Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Sideboard Bob

VIP Member
Thank you for starting the thread @clueless I love her, her music just hit me, like it did with so many people. I know she was so troubled, but she was so funny too. I thought she was so beautiful.
One of my favourite funny stories about her is that she had to cover up her pin-up tattoo for performing at the Grammys. She used eyeliner to draw on a little bra!

654A32DF-F738-41E5-BF45-DE8E20C7943A.jpeg

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 63

clueless

Chatty Member
I thought I'd start a thread for Amy Winehouse after she was brought up a few times in the Peaches Geldof thread.

She was such a talent. I love her and her music. Her story was tragic, I followed it all at the time for years, but was still so shocked when the news broke of her passing.

I really liked the documentary film. I loved seeing old footage of her from before the fame, and hearing from her and her real friends. I think the documentary was very well done and brought her some justice in a way, bringing a lot of unknown details to light, as well as showing Mitch's true colours, and that other parasite Blake...

I still think of her a lot and wish she'd made it through.

• Heart
Reactions: 48

DCICassieStuart

VIP Member
I think she was fabulous. She was so lovely, but so damaged and confused. I know that Blake Fielder Civil is held responsible for a lot of Amy's problems and he certainly didn't help her, but I think that a lot of those problems were there before she met BFC and most of them were caused by her horrible father :mad:
She was damaged from her childhood with him, disappearing with strange women, having numerous affair and finally leaving her mother when Amy was still quite young.
All he was interested in was how much he could profit from Amy. You can really see it in the documentary, especially the bit where she was chilling out with her friends and next thing her father arrived with a camera crew, and she was really unhappy and upset about it. He spent years after she passed away playing such a public grieving role. I'm not saying he wasn't genuinely grieving her but he milked it and was still trying to profit from her name.

I remember reading somewhere that 'Back to Black' (my favourite of all her songs) was taken to be about BFC, their relationship and that the line "You go back to her and I'll go back to black" was taken as he went back to another women and Amy went back to drugs, but apparently was really about her relationship with her father and that it referred to him going back to a woman he was having an affair with and Amy ending up with depression (black) because of it.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 45
She is my absolute QUEEN. Forget Adele, Kylie et al, Amy had a uniqueness, her style and music was so 'out there'. Sure, her voice and style of music wasn't especially original, but she was one of a kind. I remember seeing her on 'Buzzcocks' and she was so quick witted and lovely. Her record company and Father should hang their heads in shame. I watched one concert, think it was in Estonia, not sure, and she was almost unconscious. Her death was pretty much inevitable but she will never be forgotten.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 37

Sunshine&clouds

VIP Member
Men destroyed Amy Winehouse, a combination of Blake Fielder Civil and her Dad. She did what so many women do who have been let down by their Dad, by meeting someone completely unsuitable, but battling (virtually to the death) to have a different ending relationship and marriage wise to her parents. She was damaged before BFC, but that relationship, in all its horror (and it's worth remembering we only saw a small part of it), consumed her. The only surprise was that she lasted as long as she did.

• Sad
Reactions: 33

clueless

Chatty Member
So happy to see so many others on here who love her as much as I do! 💗

I totally agree too, that she had her troubles before the big-time fame, which made them so much worse... it definitely began with her dad. She never even seen him and he took nothing to do with her until the fame and money started to roll in. And bringing the camera crew along when she was trying to find some peace in the Caribbean... it beggars belief. Her friend Nick was right when he said that she could have had a chance to get well before the world wanted a piece of her. The sad thing is, it seems she would definitely have went to rehab if her dad had said so.

Another part I found very upsetting (and just plain WTF?) in the documentary, is how when she was a teen, she told both her mum and dad about her 'great diet' where she would make herself sick after eating, and they BOTH didn't think anything of it or take it seriously?

