Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Flossy2019

VIP Member
Its not even that bad you know. I was anxious my whole pregnancy but once you are actually in labour its not as bad as you think. Take the drugs they offer dont try and be brave if you are struggling take the epidural take the gas and air 😂 i was induced it was horrible i was fed up of midwives sticking their hands up me 😂😂 like someone said leave your dignity at the door. I had forceps delivery dont even remember having epidural i was that out of it 😂😂 dont worry and just fight through the pain. Half way through i was crying saying i couldnt do it and begged for a c section but they ignored me obviously. You will be fine. Recovery is worse 🤣🤣 best of luck xx

Reactions: 1

imaginedragon83

VIP Member
I loved my hypnobirthing classes and the whole theory of it but when the contractions started I just forgot everything and just did what my body told me to do. Anytime I heard "listen to your body" before I was in labour i just thought...yeah that will not happen...but it did. Instincts just kick in. Stay calm and you CAN do it
I actually cannot wait to do it again. As someone already said, it's the most amazing experience, and my baby got stuck resulting in forceps and an episiotomy without any pain relief so it's not like my labour was a walk in the park. I still (as strange as it sounds) enjoyed every minute and when the doctor asked me the next day would I do it again I said yes of course, he said usually thr morning after a birth he gets told no!
But good luck and relax and enjoy. Its magical and the start of a fantastic new chapter.
Im broody now 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️

imaginedragon83

VIP Member
I remember my midwife telling me the point where you really feel you cant go on is "transition" and it's the worst bit and once you get through that you're nearing the end...I'm not sure I believed her but afterwards looking back i could pinpoint when transition started and ended. And it didnt last long, for me at least

Suzesnooze

VIP Member
Hypnobirthing often works really well. But also have in the back of your mind that if that isn’t cutting it, you aren’t going to get a medal for doing it drug free so analgesia is an option. The more relaxed you are, the better your hormonal response will be, and therefor the smoother labour will be. Oxytocin (the hormone that causes contractions) is inhibited by adrenaline. So if that means that at the time you feel you need an epidural or gas and air, go with it. Don’t be bullied into thinking that the only way of giving birth properly is drug free.

I say this as a midwife whose heart breaks for the women I see postnatally who are giving themselves a really hard time because they ‘failed’. An epidural isn’t failing, a c section isn’t failing, a forceps delivery isn’t failing, pethidine isn’t failing.
I deeply regretted a midwife talking me into pethidine with my second child. It made me feel out of it as if I was drunk. I wish I had stayed off drugs same way I did in my first birth. However, that’s not to say I think less of anyone who has pain relief it’s just it didn’t agree with me in fact I didn’t even like gas and air, hated the taste it left in my mouth 🙈!

TriviaNewtonJohn

VIP Member
Positive birth company online hypnobirthing course made me feel so much better cos I understand what was going on and why it was important for me to be calm. Get your birthing partner to watch the videos as well.

• Heart

onmylunchbreak

Hypnobirthing helped me massively, and I had water births. Follow your instincts, if you get in the pool and it doesn’t feel good, get out. If you want to move about, do so. During labour I go very quiet, and like to be left alone to get on with it. That’s why I had water births, I liked the space and privacy being in the pool gives you. I found getting through the contractions fine, just need to keep calm and stay on top of your breathing. The worst bit is the crowning, which funnily enough nobody talks about. I won’t lie that HURTS in my experience, although I didn’t even have gas with mine so that may help. The burning doesn’t last more than a few minutes. As soon as it’s over and you have your baby, it’s worth every second. I loved the process of birthing.

Vermilion

My due date is in Two weeks so it could happen any day now.
I’ve had some mild contractions now and everytime it happens I sort of panic. It’s a mixture of being scared of Labour but mostly it’s about what comes after and I do feel a bit guilty about not being totally excited about having a baby.
we tried for a baby and wanted it but during the whole pregnancy I haven’t felt fully excited about the prospect of becoming a mum... ugh, mum guilt already starting.

Anyway, about birth and anxiety, yes, I was anxious and I still am to some extent. However, I also know that I can not control what’s going to happen and how. I can only believe in my body and know, that even if the experience is bad, the time is limited you know? It’s not going to last forever, there will be an end. And hopefully I will then feel the joy of holding my baby in my arms.
With all the covid19 stuff going on I haven’t really felt like venturing into hypnobirthing but I guess I know the main mindset.
Try to believe in you and your body, you will know what to do and you will have a midwife there with you to guide you along.

we can do this!!!

Albs

Have a plan if it makes you feel better, just don’t set your heart on it. I was convinced i was gonna have a water birth with no pain relief. That soon went out the window when it was thigh labour. Asoon as i walked through the doors the midwife in triage said ‘i think you need an epidural’ it was music to my ears after 17hours at home feeling like paving slaps was being thrown on my thighs.
It’s the fear of the unknown that’s the worst, i felt exactly the same closer to my due date.
Once labour starts the fear sort of goes, because your body is ready to it do. Good luck.

