Annoying things your work colleagues do all the time? #4

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Bloody hell if they agreed your leave then the cover for your role is on them. I hope your new role is awesome and you go onto great things.
Too many employers rely on a small cohort of hard workers to cover the slackers and then go into meltdown if they either are not available or can’t help.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Today is my first back since before Christmas - I had a stack of leave owing and January is usually a quiet time, so it was mutually agreeable that I would stay off until now.

Last week, I was asked if I could come because someone walked out and they were in a bit of a jam. I said I couldn't as I had plans (which I did, besides why are they throwing the problem to me when there are other people in the office quite capable of picking up the slack? I will add that I've said "yes" far too many times over the years to this place, including going in on the weekend to check someone has set the alarm properly after they've texted me doubting if they have [I live closest work out of everyone]).

I woke up today feeling nauseous but put it down to first day nerves; turns out I had a lot to be nervous about! Immediately after arriving into the office - I'd only just put my bag away in my cupboard - the GM came over and asked if he could have a word. As I walked through the office and smiled and greeted everyone, I just got frowns and mumbles in return. Very unusual considering our office is usually really friendly and if someone has been away for a while everyone usually gathers around wanting to know how their break was, etc. Once in the GM's office, I was hauled over the coals for letting the team down and losing a major account! Excuse me - but how is YOUR problem suddenly my fault?!

The person who walked out was under a huge amount of pressure and was meant to prepare a presentation for a client but they forgot about it until two days out from when it was meant to be delivered. Apparently they just freaked out and realised they couldn't deliver so walked out. If I had known the extent of the situation I may (or may not) have returned to work earlier. I threw it back to the GM and asked why one of the other team members couldn't do it ... his response was ridiculous - he said he wanted to ease the others into what will be a heavy year ahead. Super-ridiculous considering one of my work friends said things have been really quiet with all her clients so she's been taking extended lunch breaks.

Ugh. This, combined with the "suggestion" that we adopt a four-day working week but our base salaries get reduced to reflect that, just made me question what I'm even doing here. So, I gave my notice and will look for something else! I will happily go and work at one of my co-owned coffee carts for a few months if there's a need. I am going to eventually go and work with some other colleagues who set up in competition, but they're still in the process of getting things set up. This is all going to pan out well though, as I do have a six-month restraint of trade.

My boss started getting all desperate and saying he didn't want me to leave and although it was a major client and I'd made a serious mistake in judgement (!!!) it wasn't the end of the world, and he would be prepared to let me off with a warning which shouldn't impact too much in the scheme of things. Stuff him! How dare he try to make me the scapegoat!

I have given my two weeks' notice and said I'll be working it from home. If he doesn't like that, stuff him!
Good grief. I'm stunned. Gaslighting.

I would say I can't believe it but I honestly think if given the chance my place would pull something like this. Capitalism!!

When did we become such workaholics? I really despair of the way things are now. It feels like things have got worse not better since Covid and the encroachment of work into the home.

Have you heard anything more from them @Black.bird? You should feel no guilt whatsoever

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I’m so glad you told them to shove it @Black.bird. I hope you have bigger and better things ahead. The absolute cheek of them!

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Today is my first back since before Christmas - I had a stack of leave owing and January is usually a quiet time, so it was mutually agreeable that I would stay off until now.

Last week, I was asked if I could come because someone walked out and they were in a bit of a jam. I said I couldn't as I had plans (which I did, besides why are they throwing the problem to me when there are other people in the office quite capable of picking up the slack? I will add that I've said "yes" far too many times over the years to this place, including going in on the weekend to check someone has set the alarm properly after they've texted me doubting if they have [I live closest work out of everyone]).

I woke up today feeling nauseous but put it down to first day nerves; turns out I had a lot to be nervous about! Immediately after arriving into the office - I'd only just put my bag away in my cupboard - the GM came over and asked if he could have a word. As I walked through the office and smiled and greeted everyone, I just got frowns and mumbles in return. Very unusual considering our office is usually really friendly and if someone has been away for a while everyone usually gathers around wanting to know how their break was, etc. Once in the GM's office, I was hauled over the coals for letting the team down and losing a major account! Excuse me - but how is YOUR problem suddenly my fault?!

The person who walked out was under a huge amount of pressure and was meant to prepare a presentation for a client but they forgot about it until two days out from when it was meant to be delivered. Apparently they just freaked out and realised they couldn't deliver so walked out. If I had known the extent of the situation I may (or may not) have returned to work earlier. I threw it back to the GM and asked why one of the other team members couldn't do it ... his response was ridiculous - he said he wanted to ease the others into what will be a heavy year ahead. Super-ridiculous considering one of my work friends said things have been really quiet with all her clients so she's been taking extended lunch breaks.

Ugh. This, combined with the "suggestion" that we adopt a four-day working week but our base salaries get reduced to reflect that, just made me question what I'm even doing here. So, I gave my notice and will look for something else! I will happily go and work at one of my co-owned coffee carts for a few months if there's a need. I am going to eventually go and work with some other colleagues who set up in competition, but they're still in the process of getting things set up. This is all going to pan out well though, as I do have a six-month restraint of trade.

