Annoying things your work colleagues do all the time? #3

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’m currently in the process of negotiating a new job offer and boy has it got overwhelming. I’ve spent the whole week in and out of calls and then frantically trying to catch up on work. The new place is offering almost 20k more and a higher title, current place came back with a counter offer that was over 5k less and no promotion. Like I get it- there’s processes in place/ timeframes when these things happen but they seemed to genuinely think their counter was attractive. It’s really annoying, like they step out of the process when it’s a top boss going upward but for the regular people they can’t even make a serious offer but instead switch to empty promises like telling I’d be the highest paid at my level or that I maybe will get the extra money by summer. That job titles are arbitrary and they’ve watered them down by moving in people who don’t have the skills, but they don’t see me ready for the promotion because even though i by far exceed the skill level, they want it to mean more? Honestly starting to think that big bosses just think we’re all daft. The magic money pot comes out when it’s convenient and the promotions don’t happen on merit, it’s longevity and how it looks to clients.

• Sad
Reactions: 12
Good advice thanks. Would you believe I put a placeholder in calendar for May for a team day and the two that could benefit most declined 😵‍ Receptionist said she was taking leave (fair enough) and the OM said he didn't feel comfortable going with covid numbers the way they are. I then heard through the grapevine he was telling others "he's too long in the tooth for this sh*te" 🤣😂 I've my work cut out here.
Well, you tried - and that's all you can do!

If it was me - I'd pull the troublemakers aside, one at a time, and ask for their ideas about making the team work better together. If you word it along the lines of, "I really want to hear what you think because you're one of the most valuable team members and have a lot of great ideas" that would be a good start ... kill them with flattery.

Congratulations! Never take a counter-offer.
I agree - it casts you in a certain light and nearly always backfires in some way.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I started a new role at the end of 2021 which involves management of a team that is in such a dire state because the management before me were so inconsistent and awful. I am trying my best to improve the culture and working practices but it is a massively hard slog. This week, on Thursday and Friday, I worked extremely long days trying to action lots of tasks including picking up work for someone who suddenly went off sick on Thursday. I ended up having about 5 emails from 4 different individuals (all from the same department) about the exact same issue. By the time I replied to the third one, I wrote: “this is the third time I’ve responded to this query. Please see my original response below…I suggest you agree a single point of contact from your department in future”. Subsequently, I had a reply from them where they copied in my manager saying my tone was frustrated, rude and unnecessary.
i hate when people do that! It feels like they’re “telling“ on you to your manager and it’s so unnecessary!

On a side note, as I am still fairly new and due to the volume of work I was trying to action on Thursday/Friday, I now have pretty bad work anxiety for Monday as I am worried I may have inadvertently done something wrong as I was juggling so many tasks at once!!
Your reply wasn't rude and hopefully them sending your email to their manager will backfire on them because any good manager would agree that four of their staff separately sending an email about the same issue is inefficient and a waste of their time.

They don't even have to agree an owner, the first one could ensure they copy in the relevant people when they email you so everyone else knows it's been raised and will see your reply when you get back to them.

Reactions: 2
It's not a 'work' thing per se, but we have a committee meeting every Sunday and it's unbelievable how it's always the same-old people getting the chairs out (and putting them away again), turning the hot water cylinder on (and off), getting all the tea cups ready (and washing up after) - and don't even get me started on minuting the meetings!

Some people are just happy to rock up, have everything done for them without so much as a "thanks" and of course they're the most vocal of complainers.

Reactions: 4
(Senior) people who come at you in a rude way saying your understanding is incorrect and when you pull the evidence back on white supporting your understanding / work (which therefore proves to be correct), they go silent. Not even a "thank you, I understand now". It reeks ego and disrespect to me as they don't even read documents and assume you understanding is incorrect because you're a "junior" person.

Reactions: 3
This is the pettiest thing in the world but it made me laugh....

