Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.
By way of an update the mole they’ve removed was found to be pre-cancerous, so I’ve got to go back and get some more skin and tissue removed but then that’ll hopefully be the end of it. Very glad I went to have it checked now. My sunbathing years are over, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing. Just need to get a bit better with the fake tan.

• Heart
Reactions: 8

Welshgal

VIP Member
Update:
I've just come back from the clinic. I explained everything and they had a look at it and pretty much immediately told me it looked very normal. I could still have it removed if I wanted but they warned me that a) even if a test of the tissue showed some bad cells, it would be classed as plastic surgery and my insurance would not pay and b) it would leave a white mark or even scar, so no reason to get it for aesthetic reasons.

I feel so relieved ! Will keep an eye on it of course and I will ask my GP about regular check ups but for now I can just let it be.

• Heart
Reactions: 4

calmyourritas

VIP Member
I had one removed on the NHS - it was a simple procedure. Local anaesthetic, in and out in an hour or so. I was worried about the anaesthetic but honestly it was fine, just a tiny prick and then I couldn’t feel a thing. They stitched it up and had stitches removed in around 10 days.

It was cancerous so I’m really glad I did - I’m now waiting for other tests and removal of more tissue. Definitely get it removed if you’re concerned!

• Heart

Everybody

Chatty Member
Seen by dermatologist and they said mine were perfectly normal. I didn’t need to have any removed, which was great. Just shows importance of not reading horror stories and worrying yourself to death, and to leave it to the professionals

• Heart

Raininvain

VIP Member
Yes one on the back of my neck and one on my back. With the neck one it didn't hurt when they did it as the area was numbed but when the anaesthetic wore off it hurt like bloody hell. So have some painkillers at the ready. I had to go back as well and have the 2 little stiches out.
I cant remember the one on the back causing any problems. The Dr had two massive black eyes and I thought it was strange someone would turn up for work as a Dr in that state. I asked if he had been fighting and he said not!

Reactions: 3

Bluetomato

I’ve had 2 removed, one on my neck and one on my back. The one on my neck, like yours, kept getting caught on my necklace. It also became itchy and annoying so my gp removed it. I had a bit of local anaesthetic injected into the skin around it and they used a razor to basically shave it off. I felt no pain and they put a little dressing on it afterwards. I don’t have a scar from it.
The one on my back was cut out and due to the way they remove them, I do have a scar. But it’s on my back so I can’t see it 😄

Gertrude

Chatty Member
I’ve also had two removed. One on my chest, the other on my bum crack, haha. Both done in a mole clinic privately. The NHS wait was far too long as they weren’t cancerous or anything. I wanted them removed ASAP once I’d made my decision.

Best thing I ever did and only wish I’d had them removed sooner as they both made me feel super self conscious. Like the above poster, the area around them was injected with local anaesthetic. No pain either and I am a wimp too :)

Had a bit of scarring on the one on my chest, but using palmers skin therapy oil helped with that. This is a great body moisturiser anyway FYI as I’ve continued to use it. :)

Happyvalley

VIP Member
I’ve had one removed, I couldn’t get it done on the NHS but I went private at our local hospital. Phoned for a consultation and was booked the next day, no messing. Cost me £150 and was the best money I ever spent. Good luck it won’t hurt and you’ll feel much better xx

Reactions: 2

Motherofpugs

Chatty Member
I had what I thought was a black mole removed on my thigh privately but it turned out to be a thrombosed angioma which was mimicking a melanoma. I was worried sick at the time as it did look worrying and very relieved when I got the results. I have quite a lot of small moles so I didn’t even realise that it wasn’t a mole. I also have a mole on my neck that I might get removed not because it’s particularly worrying but because it sometimes gets a bit irritated and itchy because of where it is.

Anyway getting it removed was no bother. Local anaesthetic, cut out and stitches which were then removed after a week or two.

• Heart
Thanks this helps a lot. I’m really upset because I don’t know what it is. I am just recovering from COVID too. I’m so scared that I’m going to have skin cancer.
Better to get it removed and know, than leave it and could be much worse. That’s how I had to think about it. Have a chat about your fears with the consultant when you see them, they’ll hopefully be able to put your mind at ease a bit. Also my GP said they just put everyone who goes to see them with a suspect mole on the skin cancer pathway because they have no way of knowing what it is, so it’s the only option. Easier said than done (I know) but try not to worry x

• Heart

Raininvain

VIP Member
Just a little bit from what I can remember, not anything too severe.
Not as bad as a tattoo, no where near. Nothing to be concerned about.I'd get it done, they are a nuisance, moles and warts etc.X

Everybody

Chatty Member
If you cite you've seen a change in the mole particularly, you are more likely to get referred. Although you will probably not get a fast track referral without any 'red flag' symptoms/if the GP isn't overly concerned.
Thanks to all.
I actually spoke to my GP today, because there was marked changes (2 different colours) and the darker part is raised, I’m being fast tracked to dermatology. He said because of the changes, it’s going to be on the potential skin cancer pathway- so now I’m really anxious. (I have bad health anxiety anyway)
I’ll just have to wait and see I guess. If it wasn’t for seeing this forum- I never would have even bothered to check it out- so thanks to the creator I guess!

• Heart

Noseyoldcow

VIP Member
Had one off at my Drs as they do a special clinic once a fortnight I was surprised how easy and fairly painless it was.
It was one right under my boob and caught on my bra all the time!

Bluetomato

Thanks both, reassuring to know. Did the injection of local anaesthetic hurt?
The one on my neck hardly hurt at all, just a tiny scratch. The one on my back was quite stingy as they had to inject the anaesthetic deeper into the skin. It was ok though, and I’m a whimp 🤣

Oh that’s good to know!
haven’t had mine yet, Monday ☹
I'd just like to give some reassuration in regards to skin cancer. I come from a hot country so know a lot of people who've had moles and skin lesions removed or checked out.

It's super rare to have aggressive skin cancer and like another member mentioned skin cancer tends to be very slow growing. They normally get it all with the first removal or they'll ask you back and do a second removal of skin surrounding the area.

I know the word cancer sparks fear but honestly skin cancer is nothing too worry yourself about unless they tell you too worry. The best thing to do is just to keep an eye on any moles. And tbh as long as you use sunscreen and don't stay in the sun for long periods you will be fine.

• Heart

MilkAndTwoSugars

VIP Member
I had one on my underarm removed by my GP, didn't hurt a bit.
Same, I'm so glad I got it done. Mine was the size of a sweetcorn (but brown), and every time I wore sleeveless tops people would ask what's stuck under my arm *blush*. Did u have any stitches? I had two xx