Anti depressants

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I remember taking Sertraline 50mg. It made absolutely no difference to my depression at the time. However it made me feel horrifically suicidal in the first two weeks of taking it.

Although what I will say is everyone responds differently to various medications. Just because it didn’t work for me, doesn’t mean that it won’t work for others. Antidepressants are very much about trial and error. Different types at different dosages. It can be a lengthy process that is hard to maintain if you struggle with very severe low mood or anxiety.

Therapy is a really good idea, particularly CBT. A combination of medication and therapy has also been found to be effective.

Everyone is different.

Has anyone got any experience?
I’ve plucked up the courage to book an appointment this week.
I am worried about putting on weight (I have lost a lot), and side effects like changing my personality/moods - I have a toddler and don’t want it to affect how I look after her. I’m feeling so low right now that I feel I need more help.

Reactions: 1
I am worried about putting on weight (I have lost a lot), and side effects like changing my personality/moods - I have a toddler and don’t want it to affect how I look after her. I’m feeling so low right now that I feel I need more help.
Sorry to hear you’re feeling like this but well done on asking for more help... that can be the most difficult bit. Speak to your GP about your concerns regarding possible side effects. If it’s your first time taking the medication they’ll realistically ask you to come back in for a review within a few weeks. They can take time to balance out in your system but if you feel like they’re not agreeing with you after a few weeks you can ask for them to be changed to a different type or dosage. It can sometimes take a few attempts to get the right balance.

Hope you’re feeling better soon x

Hi Sven I’m currently taking sertaline 50mg and have been for the last 2 years. Honestly they have changed my life for the better. My mum has recently started taking them too after an attempted suicide. I haven’t experienced any weight gain from them and they defiantly don’t change your personality or mood. They just ‘take the edge off’ and helps you think more clearly. I would 100% recommend them but that is just my opinion. My sister doesn’t agree with them so sometimes this can be a difficult discussion in our family however since my mum tried to overdose she is happy for her to try anything. MAKE SURE YOU DO NOT DRINK ALCOHOL IN THE FIST 4 WEEKS of taking them. I made this mistake and had negative thoughts on a night out. Told my boyfriend and we went straight home. It’s only why they kick in though :)

Hi Sven I’m currently taking sertaline 50mg and have been for the last 2 years. Honestly they have changed my life for the better. My mum has recently started taking them too after an attempted suicide. I haven’t experienced any weight gain from them and they defiantly don’t change your personality or mood. They just ‘take the edge off’ and helps you think more clearly. I would 100% recommend them but that is just my opinion. My sister doesn’t agree with them so sometimes this can be a difficult discussion in our family however since my mum tried to overdose she is happy for her to try anything. MAKE SURE YOU DO NOT DRINK ALCOHOL IN THE FIST 4 WEEKS of taking them. I made this mistake and had negative thoughts on a night out. Told my boyfriend and we went straight home. It’s only why they kick in though :)
Thank you for your response, it’s given me a bit of hope. I actually don’t really drink at all and I never really get the chance to go out because toddler so there’s no danger of that at all.

Sorry to hear you’re feeling like this but well done on asking for more help... that can be the most difficult bit. Speak to your GP about your concerns regarding possible side effects. If it’s your first time taking the medication they’ll realistically ask you to come back in for a review within a few weeks. They can take time to balance out in your system but if you feel like they’re not agreeing with you after a few weeks you can ask for them to be changed to a different type or dosage. It can sometimes take a few attempts to get the right balance.

Hope you’re feeling better soon x
Thank you for responding.
I will ask about them - I’m really hoping something will help

Thanks admin for moving, I didn’t know this part of forum existed

I’m a GP and also needed antidepressants myself as a medical student. Sertraline is notoriously bad for weight gain you develop terrible hunger at higher doses and I gained 22kg in 8 weeks. I switched and weight came off and didn’t have the hunger side effect. Some of the medication is linked to weight gain but only usually a few pounds but that’s normally because when you feel happier in yourself your appetite is regular. With any medication take it regularly don’t skip or increase a dose. I don’t want things to sound scary but we have to make people aware and your GP will tell you, thst during the first few weeks you may feel shaky, sleep more and possibly feel anxious or suicidal. This is the body adjusting to the medication so talk to friends/family/GP if this happens. If you can but I know it’s not always easy take a couple of weeks off work to adjust, sleep when needed etc when a person is depressed it uses the equivalent in energy of running a marathon! Also I’ve had lot of people worry medication numbs you or changes you and it doesn’t. Week by week the heaviness and thoughts will lift and you’ll feel more like the you you were before you became depressed. You may be referred to something called IAPT which is a talking therapy and the two combined are often more effective. BUT I often think it’s better to wait until meds kick in before adding pres tv sure.
In regards to your toddler it really shouldn’t cause you problems only if you feel down as your body adjusts.

