather than rent and pay somebody else’s mortgage (we live in a country where house ownership is encouraged but achieving it is another matter) So I am happy for her to stay with me as long as she wants too and I let her know this and encourage her to save. Make the most of being at home, I’d give my high teeth to have the financial pressures taken off me so I can just save . All the best x

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I'm late 30s and still at home... Can't afford a house on my own and would struggle to get a mortgage with my job. I have a partner who lives quite a distance away and would ideally like to move in with him but there are a few obstacles in the way at the moment. I'm sure my parents wish I would move out, though we have the sort of setup where I have my own space and see to myself much of the time.

Reactions: 5
I moved out to go to uni 200+ miles away and never moved back, I was living with friends/my partner and didn’t want to move back to my old horrible town.

Now I’m 25 and living with my partner, however we still rent in the city and haven’t saved any money. I’d give ANYTHING for us to be able to move in with my parents, save money and spend time with family. Unfortunately they’re too far away! We live close to his family, but they’re the kind of people who would charge us rent to live with them so we wouldn’t save money that way 😂 Make the most of being with your parents, I get that space can be an issue but I’m sure it’ll all be worth it in a few years time!

l’m 24 and still live at home. Never left for university because I went to uni in my home town and it’s
not the norm to move into student accommodation in Germany (we don’t have nearly enough anyway).
I am doing my one year law repetition course from next month, which is extremely hard and does not give me much time for work, so at the moment I literally cannot afford to move out unless my parents helped massively and therefore I would still be dependent on them, so what’s the point?!

There’s no shame in living at home past your early twenties! My bf’s 27 and in a similar position to me, so he also lives at home.

both of our parents are fine with this since they know we are currently working our butts off in uni and are also saving money for the eventual move out. So it’s also fine with me.
Plus I love spending the extra time with my family, as you never know how long you have them around!

Reactions: 3
I'm 24 and still live at home and I feel exactly the same, all of my friends seem to have moved in with their boyfriends or in with their friends (I don't have a group of friends anymore just random ones) and I feel like i'm missing out so much when I see how much fun they're having in their homes and living their lives with so much freedom.

I was dreading moving back from uni as my parents divorced when I was in my second year and I was moving back for the first time since my dad moved out and I have a strained relationship with my mum (and a great one with my dad) and the move back was weird and awkward, but I didn't have much of a choice. Even though I'm 24 I don't have much freedom and I argue with my mum constantly about what I'm allowed to do and even though she let's me do whatever, it doesn't mean we don't argue about it and it makes living at home uncomfortable even though i know I'm lucky to be able to be here and save money.

I live in London and always have done and even though I have a full time job when I started at 22 straight out of uni I had zero money and was hired on a very low graduate salary so wouldn't have been able to move out, so had to put up with staying at home aiming to move as soon as I had been working for a bit. It's 2+ years later now and I'm still at home (pandemic has halted my plans also), I've since had 2 payrises and by not having a social life, not paying to commute, not paying my parents large amounts rent and just saving like crazy I have managed to save a decent amount however my dilemma living in London is I will never be able to afford a house on my salary and on my own unless it doubles (which it won't in the industry i'm in it would take years to be able to get a mortgage that would cover the cost of a 1 bed flat anywhere in London). My dilemma is wondering if I should stay at home and carry on saving (I have enough for a deposit now if I was buying a house up north), knowing that I wouldn't be able to actually afford to buy a house for a very long time or if I should just take the plunge and move and waste all my money on renting, I'd have to stop saving per month as my salary is still not huge and I wouldn't be able to afford to rent + have money left over to save at the same time and I'd have no one to move with and don't necessarily love the idea of living with strangers as I don't have friends/a boyfriend to live with, but even renting a 1 bed flat in London is SO much money compared to what I earn I just don't like the idea of it but I do feel massively like my life is being suppressed and i'm missing my 20s and all my fun years being stuck at home (also my commute to work pre pandemic is an hour and a half meaning I can never stay out too late after work as I have to make the journey home) with no hope of actually owning my own place but I also feel anxious and scared about the prospect of moving and doing things on my own even though i was so independent in uni as I've been at home for so long again now, but it's nice to know other people are in similar positions

• Heart
Reactions: 2