Anti - aging products to start using at 25

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
So I've been taking care of my skin more regularly now and was wondering what anti-aging products I should be adding to my routine (since 25 is the age you should start apparently). I currently wash my face in the morning, moisterize (also at night) and put on sunscreen. I also have dry skin.

I'm a bit lost on which retinol, retinoid product I should be adding now. Or what else I should be doing.

Thanks!!

Reactions: 3
So I've been taking care of my skin more regularly now and was wondering what anti-aging products I should be adding to my routine (since 25 is the age you should start apparently). I currently wash my face in the morning, moisterize (also at night) and put on sunscreen. I also have dry skin.

I'm a bit lost on which retinol, retinoid product I should be adding now. Or what else I should be doing.

Thanks!!
not a product, but facial yoga and also learning how to put on specific products in the correct way, i.e. dabbing eye cream lightly underneath your eyes not dragging it across, there are lots of good youtube tutorials on both of these topics

Reactions: 1
agree about alight dab around your eyes
and also dont rub your eyes the skin is so delicate
i always leave my eye cream on my bedside table so in ever miss putting it on

Reactions: 2
SPF! every day. Particularly if you are using retinal based products. There's no point in using anti aging products if you don't use SPF every day. Peptides are good too, because we lose them as we age

Reactions: 5
It sounds like you already have the essentials down so adding Retinol is definitely the next step to take! :)

So I started using Retinol first and then gradually built up to Tretinoin (prescription-strength Retinoid).

I used The Ordinary’s Retinol which is really affordable and easy to find from Boots or other beauty websites.

For prescription strength Retinoid, I use Dermatica - its a monthly subscription service and (as far as I know) the easiest way to buy Tretinoin in the UK. There’s also Skin+Me who offer the same service, I think both do free trials so you can try each company before committing!

When you use Retinol/Retinoids, your skin will become more sensitive to the sun and will likely become irritated (drying and peeling is very common!) so it’s really important to wear SPF and reapply during the day. I started using Tretinoin just a small amount twice a week, then every other night, before using it every night.

This is my routine (I find less is more when it comes to skincare, but everyone is different!)

AM:
Wash face with water
Moisturiser
SPF50 (reapply midday)

PM:
Cleanse (using a gentle cleanser without any actives/acids like glycolic or salicylic acid)
Tretinoin/Retinol
Moisturiser (you can also moisturise before applying Retinol to help avoid irritation, especially when you first start!)

I’m not an expert and it can be trial and error to find what works best for you, but hopefully this helps a little bit 😊

• Heart
Reactions: 4
It sounds like you already have the essentials down so adding Retinol is definitely the next step to take! :)

So I started using Retinol first and then gradually built up to Tretinoin (prescription-strength Retinoid).

I used The Ordinary’s Retinol which is really affordable and easy to find from Boots or other beauty websites.

For prescription strength Retinoid, I use Dermatica - its a monthly subscription service and (as far as I know) the easiest way to buy Tretinoin in the UK. There’s also Skin+Me who offer the same service, I think both do free trials so you can try each company before committing!

When you use Retinol/Retinoids, your skin will become more sensitive to the sun and will likely become irritated (drying and peeling is very common!) so it’s really important to wear SPF and reapply during the day. I started using Tretinoin just a small amount twice a week, then every other night, before using it every night.

This is my routine (I find less is more when it comes to skincare, but everyone is different!)

AM:
Wash face with water
Moisturiser
SPF50 (reapply midday)

PM:
Cleanse (using a gentle cleanser without any actives/acids like glycolic or salicylic acid)
Tretinoin/Retinol
Moisturiser (you can also moisturise before applying Retinol to help avoid irritation, especially when you first start!)

I’m not an expert and it can be trial and error to find what works best for you, but hopefully this helps a little bit 😊
What if you wear make up? Would you reapply spf over the top?

What if you wear make up? Would you reapply spf over the top?
You can get spray and powder SPFs to go over the top of makeup, they are a little on the pricey side so I’ve not tried them before but they might be worth investing in!

I just gave up wearing foundation during the day and forced myself to embrace the dewy/shiny natural look 🙈 It took me a while to get used to it but hopefully the long term benefits will be worth it!

AM:
Wash face with water
Moisturiser
SPF50 (reapply midday)

PM:
Tretinoin/Retinol

Thank you for your reply!!

So would you say I should start doing

am: Cleanse, ordinary retinol serum, moisterize, SPF

PM: moisterize. (I also dab a bit of moisterizer under my eyes in the am and pm)

I know I'm a bit lost on eye creams and which one to get since the skin around the eyes is really fragile and you need to start taking care of it asap. I'm also confused on retinoids, peptides, niaciamide and all that stuff - it's a bit overwhelming and I feel like I should be doing everything at once but I don't know where to start. Also thoughts on collagen powder and bone broth?

There seems to be quite a bit of a debate among skincare experts re eye cream, most seem to think it's useless.

I would think the mega-expensive ones are worth it but a bog standard eye cream I'm doubtful about. I do have the Kiehl's Midnight Recovery which I love for the scent but I'm not sure it does much!

