Ali Abdaal

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
This will be the last post.

Late twenties took equity in a company that blew up, paid my own way through it. Old af now.

If you're thinking of taking it up here are the negatives:

Surgery - extended sessions that can go on till the next morning.

Increasing admin roles - everyone takes turns holding the bag of medical director. Dealing with bone headed non clinical management, you'll be clashing with them for the rest of your life.

Research - if you don't like academia have fun reading through all the new papers you need to keep up with, papers you're involved in and conferences you have to attend.

Seniority - if you think FY is bad, it gets worse as you go up. Senior reg years are probably the worst. No extra pay as you get consultancy as that's now part of your 70-100k salary. On call 24/7.

Office politics and bullying - if you're a women, BAME, working class you still get crap. Environment can be notoriously toxic if you don't know how to draw boundaries and not give a crap - just fight your own corner, don't let ANYONE make you feel inferior. The behaviours is what you put in - take on the same toxic behaviours you'll be the same, try find some positives and fun in it and you'll be one of the much needed role models to create more positive environments. Right now, ongoing Covid has made everyone miserable, up to you to make the situation what it is.

Got an iron stomach - you'll know when you drain that abscess or treat necrosis.

You'll get a load of crap - over demanding patients, blame for letting xyz die, bad day, bad colleagues, management pressures - Don't be a martyr.

Can't handle just going to and from home and work - well maybe you'll have more empathy for the Filipino, Indian, Spanish, Polish etc. workers who do much more for less. Make sure your place is as close to work as possible in the early years, you're there to work and learn not have fun. If you wanted to have fun to frolick in London or some other "exciting place" choosing med was stupid.

Pay - if you're complaining about pay I'll be laughing in your face, you can earn more than most people ever will 4 years out of sheltered school, especially with all the OT you'll be doing anyway. The money will pile up because if you're serious, in the early days you won't have much time to spend it except on study/exam materials. Maybe, I'll give the ever shrinking pension limits a pass, but you'll end up with a £1-3mil pension just by doing the normie stuff.

Finance - just because you're a doc, you ain't a wallstreet god. You're good at medicine and that's it. If you don't know how to read a financial statement understand SGA, EBITDA, GM, SBC, OC etc. Stick to the regular stuff. None of those arbitrage plays, margin or options playing. If you're thinking about that, you should have aggressively saved in the short term and max out your ISA accounts when you first started working. (Or should've done something else because you're trying to make money asap to get out of your crappy medicine job)

If you plan to have a family or get married. Make sure you have a ride or die partner and have a solid inner team, divorces and marriage troubles are everywhere. Engage with your partner and kids with quality time, because you've knowingly or unknowingly sacrificed them to the demands of medicine too - don't be like most who think buying the latest and greatest toys for them will replace time spent away from them.

To me, family life will always come first, because they've already gave so much to allow you to do this. Never let management guilt trip or bully you to take on ever increasing workloads, yes you are expected to go above and beyond every so often, but don't make that the norm. Patient care is a black hole that you'll never plug up. Accept it. If they keep pushing tell them they can duck right off.

If you've made good financial decisions and kept lifestyle inflation low you can easily be financially independent in your 30s-40s, especially when your mortgage is paid off - If you're still paying out of your arse to live in the hip places, that's on you.

I feel very comfortable living off £15-20k/yr (no mortgage, important), where it doesn't feel like I'm being deprived of anything. When you've lived like that all your life, everything else is a bonus. Nowadays I would say I'm extremely privileged.

All in all, you have to be a machine with a switch to modulate the empathy to show kindness to and care for people. But when the time comes to make the uncomfortable decisions you have to show no mercy and full conviction regardless of the consequences or reputation hit. If you didn't think medicine through, prepare to be bitterly disappointed.

Fun group, fun discussion. Don't get too hung up on what everyone else is doing, prioritise real life stuff, making good on your own life and creating a life that you envision.
Thank you so much for this, very eye opening!!!

