Anyone still living with parents?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Just feeling a bit low really as I’m 24, single and still living with parents! I am lucky that my parents are more than happy to have me, but I am so SO torn between wanting to save loads of money and wanting my freedom (I went to uni and really miss the freedom!). Also I’m not really in the position to move out, as all my friends either live with partners or the rest are not in a position to move out, and I don’t want to live with strangers really.
I do also think it’s much worse being in lockdown! It’s hard because it’s not even a personal thing, I just miss the space.

Anyone else still with parents at a similar age? What are the reasons? Thought it’d be an interesting discussion!

Reactions: 8
Heya,

I'm the same age as you, 24, and currently living at home with my parents. Admittedly, I am currently unemployed and looking for work - I graduated in late 2019 but had health issues that I was dealing with in 2020 so tbh I got into a bit of a slump and wasn't terribly productive (lockdown didn't help either lol) - I honestly felt so guilty about this but my parents have been pretty supportive and I've started to get back on track! I have anxiety disorder which I've found quite challenging at times...but I feel like I'm slowly getting back on top of things. I've got back into a routine with job applications and try to do 1 per day, and spending time on each one. To be honest, I'd be quite happy to even just do something part-time for now (flexible working would be ideal too).

I do feel that itch to move out and have my own space though but then I also wouldn't balk at staying here for a while...just to feel more sorted and stable. But I definitely want to carve out some more autonomy and independence, so hoping I get a job as I dislike having to dip into my savings. Honestly, early-mid twenties is such a weird age because some of my friends have mortgages and high-powered grad jobs whilst I feel a bit aimless and adrift in comparison. I'm also single at the moment but tbh relationships haven't been at the forefront of my mind right now what with Covid derailing everything! At the same time, I do enjoy dating....but realistically I feel like I ought to focus on myself first lmao.

Honestly, though I think it's pretty common to still live with your parents at this age especially in many other countries where it's more normalised, I guess? I do feel like there's a big emphasis on moving out into your own place ASAP in the UK and US when this may not be realistic.

Reactions: 1
I lived back and forth with my parents for years (around uni etc). I moved out to live with my husband (well, boyfriend at the time).
Honestly, enjoy it! Make the most of paying no bills and seeing the family every day. I feel that I was so eager to save and move that I didnt really appreciate it xx

Reactions: 10
I’m 29 this year & still living at home. All my friends are either already living with their boyfriends/partners or in another city. I’m single.
I keep having meltdowns, when I’m feeling down in general, about still living at home but in reality, im not in a position to move out just yet financially - I’m wanting to buy & with me being on my own, it’s obviously going to take a bit longer to save a deposit etc.
ive Started to realise I’m very lucky to still be able to live at home with my parents as some people don’t get that luxury& have to rent whilst trying to save for a deposit which must be so much harder!
honestly, don’t stress yourself. I think it’s a lot more common to live at home & think the pandemic will have increased that too & for some reason, you feel more external pressures to move out these days (social media is bad for this) when in reality, you should just do it when you’re ready & it’s comfortable for you ☺

• Heart
Reactions: 11
I lived with my parents for the majority of the time until I was 28. Went away for uni and moved out renting with friends for about 18 months when I was 25 but it made the most sense financially to take up their offer of living with them for pretty minimal contributions so I could afford to save up to buy a place of my own, which I did 3 years ago. At times I felt exactly like you’ve described, especially when I had friends who had lived independently since uni living their best lives or friends settling down with their partners... it is easy to fall into the trap of comparison and to feel like you are being left behind but it’s not a race.
In all honesty, although it was frustrating to give up some of my freedom and ‘miss out’ on some of the fun I’d had living away, in the long run I don’t think anything will compare to having spent time getting to know my parents as adults and be around them so much.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I moved out at 22 but so many of my friends are single and 30 living at home. It’s more than common.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Don’t feel too bad still living at home.Use it as a time to save money and treat yourself to things you want before your forced to pay all your hard earned to rent mortgages council tax water bill electric and council tax.

Reactions: 2
Just save like crazy. A friend at work still lives with her parents and she's 35. I couldn't move out quick enough but that because my mums boyfriend was a dick and I refused to live with him. My eldest is in his last year at uni and he's under orders to get any job once he's graduated and save like mad.