Reactions: 3
I’m a GP and also needed antidepressants myself as a medical student. Sertraline is notoriously bad for weight gain you develop terrible hunger at higher doses and I gained 22kg in 8 weeks. I switched and weight came off and didn’t have the hunger side effect. Some of the medication is linked to weight gain but only usually a few pounds but that’s normally because when you feel happier in yourself your appetite is regular. With any medication take it regularly don’t skip or increase a dose. I don’t want things to sound scary but we have to make people aware and your GP will tell you, thst during the first few weeks you may feel shaky, sleep more and possibly feel anxious or suicidal. This is the body adjusting to the medication so talk to friends/family/GP if this happens. If you can but I know it’s not always easy take a couple of weeks off work to adjust, sleep when needed etc when a person is depressed it uses the equivalent in energy of running a marathon! Also I’ve had lot of people worry medication numbs you or changes you and it doesn’t. Week by week the heaviness and thoughts will lift and you’ll feel more like the you you were before you became depressed. You may be referred to something called IAPT which is a talking therapy and the two combined are often more effective. BUT I often think it’s better to wait until meds kick in before adding pres tv sure.
In regards to your toddler it really shouldn’t cause you problems only if you feel down as your body adjusts.
Thanks. I’m actually starting a new job in 2 weeks time which is part of this so I’m a bit worried it’ll affect that.

Thanks. I’m actually starting a new job in 2 weeks time which is part of this so I’m a bit worried it’ll affect that.
Try not to put too much pressure on yourself. You might find you start a medication and get no side effects at all. Take each day at a time

Well done on booking an appointment, it is so difficult to take the first step!
I have been taking Sertraline for 9 months (started on 50mg, increased to 100mg recently). Apart from a bad couple of months at the end of last year/beginning of this year, they have made a huge difference and on the whole I feel better than I have in years. I’ve only had 2 side effects- one was restless legs (this stopped a couple of weeks after I started taking it), the other is very vivid dreams.
I took citalopram a few years ago for about 6 months- it calmed my anxiety and whilst I didn’t feel depressed, it just muted a lot of my feelings generally (although the only side effect I had was hives- which didn’t start until about 5 months after I started taking it. )
I was prescribed another antidepressant during my recent bad period but the side effects were so horrendous I stopped pretty quickly.
What I’m trying to say is that everyone responds to each antidepressant differently. The first one you try might be the one for you and you might not have any side effects, or it might take a while to find one. Best of luck to you and I hope things start to improve for you soon x

Well done on booking an appointment, it is so difficult to take the first step!
I have been taking Sertraline for 9 months (started on 50mg, increased to 100mg recently). Apart from a bad couple of months at the end of last year/beginning of this year, they have made a huge difference and on the whole I feel better than I have in years. I’ve only had 2 side effects- one was restless legs (this stopped a couple of weeks after I started taking it), the other is very vivid dreams.
I took citalopram a few years ago for about 6 months- it calmed my anxiety and whilst I didn’t feel depressed, it just muted a lot of my feelings generally (although the only side effect I had was hives- which didn’t start until about 5 months after I started taking it. )
I was prescribed another antidepressant during my recent bad period but the side effects were so horrendous I stopped pretty quickly.
What I’m trying to say is that everyone responds to each antidepressant differently. The first one you try might be the one for you and you might not have any side effects, or it might take a while to find one. Best of luck to you and I hope things start to improve for you soon x
Thank you.
I have pretty vivid dreams anyway tbf. And I feel numb now anyway. I just don’t want to feel like this any more. There’s not a lot I can do about my personal situation - more than I’m doing anyway and I’m getting so low I’m not sure what else to do

I was on Sertraline for 3 years and had no problem, no even with weight gain. I’m usually very sensitive to side effects so I’m always surprised I didn’t get any. I then start Mirtazapine and holy hell, I ballooned. It helped me sleep (and I haven’t slept properly since I came off it, but I have M.E so that may contribute) but weight gain was terrible. I stopped using it last March and managed to lose the weight. I was switched over to Venlafaxine a year and half ago because Sertraline wasn’t helping me anymore.
I think I’ll always been on an anti depressant of some sort, but I’m ok with that. I am horrendous when I’m off them.
Congratulations on booking therapy. I’m a huge advocate of it, I’ve found it really helpful (with the right therapist).