Death2unicorns

My labour was absolutely fine, had an epidural at 4cm as I was getting put on the induction drip and midwife warned me the pain would ramp up a few notches, didn’t feel a thing after that, including the pushing stage/crowning, I look back on the experience fondly, there is different pain relief options available if you are not coping and it works well for most people, you will be fine x

Jdottt13

Hi, with my first I was also apprehensive about going into labour & what it was going to feel like and whether I would be able to cope. I found that the closer I got to my due date the more I just wanted something to start I was feeling so big and fed up it’s actually a relief when the pains start! Looking back I think I kind of used elements of hypnobirthing without really researching/practising it. Breathing through each contraction and imagining them as waves whilst keeping a steady rhythm on my birthing ball were what helped me the most! I managed 10 hours at home before going to the hospital. One piece of advice would be to continue to drink and eat little and often in labour. I didn’t because I was feeling so sick - I was really dehydrated (midwife practically forced me to drink a jug of water once she’d tested my wee lol) and eat regularly to keep your strength up 😃 I was sick towards the end but I did feel better after lol. Best of luck & remember there’s always pain relief if it all gets a bit much xx

Notgonnalie

VIP Member
Anyone worried about birth labour and all things pregnancy you need to read the positive birth book by milli hill. You can get it on kindle and read it on your phone! It will give you the confidence and go through all possible eventualities.

birth plans are controversial but milli explains the importance of going through various plans so that if you don’t get your plan A you have discussed what’s important to you if you go on to give birth plan B,C or even D. While we can’t control when it happens we can have discussions about what is important to us like who do you want to cut the cord, do you want to check baby’s sex yourself or do you want the midwife to tell you, how do you feel about pain relief, do you want them to offer you pain relief or would you feel better if it was you who asked if u felt you needed it.Do you want certain music to be played. I think it’s so important to go through all the various things that could happen so that if something does you feel that you have had a think about it already and what’s important to you can be considered.

I was so confident in giving birth to my second after reading the book and I didn’t get my plan A but I believe I didn’t suffer birth trauma because I had discussed a plan B and what it would look like so I was satisfied that I still had a say in my birth!
You can do it and you will do it! Enjoy it it’s one of the most amazing journeys you will ever be on! Xxxx

BettyCrocker

VIP Member
You will be fine. Honestly, just try to put it to the back of your mind for now, there’s no point worrying about it so just try to enjoy the last weeks of your pregnancy.

I’d say to take it as it comes on the day, don’t try to plan it or have your heart set on particular things because it just adds unnecessary pressure.
Give in to what your body wants to do, yes there is pain involved but it’s not as bad as you expect and it’s unlike anything you will have ever felt before. If you need pain relief then just ask for it.
i would recommend a birthing pool if this is an option, works wonderfully!

all the best xx

Unknown1

Hi everyone thanks for all the advice, the section was really successful and not half as bad as I thought it would be, in fact it was absolutely fine!
Congratulations Mama. I’m glad it wasn’t bad as you thought. Take your time to heal and accept help 💞

Suzesnooze

VIP Member
I found my first childs birth the easiest as you don't know what's coming or what to expect! I was more scared with subsequent births as I knew what to expect!

I went to relaxation classes with my first which taught how to breath through the contractions. That really helped me. I stayed very calm, I didn't make any noise or scream or whatever. I also walked about a lot and would go and sit on the toilet when I had a contraction (i don't know why!). I was induced with my first which apparently makes contractions more painful. I didn't have any pain relief, not even gas and air but I did have to have forceps and ventouse. The recovery from that was painful.

Good luck!

Sven

VIP Member
Just remember you can do it!! You’re made for it. Hypnobirthing is great even if you end up needing intervention. Keep calm, remember the end goal ❤

Sln2404

I’ve given birth twice and would do it again in a heartbeat, it’s the most incredible experience 💖 both occasions I only had gas & air as I wanted to be able to get up and shower quickly and be ‘with’ it. But you don’t get a medal for no drugs so do what you feel is right for you x

Suzesnooze

VIP Member
So I’m actually having a planned c section tomorrow, does anyone have any experience of this? I keep feeling a mixture of excitement and absolute nervousness and keep crying. I think it’s the waiting that’s awful!
Having had an emergency C-section and a planned one the planned one was 100 times better!

Not sure how much things have changed since mine but they normally shave you first on the ward then you walk down to theatre and bring a pillow with you. You go into theatre and sit on the side of the bed holding the pillow to your front while they give you the spinal (I don't remember any pain) then they lay you down on the operating table and check you're numb. Then your partner is allowed to come in and sits by your head. They put a sheet up where you can't see then they get the baby out. It doesn't take long at all. Then while they're sewing you up you get to see the baby etc. Go to recovery for half an hour then they wheel you and baby back to the ward.

Good luck!

AmberSpyglass

VIP Member
Get your breathing techniques right , have plenty of energy giving snacks and fluid on hand because you might well be knackered!

Mums84

VIP Member
I found that I screamed and had a terrible labour with my first baby as I was so frightened of the pain. Second time round I knew what the contractions were all about, they come and they go and every one brings you closer to meeting your baby 😍 Second time ended in an emergency c section and I found the recovery easier than vaginal delivery so don't worry how the baby arrives just as long as it's ok.