Alternatives to the pill

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
i have been on the pill for about 13 years now i think and i'd really like to find an alternative because i think it's affecting me quite badly :(

and tips and suggestions for alternatives or just in general would be much appreciated :)

I've tried many different ones. After having my child, I tried the depo, I piled on weight, ended up having a blood clot and a stroke.

Changed to the copper coil, constant pelvic pain, bled every single day for 18 months. I now have the mirena coil, low level of hormones, no bleeding, I no longer have periods. Its an absolute godsend, only real side effect is a few spots.

Contraceptives affect every person in different ways. I suppose it's trial and error with them all really. Hope you find something that works for you.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 7
I've tried many different ones. After having my child, I tried the depo, I piled on weight, ended up having a blood clot and a stroke.

Changed to the copper coil, constant pelvic pain, bled every single day for 18 months. I now have the mirena coil, low level of hormones, no bleeding, I no longer have periods. Its an absolute godsend, only real side effect is a few spots.

Contraceptives affect every person in different ways. I suppose it's trial and error with them all really. Hope you find something that works for you.
thank you very much for responding and i'm sorry to hear that happened to you!! i hope you're okay now ❤ 🥰

• Heart
Reactions: 1
I’ve tried pretty much every thing:
-variety of pills. Oestrogen is a migraine trigger so I avoid that and the combined pill. I was on the POP pill for about a year but I kept forgetting to take it so not the best option for me.
-depo injection: gained tonnes of weight wouldn’t recommend.
-implant: ruined my sex drive and suffered with low moods to the point I felt suicidal. Mine was also put in my arm too deep so I’ve been left with a scar the size of a one pence piece where they had to make a big incision to get it out. 🤮
-copper coil: I had two prior or having a baby and one fitted as soon as possible after giving birth. This is the best contraceptive for me. I have PCOS so I prefer the hormone free option personally just so I know what is happening with my cycle if we try for a second baby. I’ve not noticed that my periods are any heavier but I have horrible periods whenever I’m lucky enough to have one.

My sister had the marina coil then switched to the copper coil as she gained weight, lost her sex drive and generally felt really down.

It very much is down to personal preference. Speak to your gp/sexual health clinic and see what they think would be worth trying.

• Heart
I came off the pill after being on it for 10 years, was on hormonal for the first 5 years then mini pill for the remaining five. I came off it because I thought it was causing problems (turned out to be gluten intolerance lol) but it made such a change to my mental health that I refuse to go back on it and reluctant to try other contraceptives as they feel too invasive. Tbf my bf was really understanding about it and we just use condoms now. Last time I spoke with my doctor about it though she recommended the ring? So if you're put off my getting a coil or implant then that could be an option but I've not tried it so no idea if it would just cause the same problems as the pill.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
thank you very much for responding and i'm sorry to hear that happened to you!! i hope you're okay now ❤ 🥰
Thank you. I'm fully recovered now thankfully. I take medication for life & had to have 2 years of speech therapy as I completely forgot how to speak. I was very lucky. Don't let my story put you off though, some people take the depo and get on really well with it.

• Heart
I’ve had a mirena coil for 4 years with no problems. I bled for 6 weeks on and off initially but I haven’t had a period since. I don’t even know it’s there.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I’ve had the implant and I bled every day for the 3 years I was on it, had to take a pill (Munalea) to stop the bleeding. Went from a size 4/6 to a 12 easily, felt depressed and anxious 24/7 and never wanted sex so what was the point
As soon as it was removed I stopped bleeding and haven’t had a period back yet (it’s been 4 months), I’ve lost all the weight and have a sex drive again woo
My friends who’ve had the coil have put me off for life with their experiences
Just using condoms at the moment but I genuinly can’t stand the idea of any of them, the idea of all these fake hormones freaks me out. I never want a foreign object inside me again either 😂 Help

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I’ve had the copper coil for about 5 years. It’s the best option for me as I have PCOS so wanted something hormone free. Had zero problems with it so it’s working really well for me!