Kitchen etiquette. Today for one reason or another, around 5 or 6 people went to heat their lunch up around the same time. It's a tiny kitchen and you can only comfortably fit two people in at a time so I busied myself until the first couple of people had been in and back out, then I went to get my lunch plated up to go in the microwave. My manager was in there waiting for his lunch to ping so I stood chatting with him. He asked me a question so I went back to my PC to get the answer, saying hello to the person hovering outside the kitchen. I heard my boss's lunch ping and as I was walking down the corridor towards the kitchen, sharing my thoughts on the subject in question said hoverer was whacking their lunch in the microwave! As I appeared at the door they said "Do you want to put yours in?" Well obvs not Sandra! I'm not going to kick yours out after 20s but you clearly knew I was next in line.

• Angry
Reactions: 7
This is the pettiest thing in the world but it made me laugh....

Kitchen etiquette. Today for one reason or another, around 5 or 6 people went to heat their lunch up around the same time. It's a tiny kitchen and you can only comfortably fit two people in at a time so I busied myself until the first couple of people had been in and back out, then I went to get my lunch plated up to go in the microwave. My manager was in there waiting for his lunch to ping so I stood chatting with him. He asked me a question so I went back to my PC to get the answer, saying hello to the person hovering outside the kitchen. I heard my boss's lunch ping and as I was walking down the corridor towards the kitchen, sharing my thoughts on the subject in question said hoverer was whacking their lunch in the microwave! As I appeared at the door they said "Do you want to put yours in?" Well obvs not Sandra! I'm not going to kick yours out after 20s but you clearly knew I was next in line.
Yeah but I guess they didn't know how long you'd be away, you could've been gone for 2-3 minutes which could be enough time for them to heat up theirs?

My bit of annoyance: I don't really do that but I think it's weird when people get annoyed you call them on teams without letting them know first. Back in offices people had landline phones and anyone could call anytime so don't know how teams is different. Plus it has the added bonus that you're able to set your status to let people know you're busy. And there's always the option to not pick up

Reactions: 8
Yeah but I guess they didn't know how long you'd be away, you could've been gone for 2-3 minutes which could be enough time for them to heat up theirs?

My bit of annoyance: I don't really do that but I think it's weird when people get annoyed you call them on teams without letting them know first. Back in offices people had landline phones and anyone could call anytime so don't know how teams is different. Plus it has the added bonus that you're able to set your status to let people know you're busy. And there's always the option to not pick up
Yeah you're right but I'd have just handled it differently - I'd have said (and have done before to this very person) "How long do you want yours in for?" Then you have the option to say "oh i'll be a while, stick yours in while I get this." or "3,5 minutes please"

Agreed on the teams thing. I have one colleague who acts surprised when you call her on a WFH day. She has also stated that she loves WFH because there are "no interruptions" even though she has her kids around. I don't really get the logic in that.

Teams irritates the hell out of me for lots of reasons, but yes the needing to agree to call thing is bizarre.
I have a colleague who incessantly rings when I am set to anything other than available and I just don’t understand what is wrong with him.

Reactions: 7
Several types of people today:
  • I tell the person I'm available for a call with them at 5pm because I have another call between 3.45pm and 5pm, then they proceed to ring me during other call at 4pm when we're on the same time zone? Why?
  • Someone I had been chasing for weeks over documents I needed to perform some inputs in the system and work on some decks (it takes roughly and entire day to do it all). The deadline is Friday and they should have provided me with the documents last week. I get an email from them at noon today with the documents asking me if I can do it all by COB today? Excuse me?? You're asking me to do one day's work in 4 hours? Plus, someone is shadowing me so no way I can do this at my regular pace. You were late in providing me with the information I kept asking for and now you're making your rush mine?
  • Another person who sends me an email at 2pm when my schedule is packed telling me that they urgently need my help because they've missed a deadline and something needs to be done today. OK and?!

Reactions: 2
I'm a relatively new team leader still trying to find my feet.

Part of my job requires me to hit the phones for three hours a day (doing my old job) - this is something all team leaders have to do at the start of their shift. It's good in a way, as it gives you a really good idea of how that shift is going to go and where the pressure points might be. The rest of the time is spent grading team workers' calls, troubleshooting, creating / refining systems, and and doing rosters.