I was on Sertraline for 3 years and had no problem, no even with weight gain. I’m usually very sensitive to side effects so I’m always surprised I didn’t get any. I then start Mirtazapine and holy hell, I ballooned. It helped me sleep (and I haven’t slept properly since I came off it, but I have M.E so that may contribute) but weight gain was terrible. I stopped using it last March and managed to lose the weight. I was switched over to Venlafaxine a year and half ago because Sertraline wasn’t helping me anymore.
I think I’ll always been on an anti depressant of some sort, but I’m ok with that. I am horrendous when I’m off them.
Congratulations on booking therapy. I’m a huge advocate of it, I’ve found it really helpful (with the right therapist).
Thanks for responding. I haven’t booked therapy, just a GP appointment. I had some counselling when I had PND a couple of years ago. It didn’t help in the slightest.

Thanks for responding. I haven’t booked therapy, just a GP appointment. I had some counselling when I had PND a couple of years ago. It didn’t help in the slightest.
Argh sorry, totally misread your post! My apologises.
But a doctors appointment is still a massive step :) I hope you’re able to find something to help you

I found Mertazipine the worst for increased appetite! Made me ridiculously hungry.
Currently on 100mg sertraline but hate it because it makes my restless legs a millions times worse. Can’t win.

Thank you.
I have pretty vivid dreams anyway tbf. And I feel numb now anyway. I just don’t want to feel like this any more. There’s not a lot I can do about my personal situation - more than I’m doing anyway and I’m getting so low I’m not sure what else to do
Antidepressants are worth trying, especially if you’ve done everything you can about your personal situation. It does take a few weeks for them to start working but I have found that I felt a little better just by actually going to the doctors (I guess because it gave me some hope that things might start to get better as I had been given a treatment plan). I hope you get the help you need. Xxx

I've tried all different anti depressants cant remember the names personally don't thing they have much effect on me, some of them made me groggy and zonk out at 8pm, but I've seen them work for others

I was on fluoxetine on and off for years! I didn’t have any side effects, it does make you feel abit ‘fake’ high. I didn’t gain weight because I was more active as I felt better in myself and wanted to get out more. Anti-depressants aren’t the fix but along side therapy they do help stabilise your mood.

Funnily enough I haven’t taken anti-depressants or felt depressed since I stopped taking the contraceptive pill 5 years ago....coincidence?

Reactions: 3
Hi guys I was wondering if anyone had any advice on drinking alcohol on Mirtazapine? I am have been on them for 5 or 6 weeks now and take them at night. I have been totally avoiding going out at weekends now, I am a 19 year old with a great social life but have just been terrified to drink whilst on them. Its tough having been going put every other weekend the last two years on no prescription medication to being scared to go out because I take Mirtazapine! Any advice appreciated x

I was on fluoxetine on and off for years! I didn’t have any side effects, it does make you feel abit ‘fake’ high. I didn’t gain weight because I was more active as I felt better in myself and wanted to get out more. Anti-depressants aren’t the fix but along side therapy they do help stabilise your mood.

Funnily enough I haven’t taken anti-depressants or felt depressed since I stopped taking the contraceptive pill 5 years ago....coincidence?
Organinsed motherhood has mentioned about contraception and depression, there were some stats in a book she had read.

I took sertraline and felt quite nauseous, room spinning etc for a few hours. I found it better to take them before bed so I slept through the side effects. X

Hi guys I was wondering if anyone had any advice on drinking alcohol on Mirtazapine? I am have been on them for 5 or 6 weeks now and take them at night. I have been totally avoiding going out at weekends now, I am a 19 year old with a great social life but have just been terrified to drink whilst on them. Its tough having been going put every other weekend the last two years on no prescription medication to being scared to go out because I take Mirtazapine! Any advice appreciated x
Never taken mirtazapine but you can drink whilst taking them. My advice would be to take it easy at first and see how it goes, maybe a couple of drinks at the pub rather than a big night out? I would drink whilst taking fluoxetine, I went on a BIG night out a couple of weeks after starting them and I was an emotional mess but could have been a combination of things, never had a problem any other night out afterwards.