From someone who moved out as a teenager but is in their 30s now still renting (still is the wrong word, stuck is more like it, still saving the deposit rent keeps getting higher it never helps🤦😂)
SAVE & buy!! Then move out! It's a tit world atm your very lucky

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I moved out at 23 but I’ve come to live back with my Mum last year due to splitting up with my now ex (who I moved in with at 23). I’m saving for a house deposit now rather than renting my own place. She’s more than happy to let me save; I help around the house loads with cleaning/cooking/buying food/bits for the house etc.

I do feel stupid sometimes through comparing myself to others but at the end of the day, it’s my life and I’m not harming anyone. I do have the odd cry about my life not working out how I planned it. But there’s no fixed life narrative that everyone needs to follow! Like others, use this time to save save save - whether it’s for a home, travel or just to make the most of not spending money on rent etc x

• Heart
32 and at home 🙋‍♀️ I moved home after legging it from a toxic relationship at christmas 2019. It was only supposed to be for 3 months and then the old global pandemic hit. At 24 please please dont worry about being at home especially in the current climate. Cherish the time with your family while you are there ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I’m 29 and still living at home, due to family circumstances and things that have happened in the past.

I would love to move out but it would meanmy family having to leave our home we currently rent, which my 82 year old loves, so I won’t do that to her.
Like others said, just appreciate the extra time with family and the opportunity to save / living at home all this time has meant I have nearly £40k in savings, so at least at a time when I can/do move out, I’ve put myself in a bloody good position!

everyone’s life is different - it’s not a race :) x

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I’m 33 in 3 months and have been back at home 2 years this year. This is my 2nd time back home and persevering with buying my own place on my own! I think no matter what your age it feels the same. Some days when my mum is winding me up I’m on right move looking at rentals 😂. I have to remind myself I’m lucky to be in this position and try and focus on my main goal. Don’t worry about being at home we all do things at different times. I’m a nightmare at comparing to my friends etc.

I'm 21 and live with my mum - I'm in such a lucky position as i live with my mum and she has allowed me to stay with her rent free and then pay the money I would pay in rent to my savings account. I'm currently looking to move out though

I’m 26 and living with my parents, never moved out even for university. Buying a house with my partner in a few months which is only a 5 minute drive but I’m actually sad to move out. I’ve developed such a good relationship with my parents during the pandemic so I’m not 100% looking forward to leaving although I’m excited to live with my partner for the first time.

Honestly, I wish I could move in with my parents right now. I'm 23 and moved out at 18.

I'm currently going through a break up but still living with my ex due to the tenancy, and I'm waiting for my referencing checks to go through in a new property. I'll be living alone and although yes I can afford it and make it work, I'm going to struggle. On top of that, all the emotional stress I'm under.

I wish I could go live with my parents for a few months to get my head back on and settle down. I can't because they split since I moved out and both rent separately.

Enjoy it while you have it :)

Reactions: 4
I can totally relate. 27 (single and no kids) and living at home with the parents. I moved out at 19 for uni and came back home aged 24 to save up for a mortgage.

I feel torn between wanting to move out ASAP just for more privacy and wanting to have my own space (apart from my bedroom) and wanting to live at home forever:ROFLMAO: I love my parents to bits, our house is lovely, amazing street, great neighbours. I’ll be heartbroken when it comes to moving out. But I am so ready for a house of my own to do what I want with it.

Reactions: 4
I moved out when I was 18 and got my own flat, had that for 3 years before going to Spain for the summer when I was 21 and giving the flat up, then when returned from Spain moved in with my mum and stepdad where I stayed until I was 28. I then stayed at my boyfriends alot before we eventually moved in together but I loved living at home, I have such a good relationship with my mum and stepdad. I often felt like you did though. But don't stress, you are still young and there is no timeline to how you should be doing life, it happens when it happens. Enjoy your time at home with your parents while you are still there :)

I’m 24 living at home as well which I don’t mind it lets me save up quickly. My friend asked me to rent with her soon but I’d rather stay home where I can save for a house deposit as since I am saving for one my parents stopped my rent. But I’m so torn between buying a house or travelling for a year.
I’ve always wanted to travel and was going to go last year which was obviously cancelled. But just before Christmas I got my perfect job so now I’m even more torn. By June next year I’ll have enough saved to travel for a year and have enough for a house deposit for when I get back. But now I can’t decide whether I want to leave my job to travel. There is plenty of jobs in my industry so I shouldn’t struggle to get another but I love the place where I work now and I have a better salary than other places.