Reactions: 2
This will be the last post.

Late twenties took equity in a company that blew up, paid my own way through it. Old af now.

If you're thinking of taking it up here are the negatives:

Surgery - extended sessions that can go on till the next morning.

Increasing admin roles - everyone takes turns holding the bag of medical director. Dealing with bone headed non clinical management, you'll be clashing with them for the rest of your life.

Research - if you don't like academia have fun reading through all the new papers you need to keep up with, papers you're involved in and conferences you have to attend.

Seniority - if you think FY is bad, it gets worse as you go up. Senior reg years are probably the worst. No extra pay as you get consultancy as that's now part of your 70-100k salary. On call 24/7.

Office politics and bullying - if you're a women, BAME, working class you still get crap. Environment can be notoriously toxic if you don't know how to draw boundaries and not give a crap - just fight your own corner, don't let ANYONE make you feel inferior. The behaviours is what you put in - take on the same toxic behaviours you'll be the same, try find some positives and fun in it and you'll be one of the much needed role models to create more positive environments. Right now, ongoing Covid has made everyone miserable, up to you to make the situation what it is.

Got an iron stomach - you'll know when you drain that abscess or treat necrosis.

You'll get a load of crap - over demanding patients, blame for letting xyz die, bad day, bad colleagues, management pressures - Don't be a martyr.

Can't handle just going to and from home and work - well maybe you'll have more empathy for the Filipino, Indian, Spanish, Polish etc. workers who do much more for less. Make sure your place is as close to work as possible in the early years, you're there to work and learn not have fun. If you wanted to have fun to frolick in London or some other "exciting place" choosing med was stupid.

Pay - if you're complaining about pay I'll be laughing in your face, you can earn more than most people ever will 4 years out of sheltered school, especially with all the OT you'll be doing anyway. The money will pile up because if you're serious, in the early days you won't have much time to spend it except on study/exam materials. Maybe, I'll give the ever shrinking pension limits a pass, but you'll end up with a £1-3mil pension just by doing the normie stuff.

Finance - just because you're a doc, you ain't a wallstreet god. You're good at medicine and that's it. If you don't know how to read a financial statement understand SGA, EBITDA, GM, SBC, OC etc. Stick to the regular stuff. None of those arbitrage plays, margin or options playing. If you're thinking about that, you should have aggressively saved in the short term and max out your ISA accounts when you first started working. (Or should've done something else because you're trying to make money asap to get out of your crappy medicine job)

If you plan to have a family or get married. Make sure you have a ride or die partner and have a solid inner team, divorces and marriage troubles are everywhere. Engage with your partner and kids with quality time, because you've knowingly or unknowingly sacrificed them to the demands of medicine too - don't be like most who think buying the latest and greatest toys for them will replace time spent away from them.

To me, family life will always come first, because they've already gave so much to allow you to do this. Never let management guilt trip or bully you to take on ever increasing workloads, yes you are expected to go above and beyond every so often, but don't make that the norm. Patient care is a black hole that you'll never plug up. Accept it. If they keep pushing tell them they can duck right off.

If you've made good financial decisions and kept lifestyle inflation low you can easily be financially independent in your 30s-40s, especially when your mortgage is paid off - If you're still paying out of your arse to live in the hip places, that's on you.

I feel very comfortable living off £15-20k/yr (no mortgage, important), where it doesn't feel like I'm being deprived of anything. When you've lived like that all your life, everything else is a bonus. Nowadays I would say I'm extremely privileged.

All in all, you have to be a machine with a switch to modulate the empathy to show kindness to and care for people. But when the time comes to make the uncomfortable decisions you have to show no mercy and full conviction regardless of the consequences or reputation hit. If you didn't think medicine through, prepare to be bitterly disappointed.

Fun group, fun discussion. Don't get too hung up on what everyone else is doing, prioritise real life stuff, making good on your own life and creating a life that you envision.
I love when people already in the field take the initiative to post about the realities of Medicine. Also, what are the positives (if any) and, what about dentistry?

