Annoying things your work colleagues do all the time? #6

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Our team has to attend a mandatory in-person workshop about "coping with burnout". They framed it as "we listened to your concerns (about being overworked) and we're offering you this workshop which you have to go to."

Instead of taking four hours out of our day to go to this which we could spend tackling the mountain of work we have to do maybe they could address why we are overworked in the first place? 😅

• Haha
Reactions: 20
Our team has to attend a mandatory in-person workshop about "coping with burnout". They framed it as "we listened to your concerns (about being overworked) and we're offering you this workshop which you have to go to."

Instead of taking four hours out of our day to go to this which we could spend tackling the mountain of work we have to do maybe they could address why we are overworked in the first place? 😅
It's also incredibly telling that they're normalising burnout by telling you how to "cope" with it. Like, this is the new way of working, get used to it.

You're absolutely right, they should addressing why burnout has happened in the first place, how to help you recover from it and how to ensure it doesn't happen again. Running a workshop is just a tick box exercise for them to make it look like they're being proactive.

Reactions: 13
I work in a team of three and one of us is leaving at the end of the month. She's not being replaced so obviously they think that two of us can do everything. I've already started writing a list of tasks that I'm not going to do anymore. I just keep saying that I don't have time.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 13
I'm annoyed that untrained and badly managed managers think it's fine to sit up one end of the open plan office and discuss someone's less-than-stellar audit so we can hear everything, even if they just about managed not to say her name. We know it's a she now! Plus no one seems to take you aside to discuss a minor duck-up anymore. Just plonks down, flings open laptop and says 'Big boss asked me to flag this with you'. Does everyone else need to hear me getting a handbagging? Take me aside!!

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 7
Our team has just taken on a new band 3 admin because they are drowning in work and new Band 8 managers keep being brought in (not sure how it’s being funded but the more the merrier apparently 🙄). Anyway due to previous admins not being trained properly and causing more work, not their fault, this newbie was going to be given an intensive 1:1 training for 2 weeks so they could crack on. As predicted said training never happened as the manager who was supposed to do it got internally promoted and pissed off to start their new job and this poor girl has now been left with zero training. No wonder the NHS is on its arse…

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 8
It's also incredibly telling that they're normalising burnout by telling you how to "cope" with it. Like, this is the new way of working, get used to it.

You're absolutely right, they should addressing why burnout has happened in the first place, how to help you recover from it and how to ensure it doesn't happen again. Running a workshop is just a tick box exercise for them to make it look like they're being proactive.
Yes, it is as much use as rearranging deckchairs on the Titanic 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 8
Our team has just taken on a new band 3 admin because they are drowning in work and new Band 8 managers keep being brought in (not sure how it’s being funded but the more the merrier apparently 🙄). Anyway due to previous admins not being trained properly and causing more work, not their fault, this newbie was going to be given an intensive 1:1 training for 2 weeks so they could crack on. As predicted said training never happened as the manager who was supposed to do it got internally promoted and pissed off to start their new job and this poor girl has now been left with zero training. No wonder the NHS is on its arse…
Same at my Trust - Band 8s being brought in whilst the rest of the lower band non-clinical staff are on consultation pending redundancies. I've been through it in each of my last 3 Trusts. The job titles of the Band 8s sound like complete bullshit as well. You couldn't expain what any of them are actually for except to bring someone for some other higher banded 8 to manage.

Reactions: 6
I don’t understand how hard it is to look at the data that’s already input and copy the format. Drives me absolutely insane and it’s stuff like that that I just huff about and correct myself because I’m so sick of mentioning basic tit
Have you tried using 'data validation'. Not completely idiot proof but can stop people putting text in a date column etc
---

We get regular 'stress awareness' training. I am aware of what stress is, thank you!

Reactions: 3
Have you tried using 'data validation'. Not completely idiot proof but can stop people putting text in a date column etc
---

We get regular 'stress awareness' training. I am aware of what stress is, thank you!
But are you aware that when you're stressed it's not actually the company's fault but the fact you haven't used the correct ✨️ coping mechanisms ✨️

• Haha
Reactions: 11
But are you aware that when you're stressed it's not actually the company's fault but the fact you haven't used the correct ✨️ coping mechanisms ✨️
😁 My coping mechanism is working very slowly and scanning Tattle in between tasks 😁
I find it's a good way to ensure I don't burn out.

• Haha
Reactions: 17
My former manager refused to hire someone who came across as having a very can-do and pro active attitude during the interview, because he feels that wouldn't play well with the more lethargic members of the workforce.
That person wasn't an ideal hire as he lacked experience in some areas, but I it's hilarious that this was former manager's reasoning.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 14
My former manager refused to hire someone who came across as having a very can-do and pro active attitude during the interview, because he feels that wouldn't play well with the more lethargic members of the workforce.
That person wasn't an ideal hire as he lacked experience in some areas, but I it's hilarious that this was former manager's reasoning.
I got rejected for a position as the administrative assistant to the site leader because, he said, I focus too much on high standards. He said I needed to relax about following company standards. Huh?

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 10
Throwing urgent tasks at staff at 3PM on a Friday should be down right illegal. At this late juncture, I’m only thinking on what drink I’m gonna have after work! 🙄 here we go, though, wish me luck so that I don’t end up staying behind today.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
This exact situation is happening to my best friend atm. She’s a band 3 admin who’s been left to her own devices because her trainer abandoned her 😬

• Sad
Reactions: 2
Maybe this is the reason my department is full of people who put in the bare minimum with more getting hired frequently 🤔

• Haha
Reactions: 4
---

I hate data validation. It's put on by people who don't know the full range of valid entries you could need to make - no, Melissa, there aren't only two answers for this, there are around 43 depending upon what the government wishes to collect this time round, it takes an age to do dropdowns instead of just typing it in (180 wpm on a bad day, never mind keypad entries) and whilst we're at it, stop bleeping locking document templates I created that need the wording changed specifically in order to remain legally compliant.

I hated wellbeing meetings. Because attending them meant doing another 5 hours on top of an already ridiculous day length. Try thinking about the wellbeing of the people who have no choice but to attend the bastarding things.

Reactions: 5
My coworker is fed up with the workload and a bunch of other stuff, with good reason, but it really gets on my nerves when he goes through the entire day cursing and swearing under his breath. It's irritating and brings my morale down too. Nobody is having a good time right now but can we please be civil jfc
Sadly I do this too. I need to stop it.

Reactions: 2
My coworker is fed up with the workload and a bunch of other stuff, with good reason, but it really gets on my nerves when he goes through the entire day cursing and swearing under his breath. It's irritating and brings my morale down too. Nobody is having a good time right now but can we please be civil jfc
That would drag me down too.
Could you point out to him, how unhelpful it is? Or is there any way you can drown out the cursing and swearing?

I'm annoyed that untrained and badly managed managers think it's fine to sit up one end of the open plan office and discuss someone's less-than-stellar audit so we can hear everything, even if they just about managed not to say her name. We know it's a she now! Plus no one seems to take you aside to discuss a minor duck-up anymore. Just plonks down, flings open laptop and says 'Big boss asked me to flag this with you'. Does everyone else need to hear me getting a handbagging? Take me aside!!
I hate that. It’s so unprofessional. We had a director who used to do it via email and cc everyone in. It’s not fair.

I also swear a lot under my breath, but I work from home and keep it professional when I actually have to speak to people 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 7