Amy Winehouse

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Love the statue of
Amy is one of the only celebrity deaths that I've actually cried over, loved her music and style and she was so funny and witty. The way she died was so sad. I love Camden and always think of her when I visit.
Love the statue of her in the market- just perfect.

Reactions: 8
Around mid 2006 I was at Koko in Camden as a friend was DJing- we were on a VIP balcony, and there was a tiny woman in the corner who was so drunk she was being sick on her shoes. Took us ages to realise it was Amy Winehouse. Pre Back to Black release, so she hadn’t blown up the way she went on to. Such a talent. The documentary is heartbreaking.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 14
There’ll be a new documentary about Amy from the BBC soon, with her mum involved.
What‘s everyone’s thoughts? I think it will be lovely to hear more from her mum‘s perspective.

“The BBC said her story would be told in the new documentary "primarily through her mum", whose version of events "often differs from the narrative we have been told before".
Janis will be joined by family and friends, and the film will offer "a new female-driven interpretation of her life, her loves and her legacy", the announcement said.”

• Heart
Reactions: 15
I am looking forward to this. I think we might get more insight into the Amy that wasn't dominated by drugs.

But l also wonder if she should be left in peace. It's been 10 years since her passing.

Reactions: 11
I am looking forward to this. I think we might get more insight into the Amy that wasn't dominated by drugs.

But l also wonder if she should be left in peace. It's been 10 years since her passing.
I totally agree. I think this documentary is because it’s been 10 years. With Janis involved it will probably be more respectful, and not as “shocking” as previous documentaries. But then, like you I hope she’ll be left in peace. Her music and voice will stand the test of time.

Reactions: 10
Around 2005 I was sitting outside a restaurant in Camden with a friend and Amy came along with her friend and sat right by us. She seemed drunk and was crying, and then her dad came and picked her up in his cab.

I adored her first album, didn’t mind the second one but it irked me that the production had ripped off 60s music so much.

i heard she had died early as my husband works for a newspaper and was getting word. I felt so affected by her death; I’ve been similarly troubled and recognised myself in her struggles and heartache. Those photos of her body being brought out really got me- somehow you could really tell it was her and that haunted me for a long time.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 18
I loved her music, she was so very talented and such a loss. She was an artist that I would buy anything she did because she was talented and whatever she did was special. However, as a lover of live music she was one artist that I refused to pay money to see her live as she was so unreliable.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
My other half knew her quite well. I had a couple of wild nights out with her. She was lovely. Absolutely kind and loving. Tighter than anyone I’ve ever met though. And totally messed up before Blake came on the scene, he didn’t help the situation. Her dad ? I just didn’t like him, he pushed her to the max the majority of the time and was a bully. He’s spent the time since she passed trying to further himself. She’s sadly missed. She just wanted a nice man and babies, in fact I’m sure given time and with the right person, she would have been a lovely mum.

• Heart
Reactions: 29
My other half knew her quite well. I had a couple of wild nights out with her. She was lovely. Absolutely kind and loving. Tighter than anyone I’ve ever met though. And totally messed up before Blake came on the scene, he didn’t help the situation. Her dad ? I just didn’t like him, he pushed her to the max the majority of the time and was a bully. He’s spent the time since she passed trying to further himself. She’s sadly missed. She just wanted a nice man and babies, in fact I’m sure given time and with the right person, she would have been a lovely mum.
Wow, I cannot believe you knew her personally. I am so jealous.

I remember going to her pub in Camden (is it called something "Arms"?) on the day she died and my friend told me about it and it was such a sad atmosphere in the pub. So sad.

What do you mean with she was "tight"? With money? Did she even know how much she spent?

She seemed to not have an evil bone in her body, but she also seemed to be very lost and sad.

I always thought that it was Blake who messed her up and introduced her to drugs.

I love Amy, I want to buy a painting of her to hang up (I considered painting one myself, but .... not sure what this would look like)

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Wow, I cannot believe you knew her personally. I am so jealous.

I remember going to her pub in Camden (is it called something "Arms"?) on the day she died and my friend told me about it and it was such a sad atmosphere in the pub. So sad.

What do you mean with she was "tight"? With money? Did she even know how much she spent?

She seemed to not have an evil bone in her body, but she also seemed to be very lost and sad.

I always thought that it was Blake who messed her up and introduced her to drugs.

I love Amy, I want to buy a painting of her to hang up (I considered painting one myself, but .... not sure what this would look like)
She was messed up way before Blake came along. When I say tight I mean she didn’t like to buy a drink 😂. She definitely knew how much money she had. She wasn’t a nasty person, but she didn’t suffer fools either.