I've subscribed Ali since his video about how he takes notes using Notability on the iPad and his video encouraged me to buy and iPad and use it for my ACCA studies.

I’ve stopped subscribing him when he announced that he will not work as a doctor and his content shifted to random productivity stuff and he started to become more focused on discussing money.

I’m not British, I don’t know much about British education system, but the word „Cambridge” and the fact that he was able to afford to study and finish was remarable for me. I still can’t understand how you spend so may years on studying difficult field and you just give up, but ok it is his life and his choice.

Anyway, at first I’ve found it great to watch how he improves productivity, studies, works etc. But simply speaking he’s now become fake to the point I just can’t stand him.

He’s miserable, alone and looks creepy for a future dating person. I percive him as a person with OCD about productivity.

He’s unbearable and he soon will reach to the cringe point of a person from my country - Łukasz Jakóbiak (or Lucas Jakobiak) who has made a visiualitaion how he is on Ellen show, and since that time he’s his shadow because people thought he is just insane.

Did Ali not admit to being pushed into Medicine because of his family? Or perhaps someone pointed that out in this thread. Anyway, I don't blame him for discontinuing his journey as a doctor then tbh. It's a huge commitment and he got out of there fast. Also, with the money thing, he's probably trying to change his target audience from teenagers who are just embarking on their GCSEs/A Levels and d*ckride his every move.

I noticed that Ali and his brother spoke about this thread in their podcast. Ali evidently seemed a bit hurt, not the "I'm upset" type of hurt, but hurt as in the "hurt his ego" type of hurt, his eyes were screaming "wow I can't believe someone said that about me, so many people seem to admire me though". So much for a "stoic" lmao. Also his wannabes on YouTube copy his every move, from his set up to content, it's actually so creepy.

Reactions: 10
Exactly. I've seen so many channels pop up with the same set up and same videos. Super weird.

Or maybe just giving up on moving to the US to be a doctor, which I get completely. American board exams are long and arduous and moving there is very tricky. Then once you're there the work-life balance is awful and there's very little workers rights. He can go to most countries in the world without having to take extra exams with his degree and experience so I think he'll go to Australia or somewhere instead.
Could be so too. Considering how much he makes, he might think it's not that important either. Medicine is not really a fulfilling career unless you are passionate about it - irrespective of the money.

he truly did make these exact vids tho
he did and he said so himself - how he isn't completely innocent and would be more mindful henceforth and all that

Did Ali not admit to being pushed into Medicine because of his family? Or perhaps someone pointed that out in this thread. Anyway, I don't blame him for discontinuing his journey as a doctor then tbh. It's a huge commitment and he got out of there fast. Also, with the money thing, he's probably trying to change his target audience from teenagers who are just embarking on their GCSEs/A Levels and d*ckride his every move.

I noticed that Ali and his brother spoke about this thread in their podcast. Ali evidently seemed a bit hurt, not the "I'm upset" type of hurt, but hurt as in the "hurt his ego" type of hurt, his eyes were screaming "wow I can't believe someone said that about me, so many people seem to admire me though". So much for a "stoic" lmao. Also his wannabes on YouTube copy his every move, from his set up to content, it's actually so creepy.
many people take him as an inspiration tbh. i used to follow this student/productivity youtuber and visited his website too. the arrangement was like ali's website too. the similarities were uncanny.

Last edited:
I used to be subscribed to Ali back when he was still at Cambridge, I thought that he was just a really knowledgeable passionate guy who loved medicine and knew some great tips about the medicine application process and studying. But over the past two years.... I just can't stand his content. Not just the fact that his company charges hundreds of pounds for courses that directly contribute to the classism in the medicine application process but oof... His most recent video? Hit the nail on the head.