One of my colleagues - who started a couple of days after me, but didn't have the benefit of learning how to do the team members' job beforehand - has told everyone matter-of-factly that she won't be spending time on the phones as that's not what she's employed to do. Except that it's her job! And it's written into her job description (like all of us!). She's also taken to leaving her desk for coffee whenever she feels like it, rather than sticking to her rostered break. So far, management are letting her get away with all of this which is leaving the rest of us scratching our heads. It's very annoying as it just puts more pressure on everyone else. I don't know what she's doing in those three hours.

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 5
Yesterday afternoon, I was asked to deliver something that takes a whole day to do by EOD that same day simply because someone provided their deliverables far too late. I declined and said it would be done by today EOD. I emailed the person this morning again reminding them I'm working on the deliverable and it will be ready today. They sent me a chaser at around 2pm asking me whether I would be able to finalize this today to which I responded by re-attaching my previous email (in which I said I was working on it and it would be ready by EOD).

I pushed some other urgent deliverables aside to deliver this. I delivered it at 4pm as promised. At 6pm, I get an email from this person telling me they've made a mistake in their deliverables and forgot to double check something with someone and it turns out a portion of their work was wrong. This mistake changes all the stats on the deck I prepared etc. and they wanted me to do it all over again today.

I logged off. Bye. I don't have time to do and re-do work when you deliver it late, erroneous and ask me to toss everything else and do overtime to accommodate you so you can go off on holidays next week meanwhile my other deliverables will be late.

• Sad
Reactions: 8
I have lunchtime blocked out on my work calendar to avoid people dropping meetings in. Clearly it doesn’t work as it happens regularly but today I proposed a new time (ye know, one that actually suits me!) and todays person decides to email me back to say they are busy at that time, and will leave it to me to find a suitable time to meet. Nah pet, you want a meeting with me, then pick a time I’m actually available? Or shuffle your own calendar instead of expecting me to shuffle mine.

Reactions: 10
(Senior) people who come at you in a rude way saying your understanding is incorrect and when you pull the evidence back on white supporting your understanding / work (which therefore proves to be correct), they go silent. Not even a "thank you, I understand now". It reeks ego and disrespect to me as they don't even read documents and assume you understanding is incorrect because you're a "junior" person.
Yes, I see this kind of thing all the time at my company. Most of the very senior people are great and can flex throughout the hierarchy. The biggest egos I see are the ones on their way to the top that want visibility from management. They dismiss those at lower levels and don't understand how to leverage the relationship ie giving support staff mickey mouse jobs, where they're unsure of the value of the work but if it drives results they'll take credit in higher level meetings. As a supervisor I'm always wary of the "mid level manager" who more often than not discounts the efforts of the operational staff.

Within 2 minutes of me logging back in after my lunch....somebody comes up to my desk and asks did you see the email I sent 10 minutes ago?

For God's sake, I just got back from my lunch, so no!!!!!!

Within 2 minutes of me logging back in after my lunch....somebody comes up to my desk and asks did you see the email I sent 10 minutes ago?

For God's sake, I just got back from my lunch, so no!!!!!!
Why do they do this?! People need to be reminded that we are not all on the same schedule.

People who take personal calls at their desk! There's this VP in my team who takes personal calls multiple times a day every single day and some can go on for an hour (on top of their lunch hour). Then they brag about staying longer than everyone ... well, it makes sense if you take personal calls for 2 hours every day!

Yes, I see this kind of thing all the time at my company. Most of the very senior people are great and can flex throughout the hierarchy. The biggest egos I see are the ones on their way to the top that want visibility from management. They dismiss those at lower levels and don't understand how to leverage the relationship ie giving support staff mickey mouse jobs, where they're unsure of the value of the work but if it drives results they'll take credit in higher level meetings. As a supervisor I'm always wary of the "mid level manager" who more often than not discounts the efforts of the operational staff.
I hate to say this but I've seen it more with female seniors than male ones. The most dismissive people I've ever worked with were senior females. Males tend to be OK to deal with.

Last edited:
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.