My boss started getting all desperate and saying he didn't want me to leave and although it was a major client and I'd made a serious mistake in judgement (!!!) it wasn't the end of the world, and he would be prepared to let me off with a warning which shouldn't impact too much in the scheme of things. Stuff him! How dare he try to make me the scapegoat!

I have given my two weeks' notice and said I'll be working it from home. If he doesn't like that, stuff him!
Oh hello constructive dismissal…

Reactions: 15

Wow! Good on you for telling them to stuff it. It’s so frustrating that this happens, it’s like they get all surprised when you say no and all of a sudden all of their poor decision making is your fault. At my last place I was called to help out the day after my end date!

Reactions: 6

If you have it in writing that they agreed to your annual leave for Jan, then they have no leg to stand on. If you have it in writing, take it further (but still leave).
Well done for telling them to shove it.

Reactions: 7
My boss told everyone at my work that I have resigned rather than accept I made an error in judgement, but I'll come to my senses soon and come crawling back ... what an asshole!

I've received a few text messages from co-workers asking what the heck is going on - one of them said she didn't even know there was a problem with a client being lost (a bit strange considering we're a small business where everything you do and say can be heard by all in our mostly open-plan office). Others have said that our GM has been acting strangely for months and they wonder if he's 'all there'. Some have speculated that the company might be in financial difficulty, but I just don't think that's it.

I'm definitely being stitched up. I was offered the role of Practice Manager last year and turned it down; plus, my boss has been aware that I'm intending to go and join others who left and set up their own business, in time (in a different capacity, but he'd still see it as a huge insult that anyone would leave him, especially if they went to work for the enemy).

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 8
There’s this one dirty bastard that I work with and he farts ALL. THE. TIME. He doesn’t even attempt to be discreet about it, or move away from people before he lets rip. It’s absolutely vile, and it smells like an animal carcass that’s been decomposing for a week in the sun. It makes me sick to my stomach knowing me and my work colleagues are breathing in his tit particles. I actually think he‘a some sort of unhinged sexual predator that gets off knowing that we are all inhaling gas that he’s released from his anus. And the worst of it is, he doesn’t even excuse himself or apologise!
Update
Went to HR today about the dirty bastard dropping fart bombs. Turns out I wasn’t the only one who had put in a complaint. They are ‘investigating it’ and going to have a formal discussion with him. Thanks for all the advice everyone who replied 🙌🏼 my lungs are thanking me already 😂

• Heart
My boss told everyone at my work that I have resigned rather than accept I made an error in judgement, but I'll come to my senses soon and come crawling back ... what an asshole!

I've received a few text messages from co-workers asking what the heck is going on - one of them said she didn't even know there was a problem with a client being lost (a bit strange considering we're a small business where everything you do and say can be heard by all in our mostly open-plan office). Others have said that our GM has been acting strangely for months and they wonder if he's 'all there'. Some have speculated that the company might be in financial difficulty, but I just don't think that's it.

I'm definitely being stitched up. I was offered the role of Practice Manager last year and turned it down; plus, my boss has been aware that I'm intending to go and join others who left and set up their own business, in time (in a different capacity, but he'd still see it as a huge insult that anyone would leave him, especially if they went to work for the enemy).
Wow. Sounds like you won't get an apology from him then, he sounds unhinged to be acting so strange about an employee having their leave. Is there a boss above him and the GM you can speak to about it?

Reactions: 5
Wow. Sounds like you won't get an apology from him then, he sounds unhinged to be acting so strange about an employee having their leave. Is there a boss above him and the GM you can speak to about it?
Sounds like a former boss of mine. We lost our biggest client as he "Got bored with them" (his very words) and so our competitors took all our business instead. He'd also shout abuse at anyone who resigned while using the immortal "I'll make sure you never work in this industry again!" as a final insult. We were a minor IT contracting company and nothing more.

Long story short, the boss was having a midlife crisis so took to cocaine and strippers while refusing to delegate to anyone. About 18 months after I'd left, the company went bust. Just checked him out now and it looks like he's gone back to his old job which is ironic as he used to tell us all about how they were useless and it was young guns like him who would outplay and outsmart the likes of them.

Reactions: 4
I was about to say, his behaviour sounds very strange. He had no answer when you asked him why others couldn't have taken on the work. He is in over his head, I imagine.

If this was a major account, about to be lost, surely it would be a case of all hands on deck whereas it seems like he looked for the non obvious solution, ie wanting you to cut short your holidays, then when that didn't work, threw the baby out with the bathwater.

Reactions: 3
This is such a minor thing, but drives me mad. Me and my team have a shared budget spreadsheet (which I created), all neatly formatted. Nothing annoys me more than when I see someone else has been in the spreadsheet and added stuff all willy nilly in another font, two sizes bigger, things missing, the amount added as just a number and not currency, etc. Takes all of two seconds!

• Sad
Reactions: 19
Drives me nuts that everyone takes everything so seriously. There’s one particular girl in work who has nothing else going on, her whole life and personality is her work. She’s available to clients 24/7, brings her laptop on holiday and sits in the hotel and logged on every day over Xmas. She goes through periods of being grand to deal with but this month she’s unbearable, so negative and making a huge deal out of everything.