PM: moisterize. (I also dab a bit of moisterizer under my eyes in the am and pm)

I know I'm a bit lost on eye creams and which one to get since the skin around the eyes is really fragile and you need to start taking care of it asap. I'm also confused on retinoids, peptides, niaciamide and all that stuff - it's a bit overwhelming and I feel like I should be doing everything at once but I don't know where to start. Also thoughts on collagen powder and bone broth?
I don't think you should use retinol in the morning - it can make your skin incredibly sensitive to the sun. Use it at night, and still use SPF in the day.

Reactions: 6

You’re welcome! :giggle: I know it can be really overwhelming and I felt the same when I first started to get into skincare. The best thing to do is introduce one new product at a time - this way you can try something new and see if it works with your skin (if something breaks you out in spots or irritates your skin, you‘ll be able to know exactly which product it was!)

As Jelly Bean said, you should only use retinol/retinoids in the evening. So your routine might look like this:

AM: Cleanse, moisturise, SPF

PM: Cleanse, Retinol, moisturise

Retinols and Retinoids are essentially the same - so you would only use one or the other. Retinol is less strong so it takes longer to see results but it is cheaper and less irritating on the skin so its a good option to start with!

The Retinoid I use has Niacinamide in too - iirc it helps with acne, skin tone and sebum so if any of those are problem areas for your skin then it would be good to use.

I’ve not used the other products before that you mentioned so I can’t help with those, but Reddit is a really good source for skincare info so might be good to check there :giggle:

Reactions: 1
which retinol product would you reccomend I start with at night?
Ah I'm afraid I'm out of my depth as I don't use it myself - I just know about the sun sensitivity aspect. Another poster here said The Ordinary and I've only heard good things about it. Plus very affordable.

You’re welcome! :giggle: I know it can be really overwhelming and I felt the same when I first started to get into skincare. The best thing to do is introduce one new product at a time - this way you can try something new and see if it works with your skin (if something breaks you out in spots or irritates your skin, you‘ll be able to know exactly which product it was!)

As Jelly Bean said, you should only use retinol/retinoids in the evening. So your routine might look like this:

AM: Cleanse, moisturise, SPF

PM: Cleanse, Retinol, moisturise

Retinols and Retinoids are essentially the same - so you would only use one or the other. Retinol is less strong so it takes longer to see results but it is cheaper and less irritating on the skin so its a good option to start with!

The Retinoid I use has Niacinamide in too - iirc it helps with acne, skin tone and sebum so if any of those are problem areas for your skin then it would be good to use.

I’ve not used the other products before that you mentioned so I can’t help with those, but Reddit is a really good source for skincare info so might be good to check there :giggle:
Thank you!! and do you think it'd be better to start using a retinol infused eye cream first or a serum for my entire face?

I spent a small fortune on skincare products and the best ones were Dr Dennis Gross and Omorovicza. I got the Dr Dennis high strength peel wipes, anti ageing serum(?), vitamin C serum, Omorovicza silver mask and some other stuff (and lots from other brands). Those really helped clear my skin making it look more youthful. I think Origins was okay, Elemis and Emma Hardie have nice cleansing balms and eye creams too, but to me they’re all just something to use to make you feel good and a bit glow-y. The Ordinary is okay for that without the major price tag (some people swear by the copper one + buffet).

I’ve not checked out my latest cultbeauty basket because I’m going for semi-preventative Botox and will just use SPF and skincare will be just to maintain a clear complexion. They recommend Botox sooner rather than later but not everyone wants to take such measures. Very sceptical of all the anti-ageing products I’ve seen, but Origins Plantscription range sounds okay. I’ve decided the changes I want will never come from a cream. As for anything that claims to “reduce pores” 🙃 check out QVC as well because they do some good deals on skincare.

• Heart
Thank you!! and do you think it'd be better to start using a retinol infused eye cream first or a serum for my entire face?
I just use one serum for my whole face and dab a tiny amount around my eyes - you can also apply moisturiser before the Retinol which will act as a buffer to help minimise irritation :giggle:

Reactions: 4
I would say if you live in a city which is polluted (I live in london so..) a good option is to double cleanse in the evening when you get home/as soon as you get in whenever. I started with an oil based cleanser that you put on dry skin and kind of massage in then add water (currently using one from the ordinary) , but coconut oil is also good, and then use a foaming one

• Heart
Reactions: 3
As an oldie (I'm 65 but look 55 according to friends) I can say that I don't use soap on my face, just water - then dab dry, don't rub. The only face cream I have ever used is ROC. It's great for keeping wrinkles away. If I don't use it for a few days then my face tells me, but ROC soon does a good repair job. It's now difficult to find in shops, so I usually buy on line.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
@Zenchick101 A good retinol to start with would be the Retinol with B3 from La Roche Poesay. Designed to suit sensitive skin. B3 is Niacinamide, which also has skin benefits too.

• Heart
You can get spray and powder SPFs to go over the top of makeup, they are a little on the pricey side so I’ve not tried them before but they might be worth investing in!

I just gave up wearing foundation during the day and forced myself to embrace the dewy/shiny natural look 🙈 It took me a while to get used to it but hopefully the long term benefits will be worth it!
Ooh, I didn’t know about this. Where can I find these?