Anti depressants

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hi all, I’ve been on 50mg of sertraline since the end of November 2019, the first 2 weeks were horrendous. My GP warned me that they would make me feel worse before they make me feel better - She wasn’t wrong!
I haven’t experienced weight gain, I lost weight in the first few weeks. I do get really restless legs & jaw clenching. My family have noticed that I’m not as emotional as I was before (I was constantly crying). I actually can’t remember when I last shed a tear. I almost feel abit disconnected from everything - if that makes sense?
The last week or so the negative thoughts have been creeping back in again so wondering if I should increase my dose or just see how it goes.
Please don't do anything before discussing this with your health practitioner. You've been on them for a while now so perhaps they're just not the right ones for you? Again, discuss with your health practitioner as there may be something better suited for you.

Reactions: 1
@Allthehashtags as @Blackbird said, discussing with your health practitioner is the best way to go. I've tried several anti-depressants and had the best results with sertraline (100mg), but there are many others. And I've noticed even a difference between manufacturers. But the biggest help was combining anti-depressants with therapy. I don't know if you have access to it, but for me that was very important in the beginning. Now, I see my therapist only when necessary, and it's been a while.

I didn't have any negative physical or psychological effects like weight gain with sertraline, but I remember when I first started taking paroxetine, it was like I was going to throw up and took huge amounts of speed (I suppose :D), but I honestly didn't care as I felt "alive" and as "my old self" after a long time. These effects wore off after about 2 weeks, I can't remember anymore. I had to stop taking it due to some unforeseen events, the depression came back with a vengeance, and for what ever reason they put me on sertraline that time and I'm glad they did.

Just going to throw my story out there because I wish I’d heard something like this years ago... I’ve struggled with my mental health for most of my life (stemming from a traumatic childhood). It finally got to the stage where I was an adult and was struggling, so I went to the doctor, who prescribed antidepressants. I tried them for a few weeks, felt no different, went back to the doctor and got a prescription for a different antidepressant. This went on for SIX YEARS. I tried a huge list of them, tried them for the recommended few weeks/months, took them consistently, listened to my doctor, did everything I was supposed to do. But I never felt any better. I felt like I was completely broken, because antidepressants are supposed to help with depression but they weren’t helping me. I felt incurable and lost hope

After six years of this I stopped functioning and had a mental breakdown. It was only at this point that I saw a psychiatrist and was put on an atypical antipsychotic which is normally used to treat schizophrenia. No, I’m not schizophrenic, but it worked! It wasn’t a miracle cure by any means, but it helped level my mood out which had a wonderful knock on effect. I still have struggles (medication can’t cure situational tit unfortunately, nor can it erase trauma) but being on this medication has been the best thing I’ve ever done for my mental health

Just wanted to post this in case anyone else was finding that antidepressants weren’t helping despite trying different ones/dosages and feels as incurable as I did. There are other options, talk to your doctor and don’t give up hope
Thanks for sharing this. My partner has had a breakdown and is on sertaline and was using diazapam ad hoc, but how now been switched to an "anti psychitic" instead of the diaz (something beginning with Q) but to be used as an anxiety relief instead, was wondering how common it was to use them for something else.

How is everyone coping with the lockdown? I have to have doctor's appointments over the phone which aren't the same :( I've run out of meds and have put off sorting them out as I'm not sure they even helped (Started new ones)