• Heart
I use the patch (which so many people still don’t know about) and I highly recommend. The pill made me feel so sick everyday after being on it for 10 years and I’ve been on the patch for nearly 3 years now with ZERO problems! The only slight issue is that it can be seen when on holiday in a bikini etc but it just looks like a plaster and tbh I don’t really care 😂 I’ve converted so many friends to it!!

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I use depo injection & have for 10 years, people worry about the long term use age of it and can cause osteoporosis but I’ve found it’s best for me as I was useless at remembering to take pill’s daily & the implant made me constantly bleed whilst I was on it.

• Heart
I’ve been on the depo injection for just over a year and it’s been great for me, I don’t get periods any more and not really any side effects. The only thing is that I’ve put on weight - but that’s probably not helped by being at home constantly because of lockdown 😅 guilty of eating a few too many snacks

• Heart
I use POP pill and it’s been really good. A small amount of random bleeding for the first 6ish weeks then nothing; no periods anymore. Woo!

I was on a combined pill for a few years when I was younger but due to weight issues it’s not an option and POP is safest. The combined pill made me feel dreadful though. For years we just used condoms as all the hormones from birth control freaked me out.

Have never had the implant/injection/coil. Have known way too many people with bad experiences. However, the copper coil does intrigue me.

• Heart
Risky but we just use the withdrawal method. Long term relationship. I haven’t been on the pill since my teens and it didn’t suit me so just didn’t try anything else. The implant always struck me as a good option though as you don’t have to think about it for a few years once it’s done.

• Heart
thanks everyone for your responses, much appreciated! i have been reading on here and watching youtube videos on different alternatives and it's so crazy/interesting how differently everyone responds! i really think my pill is making me feel miserable + isn't helping with weight so i have definitely decided that once i finish this box (2 more weeks i think?) that will be it!

For years we just used condoms as all the hormones from birth control freaked me out.
Risky but we just use the withdrawal method. Long term relationship.
yeah i think we'll just use condoms + withdrawal method. i am sick of putting things in my body, i wish there was something men could do rather than women

I’ve been off the pill for a few months whilst under the doctors for my PCOS. I also don’t really want additional hormones in my body. Think I’m going to go for condoms rather than back on the pill and if I’m not entirely confident in that (definitely not ready for baby prinny’s😂) then I might try the patch.

• Heart
has anyone ever had their Nexplanon implant removed? I have my appointment next thurs and pretty anxious about the side-effect of removal. I've read a lot of horror stories online, however really looking forward to not having unnatural hormones in my body after 6 years!

has anyone ever had their Nexplanon implant removed? I have my appointment next thurs and pretty anxious about the side-effect of removal. I've read a lot of horror stories online, however really looking forward to not having unnatural hormones in my body after 6 years!
I had mine taken out last august, haven’t had any really bad side effects! I am horny like alll the time now though lol, I hadn’t realised how much the implant had effected my sex drive! My periods came back straight away, and I’ve lost a bit of weight but I have also been eating better, but I’ve definitely lost more since having it out!

• Heart
i have been on the pill for about 13 years now i think and i'd really like to find an alternative because i think it's affecting me quite badly :(

and tips and suggestions for alternatives or just in general would be much appreciated :)
I used to be on the pill and it causes me to be the devil on my break week and sex drive was crap but guidelines have now changed so now they don’t recommend the 7 day break

I used to be on the pill and it causes me to be the devil on my break week and sex drive was crap but guidelines have now changed so now they don’t recommend the 7 day break
I agree. Til recently I was on microgynon and did some reading up on it. The 7 day break was apparently invented when the pill first came out to make women feel at ease. It’s not necessary and doctors are now recommending 3-4 days. I also used to skip the break regularly for 3 months at a time with a break in between. Was great because no periods. However my mood was terrible and sex drive so low that I am going to give my body a break and use condoms for a while before we look to start a family in the next two years 🤞🏼