Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Thechubbymoaner

VIP Member
Yes! I work in a 'responsible' position in a university and sometimes I get mistaken for a student. It's really is annoying, especially when another staff member who doesn't know me has a go at me over something silly (like being somewhere students shouldn't be). I also struggle dealing with students as they don't see me as being in a position of authority.

Reactions: 4

chocolate choux

VIP Member
I get it a lot, it used to bother me massively as I felt self conscious but I’m starting to appreciate it now I’m 26. I have a baby face, am short and slim (age 12-13 clothes :ROFLMAO:), don’t wear make up and my acne is only just beginning to improve - so I understand why people would assume I’m younger

I used to work in retail and it was hammered into me that you should ask for ID unless you’re absolutely certain, because you as an individual would be charged and fined, not the company. So I understand why cashiers are eager to ID. I remember a ridiculous situation in an airport alcohol shop a couple of years ago, though. I picked up a bottle of rum which the cashier took off me, accusing me of being underage. I was in a bloody airport, of course I had ID, and I wouldn’t get very far if I tried to run off with it, would I?!😂 This was in departures. She was shocked that I was in my mid-twenties and couldn’t stop remarking on it until I left

LemonLife

VIP Member
Recently we had someone fail the challenge 25 at work. It was in the newspaper. The place etc. People are scared to ask because someone might get offended,. But that person got sacked and the store got a huge fine. i don't get a shit If i offend someone. I ask because I don't want to be the one who gets it wrong. They look at it as challenge 25/30 so someone underage doesn't get a knife or something else they shouldn't get... Look at it that you look young for your age and count it as a blessing not a curse.. But people have their jobs on the line and I know that. I really don't care if you are 30 and look 17...
I really don’t mind cashiers asking I am perfectly used to it. But I HATE the expression that it is a blessing. It is really not a blessing to have someone patronise you every moment of your life 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Heart

Bluerabbit123

It has its pros and cons.. I work in the nhs and a patient said to me the other day I look like I should be in school, I'm 26 in 2 weeks! I find patients definitely dont take me seriously and it's frustrating. Apparently I act older than i am and I'm not sure if that's a sub conscious thing because of how i look or if i would have done that anyway. I'm sure I'll be happy about it when I'm 40 😂

• Haha

Magnolia4

The postman rang the bell today as he had a letter my husband had to sign for. As I opened the door he asked if my dad was home.

🙄
I get it. I look young, I’m 155cm which also doesn’t help. Still f*cking frustrating, annoying, embarrassing. I’m 32 years old 🥴 I feel like I’ll never be taken seriously

Bektin

I'm 38 and I still get asked for ID at times. I do look young and have a very slight build. Last year I was buying a child rail ticket for my son for travel the next day, and the lady selling it reminded me that I needed to make sure I travelled with an adult for it to be valid, it took me a few seconds to realise that she thought the child ticket was for me.

• Haha

Sunflower91

VIP Member
It depends what mood I’m in and the situation. With supermarkets I usually take it as a bit of a compliment unless I’m moody, then it’s just frustrating, especially since I have a couple of quite visible tattoos (and you have to be over 18 for them)

it’s really annoying in a work context though. Especially combined with being a woman in a male dominated industry. People assume far too quickly that I’m a receptionist, junior member of staff or new grad when I’m actually quite senior. Every time we bring on a new company or hire a new wave of graduates it’s like I have to battle for respect all over again.

Kim Mild

VIP Member
I’m 30 and I constantly have alcohol snatched off me in the supermarket and held to ransom until I show them my ID. I’ve had 18 rated games taken off me and even a pair of scissors. Ridiculous.
I find it's the older staff who ask for I.d ,I always try to buy alcohol from younger staff, I find them a better judge of age.

SpookyLumberjack

VIP Member
Yep. In my my mid thirties now and still sometimes get given a cheaper bus fare (I correct them), asked for ID when buying alcohol, people tend to talk down to you a bit. I was in Tesco not too long ago and an elderly lady asked me what stationary I use at school because she was trying to find something for her granddaughter, it was so cute but I actually looked behind me to check she was speaking to me haha. I helped her of course.

When I was 23 I moved to London and felt so grown up until I went to buy a 15 rated DVD and the cashier wouldn't sell it to me. I was so ashamed.