I need a job with the council or somewhere that doesn’t give a tit.

• Sad
Drives me nuts that everyone takes everything so seriously. There’s one particular girl in work who has nothing else going on, her whole life and personality is her work. She’s available to clients 24/7, brings her laptop on holiday and sits in the hotel and logged on every day over Xmas. She goes through periods of being grand to deal with but this month she’s unbearable, so negative and making a huge deal out of everything.

I need a job with the council or somewhere that doesn’t give a tit.
Hate to tell you but I work at a council and someone I work with is exactly like this!

You get them everywhere

• Sad
Reactions: 11
No, it's a private company owned by him and his wife. He's vindictive - I've seen him turn on other people in the past.

---

Sounds like a former boss of mine. We lost our biggest client as he "Got bored with them" (his very words) and so our competitors took all our business instead. He'd also shout abuse at anyone who resigned while using the immortal "I'll make sure you never work in this industry again!" as a final insult. We were a minor IT contracting company and nothing more.

Long story short, the boss was having a midlife crisis so took to cocaine and strippers while refusing to delegate to anyone. About 18 months after I'd left, the company went bust. Just checked him out now and it looks like he's gone back to his old job which is ironic as he used to tell us all about how they were useless and it was young guns like him who would outplay and outsmart the likes of them.
He sounds exactly the same! Not sure if he is having a mid-life crisis but he has been acting weird for the past few months ... he used to come into the office and just about sing "good morning" but suddenly started coming in at the crack of dawn and would stay in his office for most of the day with the door shut. He owns the company with his wife, who calls into the office now and again but otherwise keeps her distance ... who really knows what the situation is.

---

I was about to say, his behaviour sounds very strange. He had no answer when you asked him why others couldn't have taken on the work. He is in over his head, I imagine.

If this was a major account, about to be lost, surely it would be a case of all hands on deck whereas it seems like he looked for the non obvious solution, ie wanting you to cut short your holidays, then when that didn't work, threw the baby out with the bathwater.
Exactly! The thing is, there is at least one other person he could've asked to do the presentation - she's even been saying how she's hardly had anything to do since returning from holidays as everything is quiet with all her clients at the moment. I had a very successful year last year in bringing in new business but otherwise sit firmly in the middle of everyone ... this other lady is consistently good. I think his aggression stems from my turning down the role he and his wife offered me last year - which thank goodness I did, because I would've been miserable!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
We’ve had a restructure so all the teams have been changed. I was told to move desks to sit nearer my new team, so I spent some time deep cleaning the desk I was given and adjusting everything to how I need it to work. It turns out there aren’t enough desks for everyone in that part of the office, so when I’m WFH there are other people sat at “my desk”. I have to waste 10/15 minutes cleaning the crumbs off, adjusting the position and brightness of the screens, and getting my chair to the right height. I would have been much happier staying where I was as I don’t actually need to be sat next to my new team to do the job!

I have an update!

I met with my boss last night for a drink (he invited me) - he was apologetic about the situation and admitted that things should have been handled differently. He said he felt I had to shoulder some of the responsibility for what happened, for not agreeing to go in on my time off - because I've never said no before, it was a given that I would. I do understand where he's coming from. He asked me to reconsider leaving, and I told him firmly no; in the end, we agreed I'll work until this Wednesday - just long enough to tidy up some loose ends and hand over to someone else.

I'm feeling much better about the situation and am actually really looking forward to working part-time on one of the coffee carts I co-own. My business partner is thrilled as it's going to solve a lot of staffing issues we've been having.

I feel lighter - much happier - knowing the end is in sight.

Thank you so much to everyone who commented and shared their thoughts!

• Heart
I have an update!

I met with my boss last night for a drink (he invited me) - he was apologetic about the situation and admitted that things should have been handled differently. He said he felt I had to shoulder some of the responsibility for what happened, for not agreeing to go in on my time off - because I've never said no before, it was a given that I would. I do understand where he's coming from. He asked me to reconsider leaving, and I told him firmly no; in the end, we agreed I'll work until this Wednesday - just long enough to tidy up some loose ends and hand over to someone else.

I'm feeling much better about the situation and am actually really looking forward to working part-time on one of the coffee carts I co-own. My business partner is thrilled as it's going to solve a lot of staffing issues we've been having.

I'm glad to hear you feel better. Also hopefully this situation night be a lesson for him to not take productive good workers for granted, that you can't just assume they will come in when on leave etc. In business he shouldn't rely on good will for people to get him out of the tit. He should have had someone else help the client.

All the best to you with your Coffee cart business 😊

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I have an update!

Glad you got it to a level you are happy with :)
I still think your boss has a level of audacity to apologise, admit it should have been handled differently, yet still say you should “shoulder some of the responsibility” - that for me would negate the apology.
it’s good to leave on a better note than it seemed like you were, and the coffee cart sounds like a entirely different (and hopefully nicer) environment for a while! Part time is dreamy too, gives you some chill time, as well as time to figure out what’s next for you.

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.