The fact that he indirectly said; "a doctor in the NHS will only ever save around 8 lives in their lifetime and I can save more by donating at least £24,000 to this charity, hence why I wanted to stay on YouTube" just really disgusted me. I don't understand why if he wants to stay on YouTube and do his business thing why he has to lowkey attack medicine? Why does he have to use these BS reasons to justify why he wants to do something he's passionate about? Just own up to it! Also, the fact that money seems to be a huge thing in his life; showing that he has it, is worth it, while that's not a bad thing; why can't he just own who he is. I just couldn't believe that he tried to use the fact that because more people watch his YouTube videos than however many he may or may not be able to help on the wards as a reason why being a doctor wasn't worth it to him.

Not just that but also all that stuff about "oh, but there's locums and the hospitals will always find someone to fill the gap". Dude, just own what you did. The whole country knew that the NHS was struggling. It was an unprecedented pandemic.

I'm just so disappointed in someone that I had previously perceived as quite genuine.

• Sick
Reactions: 16
So I personally don't like to "gossip" or even be on sites like this as I try to be empathetic towards people who have a large following or are public figures online knowing how tough it can be for them but this guy pissed me off enough to create this profile and mention this here.

I discovered Ali just like everyone for his productivity and his study videos, I initially liked his videos and even him. However that all changed one fine day when he kept using incel terminologies on his videos like "sexual market value" and tit like that. I have been way deep into RP and incel culture, I know how abusive and toxic it is especially with its so-called "science" (ironically debunked by the proponents of it's field) on women.
I initially thought it was just a joke he was using to make fun of these guys when he discovered this as well as he claimed to be politically left-wing and even people in the comment section were laughing over it so I just looked over it.
But then he kept adding books of the author Rollo proponent of that moment. Again, I try to give him the benefit of the doubt but it was the last straw for me, I just unfollowed him everywhere. He has young people following him especially men who will definitely be influenced by his recommendations.

I discovered this today and all my suspicions got confirmed. I am really surprised it wasn't picked up on this thread or no one even made a post on this on reddit. It's oddly a bit funny how he keeps getting mentioned in incel forums and someone here picked up how he feels like an incel, leading me to discover this forum. I never ever thought he will be like this given his overtly polite attitude on youtube that I took on face value, such a shame. I guess no amount of fame or money can help you with women if you're unattractive inside as well. His brother also seems to follow that author.

I've really taken time to address this as this is the only way I can address this even if I don't like it here, because it has bothered me a long time ago. This account might not be active in future as well .

Attachments

• Wow
  • Sick
Reactions: 20
I used to be subscribed to Ali back when he was still at Cambridge, I thought that he was just a really knowledgeable passionate guy who loved medicine and knew some great tips about the medicine application process and studying. But over the past two years.... I just can't stand his content. Not just the fact that his company charges hundreds of pounds for courses that directly contribute to the classism in the medicine application process but oof... His most recent video? Hit the nail on the head.

The fact that he indirectly said; "a doctor in the NHS will only ever save around 8 lives in their lifetime and I can save more by donating at least £24,000 to this charity, hence why I wanted to stay on YouTube" just really disgusted me. I don't understand why if he wants to stay on YouTube and do his business thing why he has to lowkey attack medicine? Why does he have to use these BS reasons to justify why he wants to do something he's passionate about? Just own up to it! Also, the fact that money seems to be a huge thing in his life; showing that he has it, is worth it, while that's not a bad thing; why can't he just own who he is. I just couldn't believe that he tried to use the fact that because more people watch his YouTube videos than however many he may or may not be able to help on the wards as a reason why being a doctor wasn't worth it to him.

Not just that but also all that stuff about "oh, but there's locums and the hospitals will always find someone to fill the gap". Dude, just own what you did. The whole country knew that the NHS was struggling. It was an unprecedented pandemic.