The doc also put the timelines in order for me, as Blake said when they got back from America after getting married, that was the first time he introduced Amy to hard drugs. Does anyone else get the impression that he deliberately waited til they were married before doing this? So they were more tied together. And I was absolutely spitting feathers at him mocking her when they were in a rehab facility, getting her to sing 'Rehab' but then smirking 'but where are we now? give us the new updated version' ... then she said "I don't really mind it here" ... it was just awful. A few days later, the infamous bloodied pap shots 😔

The paps were such vultures, never leaving her alone, winding her up and quite literally waiting outside her front door... a few years ago I took a walk in Camden and went to see a couple of her old houses (that's how bad it was, that her very addresses were public knowledge!). The Prowse Place one was completely in the open, no gates or anything, you could have walked right up to her front door. Were injunctions against paparazzi not a thing back then?

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 31

Tilly41

It's her songwriting that made me follow her and she was such a unique voice. Any one who can write Love is a losing Game is otherworldly in my eyes. I think I explained in the Peaches thread that I saw her by chance in Sainsburys. But admittedly she was in a terrible way at that point. Addiction had ravaged her and her beautiful voice. Towards the end she was unable to perform and it was awful to see such a great talent like that

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 31

Tweacle

My other half knew her quite well. I had a couple of wild nights out with her. She was lovely. Absolutely kind and loving. Tighter than anyone I’ve ever met though. And totally messed up before Blake came on the scene, he didn’t help the situation. Her dad ? I just didn’t like him, he pushed her to the max the majority of the time and was a bully. He’s spent the time since she passed trying to further himself. She’s sadly missed. She just wanted a nice man and babies, in fact I’m sure given time and with the right person, she would have been a lovely mum.

• Heart
Reactions: 29

NomDeGuerre

VIP Member
She was just fabulous.

Frank was one of the first albums I bought as a young teenager and it absolutely blew my mind.

The press have a lot to answer for in her demise. That kind of coverage, for a woman who was clearly deeply unwell, is almost unthinkable nowadays, and it’s only a decade or so ago.

Reactions: 28

VielleFemme

I see the statue of Amy Winehouse in Camden has had a Palestinian flag placed over her Star of David necklace, I can't link the article it's on the BBC website.
I'm not going to get into a discussion about the politics of that region as its way to complicated and most people really don't know as much as they think they do but that is a provocative act and unnecessary.
I am Jewish and know a lot about the politics (and knew Amy very slightly) but will also not get into it here. This was a truly disgusting act of pure racism. Amy was a proud British Jew and Londoner and this has absolutely nothing to do with any kind of legitimate political protest and everything to do with driving Jews out of every part of British life - cultural, social, artistic, academic.

I never thought I'd see a time like this in my lifetime. It breaks my heart, and to do this to Amy's statue just makes me so sick and angry.
---
I think it’s clearly a good thing that we’ve become less tolerant of transphobia though! Not sure how being Jewish is problematic now either?
Guessing you're not Jewish if you don't understand how problematic it has become for us 😓

• Heart
Reactions: 28

To cat lady

Chatty Member
It really stuck with me in the documentary where she was so out of it and they just put her on the plane unconscious. Such a terrible waste

• Sad
Reactions: 25

Tilly41

She was also incredibly insightful and her melancholy translated into her music. It was heart breaking to see her descent. But she was so perceptive tho she said that as a child she isolated herself because of her looks. When she first came out with Frank i felt she was pilloried so much for her looks and I never knew why because all my life I have been surrounded by girls and women who look just like her so she was both beautiful and familiar to me. She felt pulled apart by the music industrys terrible and deep rooted sexism tho. A loss to music and so many were.influenced by her.

• Sad
Reactions: 23

Blockster

Was it removed or has it just stayed there?
The sticker has been removed
---
I am Jewish and know a lot about the politics (and knew Amy very slightly) but will also not get into it here. This was a truly disgusting act of pure racism. Amy was a proud British Jew and Londoner and this has absolutely nothing to do with any kind of legitimate political protest and everything to do with driving Jews out of every part of British life - cultural, social, artistic, academic.