I taught abroad for a bit and on the day before school began I went in for the first time for a meeting and as I walked in I was ushered to the school uniform pick up line with the students. I was 30. My (year 11) students looked older than me.

I had to give a passport photo into my boss at a new job for an ID card, I had tied my hair up for it which I never usually do and she said: "Ohh how old were you in this? Awwww you look so sweet!" "...I had it taken 3 days ago." AWKWARD SILENCE.

So yeah. Annoying sometimes in work situations as I'm often treated like a recent graduate in new jobs by people who are younger than me which really gets boring but I don't mind it if I get to look young for a while longer. The general concensus is I look about 22 now so that's perfect!

Last edited:
  • Wow
I'm in my mid-20s and keep getting told that I look 18. Am currently working fulltime and always get asked if I'm studying. I do agree about people being patronising at times too.

seaborgium

When I had just turned twenty eight I was assumed to be in my mid-40s by someone and my then boyfriend my son (he was six months older) I did not look THAT old, but did make me think about myself and how I looked, which combined with depression, low self image and body dysmorphia I had for at least ten years by then, sent me spiralling downwards for a while.

These days I'm happier in myself, I can actually smile, take the odd selfie, and it shows that I am content in my own skin. People cannot believe I'm almost 42, some assume I'm even late 20s. I was in Sainsburys last year buying cider for a sausage casserole, and the staff member went from chatty to rude in 30 seconds! Assumed I was under 25, couldn't prove I wasn't, and gave me all sorts of crap for looking young! I complained, as shocking customer service, but got told well we do need to check if someone is under 25 (that wasn't my issue their attitude was).

• Wow

Titntat

VIP Member
I moved to another building to cover a manager. One of the staff thought I was on work experience. Started slagging me off to my face 😂 Awks for them. I just laughed it off, someone from my old building had been talking to me about them, weve never got on.

• Wow

MakkaPakka

VIP Member
Haven’t had a problem with it, just one time a woman who sees me regularly thought i was in year 15 when i was 21.
I would love to look young when I’m older ngl😂
Yeah I'm early 40s, have always looked younger (I'm also pretty short) and I quite like it now. Someone said the other day "you must've been a really young mum"..I was 34 when I had my son, so...no :ROFLMAO:

• Haha

Prinfluencer

Yep I look younger than my 35 years in fact I think I can pass for early 20s. I've definitely had judgemental looks on the bus from older people when with my daughter ( you know those of the kids having kids opinion)
I like it was people knock on the door asking for the homeowner also 😂

Rlaw1978

VIP Member
I’m in my late 30s but could pass for early 20s. My husband often gets comments and jokes about being a cradle snatcher 😂

annanuttall

VIP Member
I'm in my late 30s and this happen to me a few years ago at the second to last local election:
I got a knock on my door, I was just on my way out and this man (I assume a local councillor) said this, '' Hello, is your mummy and daddy here?'' In a childish babyish voice, the kind you put on when talking to very small children.
I was like, really, yes I look young and I'm short - 4ft10 but there's no need to talk to me like this.
He was taken back by my outburst and I was so hacked off I didn't really listen to what he had to say. I didn't slam the door or anything but I made it clear I was impressed.
Told my husband later and thought it was hilarious!

• Wow

Babyyoda88

VIP Member
I’m in my early 30s and I’ve always been mistaken for being way younger, I’ve found it’s stopped people taking me as seriously as they do others, I’m always branded as “one of the young ones” I certainly don’t act immature.

I was buying something from the shops and the woman on the till asked what my job was and I said teacher and she said you don’t look old enough to be a teacher (I was 28 so hardly that young). Some people may find it a compliment I actually find it patronising.

Reactions: 3

Trixabellee9393

Yep I’m 27 and just started a job at a supermarket with a load of 18/19 year olds and after like a few weeks they found out my age and were like wtf thought u were our age! Haha. I have a baby voice (which I hate hate hate no one takes what I’m saying very seriously due to it) so that doesn’t help and I’m quite small boned so look a bit small even tho I’m an average height! X

ChloChlo

VIP Member
The Daily Mail occasionally runs those “Everyone thinks my daughter is my sister article” and you’ve got some 38 year old who woman who dresses like a teen, and looks like a 48 year old in the face 🙊
Mums groups and ladies banter groups often do "How old do I look?" threads along with a procession of really heavily filtered pictures making it impossible to guess!

• Haha