I'm just so disappointed in someone that I had previously perceived as quite genuine.
"a doctor in the NHS will only ever save around 8 lives in their lifetime and I can save more by donating at least £24,000 to this charity, hence why I wanted to stay on YouTube"

sounds like he is trying to be "productive" here, too 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 10
It's oddly a bit funny how he keeps getting mentioned in incel forums and someone here picked up how he feels like an incel, leading me to discover this forum
Just making a bit of an edit here, I think he probably have got mentioned due to his usage of their terminologies on that one video given the date and timeline, I shouldn't have mentioned them here.

So I personally don't like to "gossip" or even be on sites like this as I try to be empathetic towards people who have a large following or are public figures online knowing how tough it can be for them but this guy pissed me off enough to create this profile and mention this here.

I discovered Ali just like everyone for his productivity and his study videos, I initially liked his videos and even him. However that all changed one fine day when he kept using incel terminologies on his videos like "sexual market value" and tit like that. I have been way deep into RP and incel culture, I know how abusive and toxic it is especially with its so-called "science" (ironically debunked by the proponents of it's field) on women.
I initially thought it was just a joke he was using to make fun of these guys when he discovered this as well as he claimed to be politically left-wing and even people in the comment section were laughing over it so I just looked over it.
But then he kept adding books of the author Rollo proponent of that moment. Again, I try to give him the benefit of the doubt but it was the last straw for me, I just unfollowed him everywhere. He has young people following him especially men who will definitely be influenced by his recommendations.

I discovered this today and all my suspicions got confirmed. I am really surprised it wasn't picked up on this thread or no one even made a post on this on reddit. It's oddly a bit funny how he keeps getting mentioned in incel forums and someone here picked up how he feels like an incel, leading me to discover this forum. I never ever thought he will be like this given his overtly polite attitude on youtube that I took on face value, such a shame. I guess no amount of fame or money can help you with women if you're unattractive inside as well. His brother also seems to follow that author.

I've really taken time to address this as this is the only way I can address this even if I don't like it here, because it has bothered me a long time ago. This account might not be active in future as well .
This is going to sound thick, but: what is an incel?

Still surprised he talked about this thread. It’s pretty tame and is also away from his channel/social media spaces for a reason... so he doesn’t have to come across it. I wonder if he thought his followers would come here to defend him from...well, reasonable criticisms.

Last edited:
There's something so grating about this guy. Talks about productivity but can't get his hair washed properly 🙄 He also struggles with word salad. He keeps talking and talking about the same thing over and over again. He's not concise in expressing his message.

As other posters have mentioned, I don't know if he can enjoy anything in life anymore. Everything has to be 'efficient' and 'productive' to the extent that he probably can't find joy in anything that doesn't meet those criteria. It's a straight road to having an OCD.

His approach to dating is odd at best. People aren't products in a supermarket. Unfortunately, you need to take time to get to know others and sometimes finding love isn't easy, even if you read all self-help books out there. I think he may put off many women when they learn about his obsessive approach to life where everything has to be done on purpose and there's no time to sit back and relax. A great example was his dumb 'super productive piano learning' video. My partner was watching it and I caught a few glimpses. It totally put me off. I would love to play an instrument but if I had a teacher who would want me to train according to this monkey pattern, I think I'd give up ASAP.

Another thing is that the guy is clearly trying too hard. He attempts to come off as a cool bro but you can see the insecurity underneath which many can perceive as arrogance.

I don't have an issue with him abandoning medicine temporarily. I understand it is a tiring and often ungrateful job. But what shocked me is that while several times he mentioned interacting with colleagues as benefits of working in a hospital, he never mentioned working with patients and helping them with illnesses. Pretty weird if you ask me.