Reactions: 12
She was messed up way before Blake came along. When I say tight I mean she didn’t like to buy a drink 😂. She definitely knew how much money she had. She wasn’t a nasty person, but she didn’t suffer fools either.
I can't believe that she didn't want to buy a drink. 😳 I would have thought that she was buying round after round, no even realising how much she spent. I just had that impression.

I am kind of glad that she didn't allow everyone to take advantage of her. It seemed a bit like it to me and this made me sad.

Did she sometime sing when you went out (I heard that she sometimes liked to break into song)? Was she always dressed up in her usual style?

I cannot believe you knew her and spoke to her. I kind of want to shake all your memories of her out of you, haha

I can't believe that she didn't want to buy a drink. 😳 I would have thought that she was buying round after round, no even realising how much she spent. I just had that impression.

I am kind of glad that she didn't allow everyone to take advantage of her. It seemed a bit like it to me and this made me sad.

Did she sometime sing when you went out (I heard that she sometimes liked to break into song)? Was she always dressed up in her usual style?

I cannot believe you knew her and spoke to her. I kind of want to shake all your memories of her out of you, haha
She never shut up 😂 she quite often burst into song. She loved company too, especially those who didn’t give a fig who she was. Honestly she would disappear rather than buy a round. She was good fun, but she had a serious side too. Most people think of her as a loud mixed up girl. And she could be. But she was also really kind, she loved hearing other people’s good news too.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
She never shut up 😂 she quite often burst into song. She loved company too, especially those who didn’t give a fig who she was. Honestly she would disappear rather than buy a round. She was good fun, but she had a serious side too. Most people think of her as a loud mixed up girl. And she could be. But she was also really kind, she loved hearing other people’s good news too.
I cannot believe she wouldn't want to buy a round 😂😂 She was so rich, this is really funny!

Did you have the sense that she was lonely or sad?

What was her serious side like, did she talk about something specific?

Were you and your friends shocked when she died? I remember I was and then I felt stupid for being surprised, given how she spiralled out of control

I cannot believe she wouldn't want to buy a round 😂😂 She was so rich, this is really funny!

Did you have the sense that she was lonely or sad?

What was her serious side like, did she talk about something specific?

Were you and your friends shocked when she died? I remember I was and then I felt stupid for being surprised, given how she spiralled out of control
She wasn’t lonely, she was often in a group of people. She spoke a lot about the future, she wanted a family and had a lot of hopes. You know I wasn’t shocked when she passed but others were. She seemed to be calming down. But who knows ? She really was beautiful inside and out.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
She wasn’t lonely, she was often in a group of people. She spoke a lot about the future, she wanted a family and had a lot of hopes. You know I wasn’t shocked when she passed but others were. She seemed to be calming down. But who knows ? She really was beautiful inside and out.
Thank you so much for sharing your memories. ❤ And sorry for asking so many questions, I am just so intrigued that you met her and got to hang out with her.

She really was a talented girl. I always felt she wouldn’t have a long life, I don’t know why it was as just a feeling I had. She was so very kind and a lot of people didn’t realise that. She seemed to me that she just wanted to be liked and loved.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
She really was a talented girl. I always felt she wouldn’t have a long life, I don’t know why it was as just a feeling I had. She was so very kind and a lot of people didn’t realise that. She seemed to me that she just wanted to be liked and loved.
A lot of people said this about her but also about other troubled talented artists that passed away at a fairly young age: they just wanted to be loved.

Maybe the need to be loved drives people to reach fame.
I also know some very normal and humble people with very loving parents and happy childhoods that seemed very fulfilled.
Essentially it seems that we are all looking for the same thing.

Reactions: 5
A lot of people said this about her but also about other troubled talented artists that passed away at a fairly young age: they just wanted to be loved.

Maybe the need to be loved drives people to reach fame.
I also know some very normal and humble people with very loving parents and happy childhoods that seemed very fulfilled.
Essentially it seems that we are all looking for the same thing.
I think she would have been happy with a few children and a nice man. Blake was never any good for her. Two mixed up damaged people together. She did love him though.

Thanks for sharing your memories, @Tweacle - I'm so envious you got to spend time with her!

There’ll be a new documentary about Amy from the BBC soon, with her mum involved.
What‘s everyone’s thoughts? I think it will be lovely to hear more from her mum‘s perspective.

“The BBC said her story would be told in the new documentary "primarily through her mum", whose version of events "often differs from the narrative we have been told before".
Janis will be joined by family and friends, and the film will offer "a new female-driven interpretation of her life, her loves and her legacy", the announcement said.”

I agree, it will be great to hear more from her mum's perspective for a change, we never really hear from her, unlike Mitch!

Janis seems like a lovely woman and she acknowledges that she made mistakes as a mum with not being strict enough, not taking Amy's bulimia admission seriously etc... she just seemed to be far too soft with her and she admits to this, unlike Mitch who accepts no responsibility for anything, and tries to make himself out to be the World's Best Dad.