Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Bitofthebubbly

VIP Member
I got a frozen crown from Aldi just last week. Had frozen before and it’s fine, they had loads.

On years where we’ve not had turkey we’ve done duck, beef and I think chicken one year😅

Reactions: 2

Pink blancmange

VIP Member
I do lamb and gammon because I just don't like turkey. I was cooking turkey because it was tradition but I dreaded eating it every year. So now I just do what we like instead of trying to follow traditions 😁

Reactions: 1

liar liar

VIP Member
I don't get the whole turkey thing at all. It's a cheap meat that no one eats for the rest of the year and the whole focus is the stop the thing drying out.
I cook turkey the Phil Vickery way - it is really steaming it - and takes way less time. Only having a crown this year but same mode of cooking.

Keikochan

VIP Member
We always get steak for Xmas dinner. It's yummy & easy to cook. Will get some nice potato gratin too.

AlanBanan

VIP Member
I don’t like Turkey and my father hated cooking them (he finds them too needy) so me and my family always had roast beef for our Christmas dinner.

Facehugger

VIP Member
We have 2 legs of lamb in the freezer which is why Lamb is on the menu for xmas day, this is just in case we have problems obtaining any more meat for the Sunday Lunches. I'm thinking there might be a shortage due to the Bird Flu which is part of the problem for the lack of Turkey.
I wondered if people wouldn't be able to get it due to the bird flu outbreak, one farm in North Yorks near my stepmum have had to cull thousands of birds she was saying 😔

I don't have Xmas dinner, I haven't for years, I'm usually visiting my last surviving elderly relative on Xmas day, I cook them a dinner & take it to them, but then it's beef or lamb on Boxing Day for me. 😘

• Heart

Trolleydollycoffeelover

I’ve been veggie since I was a teen so never had to buy one- parents hate turkey so was always a nice roast lamb on the menu! How about taking inspo from other countries’ Xmas dinners? Turkey isn’t a thing in other countries and lamb, goose, pork feature as the main dishes. I think if I were a meat lover my ideal Xmas dinner would be something like a Beef Wellington or lamb with rosemary.

VIP Member
I don’t like a whole turkey anyway, prefer just a crown.
Can’t go wrong with a ham joint either.
AH yes, the boiled ham, getting that this week, only a small one because it's only my Mother and I who will eat it.

Hello Kitty

VIP Member
We've got our Turkey from M&S but I've seen loads of fresh/frozen in our Sainsbury's. If i couldn't get one I'd probably get chicken or beef

ClockworkDolly

VIP Member
Bad news, can't order a Turkey for xmas, according to my branch of Sainsbury's they haven't taken orders for 2 weeks.
Other supermarkets have the same problem.

So if we can't get one by the 22nd Dec it will be a Roast Lamb on xmas day..

If you can't get a Turkey, what will you have instead?
Goose is a very nice alternative to Turkey. You can roast the potatoes in the goose fat and they are delicious. In fact ordinarily that is what I use to roast my spuds.

Lamb, Chicken anything which takes your fancy. Depends how many you’re catering for.

VIP Member
I don't get the whole turkey thing at all. It's a cheap meat that no one eats for the rest of the year and the whole focus is the stop the thing drying out.
Shame really, would be nice to have a turkey a few times over the year.

MaxieMoo

VIP Member
A glazed ham is always a good option. I don't really cook a Christmas dinner as it's only me and my husband. We just graze all day on home made sausages rolls, pate etc.

We always go out for a beautiful lunch on Boxing day and that is when I have my roast turkey etc.

Even a nice roast chicken might be a good alternative.

petitspois

VIP Member

CherryAcid

VIP Member
My mum has always got a turkey crown and cooked another joint of meat, usually gammon. The last few years she’s done gammon I’ve not even bothered having turkey. This year will be no different. I’d rather have the turkey in a curry tbh.