Reactions: 13

That locum comment 🥴, it’s that attitude of his. He tries to conceal his horrible attitude by pardoning it as Stoicism LMFKAGAGSJDJF

His approach to dating is odd at best. People aren't products in a supermarket. Unfortunately, you need to take time to get to know others and sometimes finding love isn't easy, even if you read all self-help books out there. I think he may put off many women when they learn about his obsessive approach to life where everything has to be done on purpose and there's no time to sit back and relax. A great example was his dumb 'super productive piano learning' video. My partner was watching it and I caught a few glimpses. It totally put me off. I would love to play an instrument but if I had a teacher who would want me to train according to this monkey pattern, I think I'd give up ASAP.
"People aren't products in a supermarket." Spot on. He doesn't seem entirely ready for a relationship either. It's probably familial pressure and a cultural thing about getting married before he turns 30 which is getting to him.

Reactions: 8
There's something so grating about this guy. Talks about productivity but can't get his hair washed properly 🙄 He also struggles with word salad. He keeps talking and talking about the same thing over and over again. He's not concise in expressing his message.

As other posters have mentioned, I don't know if he can enjoy anything in life anymore. Everything has to be 'efficient' and 'productive' to the extent that he probably can't find joy in anything that doesn't meet those criteria. It's a straight road to having an OCD.

Another thing is that the guy is clearly trying too hard. He attempts to come off as a cool bro but you can see the insecurity underneath which many can perceive as arrogance.

I don't have an issue with him abandoning medicine temporarily. I understand it is a tiring and often ungrateful job. But what shocked me is that while several times he mentioned interacting with colleagues as benefits of working in a hospital, he never mentioned working with patients and helping them with illnesses. Pretty weird if you ask me.
I have to agree, especially the last paragraph. I think Ali's a good example of someone who went into medicine for the wrong reasons and he basically admitted as much himself in this video. Despite that I was still surprised that he didn't recognise helping patients as any kind of benefit to the job - just 'banter' with colleagues. Then again, he previously described himself as having 'no internal care-o-meter' so I guess that fits. Personally I'd prefer a doctor who had not admitted that to the entire internet, skills or no skills.

Reactions: 8
This is going to sound thick, but: what is an incel?

Still surprised he talked about this thread. It’s pretty tame and is also away from his channel/social media spaces for a reason... so he doesn’t have to come across it. I wonder if he thought his followers would come here to defend him from...well, reasonable criticisms.
I suggest you to read about them on Wikipedia, do google search on the name shown on screenshot that are blocked.

Reactions: 4

Xanny, you really came through with the tea.

All I can say is WTF 🤢there's something wrong with this guy. He's always been sus. Something about him never sat right with me.

The funny thing is, he literally looks like an incel 😭. I heard incels can be a bit scary too.

The Twitter likes, the following, the books omg this guy is actually shameless. Imagine pushing 30 and liking tweets speaking about women like that, yuck. The fact he was working in gynaecology too...

Reactions: 15
Xanny, you really came through with the tea.

All I can say is WTF 🤢there's something wrong with this guy. He's always been sus. Something about him never sat right with me.

The funny thing is, he literally looks like an incel 😭. I heard incels can be a bit scary too.

The Twitter likes, the following, the books omg this guy is actually shameless. Imagine pushing 30 and liking tweets speaking about women like that, yuck. The fact he was working in gynaecology too...
Glad someone here finally knows what I am talking about as some users here seem to be unaware.

Holy tit I had no clue he worked as a gynaecologist, now it sounds more scary and quite gross.I also saw him once recommending this book on how to think more about sex on goodreads and on his video. I ignored it that time as well as it felt harmless but the dots seems to be connecting now

It’s not about his or anyone’s physical appearance here or whatever conventional attractiveness standard to determine that BUT the mentality and mindset we know about them with their misogyny, hypocrisy and entitlement towards women of those guys.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9
I was watching his live with Sheen and Elizabeth the other day and he was so weird and annoying, but I loved both the girls. I'm not sure why he got so pissed half way through the live ? Haven't watched a lot of videos of Elizabeth or Sheen(she has a podcast I think) but they seem so sweet and talented girls. Did anyone else also watch it, I think he also asked them to rate him on empathy at one point but I was falling asleep XD