I never thought I'd see a time like this in my lifetime. It breaks my heart, and to do this to Amy's statue just makes me so sick and angry.
---

Guessing you're not Jewish if you don't understand how problematic it has become for us 😓
It is very problematic and Amy was a down to earth North London girl and probably never gave the government of Israel a second thought, this is nothing to do with the war on gaza its a blatant hatred of Jews and no one can convince me otherwise.

• Heart
Reactions: 22

Tilly41

Sunshine and Clouds this is a very perceptive statement. And it must have been even more difficult for her because of her been a singer and especially the songs she wrote. She seemed to be haunted by this as many women are. I often think it's because there is such a push for women especially to meet the right one. If you havent it can make you feel so hopeless. Also not helped if you are a romantic by nature. Like she seemed to be. The romantic genre whether it be songs,movies , books is such a massive genre and I am so guilty of buying into it on every level. What I mean is that if that's your thing, I am into (historical romances ) you do buy into this notion that your life is waiting for your true love. It takes a massive reset to change that.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
Oh my god, same! We must have been in the same company? She was a ‘local’ to us and just one of us, totally normal and loved getting pissed and partying but after Blake, it was something else. We all HATED him.

My other half knew her quite well. I had a couple of wild nights out with her. She was lovely. Absolutely kind and loving. Tighter than anyone I’ve ever met though. And totally messed up before Blake came on the scene, he didn’t help the situation. Her dad ? I just didn’t like him, he pushed her to the max the majority of the time and was a bully. He’s spent the time since she passed trying to further himself. She’s sadly missed. She just wanted a nice man and babies, in fact I’m sure given time and with the right person, she would have been a lovely mum.
Janis is just lovely. She knows she spoiled amy rotten and she will happily say she made mistakes. However she was a single mum who was also not very well, and from what I know Mitch wasn’t a good husband and got worse after they split. She worked so hard to provide for them, so I think she can be forgiven for trying to make Amys life easier.
Amy was one of us and that was what made her truly exceptional. He talent was surpassed by none and Janis knew this and just was proud. I knew her and was in the same ‘local’ crowd (I have zero talent) but we grew up together and she was always special. Never commented before as it’s not a rave thread and I only have positive things to say (apart from that absolute cunt Blake).

• Heart
Reactions: 20

Gold_7

Chatty Member
I just came across this is my phone gallery. It’s from the exhibition I went to a few years ago:
5482FC6A-05A1-4254-81DF-4585AE07D5C5.jpeg

• Heart
Reactions: 19

PeteM

VIP Member
The film is Mitch Winehouse approved unlike the documentary.

Tells you all you need to know.

Last edited:

Misterduck

I miss Amy so much. I legit cried when she died. I might have been naive but I thought she was doing so much better. Well actually she did got better since she unfortunately died because her body was not used to the amount of alcohol she drank that night anymore.
Such a waste, she seemed like such a nice soul. Somebody mentionned Nevermind the Buzzcocks, her latest episode was epic. I know she was unwell at the time but she was so sweet and funny. Her banter with Simon was so natural. You could tell he really cared about her. I still watch it sometimes. I love when she comforts the old guy. She was a true sweetheart.
I was lucky enough to see her live in 2007. It was amazing honestly. Blake was there though, which I could have done without. But she was so charismatic, it was incredible to witness. Unfortunately as the gig went on she was drinking so much, by the end you could tell she was wasted and she was kind of slurring her words. Still an amazing experience that I consider myself very lucky for.
I’m gonna be honest though, I still haven’t watched Amy after all this time. I’m scared it’s gonna hurt too much.

One thing I just remember. Right after she passed I was so sad, listening to her on the train and a girl sat in front of me. She had very big hair and super thick eyeliner. At the time I got chills because she looked so much like her, I thought it was some kind of sign and it made me feel better. Now I just think it was probably a girl trying to emulate her looks. Still, it will stay with me.

• Heart